Algerie

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

ReddNekk #1 Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

Ensign

• Members

Is Algerie worth grinding through La Gal for?

Hold my beer and watch this!

Taichunger #2 Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

Captain

• Members

No. Free XP past it. Algeries has good range and ok guns. in all other aspects she is inferior to other T7 cruisers. I sold Algerie and refused to grind past it, I got so frustrated with its crap performance (speed is meaningless at T7, the other players have no trouble hitting you). I averaged 10K lower damage in Algerie than in Emile Bertin. 

----------

Still needed: (1) a NO CV button for the MM (2) Remove Shatter (3) a button for demounting all flags (4) the icon in the status bar to signal someone wants to div/chat with you

ReddNekk #3 Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:04 PM

Ensign

• Members

Thank you!

Hold my beer and watch this!

Zim_Xero #4 Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Totally disagree.  The Algeire is not quite as good as the T8, but its the 2nd best ship of the French line.  The jury is still out which ship is best, but Algeire 'could' win in the end.  It's pointless to skip this ship.

Tier V -   Konig   Kongo   Furutaka   Zuiho   Texas   Marbelhead   Okhotnik   Kamikaze   

Tier VI -  Budyonny   Aoba   Leander   Arizona   Anshan   Dunkerque   Graf Spee   Warspite

Tier VII - Algerie   Gneisenau   Shiratsuyu   Fiji   Saipan   Leningrad   Scharnhorst   Atlanta   Hood   Belfast   Blyskawica

Tier VIII+  Z-46   Grozovoi   Khabarovsk   Shokaku   Missouri   Atago   Alabama   Tirpitz   Lo Yang   Mikhail Kutuzov

hanesco #5 Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:41 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Have seen that often. The ship is a hassle to fight, you can kill it in one shot, but right now only the best players have it and is truly difficult to kill. The thing is a fire starter a la Soviet cruiser, not like the IJN ones.

Current ships:

Tier II-IV: Tachibana, Emden, Katori, Kuma, Duguay-Trouin.

Tier V-VI: Kamikaze R, ARP Kongo (all), Furutaka, T-22, Konig, Kirov, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee.

Tier VII: ARP Myoko (all), Pensacola, Mahan, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Shchors, Minsk.

Tier VIII:  ARP Takao, Amagi, Mogami, Kagero, Kiev, Ognevoi, Adm. Hipper.

HazeGrayUnderway #6 Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:23 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

The ship without Engine Boost handles very mediocre.  She's not fast, she turns sluggish, acceleration is mediocre.  Do not pop Engine Boost just because it's off CD, save it for when you need it.  It's like WG intentionally made the basic handling characteristics of the ship to suck and only be decent when Engine Boost is active.  That game design philosophy sucks.

Guns?

AP is s--t unless you're 10km or less and that's being generous.  The AP shells have trouble citadeling broadside Cruisers, even Nurnburg, and that says a lot.

HE shells are okay with decent Fire Chance.

The best part of the ship is the range.  17.9km fully upgraded is great and a very nice cushion when she's bottom tier in a IX match.  She can plink safer when in a high tier match compared to the 15km or so ranges of other Tier VII Cruisers.  What holds her gunnery back are the lackluster shell velocities.  The shells really could be faster so her gunnery at range be better.  Otherwise the shells can be in the air a while.

The closest existing ship that is like Algerie is Schors.

- Both are mediocre in protection but Schors is worse but not by a whole lot.

- Both need to fight at range relying very heavily on HE shells + Fires.

- Schors is easier to shoot at range with her super high velocity shells and 12 guns with fast reloads.

- Algerie shoots at decent speed for a 203mm armed Cruiser, has great range but not as fast shooting as Schors nor the reload of Schors' 152mm guns.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 03 May 2017 - 12:28 AM.

Landing_Skipper #7 Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:30 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

The T6 grind is painful, partly because of the ship and partly the MatchMaking. I confess that I used 15,000 free XP to move up to Algerie. 

Is it worth it?  I do better in Fiji, Shchors and Belfast in terms of damage, kills, wins and XP.

Algerie can start some fires! And her range is great. Handling is meh. AP is nothing to write home about. Torps are throw aways. Show a just a peek of broadside to a BB and you will pay for it big time.  T8+ cruisers can wreck you at range. Finally, I just have trouble influencing the game's outcome with a pure HE spammer. 

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

AlcatrazNC #8 Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:10 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I really enjoy the Algerie. It's pretty much like a Schors with 203mm guns. As long as i stay between 14km and 18km i can support my BB. However aiming with this ship at long range is pretty hard, because of the arc and the slow shells velocity, but it's not bad as the Akizuki with AFT. And with the arc you can shoot over island, meaning you can afraid a whole team as long as you have someone who can spots you. Among all T7 she's not the worst but not the best and due to his [edited]concealment ( 11.8km surface detection with both CE and camo) i would not recommend playing this ship if there is a ranked battle. Even the Schors have a better concealment when you have both CE and camo.

So now let's talk about the ship. 

-With DE you can reach 17% chance and if you add signals you can reach 19% fire chance which is the same as the Myoukou with DE. 

-She's slow and turn slowly so you DON'T want to close the distance with your target. Since you have a long range guns, kitting your ennemi is the best way to do damage and avoid shells.

-As i mention, you have a long range guns and you have a....pretty decent arc i guess so island are your best friend, you hug them like your waifu 

-Now about the Speed Boost it's actually good to re-position yourself but i often use when i'm being engaged by multiple target. Yes i will not reach 35.5kts while dodging BUT it allows me to maintain a good speed while dodging shells and sometime people don't expect you to gain speed that quickly (for a cruiser in general). I wonder why they didn't gave the same acceleration as British cruiser since they have access to Speed Boost, i mean, British cruiser don't really care about that since they will park in smoke and both line are squeeshi. As a British you would use your smoke and find a way to run away (and it works with your concealment) but as a French since you're forced to leave the area because of your BB concealment, you will eat a lot of damage and since Citadel are not protected you end up dying a lot.

Camo68 #9 Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:11 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

I like the Algerie, it has good range and speed. It was a breath of fresh air after the LaGlass.

AP is very good against short range cruisers and long range plunging fire onto BBs. HE preforms OK for a T7 cruiser..

And Torps are a bonus (not a true offensive weapon) but I have picked up a few unwary souls with them.

My Current Ships

Tzarevitch #10 Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Algerie rocks. My favorite of the French cruisers so far. It's well worth getting to T7 for. 

crzyhawk #11 Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:47 AM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 02 May 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

The ship without Engine Boost handles very mediocre.  She's not fast, she turns sluggish, acceleration is mediocre.  Do not pop Engine Boost just because it's off CD, save it for when you need it.  It's like WG intentionally made the basic handling characteristics of the ship to suck and only be decent when Engine Boost is active.  That game design philosophy sucks.

Guns?

AP is s--t unless you're 10km or less and that's being generous.  The AP shells have trouble citadeling broadside Cruisers, even Nurnburg, and that says a lot.

HE shells are okay with decent Fire Chance.

The best part of the ship is the range.  17.9km fully upgraded is great and a very nice cushion when she's bottom tier in a IX match.  She can plink safer when in a high tier match compared to the 15km or so ranges of other Tier VII Cruisers.  What holds her gunnery back are the lackluster shell velocities.  The shells really could be faster so her gunnery at range be better.  Otherwise the shells can be in the air a while.

The closest existing ship that is like Algerie is Schors.

- Both are mediocre in protection but Schors is worse but not by a whole lot.

- Both need to fight at range relying very heavily on HE shells + Fires.

- Schors is easier to shoot at range with her super high velocity shells and 12 guns with fast reloads.

- Algerie shoots at decent speed for a 203mm armed Cruiser, has great range but not as fast shooting as Schors nor the reload of Schors' 152mm guns.

From what I have seen Yorck is a better comparison than Schors.

Eisennagel #12 Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:01 AM

Rear Admiral

• Beta Testers

I feel that the AP is better than on Shchors or the Yorck.  The one difference or advantage a heavy cruiser has over a light cruiser is when the situation presents that a target is on a broadside, and the heavy cruiser has the "punch" to kill the target before it gets away or angles again.

bewbs_ #13 Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

• Members

So far I'm a fan of the Algerie, I felt its AP works fairly well with even mid range targets(10-14km, not Pensacola well but still gets you citadels on cruisers. A huge step over the La Gagsmore..

Shadowrigger1 #14 Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:48 PM

Commander

• Members

Algerie is mediocre,  thing of an atago with less bite.    Guns are semi usable but are still the most pitiful 203's in the game.   you won't carr, you won't rack up massive damage games continuously,    the ship is a struggle but better than the La G.

HazeGrayUnderway #15 Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:48 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

Done with my grind on Algerie.

Spoiler

I had Premium Account and with some signal flags and such, it took me 37 matches to get the XPs for Charles Martel.

My final thoughts on her?  Early on I was doing very well with her but I went from the early enthusiasm from here to a far more "meh" of my previous post and my thoughts in that last one I still stand behind.  The ship is mediocre.  It's not bad.  It's not good either.  The one great thing about Algerie is her range, but her shell flight time and velocity really hold her back from exploiting that.  I found that to actually get regular hits you have to fight at 15km.  Which is smack where Myoko, Pensacola, etc. ideally fight anyways.  Pensacola at 15km is dangerous to other Cruisers.  So the benefit of range that Algerie has looks great in port and on paper, but in practice, her floaty and slow shells reign her in.  The more I played, the more annoying that got.

She needs to be at range but of the Tier VII Cruisers, Schors is the Queen in that kind of duty.  Schors has far smaller 152mm guns to Algerie's 203mm's, but Schors is fast firing, has low shell arcs, and far faster flying shells.  The funny thing was in terms of stats, I did more damage on average than my Schors, but with the superior gunnery of Schors, I felt I could affect things far more.  Not sure if that makes sense... My Schors had a far superior WR% and better XP average, but my Algerie had a bit more damage.

I only hope Charles Martel is better than Algerie.  CM looks great previewing her stats in port but I had early enthusiasm for Algerie also.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 05 May 2017 - 07:51 AM.

crzyhawk #16 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:41 PM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

it really comes down to heavy cruisers being an inferior ship type in this game.  The rapid fire light cruiser is superior in most situations.  Heavy cruisers excel in cruiser vs cruiser combat, but cruisers are rare targets, and overhunted by the 5 battleships on nearly every enemy team.  Light cruisers are better at killing DD's better at farming damage on battleships and still quite dangerous to heavy cruisers and fellow light cruisers in cruiser vs cruiser action.

wdarkk #17 Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:56 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Postcrzyhawk, on 05 May 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

it really comes down to heavy cruisers being an inferior ship type in this game.  The rapid fire light cruiser is superior in most situations.  Heavy cruisers excel in cruiser vs cruiser combat, but cruisers are rare targets, and overhunted by the 5 battleships on nearly every enemy team.  Light cruisers are better at killing DD's better at farming damage on battleships and still quite dangerous to heavy cruisers and fellow light cruisers in cruiser vs cruiser action.

Reduce light cruiser bow and stern so that they can be overmatched by 203s. Problem solved.

wdarkk #18 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:16 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Tanked one million potential damage in the Algerie. Didn't die. We won.

Spoiler

I really love this ship. I spam HE at BBs from long range and if they shoot at me (more like when) I shout "MLG RUDDER!" and dodge/bounce the shells. Looking forward to the rest of the line.

Wyatt_DERP85 #19 Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

• Members

The Algerie is loads of fun... Lots of fires. I'm a huge fan of this ship and find it to be quite strong. Also I think I finally understand how it's supposed to be used w/ speed boost.

Edited by Wyatt_DERP85, 10 May 2017 - 03:54 AM.

bewbs_ #20 Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

• Members

Man my Algerie has a habit of attracting terrible teams, as its 100% a support ship having to rely on your team well..... yea.

I did have some tough guy enemy Colorado calling me out like crazy last night for sailing like a coward/pansy (well in much more harsh terms).. guess I shouldn't of kited while dodging his shells??? Even though he had turned away from me first.... I didn't take the bait, as I don't let those special players get to me, but he went off in chat right at the end of the loss... I ended up in first place on my losing team (I earned more xp than him), he was third from the bottom right about where I thought he'd be.

I guess I was supposed to charge into him with my 5k hp left vs his nearly full hp? My bad, I'll make myself an easy target next time. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users