Jump to content


How do I win games as a solo high tier BB?


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

SalvoSanta #1 Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:11 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 738
  • Member since:
    08-01-2016

I just cannot seem to win a [edited]game in my Montana. It started off great, but now - the caps are all red in the first 3 minutes, the 4 Des Moines on your team have no W key and just camp in a useless position, your Kurfurst hides, and your Yamato camps bow-on and MIGHT exceed 2 knots the whole game.

 

I want to push, nobody comes with me and I get torpedoed or HE spammed to death.

 

I stay with the rest of our team in the farthest corner of the map, I'm largely ineffective.

 

Seriously, what do I do to win? How do I influence the games? It's not a problem even in my Missouri. Just the Montana is [edited]impossible.



lron_Dog_of_Jutland #2 Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 263
  • Member since:
    09-04-2016
By not camping a billion miles behind the action

but supporting your team. Taking the damage for them - kill enemies focussing your DDs and so on... Not much different to low and mid tiers

MountainManxDan #3 Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 356
  • Member since:
    06-18-2015
Mostly in high tiers I see a lot of the same people and tend to make a mental note of who my style of play syncs up with.  Then I put my weight in the direction that I think will best help my team achieve victory and when I am solo high tier BB'ing it up I play midrange for a bit setting up on a strong position then make a judgement call on where I can put the hammer down and I take half the enemy team with me.  Then by hopes and RNGesus the rest of my team takes advantage of that.  Doesnt work 100% of the time but it works more than not.

                    Active USN - [NGA] - English/한국어


pmgaudio #4 Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

    Vice Admiral

  • Members

  • 8,782
  • Member since:
    05-30-2013

did something happen to you??
You lose your job??
GF break up with you>>>?

you seem very angry this morning... Three posts... all rants.... Just wondering if you might need to take a break and get rid of all this anger..:hiding:

this much stress is never good...




 “Leave the gun....
Take the Cannoli”
  __Clemenza

 

:child:


RipNuN2 #5 Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

    Commander

  • Members

  • 3,959
  • Member since:
    09-30-2014
:popcorn:

Teahee #6 Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 551
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

The three golden rules of solo-carrying a game:

 

  1. Survive. The longer you stay afloat, the longer you can deal damage, and have an impact on the game.
  2. Keep calm and carry on. Too many players accept defeat before the game is truly over, many "lost" games can be salvaged if played correctly. 
  3. Sometimes winning the game does not equal being a "nice" teammate. There will be times when sacrificing your allies, or using them as meatshields is the best course of action for winning the match, even though it is not a pleasant tactic. 

 

Join the Arpeggio of Blue Steel [ARP]    Visit us at: https://discord.gg/sMtnye7


Herr_Reitz #7 Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

    Captain

  • Beta Testers

  • 5,795
  • Member since:
    08-18-2014

View PostTeahee, on 09 May 2017 - 06:55 AM, said:

The three golden rules of solo-carrying a game:

 

  1. Survive. The longer you stay afloat, the longer you can deal damage, and have an impact on the game.
  2. Keep calm and carry on. Too many players accept defeat before the game is truly over, many "lost" games can be salvaged if played correctly. 
  3. Sometimes winning the game does not equal being a "nice" teammate. There will be times when sacrificing your allies, or using them as meatshields is the best course of action for winning the match, even though it is not a pleasant tactic. 

 

If doing #3, don't be obvious about it. We might be average players but we aren't all stupid. In fact, we'll draw the reds back to you, like a lost puppy looking for a home. 

 

Otherwise agree with 1&2... my best games have been in support of the team during the first half of the battle then working over the beat up reds to a win. If I could do this consistently, I'd be very good. I'm average - but I know the goal. 



Teahee #8 Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 551
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostHerr_Reitz, on 09 May 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

 

If doing #3, don't be obvious about it. We might be average players but we aren't all stupid. In fact, we'll draw the reds back to you, like a lost puppy looking for a home. 

 

Otherwise agree with 1&2... my best games have been in support of the team during the first half of the battle then working over the beat up reds to a win. If I could do this consistently, I'd be very good. I'm average - but I know the goal. 

 

Oh yes I fully agree that my third point is an ugly one. Throwing your teammates under the bus is never a good thing, however the sad truth is that the game meta currently rewards this style of play in some scenarios. 

 

Join the Arpeggio of Blue Steel [ARP]    Visit us at: https://discord.gg/sMtnye7


TenguBlade #9 Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

    Vice Admiral

  • Members

  • 9,258
  • Member since:
    06-21-2015

View Postlron_Dog_of_Jutland, on 09 May 2017 - 06:05 AM, said:

By not camping a billion miles behind the action

but supporting your team. Taking the damage for them - kill enemies focussing your DDs and so on... Not much different to low and mid tiers

Seeing as you have yet to see how even mid-tier BB play differs from low-tier BB play, I might suggest that you don't know what you're talking about.

 

A lack of communication is often what causes stagnation at high-tier.  People don't know what to do, so they fall back on primal instinct - which is to survive and forget about everyone else - until someone can convince them another plan is worth following.

 

That being said, it isn't as hard to make a difference as you might think: it's a matter of applying your ship correctly.  Rushing the enemy head-on is going to get you killed or maimed no matter how the tide of battle favors you - the Germans profit the most from it because of their secondaries, turtleback, and immense HP pools.  Montana in particular shouldn't be bow-tanking unless there isn't a more suitable candidate (that also has the HP to) available at the moment.  You always want to be moving and looking for an opportunity to put pressure on the enemy's flanks.  She may not be as fast or stealthy as the Missouri, but it's quite possible to pull off a flanking maneuver if you can find the time and place to execute it right.  This is where having your allies being stagnant works in your favor, because they're holding the line while you rush up the flank and feed on exposed citadels and broadsides.  Despite being "snipers," Yamato and Izumo don't work as well in this vein because of their bad concealment and weak AA (in a Montana or Iowa, you can fend a CV airstrike off alone, which you likely will be when flanking, at least for a bit), and so you just want to be trading places with the German BBs when it comes to absorbing hits.


Edited by TenguBlade, 09 May 2017 - 12:19 PM.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee


SalvoSanta #10 Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 738
  • Member since:
    08-01-2016

View Postpmgaudio, on 09 May 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

did something happen to you??
You lose your job??
GF break up with you>>>?

you seem very angry this morning... Three posts... all rants.... Just wondering if you might need to take a break and get rid of all this anger..:hiding:

this much stress is never good...

 

I actually got promoted at work today and it was great. Then I come home to play warships, I get detonated in my Montana and lose 8 games in a row because everybody goes to one side of the map, we get capped, I try to stop the cap, and get HE spammed to death. High tier people, especially from reputable clans, have no interest in winning but instead want to preserve their K/D ratio and damage numbers.

 

Why even bother playing?



crzyhawk #11 Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

    Admiral

  • Members
  • Beta Testers

  • 10,858
  • Member since:
    05-08-2015

View PostSalvoSanta, on 09 May 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

Why even bother playing high tiers?

 

Fixed that for you.  There's a reason I don't like to play my ships higher than T8.  I don't like the way people play the game in those tiers, so I play tiers where I like the way people tend to play better.



Mayhem1 #12 Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Testers

  • 411
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012
Some ships play better to your style. My WR in all my T10s BBs suck except for the GF. For my play style that ship works for me. I cant play the Yaamy or the Mont the same way. Never be up front and never be in far back. Try to pair up with another BB your tier, it seems to really help if you both focus fire on the same ship. Never sail in straight line even if the DDs are dead. Be unpredictable while sailing around.

 

 

 


Umikami #13 Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Beta Testers

  • 2,582
  • Member since:
    05-14-2013

get a destroyer

it is easier to influence games in a DD

faster to get where you want to be

easier to avoid detection when you are there

easier to farm damage with killer torpedus

DD is the answer to ALL your BB problems

relax

enjoy

come to the bright side

the right side

the light side



TTK_Aegis #14 Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,290
  • Member since:
    01-27-2016

If there are carriers, try to stick with a cruiser or two. Just don't go out alone or you'll be easy to pick off.
Otherwise, follow the DDs. Remember as a BB your primary job is to kill the cruisers that hunt your friendly DDs. So go do that. 

And that's basically it really. You don't want to follow them right into the cap because you're big and unwieldy but you do want to follow in and delete cruisers for them and if you're close enough to shell enemy DDs with your secondaries, even better.

If you get overrun, don't be ashamed to withdraw. You have heals. Try not to sink before you run out of them. 



dEsTurbed1 #15 Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

  • 1,735
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

Push with your team. Tank damage, heal up and tank more.

One shot cruisers.

Play the objective, get caps, defend caps and react to situations on mini map.

 


 

 

THIS IS NOT WORLD OF BATTLESHIPS...CRY MORE AND IT WILL BE....

"REMOVE STEALTH TORP CHEAT"-Forum topic  found 4/17

If you wanted nuetuered IJN destroyers you succeeded. You could give them 3 sec turret rotation and rail guns to 20 km...it's lack of rof and stealthy torps that are needed.


Ghostdog1355 #16 Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 860
  • Member since:
    04-28-2016

View PostHerr_Reitz, on 09 May 2017 - 06:01 AM, said:

 

If doing #3, don't be obvious about it. We might be average players but we aren't all stupid. In fact, we'll draw the reds back to you, like a lost puppy looking for a home.

 

Otherwise agree with 1&2... my best games have been in support of the team during the first half of the battle then working over the beat up reds to a win. If I could do this consistently, I'd be very good. I'm average - but I know the goal.

 

Good response.

"The reason we call ships 'she' is that is costs so much to keep one in paint and powder." - Chester W. Nimitz

~ USS Texas (BB-35) ~


ANDROMADA #17 Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

    Petty Officer

  • Beta Testers

  • 68
  • Member since:
    12-17-2012

View Postlron_Dog_of_Jutland, on 09 May 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

By not camping a billion miles behind the action

I don't know... the idea of camping out to the orbit of Saturn does hold some romance.



lron_Dog_of_Jutland #18 Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 263
  • Member since:
    09-04-2016

View PostTenguBlade, on 09 May 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

Seeing as you have yet to see how even mid-tier BB play differs from low-tier BB play, I might suggest that you don't know what you're talking about.

 

A lack of communication is often what causes stagnation at high-tier.  People don't know what to do, so they fall back on primal instinct - which is to survive and forget about everyone else - until someone can convince them another plan is worth following.

 

That being said, it isn't as hard to make a difference as you might think: it's a matter of applying your ship correctly.  Rushing the enemy head-on is going to get you killed or maimed no matter how the tide of battle favors you - the Germans profit the most from it because of their secondaries, turtleback, and immense HP pools.  Montana in particular shouldn't be bow-tanking unless there isn't a more suitable candidate (that also has the HP to) available at the moment.  You always want to be moving and looking for an opportunity to put pressure on the enemy's flanks.  She may not be as fast or stealthy as the Missouri, but it's quite possible to pull off a flanking maneuver if you can find the time and place to execute it right.  This is where having your allies being stagnant works in your favor, because they're holding the line while you rush up the flank and feed on exposed citadels and broadsides.  Despite being "snipers," Yamato and Izumo don't work as well in this vein because of their bad concealment and weak AA (in a Montana or Iowa, you can fend a CV airstrike off alone, which you likely will be when flanking, at least for a bit), and so you just want to be trading places with the German BBs when it comes to absorbing hits.

 

Not so much bad communication but most ppl don't care unfortunately. I obviously didn't mean you should yolo Rush - but that is clear anyway I hope. But staying back isn't helpful either. You survive longer but the battle will be decided without you.

 

If you are experienced it is helpful to give clear direction. Most will follow as long as at least some one takes the helm. Second you need situational awareness to be at the right spot. Covering your DDs is not always easy but a big advantage if successful. At least against cruisers you are more than capable to help - given you are not protecting the border of the map. And yes - third: you should push if there is either a good opening on the hot flank or if you are against a weak flank. 

 

Using your team as meat shield is absolute b.s. - YOU are the meat shield as you have armour and HP. Use your armour to keep your team alive - there is no benefit at all if you are the only one left alive. 

 

Sniping is for snipers. Battles are for battleships.



ANDROMADA #19 Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

    Petty Officer

  • Beta Testers

  • 68
  • Member since:
    12-17-2012

View Postlron_Dog_of_Jutland, on 09 May 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

 

Not so much bad communication but most ppl don't care unfortunately. I obviously didn't mean you should yolo Rush - but that is clear anyway I hope. But staying back isn't helpful either. You survive longer but the battle will be decided without you.

 

If you are experienced it is helpful to give clear direction. Most will follow as long as at least some one takes the helm. Second you need situational awareness to be at the right spot. Covering your DDs is not always easy but a big advantage if successful. At least against cruisers you are more than capable to help - given you are not protecting the border of the map. And yes - third: you should push if there is either a good opening on the hot flank or if you are against a weak flank. 

 

Using your team as meat shield is absolute b.s. - YOU are the meat shield as you have armour and HP. Use your armour to keep your team alive - there is no benefit at all if you are the only one left alive. 

 

Sniping is for snipers. Battles are for battleships.

Battleships =/= Heavy Tanks



centarina #20 Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

    Rear Admiral

  • Members

  • 7,091
  • Member since:
    08-15-2015

if you can do 100k dmg and tank 100k dmg,  you will be helping your team.      Always run premium heal and repair.    having enough situation awareness to push when opportunity comes, but run when you need to.  always have exit plan with cover.     learning to use cover is very important to reduce dmg.   beyond that you have 12 guns that can delete cruisers.  learn to aim well.  

 

BB= heavy tank, but even heavy tank cannot be allowed to be focused and expect survival.     avoid being focused.  pushing is all about knowing when.  


IJN: Mikasa,  Ichizuchi, Fuso, Amagi, Katori, kuma, Zao, Tachibana, KamikazeR, Shinonome, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki, Yugumo PA Anshan  

             VFM: Aurora,Svietlana,  Murmansk, Budyonny, Chapayev, D.Donskoi, Ognevoi, Kiev, Tashkent, Udaloi, Khab  FRDougay T, Le Gal

USN:   New York, North Carolina,Phoenix,  Marblehead,  Indianapolis, Baltimore,  Farragut, Sims,Benson,Fletcher, Bogue    RN Leander, Edinburgh   

KM:  Konig Albert, Bayern, Graf Spee, Gneisenau, Bismarck, FDG, Emden, Karlsruhe  , Roon, Lib Maas         ARP: Kongo, Myoko, Haruna, Kirishima, Ashigara, Hiei, Haguro,  Nachi, Takao

Notser Certified Potato





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users