How to use Radio Location captain skill?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

KDEstroy #1 Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Today I decided to give it a try with a twelve-point captain on my Nurnberg. Upon entering a match, a white arc appears on my screen. I assume that points in the direction of the nearest enemy ship. How can I use that information to my advantage? It doesn't give me the distance to the enemy ship, so I still have no idea where they are. Say the radio location finder points directly at an island. It could be a destroyer waiting to ambush me with torps, or it could be a battleship camping 20 km behind the island. From my personal experience, the latter is more likely. And since the battleship is out of my range, in this situation the skill is useless.

Most people recommend using it to flush out destroyers in smoke. However, I play destroyers, and I know firsthand it's not that easy. When I'm in a destroyer and I pop smoke, I continue to move back and forth at quarter speed. That way, I can dodge torpedoes fired at me. In this case, radio location would not help, because you need to aim ahead of a moving target. Also, RL only points to the closest enemy, and if I'm already that close, I might as well charge in and pop hydro.

Overall, Radio location is useless against enemies that are too far away, and for closer enemies I might as well use hydro. I feel as though getting the radio location skill was the worst decision I ever made in WoWs, it should be a 2-point skill at most, Priority Target was more useful for Nurnberg, I should have gone for IFHE or CE or DE instead. Has anyone had success with this captain skill?

Edited by KDEstroy, 05 May 2017 - 11:18 PM.

BladedPheonix #2 Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:54 PM

Captain

• Alpha Tester

you wasted your skills points. RL doesn't force DDs out of smoke at all, its not like the radar consumable where it reveals the enemy ship. :read_fish: all it does is show the nearest enemy, nothing more/nothing less....

Wulfgarn #3 Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:55 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I'm not home to link, but go to YouTube look at Flamu videos.

The latest with RPF was the Shima. A month or so ago he did vids specifically for RPF (in the title).

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee, Konig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

Fishrokk #4 Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:58 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

For Nurnberg, I'd have gone CE for sure.

I haven't taken the skill yet, but I will probably take it as my second 4-point skill for at least one of my IJN DD captains.  I see it as more useful for these boats where you will be engaging in a vision game against the enemy DD's, where you are almost always out-gunned and also as a skill that gains value the longer the battle goes on.

As for using the information it provides you to your advantage, at the start it will tell you if the closest ship to you has decided to take an unusual route out of the gate.  It can only indicate a camping battleship 20km out if there are no other ships closer to you than that.  If your team is spotting something else closer to you than that, it's probably a DD setting up an ambush.  As the enemy team thins and the match progresses, you'll be able to use what Radio Location gives you with better accuracy as far as what you're probably detecting and about how far away you can expect it.

“OPEN FIRE WHEN READY. FEAR GOD. DREADNOUGHT.” - R Adm J Edward Snyder, USS New Jersey (BB-62)

I'm trying to expand my mind.  First I gotta do something about all these hobgoblins.

HMCS_Devilfish #5 Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:03 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I tried this skill and found it usless, a 1 point skill at best it may have some limeted use towards the end of a close game with few ships left

AVR_Project #6 Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:10 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I have a variety of low tier cruisers I was playing with in Co-Op.  Some still have the RD on the captain skill.

I usually prefer CE, But still I got into playing with it in some matches today.

Last ship is usually the CV, so I highlight for the rest of the team, the general direction of it.

Finally, someone gets in range..   Guess what?  The RD pointer isn't very accurate.

I'm thinking it jumps in 10 degree increments, since the CV was not where RD was pointing.

So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5

DeMatt #7 Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:23 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

RPF's utility is extremely dependent on your personal situational awareness.

1. You need to know the distance to the closest visible ship - that gives you an upper limit on how far away the RPF-detected ship is.
  2. If RPF is pointing at that closest visible ship, you're done - aside from the edge case of a closer ship directly between you and that visible ship.
  3. If not, you know that somebody is closer than the closest visible ship.  You need to figure out whether they could be hiding behind terrain (and thus any type of ship), or whether you have a direct line of sight (and thus it's stealthy, and probably a destroyer).

As such, RPF depends very heavily on your ability to scout.  Since destroyers are the most capable at scouting, RPF has the most utility for destroyers, allowing them to know when they're getting close to an enemy destroyer without actually having to spot him.

RPF's definitely not a first pick - not when it's up against the likes of CE or AFT.

silverdahc #8 Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:33 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I do like the rdf on my hunter destroyers yeah I find it very useful but that's also with 19 Point captain and again only on Hunter Destroyers, not torpedo Destroyers

But this skill has definitely hampered the days of the Japanese torpedo Destroyer running around on the flanks with nobody noticing

Edited by silverdahc, 06 May 2017 - 12:36 AM.

"It is very hard to swim up hill."         

Mark Schlereth

Khafni #9 Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I found it most useful in the end game when you had to track down the remaining enemy ships. At the start it isn't very useful and it'll swing right to left quite often and leave you guessing. DeMatt and silverdahc have it right. I took it off all of my ships because I didn't think it helpful enough for the point cost.

Herr_Reitz #10 Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:07 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

I have it on my Shinonome commander... who also runs in m Kami R... it's useful if you understand it. I like it at match opening when I'm approaching a cap. And as everyone else has stated, end game it can be very worthwhile. 

As originally developed it told you precisely where the nearest red ship was located; so precisely you could launch torps at the indicated location. They dialed it back before release so you only get an approximation of where the ship is located... still, it's better than nothing and about the closest thing to radar/hydro you'll get for DD's not having those options. 

Seamus_44 #11 Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:19 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I use on my YSN and IJN DDs. It lets me know which way the closest bad is when capping or hunting. With the ships with lots of fish it can let you know a good location for spamming fish. On my RU DDs I go for better gun range and fire starter options..

Psycodiver #12 Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

It's a ok early and late game skill in some ships, like certain destroyers going for a cap early game will know if another DD is coming that way or as others said in late game in hunting down remaining ships

PigBot50 #13 Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

Seaman

• Members

I have RPF in my Sims and I love it.  BUT I did get CE first.  With regards to a cruiser though I'm not sure how useful it is (maybe if you are a DD hunter).  Here's how I use it in my Sims.

Early game and you are heading to a Cap.  RPF can help tell you, will it be contested or not?  That by itself is important.  If the cap is likely empty I'll tell any accompanying ships to go elsewhere and not waste their time (depends on the situation of course).  If you are heading to the cap at an angle and the RPF indicator holds steady at a particular angle then the other ship is on an intersect course to you.  Since they are likely a DD you can usually estimate their location based on how close you are able to get to the cap.  At the very least I'll give friendlies a heads up so we can have our guns pointed in the right direction.

I've had RPF jump from one spot to another while attempting to cap.  At that point I KNEW 2 DDs were in the the cap with me.  At the very least I can get into a defensive posture and warn friendlies.

Cap contesting.  Lets' say the other DD pops smoke and they are preventing your cap.  I've used RPF to torp the smoke.  By no means is RL a guaranteed hit but at least I can estimate left, right or middle smoke for my shot.  I have gotten decent hits this way.  Its certainly better than guessing.

Saving friendlies.  I was capping one time and the opposing DD left the cap circle.  A friendly BB was skirting the cap circle behind an island and I was able to warn him that the opposing DD was in front of him (we were on the edge of the map so with RPF and the island location there was only one place the DD could be).  I saved him from eating a bunch of torps.  Without RPF I knew the DD broke off but I had no idea if he had retreated or advanced.  In this case he had advanced.  The friendly BB was initially dubious but together we hunted and killed the DD.  The BB couldn't thank me enough afterwards.

Saving myself.  On estuary I was the last survivor on my team (in my Sims) vs. a Scharnhorst.  If he could cap we would lose so I knew I needed to keep resetting the cap while he was in it.  OTOH I couldn't face him in a straight up fight since he would obviously kill me.  We played a game of cat and mouse through the islands and RPF allowed me to blind torp him when he came around an island while allowing me to always disappear within a few seconds (the islands prevent line of sight so I wouldn't otherwise know where he was until I could see him which may be too late).  I didn't kill him but he did eat some torps and we won.  RPF allowed me to always keep an island between him and myself.  I gotta say, my heart was racing on that one.

Two Brothers: I can usually detect a channel dash.  Knowing channel dash or not allows optimal team positioning.

RPF has tricked me sometimes though.  On neighbors once I was heading to the A cap and RPF was pointing back to the red base.  So I assumed they were still at their base.  Really through the nearest ship was COMING from the base and I blundered into a DD (which was closest) and a BB (which was very slightly further away) who had a great angle on me.  I think I died on that one.  Another time I was using RPF to hunt a ship that I raced to the cap.  I came around the island fully expecting to fight a DD and I find myself facing an Atago at close range.  I survived that one but got hurt pretty bad.  In both cases RPF was technically correct but it was MY assumptions that I wrapped around it that got me into trouble.

tugdual #14 Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

RPF is OP skill, but i don't want use legal cheat. I respect ennemy player.

You can correct my spelling error pls, i not good in english.

Fishrokk #15 Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View Posttugdual, on 09 May 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

What's a 'legal cheat'?

“OPEN FIRE WHEN READY. FEAR GOD. DREADNOUGHT.” - R Adm J Edward Snyder, USS New Jersey (BB-62)

I'm trying to expand my mind.  First I gotta do something about all these hobgoblins.

WolfmanJack99 #16 Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View Posttugdual, on 09 May 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Trollololol

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved."
-Sun Tzu

light.png

http://na.warshipstoday.com/signature/1003540199/light.png

paradat #17 Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

I find it useful in spoiling an ambush but in most cases there is a better skill to take.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users