The Elephant Lady Strutting Her Stuff! (Akatsuki 149k Damage game, Kraken, High Caliber)

akatsuki akatsuki buff elephant lady very elephant so elephant amaze elephant wow

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

UrPeaceKeeper #1 Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

Ensign

• Supertester

Hey guys, UrPeaceKeeper here with an Epic Battle replay in Akatsuki, the very elephant lady!  149k damage, 5 Kills, Kraken Unleashed, and High Caliber!  This game was a bit of a nail biter at the end and you'll see why!  (No spoilers! :P)

The Elephant Lady is by far one of my favorite DD's in the game.  She is a fantastic T7 Analog for Shimakaze with very comparable torpedo and gun play, maneuverability and stealth. :)  Has the Elephant Lady been treating you well? :)

Edited by UrPeaceKeeper, 05 May 2017 - 04:54 PM.

Ever wondered how to play a USN BB or USN DD's?  Or maybe you just want to watch some fun WoWs videos?  Have I got the videos for you! Check out my YouTube channel here for How to Videos and More:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Whiskey11Gaming

Ace_04 #2 Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Agree that she is indeed a great T7 DD......but why "Elephant Lady"? :amazed:

[-K-] Kraken

"In war, there are no atheists.  Both sides are asking God for help" - Cmdr. Terry Goddard

Flashtirade #3 Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

She's definitely a sleeper pick. I thoroughly enjoy playing with her, enough to still keep her in prime condition even after I bought Kagerou.

CruiserQuincy #4 Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostAce_04, on 05 May 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

UrPeaceKeeper #5 Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

Ensign

• Supertester

View PostAce_04, on 05 May 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

YumeNoMahoutsukai nailed it! :)  It's a KanColle reference in which Akatsuki is always attempting to be more of a lady and less of a "girl".  During one of the episodes she means to say Elegant but says Elephant instead.  It's comical. :)

View PostFlashtirade, on 05 May 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

She's definitely a sleeper pick. I thoroughly enjoy playing with her, enough to still keep her in prime condition even after I bought Kagerou.

Absolutely 100% underrated as a T7 DD.  I prefer her to Shiratsuyu for being way more well rounded.  The one thing that made Shiratsuyu so fierce was stealth firing and without it she is really kind of drab and more of a "torpedo boat" than Akatsuki is.  Akatsuki's guns are, as you can see from the video, quite good.  The torpedo versatility is also really good!  She's just an amazing all around DD.  

View PostYumeNoMahoutsukai, on 05 May 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

Nailed it! :)

Ever wondered how to play a USN BB or USN DD's?  Or maybe you just want to watch some fun WoWs videos?  Have I got the videos for you! Check out my YouTube channel here for How to Videos and More:

STINKWEED_ #6 Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I have a Akatsuki and it's not bad but here's the thing, I regularly do 140k damage, Kraken, and high caliber with my tier 5 Kamikaze and it's tier 5. So much so that I prefer to play Kamikaze to Akatsuki.

In my opinion, most of the IJN DDs get worse not better past tier 5.  

Edited by STINKWEED_, 05 May 2017 - 04:56 PM.

You might have me confused with someone who gives a damn

UrPeaceKeeper #7 Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

Ensign

• Supertester

View PostSTINKWEED_, on 05 May 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

I have a Akatsuki and it's not bad but here's the thing, I regularly do 140k damage, Kraken, and high caliber with my tier 5 Kamikaze and it's tier 5. So much so that I prefer to play Kamikaze to Akatsuki.

In my opinion, most of the IJN DDs get worse not better past tier 5.  

Kamikaze is a great ship too.  I have one, but I barely ever play her because it feels like seal clubbing to me! :P  I prefer a touch of challenge to my gameplay and higher tier IJN DD's definitely fit the bill!  That said, Akatsuki is so criminally underrated and under played by the player base it makes me sad! :(  She is quite strong but in different ways than Kamikaze/Fujin are.  Also, I think the IJN DD's are silly strong past T6, but it takes more skill to play well than the lower tier ships do thanks to more attentive prey and the requirement to know how to use the guns.  

STINKWEED_ #8 Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostUrPeaceKeeper, on 05 May 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

Kamikaze is a great ship too.  I have one, but I barely ever play her because it feels like seal clubbing to me! :P  I prefer a touch of challenge to my gameplay and higher tier IJN DD's definitely fit the bill!  That said, Akatsuki is so criminally underrated and under played by the player base it makes me sad! :(  She is quite strong but in different ways than Kamikaze/Fujin are.  Also, I think the IJN DD's are silly strong past T6, but it takes more skill to play well than the lower tier ships do thanks to more attentive prey and the requirement to know how to use the guns.  

​You are right about the guns. I use it as a gunship not as I do the Kamikaze. The guns on it are underrated, however, it doesn't have the maneuverability that I would have liked to escape when the time calls for it. I'm still getting used to the play style, which to me it is not a lone wolf. It's best fighting as support with a group. The torps hit hard but they rarely hit from long distances because most BBs can see them coming in time to turn away.
​As for the Kamikaze, I don't seal club therefore it does get challenging. In order to consistently get 100k - 150k damage I have to sink tier 6 and tier 7 BBs and CAs. In addition, I rarely ever get tier 5 battles and there's little seal clubbing since I'll never see a tier 3 or 4.

You might have me confused with someone who gives a damn

Khafni #9 Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:49 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I don't see how the Akatsuki is "better" than the Shiratsuyu except for speed (38kts v 34kts) and Air Defense (27 v 8 rating). The gun difference is negligible with Shira at 10km range v Akatsuki's 9.4km. The torps are exactly the same except that Shira is a 2x4 v 3x3 in Akatsuki. If you look at the number of torpedoes that can be launched, the Shira, using the torpedo reload booster, can put out 40 in 302 seconds (3 cycles plus 2 boosts) where the Akatsuki can put out 45 in 350 seconds (5 cycles). Of course without the reload booster Shira only puts out 24 in 282 seconds and that probably explains the rating disparity of 23 for Shira v 30 for Akatsuki. The Shira's stealth is better (6.7 v 7.4) which did allow for limited stealth fire before 0.6.4.

I think better is only an opinion that varies based on the captain. I prefer the Shiratsuyu. So "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" here.

+1 for the analysis in your video. IJN DD guns are under-rated and underutilized by many.

Edited by Khafni, 05 May 2017 - 05:51 PM.

TenguBlade #10 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:00 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

I have fun with mine, but I also rarely play DDs in general outside of Co-op.

It's not every day or even for every ship that I make a video for after all.

Edited by TenguBlade, 05 May 2017 - 06:01 PM.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

UrPeaceKeeper #11 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

Ensign

• Supertester

View PostKhafni, on 05 May 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

I don't see how the Akatsuki is "better" than the Shiratsuyu except for speed (38kts v 34kts) and Air Defense (27 v 8 rating). The gun difference is negligible with Shira at 10km range v Akatsuki's 9.4km. The torps are exactly the same except that Shira is a 2x4 v 3x3 in Akatsuki. If you look at the number of torpedoes that can be launched, the Shira, using the torpedo reload booster, can put out 40 in 302 seconds (3 cycles plus 2 boosts) where the Akatsuki can put out 45 in 350 seconds (5 cycles). Of course without the reload booster Shira only puts out 24 in 282 seconds and that probably explains the rating disparity of 23 for Shira v 30 for Akatsuki. The Shira's stealth is better (6.7 v 7.4) which did allow for limited stealth fire before 0.6.4.

I think better is only an opinion that varies based on the captain. I prefer the Shiratsuyu. So "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" here.

+1 for the analysis in your video. IJN DD guns are under-rated and underutilized by many.

Paper stats aside, an extra gun plus better gun arcs plus speed turns akatsuki into a powerful long range t7 gun boat that has gun play similar to the RUDD.  It is a pretty subjective feel. I like Shiratsuyu but I play better and more consistently in akatsuki. The triple torpedo launchers can't be underestimated for the utility it provides and that benefit is always there and not tied to a consumable. 

Khafni #12 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostUrPeaceKeeper, on 05 May 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

Paper stats aside, an extra gun plus better gun arcs plus speed turns akatsuki into a powerful long range t7 gun boat that has gun play similar to the RUDD.  It is a pretty subjective feel. I like Shiratsuyu but I play better and more consistently in akatsuki. The triple torpedo launchers can't be underestimated for the utility it provides and that benefit is always there and not tied to a consumable. 

No arguments. Your analysis is valid and accurate. I like Shinonome for the reason you quoted so I guess I'll give Akatsuki another chance.

bad_arcade_kitty #13 Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:54 AM

Captain

• Members

i personally see her pretty close to blysk, except more torpedo oriented
be kind to torpedo girls - scratching, pouncing, butt wiggling, tsundere kittens of the fleet!

bad_arcade_kitty #14 Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:56 AM

Captain

• Members

View PostKhafni, on 06 May 2017 - 03:49 AM, said:

compare the ratings for top hulls though

be kind to torpedo girls - scratching, pouncing, butt wiggling, tsundere kittens of the fleet!

Flashtirade #15 Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostKhafni, on 05 May 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

34 knots vs 38 knots is a substantial difference. Shiratsuyu will struggle to break contact from enemy DDs that try to run her down, especially if wiggling to dodge shellfire. Akatsuki does not suffer (as hard) from this.

The gun situation is a little more nuanced. Ignoring the obvious upside of Akatsuki having slightly more firepower, the positioning also matters a great deal.  Shiratsuyu's 3 guns facing forwards are better for pushing aggressively, but that is not a lot of forward firepower to be throwing down compared to the opposition and the middle gun not being superfiring means that only 2 guns are consistently available while kiting away. Akatsuki is even less effective at straight pushing but in return can put 4 guns on target when sailing evasively due to the superfiring middle turret. Akatsuki's guns also turn a little bit faster.

AA isn't that important, but Akatsuki can occasionally shoot down a catapult fighter if it's keeping her lit up.

The detection rating is (IMO) Akatsuki's only limiting factor, she's similar to the old T8 Fubuki but without the concealment module and nerfed torpedo options.

Edited by Flashtirade, 06 May 2017 - 06:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users