My Little 3D Project

3D Ships Modeling

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

KiwiColdbeer #1 Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Hey Guys.

Am attempting to delve into 3D modeling, and as I am quite a fan of ships, have been working on creating HMS Naiad, a Dido class light cruiser.

Below is my progress after about 3 weeks(which is probably 50-60 hours total time...am not at it constantly).

I will try to update pics as I progress.

Feel free to pick holes in it(but not about the pink turrets...they are only that colour for reference purposes) if you have experience with 3D modeling, or if you may have any tips.

(One can live in hope, but I doubt the WG modeling guys frequent the forums much)

Am using 3DS max 2016.

Cheers

KiwiColdbeer

dark.png

"I am not as GREEN as I am CABBAGE looking"

High_Admiral #2 Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Very Nice! 

Writer of Texas Rising: A Kancolle Story. You can find it here.

Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper #3 Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

How did you manage to get solid shapes in AutoCAD? I have never figured out how to do that.

"I had to find myself another flagship because I could no longer exercise command from one which was shot to pieces."

Ships in Port:

German Tech Tree Suggestion     Enable Training Rooms Manually

zFireWyvern #4 Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostAdmiral_Franz_von_Hipper, on 04 May 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

How did you manage to get solid shapes in AutoCAD? I have never figured out how to do that.
It's not AutoCAD, it's 3ds Max

Click my signature to see my historical WoWS Skins!

Teahee #5 Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

It looks like it is starting to shape up! It will look great if you get to render it properly, or even just throw it into a 3rd party at hoc render program like Lumion.

Join the Arpeggio of Blue Steel [ARP]    Visit us at: https://discord.gg/sMtnye7

DingBat #6 Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

That looks pretty good. 

The one comment I would have is the top front of the hull looks a little weird, but since I'm not familiar with the Dido plans I can't tell if that's the model or the actual ship. 

How did you go about doing the hull, btw? I need a simple tut or workflow. I'd love to start working on ships, so much fiddly little detail. :)

I used to do a fair bit of modelling, but not for game purposes. Here's a few of my own WIPs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by DingBat, 04 May 2017 - 12:37 PM.

StrixKitty #7 Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Beta Testers

Elbing-class anyone?
Kriegsmarine Forum Kitty

Details on Computers:

Fritz131 #8 Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

So far your model looks good! No matter what's being modeled, if you want it to be good and detailed it takes a lot of time.

As others have said, I'd love to see your workflow on this as I would love to model ships, but I'm unsure of how to go about getting everything setup reference picture wise. I'm used to Blender if anyone is curious.

Highlighted is in Port

VMF: Budyonny, Derzki IJN: Kamikaze, Katori Kuma, Myogi, USN: Atlanta, SimsPhoenix, Langley KSM: Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Admiral Graf Spee, Konigsberg

RN: Leander, Belfast La Royale: Friant  Regina Marina: N/A

ARP: Hiei, Kongo, Haruna, Kirishina, Ashigara Haugro Myoko

Current Grind: Groser Kurfurst

KiwiColdbeer #9 Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:25 AM

• Members

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.

As far as workflow goes......well it has been a bit messy and disjointed, but this is basically how I went about it.

I don't have any actual plans, so it was about finding as many images of the ship as I could to refer to.

I managed to find a image that had both a profile and top down view, and these formed the base for the actual modeling. Setting up the images was fairly easy. I created 2 simple planes, each set to the size of the image I was using. Applied a standard material, and added the image to it. Images came out a bit blurry for some reason...have yet to figure out why. These I then set to 0,0,0 and set the profile image to 90 degree's of the top view, so they ended up looking like this....

Unfortunately, the images were not an exact match, so had to do a bit of "fiddling" with scale to get them as close as I could, but they are still not exact, so most of the superstructure is not 100% accurate....but is the best I could do with what I had.

Hull started as a box, and was manipulated to the desired shape. As there was a lot of individual vertex moving required(esp around the aft), I ended up cutting the whole thing in half, and then mirroring it over when I was finally satisfied. The actual cross section shape is a bit of a guess, as I could find no actual images of this. Just referred to other images I found of the ship until it "looked" right.

Biggest mistake I made was giving the initial box far to many sections to try and get the shape. Ended up removing a metric crapton of edges and then bridging to drop the poly count.

Overall there has been a heap of "build, delete, rebuild" involved......but hopefully this will reduce as my skills get better(though the turrets are the first attempt....so improving already...:)).

Edited by KiwiColdbeer, 05 May 2017 - 04:36 AM.

dark.png

Fritz131 #10 Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostKiwiColdbeer, on 04 May 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

Overall there has been a heap of "build, delete, rebuild" involved

As a fellow 3d modeler who's still somewhat new, this is all it ever is when modeling something. Then, usually after you're done modeling, you realize that you could've done so many things easier to streamline the whole process. The only word of advice I can give is don't get stressed about it and take a break when needed so you don't get burned out on working on it. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Highlighted is in Port

VMF: Budyonny, Derzki IJN: Kamikaze, Katori Kuma, Myogi, USN: Atlanta, SimsPhoenix, Langley KSM: Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Admiral Graf Spee, Konigsberg

RN: Leander, Belfast La Royale: Friant  Regina Marina: N/A

ARP: Hiei, Kongo, Haruna, Kirishina, Ashigara Haugro Myoko

Current Grind: Groser Kurfurst

KiwiColdbeer #11 Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

• Members

View PostFritz131, on 05 May 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

As a fellow 3d modeler who's still somewhat new, this is all it ever is when modeling something. Then, usually after you're done modeling, you realize that you could've done so many things easier to streamline the whole process. The only word of advice I can give is don't get stressed about it and take a break when needed so you don't get burned out on working on it. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Oh no worries there mate.....even my biggest stuff up's are not getting me stressed......costing me sleep thinking about how to overcome them...yes....:amazed:

And how is Blender these days? Used it a few years ago once and would look at going back to it, as I am only using 3ds on a student licence, so "no sale" if I actually create something good.

dark.png

KiwiColdbeer #12 Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:11 AM

• Members

Added the detail to the funnels, and added the HACS towers and engine room vents.

Set the viewport to clay as suggested.....does seem to show the details a bit better.

Looking like she want's to be in game already...hehe.

And on a side note, you will be able to check how good my turrets are when the RN BB's hit....seemingly the KGV ran the same ones as secondaries.

dark.png

dseehafer #13 Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

Rear Admiral

• Beta Testers

Keep up the good work!
CREATOR OF THE "A DETAILED LOOK AT" AND THE "WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE??" SERIES!! 

KlnDiJZ.gif

"The whole strategy of the war turns at this period to this ship (the Tirpitz), which is holding four times the number of British capital ships paralyzed, to say nothing of the two new American battleships retained in the Atlantic."

- Winston Churchill

NinjaExZ #14 Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

Seaman

• Members

It looks like the bow and underside have some render errors (twisted/bent polygons), causing those inconsistently shaded areas. Should be able to remedy that pretty easily by increasing the polycount in those areas to reduce the bends/twists in the polys, probably easiest to do with either vertex connect (turning the squares into triangles and working from there) or edge chamfer (pretty sure this'll work too, by simply increasing the number edges, which should reduce the severity of the errors). The funnels could probably lose some vertical edges (particularly toward the taper at the back.), and maybe add a horizontal ring or two, just to shrink the length of those long polys (don't need to do this, but whatever.). Could probably also do with some renders from other perspectives (from the rear perhaps?). Other than the "issues" I listed, it looks pretty good from what I can see ;). Should probably take my criticism with a grain of salt though, as it's been four or five years since I've done much 3d modeling.

Also tagged with 3D, Ships, Modeling

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users