Algerie

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Keverta #21 Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:12 AM

Seaman

• Members

NO the Algerie is a bad T7 cruiser. pretty much like all of them. Just another ship to get past so you can get at the real meat at T8.

Ericson38 #22 Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

So WG makes the T5/6 cruisers so bad (intentionally) that you have to free XP past it, so painful to play as actual ships in battle. Actually, I don't have the free XP to do that, but I agree that the T6 cruiser sets up a fail mentality in the player, and I have over 6000 games total. I admit to going after them in my Cleveland when the opportunity is there. Out of 55 battles, I have survived 8 of them.

Edited by Ericson38, 14 May 2017 - 05:00 PM.

yashma #23 Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostKeverta, on 13 May 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

NO the Algerie is a bad T7 cruiser. pretty much like all of them. Just another ship to get past so you can get at the real meat at T8.

What?  There are many absolute fantastic Tier 7 cruisers.  Tier for tier, the Fiji, Shchors and Myoko are all some of the strongest ships in their respective lines, and don't forget about the Belfast which tier for tier is one of the strongest cruisers in the entire game.   Not to mention the protective MM really makes Tier 7 a sweet spot for cruisers as even the weaker Tier 7 ships usually get to fight lower tiers...

As far as the Algerie goes, it's a very decent ship.  It's arcs take some time to getting used to, but it's absolutely fantastic at burning down BBs from range, and while it's AP is nothing special, it is more than capable of getting divesting strikes at close ranges.  While it does not have the most utility, I find it is incredibly easy to rack up high damage numbers with the Algerie...... 

Edited by yashma, 14 May 2017 - 08:08 PM.

Taichunger #24 Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

Captain

• Members

View Postyashma, on 15 May 2017 - 04:08 AM, said:

What?  There are many absolute fantastic Tier 7 cruisers.  Tier for tier, the Fiji, Shchors and Myoko are all some of the strongest ships in their respective lines, and don't forget about the Belfast which tier for tier is one of the strongest cruisers in the entire game.   Not to mention the protective MM really makes Tier 7 a sweet spot for cruisers as even the weaker Tier 7 ships usually get to fight lower tiers...

As far as the Algerie goes, it's a very decent ship.  It's arcs take some time to getting used to, but it's absolutely fantastic at burning down BBs from range, and while it's AP is nothing special, it is more than capable of getting divesting strikes at close ranges.  While it does not have the most utility, I find it is incredibly easy to rack up high damage numbers with the Algerie...... 

That's so nuts, hard to believe. I can't do any damage in it. Averaged 34K with my highest game 60K -- but I average 48K in Bertin. Unlike Fiji or Myoko, when it comes time to bully someone off a cap, you can't. All you can do is stay at range and spam HE and occasional AP before you are inevitably citadeled and killed, since Algerie has no armor and no damage resistance ability. The torps are almost useless.. 

I just bought it back to grind for Martel after becoming so frustrated with it that I rage sold it.

Edited by Taichunger, 14 May 2017 - 10:02 PM.

----------

Still needed: (1) a NO CV button for the MM (2) Remove Shatter (3) a button for demounting all flags (4) the icon in the status bar to signal someone wants to div/chat with you

yashma #25 Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:15 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostTaichunger, on 14 May 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

That's so nuts, hard to believe. I can't do any damage in it. Averaged 34K with my highest game 60K -- but I average 48K in Bertin. Unlike Fiji or Myoko, when it comes time to bully someone off a cap, you can't. All you can do is stay at range and spam HE and occasional AP before you are inevitably citadeled and killed, since Algerie has no armor and no damage resistance ability. The torps are almost useless.. 

I just bought it back to grind for Martel after becoming so frustrated with it that I rage sold it.

Must just be our differences in play style.  I'm averaging 67k damage per game with the Algeire, and that's in spite of me having a bunch of really horrible games where I did almost nothing.  I've also managed to break 100k damage on multiple occasions.  I do find the Algerie to be one of the more squishy cruisers I've played, but it's fantastic range and decent maneuverability means that it's very good at dodging BB shells.  With speed boost activated it's also really easy to throw off peoples' aim, and with the increased acceleration that comes with it, it's also possible to play around with the throttle to throw people aim off as well.

As to it's AP.....it's nothing special but can still pack a serious punch in the right situations.  A Shchors that I quadruple citadeled and devastating striked yesterday comes to mind.  

For me the Algerie only has two really major irredeemable flaws.

1.  The rudder gets knocked out constantly, I've died more than once because my rudder got knocked out moments after I had to use my repair party to fix the bloody thing the first time it got knocked out.  With a kitting play style this can be a major flaw.

2.  The shell arcs can make it challenging to hit shots at range.  If the Algerie had better arcs I'd call it the one of the best Tier 7 cruiser with out question, but it doesn't, so I have to learn and adapt.  I've gotten better with using them, but they still can give me fits.  

Edited by yashma, 14 May 2017 - 10:20 PM.

Uncle_Lou #26 Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:44 AM

Seaman

• Members

Obviously a VERY small sample size, but my second battle in Algerie was my first ever Kraken and 125k damage.  Granted, I was top tier... but this ship wiggles pretty well and I was able to dodge damage for most of the match.  At the end I got into suicide range with a Colorado and stuck two torps into him before he burned me out (he was shooting HE for some reason).  Sadly the battle was a loss.  This is the first French cruiser I've played that feels like it is made out of steel instead of tinfoil.

AlcatrazNC #27 Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I'm averaging 68k in the Algerie and in this line she's probably one of the best ship. La Galissonière was really bad, the current Emile Bertin is decent only because of her 39kts speed.

The only things that sometime bother me in French line is the damage and the HE pen. Sometime i fail to pen the superstructure of a BB and sometime 5 shell pen the superstructure but only does 900 dmg and the other time, 2 pen in HE deal 1800 dmg. It's really akward but it's not the end of the world.

And their AP are quite punishing, almost one shot a Fiji in 1 salvo.

Taichunger #28 Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

Captain

• Members

View Postyashma, on 15 May 2017 - 06:15 AM, said:

Must just be our differences in play style.  I'm averaging 67k damage per game with the Algeire, and that's in spite of me having a bunch of really horrible games where I did almost nothing.  I've also managed to break 100k damage on multiple occasions.  I do find the Algerie to be one of the more squishy cruisers I've played, but it's fantastic range and decent maneuverability means that it's very good at dodging BB shells.  With speed boost activated it's also really easy to throw off peoples' aim, and with the increased acceleration that comes with it, it's also possible to play around with the throttle to throw people aim off as well.

As to it's AP.....it's nothing special but can still pack a serious punch in the right situations.  A Shchors that I quadruple citadeled and devastating striked yesterday comes to mind.  

For me the Algerie only has two really major irredeemable flaws.

1.  The rudder gets knocked out constantly, I've died more than once because my rudder got knocked out moments after I had to use my repair party to fix the bloody thing the first time it got knocked out.  With a kitting play style this can be a major flaw.

2.  The shell arcs can make it challenging to hit shots at range.  If the Algerie had better arcs I'd call it the one of the best Tier 7 cruiser with out question, but it doesn't, so I have to learn and adapt.  I've gotten better with using them, but they still can give me fits.  

I guess it must be playstyle. I had a 49% win rate in it (19 wins in 39 games) with 45K avg damage and never got a game above 75K damage. It's useless in my opinion. I've been playing a lot of cruisers lately -- Roon, Kutuzov, and Bertin, among others, and my figures are comfortably above average in all of them. But Algerie? Couldn't make that thing work. Any of the other T7 cruisers is better.

I never fired a salvo in Random with more than two cits on any cruiser. Its AP is next to useless, just bounces off BBs and fails to cit cruisers even broadside at close range. It does start fires, its only strong point. It has no useful consummables either -- you bring nothing to your team like smoke, radar, or powerful sonar.

Funny how we had opposite problems. I never had trouble with the rudder and didn't even bother to mount the modules. Didn't have any trouble hitting ships at range either. For me the problem was that (1) all my teams were failteams and there wasn't a thing I could do about it in that mediocre cruiser, since I could never push up to kill ships without getting killed and (2) it has negative armor that appears to magnify the effect of hits and suck in AP shells for citadels.The speed boost had zero effect on Red aim, at T7 people can aim just fine. The usual cruiser tactics of starting and stopping and turning in/out sufficed to keep me alive.

Basically, time and again I'd be looking at a ship thinking "If only I were sitting in Molotov, that Red ship would already be dead". 

Glad this grind is over. 

----------

Still needed: (1) a NO CV button for the MM (2) Remove Shatter (3) a button for demounting all flags (4) the icon in the status bar to signal someone wants to div/chat with you

yashma #29 Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostTaichunger, on 16 May 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

I guess it must be playstyle. I had a 49% win rate in it (19 wins in 39 games) with 45K avg damage and never got a game above 75K damage. It's useless in my opinion. I've been playing a lot of cruisers lately -- Roon, Kutuzov, and Bertin, among others, and my figures are comfortably above average in all of them. But Algerie? Couldn't make that thing work. Any of the other T7 cruisers is better.

I never fired a salvo in Random with more than two cits on any cruiser. Its AP is next to useless, just bounces off BBs and fails to cit cruisers even broadside at close range. It does start fires, its only strong point. It has no useful consummables either -- you bring nothing to your team like smoke, radar, or powerful sonar.

Funny how we had opposite problems. I never had trouble with the rudder and didn't even bother to mount the modules. Didn't have any trouble hitting ships at range either. For me the problem was that (1) all my teams were failteams and there wasn't a thing I could do about it in that mediocre cruiser, since I could never push up to kill ships without getting killed and (2) it has negative armor that appears to magnify the effect of hits and suck in AP shells for citadels.The speed boost had zero effect on Red aim, at T7 people can aim just fine. The usual cruiser tactics of starting and stopping and turning in/out sufficed to keep me alive.

Basically, time and again I'd be looking at a ship thinking "If only I were sitting in Molotov, that Red ship would already be dead". 

Glad this grind is over. 

Yah, different players can have wildly different opinions on a ship.  I've kinda been slogging through the Algerie myself.  I like the ship, but it's also the kind of ship where I just stare at in port and think...."do I really want to play another battle in it"?

Elgaria #30 Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:31 AM

Seaman

• Members

Just got the Algerie yesterday so sample size is tiny with only 5 games but after winning 4/5 of those games and having an average damage of almost 80k (3rd game netted 143k) I have to say it's off to a good start.

The fire chance is great and a witherer achievement unlocked in the 4th game.

Time will tell if it continues to shine.

Ericson38 #31 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:24 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I was single salvoed out of the battle 3 out of the 1st 5 games by BBs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users