"T4 CVs Are Ruined Without Alt-attack"

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Palladia #21 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostTenguBlade, on 08 May 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

Even at T4 it was a nation-specific problem.  Against the USN, the alt-attacks were only really a problem for people who didn't know that turning into torpedoes screws manual drops up by causing them to strike before arming.  Langley's DBs are pathetic in damage and spread, and the manual-drop bubble didn't help much.  Hosho's torpedo bombers are the real issue.

How are the USN auto-drops performing at that level now?  I heard they buffed them to drop closer to the target which was...desperately needed.  Considering rebuying my Langley for some low stress low tier CV matches.

RECON_RANGER #22 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:47 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostSluggerJackson, on 08 May 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

I found tier V CVs very difficult to play without the Alt-Attack option.  I free XPd to the tier VI as quickly as I could. 

That is why WG did it, to make u use Free XP. 
dark.png

SeaKnight_1990 #23 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostRECON_RANGER, on 09 May 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

That is why WG did it, to make u use Free XP. 

XP I'd rather save for the Missouri.

dark.png

RECON_RANGER #24 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:58 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostUmikami, on 08 May 2017 - 11:18 PM, said:

Actually, I have read complaints in the Forum which state the exact opposite; that the AI can control the CV UI much better than any human can, making games against a bot CV very exciting. I do NOT know this from personal experience; the only CV I ever played regularly was a Bogue I used to do shoot down X number of aircraft missions with. But I have read that bot CV's are not pushovers.

Carriers, as a class of ships, need their secondaries buffed a bit. for ships with some of the best AA in the game they have remarkably weak secondary fire.

I play tier 3 and 4 COOP almost exclusively and I can tell you that BOT CV's routinely outplay Human CV's, routinely.  I have been in several games in which a tier 4 BOT CV had 5 kills and was the last ship alive on both teams carrying the game.  I have a 96.5% winrate and it used to be well over 98% until WG made the CV change.  Now, tier 4 is hazardous because tier 4 AA is so weak if you are last alive against a full health CV you have no chance, especially in a BB. 

I have recently switched from tier 4 to tier 3 because of this issue, bad Human CV play in COOP.  So far, I am undefeated in the Tenryu and Katori, 68 for 68 with a 16 and 23 kill to death ratio including a 6 kill game in the Katori.  Yes, I killed 6 of the 8 BOTS.  It was epic.  I was 1 against 4 and pulled it out.  The Katori reloads it's torps so fast  you literally can just keep turning and shooting torps as fast as you can turn back and forth and she turns on a dime.

I have also been playing some tier 1 COOP and I have to say it's a lot of fun.  

dark.png

RECON_RANGER #25 Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:05 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostPalladia, on 10 May 2017 - 01:42 AM, said:

How are the USN auto-drops performing at that level now?  I heard they buffed them to drop closer to the target which was...desperately needed.  Considering rebuying my Langley for some low stress low tier CV matches.

The auto-drops are much better, but the straffing is what really hurts losing and makes it so boring now to play tier 4 and 5 CV's.  There is just little to no skill involved anymore.  I don't play higher tier CV's because the AA is ridiculous at high tiers and I can't control that many squadrons.  I used to love playing tier 4 and 5 CV's, but I sold them all so WG got their wish. 

Do you think it is ODD that WG removed ALT attack from COOP too?  Why do that?  Is WG concerned about seal clubbing BOTS?   

dark.png

Shoukaku_Kai_Ni #26 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Well for one, those are a select few games to display. Also they're against bots which is ridiculous to compare to, no matter how poor your experience is in pvp.

The removal of manual drops made those CVs significantly less effective. So yeah you can still do damage, but they're not at the same seal-clubbing level as they were previously.

Balance/seal-club aside, they reduced their gameplay to amateur levels with the strictly point-and-click style. I wouldn't believe someone who says they know CVs or even tried them if they did not play through T6, where you actually get to play them.

Unicum in CVs, CAs, DDs

Earned Shoukaku's camo via rank 1 (doubloons) in season 4!

Carrier_Lexington #27 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostShoukaku_Kai_Ni, on 10 May 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

Balance/seal-club aside, they reduced their gameplay to amateur levels with the strictly point-and-click style. I wouldn't believe someone who says they know CVs or even tried them if they did not play through T6, where you actually get to play them.

Also, where the IJN begins to outnumber the USN in everything.

"Heresy!"

TenguBlade #28 Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostPalladia, on 09 May 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

They might have, but it hasn't done jack for all I care.  If you read the OP, I went pink in those battles because I detonated an allied ship with a stray torpedo.  If I'd manual-dropped, it wouldn't have hit him.

Edited by TenguBlade, 10 May 2017 - 08:26 PM.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

Carrier_Lexington #29 Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostTenguBlade, on 10 May 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

They might have, but it hasn't done jack for all I care.  If you read the OP, I went pink in those battles because I detonated an allied ship with a stray torpedo.  If I'd manual-dropped, it wouldn't have hit him.

I went pink for killing a low-health ally cruiser with a stray torpedo once in Ranger, because I was too busy fending-off a CV-snipe wave to micro the drop, which, of course, turned-into an auto drop, killed the enemy Gneisenau, and, 3 seconds and almost a full torpedo-range later, hit the ally Nurnberg.

Although, seriously, (s)he should have been able to dodge that.

"Heresy!"

centarina #30 Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

for me,  post alt  drop has been a buff for  Bogue.   autodrop  is easy to farm at t5.  I used to suck at bogue in random, but I did play 5 matches post and doing pretty well.     frankly, all the tiers should go auto drop  :D

Bogue 5 CV USA 5 40.00% 59,641 925 2.3 1.4 12.4 40% 0% 0% 1,678

IJN: Mikasa,  Ichizuchi, Fuso, Amagi, Katori, kuma, Zao, Tachibana, KamikazeR, Shinonome, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki, Yugumo PA Anshan  

VFM: Aurora,Svietlana,  Murmansk, Budyonny, Chapayev, D.Donskoi, Ognevoi, Kiev, Udaloi,Grosovoi,  Khab  FRDougay T, Le Gal

USN:   New York, North Carolina,Phoenix,  Marblehead,  Indianapolis, Baltimore,  Farragut, Sims,Benson,Fletcher, Bogue    RN Leander, Edinburgh   

KM:  Konig Albert, Bayern, Graf Spee, Gneisenau, Bismarck, FDG, Emden, Karlsruhe  , Roon, Lib Maas         ARP:All

Notser Certified Potato

Palladia #31 Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostShoukaku_Kai_Ni, on 10 May 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

Well for one, those are a select few games to display. Also they're against bots which is ridiculous to compare to, no matter how poor your experience is in pvp.

The removal of manual drops made those CVs significantly less effective. So yeah you can still do damage, but they're not at the same seal-clubbing level as they were previously.

Torpedo bombers are a bit more complicated than that.  Its important to adjust the angle of the drop prior to dropping ((essential in USN)) in order to match the angle of the targets turn.  Everything else though yeah,  point and click and forget.  I mean you can alter the angle of drops from your DB's but there is little reason to do so.

Johnny_Cyclone #32 Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

I can deal without close in Auto Drops, but I need my adjustable torp spread back. Hit too many friendly's with wide, and/or can't shoot narrow passages without a wasted torp or two. (note: hitting even one teammate in a gaming session is too many, but wide spread makes it way harder to avoid when torps are going long)

If i could have one more thing it would be adjustable drop area on dive bombers, But torpedo spread is my biggest issue.

I can't count how many times I've had to let planes loiter around while I waited for friendly's to get way clear, or when I couldn't hit a beached BB because torp spread is set wide by default (I could deal with the long shot, but the spread was killing me).

I don't miss Strafe as long as no one else has it either.. lol

Nikarus #33 Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

I hate that alt attack was removed. Mainly because I can't get a match in my bogue that doesn't include a T6 CV on the other side... and I'm basically worthless. Even if I ran an AS loadout, there's be no point, I'd just get strafed and lose all my planes.

Better yet though is the allied carriers who see no qualms with sacrificing my full squadron to take out...2 enemy fighters (2 planes, not squadrons) that I was able to catch.

aethervox #34 Posted Yesterday, 09:33 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

Well, TenguBlade, I don't have a 19pt Cpt on any ship. My best Cpts (14 pts) are on my highest ground out ships now (they transferred as they advanced).

14 for my Essex, 13 for my Hiryu (Yamato, which I just got has the 14 pter) then only 10 for my Hosho (I've had it a long time now) & the Bogue just 3 ( I just re-purchased it).

I just want a good 'Ho' (lol) (& the name play is why I have kept it).

It does get frustrating, sometimes, to have the enemy continually avoid two squadron TB attacks.

Edited by aethervox, Yesterday, 09:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users