Go Home, Pilots, You're Drunk

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

TenguBlade #1 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

Posted Image

On a side note, I wonder how effective torpedoes would be if deployed from a level bomber like that...

Edited by TenguBlade, 05 May 2017 - 06:13 PM.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

saagri #2 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

No premium damage control party? >_>

I hate planes.

saagri 

• Plays a mix of cruisers (excellent), destroyers (excellent), battleships (excellent) and aircraft carriers (very good)
  • Deals a large amount of damage
  • Often finishes damaged enemies
  • Key vehicle - Kiev

TenguBlade #3 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View Postsaagri, on 05 May 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

No premium damage control party? >_>

Why?  It's Co-op, and I didn't use premium consumables at all for well over half of my WoWS career.  It's not like I don't know how to play without them, I can just be more aggressive with them - which is inconsequential against bots, because they always rush.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

X15 #4 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Secondary hits say you don't play pansy Yamato. I approve.

Tier 10 bots tho...

Edited by X15, 05 May 2017 - 06:21 PM.

TenguBlade #5 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostX15, on 05 May 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

Secondary hits say you don't play pansy Yamato. I approve.

Tier 10 bots tho...

You commented on the reason why I won't bother with T10 randoms for a while, didn't you?:P

Seriously though, nobody besides me finds it odd that those TBs are flying at dive bomber altitude?  They're almost directly on top of me and that high up...

saagri #6 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostTenguBlade, on 05 May 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

You commented on the reason why I won't bother with T10 randoms for a while, didn't you?:P

Seriously though, nobody besides me finds it odd that those TBs are flying at dive bomber altitude?  They're almost directly on top of me and that high up...

According to Minimap they are just within the 3.7km AA ring. Although they do look quite high up. When they get into drop range they usually dive closer to the water though. 

I hate planes.

saagri 

• Plays a mix of cruisers (excellent), destroyers (excellent), battleships (excellent) and aircraft carriers (very good)
  • Deals a large amount of damage
  • Often finishes damaged enemies
  • Key vehicle - Kiev

Kombat_W0MBAT #7 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

Commander

• Members

https://youtu.be/kcBW2r8-abk?t=22s

Looks like the Yamato film got it right. See the subtitles.

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT, 05 May 2017 - 06:47 PM.

BrushWolf #8 Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

It looks like the TB's had just gone over the island but torpedoes only needed to be dropped low and slow early in the war.

Ich lasse mir doch nicht mein Schiff unter dem Arsch wegschießen. Feuererlaubnis! (I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!) Ernst Lindemann Captain KMS Bismarck

TenguBlade #9 Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostBrushWolf, on 05 May 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

It looks like the TB's had just gone over the island but torpedoes only needed to be dropped low and slow early in the war.

They went over the peak a while ago - unless the terrain-following algorithm changed, they should have dropped down to normal level by now.  I should also note that a couple other squads that I missed the screenshot on flew at the same level all the way over and beyond my ship.

crzyhawk #10 Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View PostKombat_W0MBAT, on 05 May 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

https://youtu.be/kcBW2r8-abk?t=22s

Looks like the Yamato film got it right. See the subtitles.

To be fair, the USN liked to use the Avenger as a glide-bomber, especially early in the war when there was little trust in the torpedoes.  An Avenger glide-bombing with 4 X 500 pounders each can be very dangerous.

crzyhawk #11 Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View PostBrushWolf, on 05 May 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

This, by the end of the war, the USN could drop torpedoes from ~2400ft, and ~400 knots due to the wooden shrouds put on the nose and fins of the torpedo.  I'm not sure if the IJN was as flexible late war.

Apaosha #12 Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

L M F A O Drunk pilots???  So is that why the planes are always circling around before they drop their load? lol

BrushWolf #13 Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View Postcrzyhawk, on 05 May 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

This, by the end of the war, the USN could drop torpedoes from ~2400ft, and ~400 knots due to the wooden shrouds put on the nose and fins of the torpedo.  I'm not sure if the IJN was as flexible late war.

By the late war the Japanese had pretty much lost the ability to attack shipping with bombs & torpedoes because of an extreme lack of trained pilots. They were rather flexible during the early parts of the war as they had to figure out how to drop torpedoes in a shallow harbor.

Ich lasse mir doch nicht mein Schiff unter dem Arsch wegschießen. Feuererlaubnis! (I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!) Ernst Lindemann Captain KMS Bismarck

BladedPheonix #14 Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

Captain

• Alpha Tester

View PostTenguBlade, on 05 May 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Posted Image

On a side note, I wonder how effective torpedoes would be if deployed from a level bomber like that...

historically they'd explode on impact with the water. arial torpedoes had to be dropped at a certain level and speed otherwise the warheads (which were 90% of the time contact fuses and very sensative) would explode!:read_fish:

Edited by BladedPheonix, 05 May 2017 - 08:42 PM.

BladedPheonix #15 Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

Captain

• Alpha Tester

View Postcrzyhawk, on 05 May 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

no, by late war, Japan was no longer able carry out successful torpedo attacks. in fact by late 44, pretty much all of Japans carrier torpedo bombers were gone! :read_fish:

cometguy #16 Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Time to drop some history on you guys. IJN torpedo bombers launched their ordinance in a very sophisticated manner. They dropped from a very high altitude, but a parachute deployed to slow the decent. Then just above the surface, rockets activated, slowing the decent even more, and the torpedos were dropped gently into the water.

TenguBlade #17 Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostBladedPheonix, on 05 May 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

no, by late war, Japan was no longer able carry out successful torpedo attacks. in fact by late 44, pretty much all of Japans carrier torpedo bombers were gone! :read_fish:

I recall the IJNAS had a decent fleet of B7As despite Taiho's loss - no carrier ever embarked them to my knowledge because she was the only one with elevators large enough to transport them.  They also kept building B6Ns and B5Ns for kamikaze sorties even after their fleet carriers were lost.

BladedPheonix #18 Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:51 PM

Captain

• Alpha Tester

View PostTenguBlade, on 05 May 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

I recall the IJNAS had a decent fleet of B7As despite Taiho's loss - no carrier ever embarked them to my knowledge because she was the only one with elevators large enough to transport them.  They also kept building B6Ns and B5Ns for kamikaze sorties even after their fleet carriers were lost.

this is correct. the G3Ms also could carry torpedoes as well but they were landbased bombers!:read_fish:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users