TnS: How to deal with French Cruisers in the Kamikaze R (or E)

french cruiser

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Herr_Reitz #1 Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Their speed is proving to be a real PITA. Apparently they have hydro as well? I wouldn't know yet as I do not have them researched SO I CANNOT SEE THEIR MODULES. Wiki - kinda ugly navigating... anyhow.

I cannot outrun them even on boost. Smoke doesn't slow them. They have pretty solid guns which seem to have very flat trajectories. I work islands/cover as much as I can but then too... they have pretty respectable concealment (it seems) as I sometimes to not see them on the minimap until I'm almost on top of them (if boosting across a map for example). 

So how are you guys in your IJN destroyers dealing with them? Looking for tips/strategies. tia fyc 

Teahee #2 Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I have been just using the standard shell-phobic strategy typical to IJN DDs. Maintain concealment, stealth capture points, and spam torpedoes. The tiers 4-7 have pretty "meh" concealment IIRC, so provided they don't use terrain to sneak up, you should be able to spot them long before they pose a problem. While not always applicable, ensuring that you are in a position where your allies can provide supporting fire is also helpful, especially since the French cruisers are pretty squishy. 

At tiers 8-10 I have (generally) found most French CAs use DF rather than hydro, so I have not really found any of them rushing my smokes. 

Join the Arpeggio of Blue Steel [ARP] today! Visit us at: https://discord.gg/sMtnye7

Estimated_Prophet #3 Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostTeahee, on 05 May 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

so provided they don't use terrain to sneak up, you should be able to spot them long before they pose a problem.

...which is what you should be doing to them.

As far as spamming torpedoes goes; while that has its place; my preference is the close ambush. Doesn't matter what the cruiser is; they generally all die from a belly-full of point-blank torpedoes.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

RipNuN2 #4 Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostEstimated_Prophet, on 05 May 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

...which is what you should be doing to them.

As far as spamming torpedoes goes; while that has its place; my preference is the close ambush. Doesn't matter what the cruiser is; they generally all die from a belly-full of point-blank torpedoes.

Balanced lances work everytime.

Posted Image

Ace_04 #5 Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Their speed is impressive.

Emile Bertin at T5 now goes 39 knots fully upgraded (w/o speed flag).

[-K-] Kraken

"In war, there are no atheists.  Both sides are asking God for help" - Cmdr. Terry Goddard

DingBat #6 Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I find a lot of destroyer players hug islands and such. If you're in a knife fighter, that's fine. The Fujin-kazes are not knife fighters. 

Don't give your enemies any chances to surprise you. If you don't know what's around you, don't hug islands. Give yourself the most time possible to spot, and avoid, fast cruisers.

Typically, if I have a close contact with a french cruiser, I'll drop smoke and launch ONE set of torps. If they charge, you need the remainder for close in shots, but one set of torps can often dissuade a cruiser captain from charging, or at least make them maneuver. 

SyndicatedINC #7 Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Stay near your BBs.  Those French CL have a high detection so you can see them coming from far away, and those that don't steer clear of the enemy BBs don't live long to bother you.

"If you won a chess game because the other player had a heart attack during the match, how proud would you be of your victory?

Did you really "win"? That's what it's like, imho." -wadavid (regarding victory by detonating an opponent)

Sabot_100 #8 Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostEstimated_Prophet, on 05 May 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Part of the problem here is you are likely going to get 6 point blank torps right back at you making it a suicide run.

Estimated_Prophet #9 Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostSabot_100, on 05 May 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

Part of the problem here is you are likely going to get 6 point blank torps right back at you making it a suicide run.

Except I don't make suicide runs; generally the first time a cruiser even knows I'm there is when he comes around an island and the torps are already less than 1k away from hitting.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

LA_Kid #10 Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

Seaman

• Members

Maybe I can help you, but first let me say I love the French Cruisers! They have been the most fun, best earners, winningest ships I have had the pleasure of commanding. Now, I have only fought in 1,700+ battles so far, had 50 plus ships in T-1 to T-8, and in all categories. They are so good, i am afraid they will nerf them soon. Now to put my two cents in and answer your question. Read the answers above! They are right. Ambushing or sneaking up on a French cruiser while they are busy burning down your mates is the best strategy. I run a Fubuki as well as a Bertin. I have been sunk them and been sunk by both as well. I do use my detection when I am close to a smoking dd and charge in burning them, unless they save a second load of torps to point blank sink me...lol In closing "Viva Le France!"

Herr_Reitz #11 Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Well folks... seems common sense applies - as always. Sometimes my jar of common sense is a tad empty. ;-) 

Think Neighbors for example... most times I encounter them they are between A & B rarely in the islands between B & C. So using island to sneak up o them isn't too doable... I'm wondering though... maybe put it another way... 

You have to lead when using main batteries. Torp sight indicator shows center mass for the red target - but for what speed? Is the torp indicator for center mass adjusting to the speed of the reds? I'm kinda thinking it does; that it is far more dynamic than the main battery target indicator.

Do you adjust your torp lead for the French cruisers in any way differently than you do other cruisers? 

LA_Kid #12 Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:47 PM

Seaman

• Members

Depending on your dd, how many launches you have...i.e. My Fubuki, I ahead, one on the track and one just behind, as the French cruiser can turn and avoid one or two torp salvoes, but three...maybe!...lol. Love my French cruisers!

ArcDeath #13 Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:33 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

They are fast but I get them with guns alot..lead a bunch and it may help. Also catch them in maneuvers rather than straight line.

Herr_Reitz #14 Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:05 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Well the chat here has helped... I find i have to lead them much more than other ships tho

HazeGrayUnderway #15 Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:06 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I figure a stealthy DD simply has to outspot the French Cruiser and let the Battleships delete them.

Also tagged with french, cruiser

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users