Ryujo in Tier 8 Tips?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

KingJacko #1 Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I AM NOT HERE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT AA

But when i do find myself a match with my 1/2/2 Ryujo in Tier 8, I can really only afford to go after the destroyers, with my 48 hangar capacity.  Plus, if i find myself a fighter loadout carrier on the other side, at least one of my strike squadrons is guaranteed to have a fighter on it.  Do you guys have any tips on how to preserve Ryujo planes in a tier 8 game while being effective?  I think many players will need this going into the Hiyru, with its torpedo bombers with only 1210 health.

Thanks in advance.

KingJacko #2 Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I also know about stacking planes, so I have that covered.

AVR_Project #3 Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Like being in a tier 6 DD in a tier 8 battle with every cruiser having Radar, and Battleships having secondary's that outrange your torpedoes...

You do your best.

Spotting is an important job too.  You may not do a lot of damage, but you will win battles if you position your aircraft so they can spot torpedoes, and destroyers.

What I also do is send each squad after a different ship.

It confounds the heck out of them that everyone figures all your planes are attacking their particular ship.  (Most CV ops concentrate attention on only one ship)  It scatters their line, stalls their advance, causes confusion.

Of course, that only works in Random.  Co-Op bots don't care.

Another thing you can do is just send out your fighters and bombers to scout at the beginning.  The enemy CV will hold back, expecting a snipe, and you can save your torpedo planes for mid-battle after ships get burned down and only have half their AA.  Again, psychological warfare only works on people.

So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5

Sir_Orrin #4 Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I just had a sucessful tier 8 match in my ryujo last night. Bascially I used my bombers as scouts, staying out of AA range, until pretty late in the match. While my bombers scouted, I used my fighter squadron to dissuade the enemy CVs strikes, and shot down catapult planes. About half-way through the match, I started seeking out good targets with my bombers, and ended up with 74k dmg by the end. Trying to send in bombers at the start is suicide in a tier 8 match with the Ryujo.

Spoiler

Flashtirade #5 Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

You have to be incredibly patient with your strikes. You may even have to wait upwards of half the game before any good opportunities present themselves.

But it's better to effective towards the end of the battle than losing everything at the start.

Sir_Orrin #6 Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostFlashtirade, on 02 May 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

You have to be incredibly patient with your strikes. You may even have to wait upwards of half the game before any good opportunities present themselves.

But it's better to effective towards the end of the battle than losing everything at the start.

Thanks for making a better version of my post! :D

Spoiler

StoneRhino #7 Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Just wait until those same tbs start see tier9s when you upgrade to Hiryu.

That being said practice the long drop. And don t be afraid  to auto drop, it's not ideal but it's wider drop cone and almost stacked squardrons with get some hits.

Also vision is king you don't have to be over a ship to spot it just in front of allies is fine. Every strike you do that causes a dot call out when they repair. Watch a few videos on active and passive spotting for wot, then think of your squadrons as light tanks.

Lastly stay near the fleet. Their AA is your friend and it shortens the response time of your fighters if they try a snipe. This one applies even when you're top tier because it lower the sortie times for bombers and more sorties equals more impact on the game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users