Debate: Which is the ugliest?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Debate: Which is the ugliest? (66 members have cast votes)

which is ugliest?

1. Chester (31 votes [46.97%])

Percentage of vote: 46.97%

2. Bogatyr (4 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

3. Oleg (1 vote [1.52%])

Percentage of vote: 1.52%

4. Emden (1 vote [1.52%])

5. Aurora (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Dmitri Donskoi (5 votes [7.58%])

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

7. imperaor Nikolai (6 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

8. Nurnberg (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Izumo (17 votes [25.76%])

Percentage of vote: 25.76%

10. Scharnhorst (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Mikasa (1 vote [1.52%])

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

commodore_torakula #21 Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Postbad_arcade_kitty, on 02 May 2017 - 10:43 PM, said:

i dunno, i recall back then when i only was beginning to play this game chester fascinated me as a very handsome ship and i still feel the same

aurora is a fat cow though. bogatyr is a fatty too, but at least she has a fascinating bow and a cute gazebo on her aft

The gazebo quip nearly made me laugh...honestly, like I said before, the Emden and the Aurora are cute as hell...

Here's another dumb idea for y'all:  I friggin' love driving my Scharnhorst and sinking people with her, but what if I put her up as an option here?  Who would vote for her\?  Let's see. ....

I've got it...I'll put her up as a choice and see who votes.  Thanks for reading.

Greetings again, mortals!

commodore_torakula #22 Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostPhoenix_jz, on 01 May 2017 - 02:56 AM, said:

:D oh man, the forum censor never gets old 

and I concur, boy. ... ....other websites put the auto-censor in and I go ballistic... ....somehow on the Warships front I can say whatever I like and type merrily away but it doesn't matter.

RRFroste #23 Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:30 AM

Seaman

• Members

Mikasa, it looks like a paddle-wheeler with two big, out of place turrets.

Good luck, and see you in my cross-hairs!

commodore_torakula #24 Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:45 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostRRFroste, on 10 May 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

Mikasa, it looks like a paddle-wheeler with two big, out of place turrets.

well put. ...I don't like the way it looks and I didn't like conning it when I won it as a free ship. ...Mikasa's on the list

hanesco #25 Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:50 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

The ugliest ship I have senn is the stock Myogi. Damn ship is plain! And Izumo can't be left behind, she too has a lot of damn free deck space

Current ships:

Tier II-IV: Tachibana, Emden, Katori, Kuma, Duguay-Trouin.

Tier V-VI: Kamikaze R, ARP Kongo (all), Furutaka, T-22, Konig, Kirov, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee.

Tier VII: ARP Myoko (all), Pensacola, Mahan, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Shchors, Minsk.

Tier VIII:  ARP Takao, Amagi, Mogami, Kagero, Kiev, Ognevoi, Adm. Hipper.

TenguBlade #26 Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

Vice Admiral

• Members

The only reason I didn't pick Chester is because I really like the Great White Fleet color scheme she has on her stock hull.  I'm a sucker for that scheme - it harkens back to an age when appearance took precedence over practicality.  Before submarines, before aircraft, before torpedo boats all meant that ships had to be dressed in eye-[edited] camouflages for survival's sake.  Same reason a lot of the older ships get a pass, although it's worth noting I actually like Nikolai's shape.  It perfectly conveys everything she's about: tanking and dishing out a pounding.

Similar story with Dmitri Donskoi.  The way that superstructure "leans" forwards, combined with her long, slender hull and high top speed, reminds me of a cat poised to strike.  Not very Russian-esque for sure, but I like it.  Nurnberg is just there - functional (barely) and not terribly-ugly while doing it.  Scharnhorst appeals to me somewhat in the same way that Nikolai does.  Her toughness is plain for all to see - she gives no [edited]s about what you throw at her and practically dares you to try your worst by flaunting that 350mm thick belt.  Plus there's the Atlantic Bow, and the fact these two ships still have somewhat-streamlined hull shapes compared to the Bismarcks and later German designs, although I personally favor the in-game Gneisenau over her sister due to the longer bow making her lines more streamlined.

Izumo takes the crown, not for being the overall most ugly, but because of how great an atrocity it is to attach that kind of superstructure to an otherwise elegant design.  The hull has great form - arguably better than Yamato's due to not bulging out sharply around the middle - and very clean lines all the way up to the main deck.  Then they had the nerve to stick on a [edited] for a bridge and attach a bunch of secondary guns in just the wrong way, so the secondary battery looks like the ballsac to the [edited] that is the conning tower.  This is especially the case on the A and B hulls, where there's only a few pairs of 5" secondary guns on each side separated by empty deck space.

Edited by TenguBlade, 21 May 2017 - 07:21 AM.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

commodore_torakula #27 Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostNimitz_1701, on 01 May 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Nurnburg looks fine, nothing wrong with her in terms of her appearance.

Also it would be interesting if some one did a Debate post like this but for the best looking ship.

By the way to answer your question the worst on your list is Chester, may she forever stay in the scrap heap.

and so i did....forget where i put it--probably in "Cruisers," called, "Which is ugliest"

basically I said gold medal:  Scharnhorst // silver medal: Lexington // bronze medal: Izyaslav

those are my true feelings on the aesthetics of ships.

for the uglies my humble opinion is:     gold medal:  Chester // silver medal: Izumo // bronze medal: Katori

and don't get me wrong here--I love conning my Katori in-game, but let's face it--it's a goofy looking ship.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users