Why or Why Not Perth?
Things to be wary about:
- Very short main battery range, this is her greatest liability.
- Not exactly tough but many Cruisers aren't.
- AA is terrible.
- Like other RN CLs, feels highly vulnerable when smoke is on CD.
- The smoke active time, i.e. how long the smoke that is dropped lasts on the map, is extremely short. This is not a "team utility" smoke like every other smoke pattern out there in the game. Division mates with tight communication can use it but not the random teammate. This is not smoke you can drop for your team to camp in.
What she is good for:
- Very stealthy for Tier VI.
- While the smoke that is dropped doesn't last long, Perth's smoke generator pumps it out for a long, long, LONG time. This is crucial because this is what enables her to do "Creeping Smoke" for the entire time the consumable is active. No other ship is like that in the game, not even DDs do that. Move Perth in 1/4 speed, pop smoke and go to town. Creeping Smoke is a huge advantage because you are not stationary and smoke tends to invite a lot of torpedoes, it's a bit harder when that smoke is moving. But to be sure, do this while angled and not fully broadside because skilled players will still take shots at the "Leading Edge" of your smoke as you move.
- Has the flexibility of HE+AP shell selection, something Belfast gets but all normal RN CL's don't. Both shells are very viable, especially considering the short range nature of Perth. If something is broadside, plant AP. At the ranges Perth fights, it's very dangerous to opposing ships, superstructures.
- Unlike Belfast, Perth has torps.
- Does not have Radar access but unlike Belfast and RN CLs, Perth has a good combination: Smoke, Hydro, HE+AP shells, Torpedoes, Catapult Fighter / Spotter Plane. Yes, she can have a plane up to spot for her while in smoke, something no other RN CL can do. Belfast has however Radar to see through smoke but the duration isn't long for normal spotting like the Catapult Fighter / Spotter Plane. Catapult Fighters in particular are up for a very long time.
Perth is a big ship of contradictions. But she has some gimmicks and as a total package, gives her user tools to do well with. But as with any other RN CL, screw it up, you is dead. Lastly OP, there was a recent thread about Perth and Smoke Generator Mod 1 use and IMO, it's the best fit in the game for it to go on her. I'm loathe to use that mod on anything else. You can see the thread here with how the smoke generator is affected with and without the mod.
Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 30 April 2017 - 06:47 PM.