Stupid DD why aren't You Capping

destroyer CAPs tactics

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Halinspark #21 Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

As an IJN DD player, I prefer going into caps first, but staying near the border. That way I can still try to cap, but Im also in a position to spot/smoke for my allies and still able to leave the cap if resistance is too great. Once we take a cap, begin work on spotting, attacking captial shipping, smoking allies, etc. as required.

My preferred doctrine is that if you have 4 DDd, you send DDs to two caps in pairs. If you only have 3, then send the most self-sufficient by themselves. Soviet and American DDs are great at killing enemy destroyers, but they need that first strike, which means they need a spotter. Any underage boats we can sink on the enemy team make all our jobs much easier. 

Malamute_Kid #22 Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:21 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Play your boat the way you want to play it.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson

Aduial #23 Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:38 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

Even though I will always try to be as aggressive as possible when it comes to caps, if there's a CV in the game or a radar cruiser on your flank, it's impossible to pull off the usual strategy of rushing the cap. 

My terrible stats:

My Favorite ships: Mogami,  Clemson, T8 Fubuki, Mikasa, Gneisenau, Fletcher

Aduial's commander build recommendations (post 0.6.0)               Remove Detonations from Ranked battles                 Rebalancing Aircraft Loadouts          Repair Party for Tier 8 Cruisers?           Strafing:           Suggestion about carrier MM          

MrDeaf #24 Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:56 PM

Admiral

• Members

Here, I made you complainers a video on why it's just impossible to cap at times.

I hope this explains the situation well.

Now with more Youtube.

Subscribe to this thread for latest videos: http://forum.worldof...youtube-videos/

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship

Umikami #25 Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:30 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

Capping has become a whole different ballgame since the stealth fire nerf. Typical now is for the first DD to smoke while the opposing team tries to blind fire him. Radar and hydro, on both cruisers and battleships, makes this suicidal, as a radar ship can approach from smoke and detect everyone, and the DD's die first.

Whenever someone asks, or tells, me to cap my response is "kill the radar ships first".

MrDeaf #26 Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:12 AM

Admiral

• Members

View PostUmikami, on 03 May 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

Capping has become a whole different ballgame since the stealth fire nerf. Typical now is for the first DD to smoke while the opposing team tries to blind fire him. Radar and hydro, on both cruisers and battleships, makes this suicidal, as a radar ship can approach from smoke and detect everyone, and the DD's die first.

Whenever someone asks, or tells, me to cap my response is "kill the radar ships first".

I have seen you in your Akizuki

You took your Akizuki into a cramped cap circle with zero help from your team.

You didn't really use your concealment advantage of Akizuki to light up worse concealment DDs.

(With all upgrades and skills, Akizuki has 5.9km, where as Shinonome and Fubuki have 6.3km)

You didn't disengage when you should have and tried pushing into 2x full HP DDs right at the start, one of which was my Shinonome.

You didn't even get radar'd by the ships on my team. You simply kept trying to gun down the Fubuki, all the while taking fire from 3+ ships.

You did not even try to disengage until it was far too late

What's more, you kept firing HE, when you should have fired AP to sink the Fubuki faster and you didn't even bother firing torps into my smoke

All in all, you did not use any of the advantages that your Akizuki had and got sunk because you played poorly.

Now with more Youtube.

Subscribe to this thread for latest videos: http://forum.worldof...youtube-videos/

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship

Xenomancers #27 Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

No cap is worth sinking for. Sinking enemy ships - much more worth it.

"Nevermind about maneuvers, go straight at 'em" - Lord Nelson

steelrain97 #28 Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Keep in mind that contesting caps does not necessarily mean securing a cap yourself. Forcing enemy DD's into smoke, throwing Torps to force enemy ships to turn and/or burn damage control on floods, keeping vision so enemy ships can be shot, smoking cruisers and BB's to deny vision. All of this falls into the contesting caps category just as much as actually securing the cap yourself. If you rush up and smoke cap, you are severely limiting the ability of teammates to support you and forcing them to play defensively since they will likely be getting shot by invisible ships. If a cap can be taken for free, then take it. But if a cap is heavily contested, then winning the battle for the cap is far more important than temporarily turning it green, just to have it taken back by the Red team 3 minutes later.

Landing_Skipper #29 Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:19 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

CAPS MATTER

I really don't think players need any more encouragement to play the "After you..." "No no no, after you - I insist" game. Be cautious of course, but cap if you can. 

Up to Tier 6, I generally do rush toward "my" cap. However, I may pull up short of the cap circle and move sideways - perpendicular to the expected approach of the enemy. Radio Location helps a LOT with this, especially if my detection range is smalller than red DDs. Whether I go sideways inside the cap or short of it depends on a lot of factors. Are there fast firing cruisers suppporting me?  A Russian DD? (Yay!) Does the enemy team have RADAR?  

Radar and planes make a big difference in how aggressive I will be approaching a cap. Mr_Deaf's video above demonstrates a nightmare scenario any higher Tier DD player is all too familiar with. Tier 8 and above I rarely go full speed toward a cap at the start of the battle. If there are radar cruisers, I need to know where they are. If there's a CV, I need to know if he's focusing on DDs like me or going for capital ships. 

All that said, if no one caps on my team I know we are going to lose. Same if my team goes for the A or C cap but then fails to contest B in the center.

I will never understand why BBs flock to the cap we've already secured and then stay there. Especially if some convenient island shelters them AND prohibits them from shooting at anything. 

What's my point?  Up to Tier 6 or so, a sneaky DD can and should try to solo cap. Just be ready to bail if necessary. At higher Tiers spotting the enemy becomes even more important. Plus you may have the tools (torps) to sink ships at 10km, giving you a bigger cushion to work with. If you don't have teammates behind you, fuggetaboutit. However, it is a BIG part of the DD's job to push a cap whenever they can and try to keep the enemy from capping themselves. 

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

icepac_hero #30 Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:32 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

@OP : 

Your problem is that you don't maintain formation.  Your design is accurate BB ---------- CA--CL----DD

But if you they slow down or you realize that you are speeding up relatively to them, then SLOW DOWN.  Because if you speed up and then stop right at the edge of cap then it does look like you should be capping and you are instead not doing anything.

If you maintain formation then you will naturally cap when your whole team is in range for you to do so.

And if your support decides to turn tail then why shouldn't you ??!

To the 'points are important and hard to come by' comments :

No, no and more NO!

Points are completely secondary to ships survival.  Because when you lose a ship you also lose points while the enemy gains points...

Points only become important if the game stall : for example in a rank game where everyone decides to hide behind islands and wait...

Points are rarely important in Random because people always end up duking it out...

Xenomancers #31 Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View Posticepac_hero, on 08 May 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

@OP : 

Your problem is that you don't maintain formation.  Your design is accurate BB ---------- CA--CL----DD

But if you they slow down or you realize that you are speeding up relatively to them, then SLOW DOWN.  Because if you speed up and then stop right at the edge of cap then it does look like you should be capping and you are instead not doing anything.

If you maintain formation then you will naturally cap when your whole team is in range for you to do so.

And if your support decides to turn tail then why shouldn't you ??!

To the 'points are important and hard to come by' comments :

No, no and more NO!

Points are completely secondary to ships survival.  Because when you lose a ship you also lose points while the enemy gains points...

Points only become important if the game stall : for example in a rank game where everyone decides to hide behind islands and wait...

Points are rarely important in Random because people always end up duking it out...

Pretty good description right here. 90% of battles will be decided by who has the most ships left.

"Nevermind about maneuvers, go straight at 'em" - Lord Nelson

Bill_Halsey #32 Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Block Quote

I will never understand why BBs flock to the cap we've already secured and then stay there. Especially if some convenient island shelters them AND prohibits them from shooting at anything.

Oh that's simple. They think it's "safe" To be there. Of course, in T8-T10 play, there's nothing to prevent a Kagero to a Shimi from just torp spaming into the cap.

All things being equal you win the game by capping. If red tm has all three caps in the first 4 minutes then it falls to RNJesus to even the odds for you. And since most games now are ending in 10 minutes or less, those are poor odds.

Also tagged with destroyer, CAPs, tactics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users