Extended: Build me a fleet—Model ship contest! NA/EU forces combine!

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

Muskva #181 Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:38 PM

Seaman

• Members

Send two images, I only see one and it is repeated wth?xD

ELDIFERENTE #182 Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Muskva's​ Post:

Hi Muskva​, you can re-upload your entry, your last entry will be considered in the contest as it says in the Rules:

Contest's Rules:

• You may submit as many entries as you'd like, but we will only consider your last submission.

Greetings.

cfedler #183 Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:22 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

I said i would, so i did. I did submit it(with the two photos) but i also wanted to share it here. Here is the Revell 1/306 USS Fletcher kit converted into the USS Kidd DD-661. As it's the Kidd, it features only 1 torpedo launcher, but an increased AA suite as well as the measure 22 camouflage. I did some basic rigging and included an American flag as well as the Charley, Juliet, and Foxtrot signal flags. She measures about 15 inches long, and i think she's a beauty. one of my best models to date, despite the kit being originally made in the 1960's. Here are the pictures(sorry for the crappy webcam quality)
In progress:
Spoiler
Finished:
Spoiler

Edited by cfedler, 16 May 2017 - 04:24 AM.

Fair winds, and Following Seas

Selek_7101 #184 Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Okay- I had to do this one.

This is a scratch build (from the original dockyard blueprints) of the ship I served aboard, USS Ponce LPD-15 (now AFSB(I)-15).  She is the last of the Austin class amphibious transport docks, and she was launched just under a year before I was born. She is named for the city of Ponce, Puerto Rico (and in turn, for Ponce de Lion).  Her name is pronounced "pon-SAY", and she's known to her crew as "The Proud Lion", or more perjoratively as "The Proud Pig".

Nearly fifty years old, she's in the top five of the oldest ships on active duty in the US Navy.  She's been there, done that, and has the scars to prove it.

Like nearly every other small- and medium-sized "gator freighter" the Austin class has been largely ignored by the modelling community (the Tarawa and Wasp classes get all the glory).  With the exception of a few (very pricey) 1/700 resin kits, no major modelling company has bothered with them.  Between that fact and the (comparative) rarity of the paper-ship building hobby itself, it is very likely that this is the only model of its kind in the world.

And that makes her special in her own way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Selek_7101, 18 May 2017 - 07:29 AM.

Selek_7101 #185 Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

For some reason, the submissions page won't allow me to enter this.

It keeps hanging up on the "description" field, even if I don't submit one.

Did you folks forget to extend the deadline in the submissions page coding?

Can anybody help?

Edited by Selek_7101, 18 May 2017 - 08:00 AM.

WolfmanJack99 #186 Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

This would have been a great contest if there was more time. I'm with MaliceA4Thought on this one. It takes me 14 days just to get all the pieces in order :look:

If I had seen this post earlier and already had a model I would have attempted it, but I'd have to order one of the models 1st.

Edited by WolfmanJack99, 18 May 2017 - 06:00 PM.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved."
-Sun Tzu

light.png

http://na.warshipstoday.com/signature/1003540199/light.png

NikoPower #187 Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:00 AM

Community Corgi Enthusiast

• Administrator

View PostWolfmanJack99, on 18 May 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

This would have been a great contest if there was more time. I'm with MaliceA4Thought on this one. It takes me 14 days just to get all the pieces in order :look:

If I had seen this post earlier and already had a model I would have attempted it, but I'd have to order one of the models 1st.

I totally understand your concern with the window of time. When it comes to planning these contests, it gets more difficult than you think. Especially something like this that spans both NA and EU.

When we plan a contest, we have to take the time of, for lack of a better term, interest from the community. To use 2 weeks as an example, players can be super hyped for the contest for the first week and then have it totally fall off for the second week. Sometimes this requires us to track down winners because they simply forgot the contest they entered. On the NA side of thing, ship build contests have successfully been knocked out in two weeks with voting to come shortly after. This has included kit models, LEGO models, and even models made out of metal.

So this was the length of the contest we decided. When we realized, thanks to the feedback from all of you, we extended it to 3 1/2 weeks. We really couldn't go further than that. Mostly because we wanted to make sure it got handled in a timely manner and also so people would remember the contest enough to vote when the time came.

So, I hope you can understand a bit why we plan these things and just a small part of what goes into their creation.

- Created by Jorge_555

"To be honest in some strange way when I think of Niko I just imagine a Corgi, like my brain knows that Niko is a human but the Corgi image just works." - Devastator5000

MaliceA4Thought #188 Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester

Still working on mine, it will be ready :)

M

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, whilst defeated warriors go to war and then seek to win
(Sun Tzu)

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "My Country" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

MJPIA #189 Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Well I just realized today this contest was extended.

Just finished a ship model today and have lots of progress pictures but since I assumed the contest was over I didn't put my username in any of the pictures.  

I can easily do a picture of the finished model with the date and my username in it but I obviously can't go back in time.

Well I guess I'm out of luck.

Might as well pimp it here though.

Posted Image

Never built a model before and going for the metal kit with over 130 pieces may not have been the smartest idea in the world but its done now.

Edited by MJPIA, 19 May 2017 - 09:26 PM.

SubTender_Taigei #190 Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Thought that I would post my submission. There's some pretty good stuff already submitted, hope I make it to the finals!

Admiral_Cirno #191 Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

Seaman

• Members

Question:  Where do we vote?  Here?

ELDIFERENTE #192 Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:43 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostAdmiral_Cirno, on 20 May 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

Question:  Where do we vote?  Here?

Hi Admiral_Cirno​, Is in that link between those dates:

View PostNikoPower, on 02 May 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

Voting: May 26 - June 2

Greetings.

Unabletony #193 Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:28 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

Here's my submission than..

Spoiler
Spoiler

Because Hyuuga is cute~

Azuki is my catpanion~

Take that, Nyagato-sempai~!

Selek_7101 #194 Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostMJPIA, on 19 May 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Well I just realized today this contest was extended.

Just finished a ship model today and have lots of progress pictures but since I assumed the contest was over I didn't put my username in any of the pictures.  

I can easily do a picture of the finished model with the date and my username in it but I obviously can't go back in time.

Well I guess I'm out of luck.

Might as well pimp it here though.

Posted Image

Never built a model before and going for the metal kit with over 130 pieces may not have been the smartest idea in the world but its done now.

For a new modeler taking on an entirely new kit type, she looks damned fine.

Excellent job.

AhosChaos #195 Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I'm really glad that the contest was extended by a bit.  I started a week or two before the contest was even announced, but then I had to take 2 weeks off from building the model when the contest was announced.  So in total just under 3 weeks were spent on making this model with about an average of 4-5 hours for those three weeks.  My pictures on the actual contest submission site are meh, mainly because I was afraid that if I took a full body shot of the ship, the details wouldn't be as clear.  So to remedy the meh pictures, here are some more

Spoiler

Also as I said I started working on the model about 2 weeks before the contest, I don't have my name or date in the first picture. Hopefully that's not an issue.

Rip stat.png

I was Unicum in BB's and CV's with a WTR of 1798 and 1777 ... for one day, but hey I was Unicum

"If you kill me I'll buy you an Okhotnik"-NoZoupForYou 3/10/17 roughly 7:09 PST - I guess Zoup is going to buy me an Okhotnik- The real question is when though-Read my most recent Baltimore post for proof

3/19/17 1:55 PST NoZoupForYou became a god in my heart

NikoPower #196 Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:33 AM

• Administrator

Great work so far everyone! Remember, you HAVE to upload your image to the submission link in the original post to be considered.

Also, remember that you HAVE to have your name written on some sort of signage and date within your images to verify it is yours. Both an in progress and completed product. 

- Created by Jorge_555

"To be honest in some strange way when I think of Niko I just imagine a Corgi, like my brain knows that Niko is a human but the Corgi image just works." - Devastator5000

Lord_Zath #197 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

Commander

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Beta Testers
    Supertester

View PostNikoPower, on 21 May 2017 - 11:33 PM, said:

Great work so far everyone! Remember, you HAVE to upload your image to the submission link in the original post to be considered.

Also, remember that you HAVE to have your name written on some sort of signage and date within your images to verify it is yours. Both an in progress and completed product. 

Hey just to make sure, I resubmitted with proper date on the finished photo, but I forgot the date on the in-progress model.  I think you said that was OK before, but just want to make sure I don't get disqualified because of that.  Please LMK...  if it is DQ worthy, I can try to build another one...

NikoPower #198 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:50 PM

• Administrator

View PostLord_Zath, on 22 May 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

Hey just to make sure, I resubmitted with proper date on the finished photo, but I forgot the date on the in-progress model.  I think you said that was OK before, but just want to make sure I don't get disqualified because of that.  Please LMK...  if it is DQ worthy, I can try to build another one...

It should be fine. I'll check with my EU counterpart but you should be good. 

- Created by Jorge_555

_V12 #199 Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Hey Niko.  The submission website seemed a little wonky, not sure if it went through or not - looked hung then gave me some sort of error about submission count.  Let me know if it shows up for you guys.  Thanks

Edited by _V12, 23 May 2017 - 04:14 AM.

World of Tanks beta tester.  RIP NavyField, the most fun battle game that only worked once every few battles.  Second place Supremacy League, third season.

MaliceA4Thought #200 Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:11 AM

Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester

OK so getting the entry for the competition ready, ie the photos and things but thought I would post it here as well...

I wanted to do something a bit different so decided to scratchbuild something from plans available via the internet and that way I could use some of my surplus bits and pieces from the modelling bench.

May I present, on the workbench (as you can see)...    

USS LEHIGH  1/250  Scratchbuilt as on river patrol 1865  (Passaic clss monitor)

In this mode she is battle ready,  launches have been landed upstream for collection later and shes ready to go into battle with all railings down and as much stripped from her decks as possible and is in well worn state after 2 years continuous service

Main armament..  1 x 15" smoothbore gun with 1x8" parrot rifle as aiming gun.

Regards

M

Edited by MaliceA4Thought, 24 May 2017 - 02:12 AM.

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, whilst defeated warriors go to war and then seek to win
(Sun Tzu)

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "My Country" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

WackyMan157