HE vs AP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

800300 #1 Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Do you switch back and forth that much, if so when, or just leave it on one type? Mainly referring battles where i am in a Battleship

Thank you

Edited by 800300, 07 May 2017 - 11:57 AM.

CruiserQuincy #2 Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

On Battleships, ammo swapping isn't very important in my opinion. You can actually get away with using only AP by aiming at the superstructure or softer armored parts when your target tries to angle and still do more damage with AP than swapping to HE. I'll only use HE on a BB if I'm 100% sure a heavily angled enemy battleship has used their damage control party and said fire will stick for a full duration, and then will still swap right back to AP because it is the main source of damage for BBs.

On Cruisers and Destroyers, swapping back and forth between AP and HE and knowing what and where you can pen to make said decision is extremely important though, those two classes require more thought to maximize gun damage than BBs do.

CapnCappy #3 Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

Commander

• Members

Battleships should use HE against ships that are heavily angled and/or at a distance  (12+km away).

Otherwise, you should use AP.

I often find myself just using AP and aiming for their superstructure (and getting decent damage... say 4K) but there are times I switch to HE because I'm not doing enough damage. Mainly you're looking for fires with long-range HE.

Contrast that with BBs I see just using HE on everything and they're missing out on a lot of pen/citadel damage on cruisers.

Raven114 #4 Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I use HE in BB's at max range to get some fires going, then switch to AP when the range closes to up the damage.:look:

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao #5 Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

Ensign

• Alpha Tester

I can't remember the last time I used HE in a battleship, I think it was that tier 4 premium IJN BB because it's AP is sooooo bad. Most people will tell u they use it at long range and in a bow on fight which I think is wrong, at long/max range you can get plunging fire and are more likely to do damage with AP. In a bow on fight u just need to know the capabilities of your ship and the weak spots of the enemy, it's more advantageous to being fireing AP in both situations. As to DDs I still stick with AP because if you hit a meaty part or they are bow on you have a chance to delete them

AM Fog Heavy Cruiser Takao. Top 5 Anime: Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Gate-Thus the JSDF Fought There, The Familiar of Zero, A Certain Magical Index/Scientific Railgun, and Steins;Gate

Estimated_Prophet #6 Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostFog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao, on 07 May 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

I can't remember the last time I used HE in a battleship, I think it was that tier 4 premium IJN BB because it's AP is sooooo bad. Most people will tell u they use it at long range and in a bow on fight which I think is wrong, at long/max range you can get plunging fire and are more likely to do damage with AP. In a bow on fight u just need to know the capabilities of your ship and the weak spots of the enemy, it's more advantageous to being fireing AP in both situations. As to DDs I still stick with AP because if you hit a meaty part or they are bow on you have a chance to delete them

Where are these bow on citadels of which you speak? I aim high, I aim lower; I get jack squat.

Missing out on citadels? You mean the RNG blessed 1 out of 10, or 20, or 30, or however many other cruddy hits? I say instead you're missing out on DoT fires.

Maybe if stupid overpens didn't happen so often, people would use AP more. So much fun to watch a raft of shells scatter themselves between the main guns on a broadside target and get peanuts for damage.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

Squidward_Tentpoles #7 Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:58 AM

Seaman

• Members

BB-wise, I've always stuck with AP. Citadel hits with those are unforgiving to the enemy when it comes to damage. I think the only time I've ever used HE for them is against DDs, just to set them on fire in case they survive the initial barrage with a silver of health.

As for Cruisers I go mainly HE (especially against BBs, as lighting them ablaze is necessary to make them waste repairs quickly) but will go AP against other Cruisers.

Edited by Squidward_Tentpoles, 08 May 2017 - 05:48 AM.

A_Horde_of_Sharks #8 Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:42 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Coming from a BB main, AP is going to be your primary tool for dealing the most damage.  The best times when you should swap to HE rounds depends heavily on the current Battleship your running. 

For example:

You have two Battleships firing at a heavily angled Warspite about 12 km away. 

One is a Fuso, the other is a Nagato.

The Nagato has massive guns for her tier, meaning it should still punch through Warspite's armor and do a large amount of damage with AP.

Fuso on the other hand has smaller guns and may not be able to fully penetrate the Warspite when heavily angled.  HE rounds have one advantage in this situation, they don't care about angling.  The Fuso should switch to HE when confronting the angled Warspite to avoid bounces.

dark.png

"I never thought I would be avenged by a mass of carnivorous fish."  -Doomlock

_____________________________________________________________

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users