Cruiser Perth

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Adm_Nate_Ellis937 #1 Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

So I don't have Perth yet, but I am looking to buy her today. I also have 1x Smoke Mod Upgrade 1. Would Perth benefit that over Kutuzov?

Any Perth owners care to give me some feedback on the ship, what you like/dislike about her?

TYVM. :)

SgtSullyC3 #2 Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

Ensign

• Members

Yes, use that smoke upgrade. With it, you will have a moving smokescreen that'll last for 117s. I'm about to buy my Perth, she looks like a fun ship!

Edited by SgtSullyC3, 28 April 2017 - 01:10 PM.

T1-3: Erie, Smith, Derski, G-101, Katori, St. Louis, Bogatyr, Friant, South Carolina

T4-6: Izyaslav, Clemson, Danae, Yūbari, Kaiser, Kamikaze, Königsberg, Omaha, Kongo, Bogue, Duca D'Aosta, Cleveland, Aoba, Perth, Ryujo

T7-9: Shiratsuyu, Sims, Mahan, Atlanta, Belfast (gift from YureiKuma), Ranger, Saipan, New Orleans, North Carolina, Alabama, Lexington, Iowa, Missouri

GoalsIJN: Hiryu, Mogami - USN: Benson, Baltimore, Essex - KMS: T-22, Gneisenau - HMS: Leander, Fiji - VMF: Podvoisky, Budyonny - MN: Duguay-Trouin, La Galissonnière

SyndicatedINC #3 Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Indeed, equip Smoke Mod, engage trolling, enjoy the tears of your enemies.

"If you won a chess game because the other player had a heart attack during the match, how proud would you be of your victory?

Did you really "win"? That's what it's like, imho." -wadavid (regarding victory by detonating an opponent)

Sharkbait_416 #4 Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Yep. I've had Perth since release. Smoke mod makes it much more fun to play.

Follow the link for a WoWS Invite Code: http://playtogether..../invite/7gbYqmz

Doomlock #5 Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostSharkbait_416, on 28 April 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

Yep. I've had Perth since release. Smoke mod makes it much more fun to play.

As if a moving smoke spewing shells wasn't fun already. :)

Fair winds and following seas! -Doomlock

Hit hard, hit fast, hit often! -Fleet Admiral William "Bull" Halsey.

Current ships: IJN: MikasaTachibanaIshizuchi, Yūbari, Kamikaze R, AobaAkatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Amagi, Atago, ZaōUSN: Albany, Texas, New York, Arizona, Farragut, Pensacola, Indianapolis, Sims, Alabama. VMF:  Aurora, Gremyashchy, Budyonny, Molotov, Minsk, Mikhail Kutuzov, Udaloi.  RN: Leander, Belfast. KM: Emden, Admiral Graf Spee, Nürnberg, Ernst Gaede, Scharnhorst, Bismarck, Prinz Eugen. MN: Friant, Émile Bertin. Fleet of Fog: Kongō, Hiei, Haruna, Kirishima, Myōkō, Haguro, Nachi, Ashigara, Takao. MW: Błyskawica.  CW: Perth. 

My Complete list of Warship Pics and AHLA's

Adm_Nate_Ellis937 #6 Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

Do I need to go a certain speed for it to be effective? like 1/2 speed?

SgtSullyC3 #7 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

Ensign

• Members

1/4 speed

T1-3: Erie, Smith, Derski, G-101, Katori, St. Louis, Bogatyr, Friant, South Carolina

T4-6: Izyaslav, Clemson, Danae, Yūbari, Kaiser, Kamikaze, Königsberg, Omaha, Kongo, Bogue, Duca D'Aosta, Cleveland, Aoba, Perth, Ryujo

T7-9: Shiratsuyu, Sims, Mahan, Atlanta, Belfast (gift from YureiKuma), Ranger, Saipan, New Orleans, North Carolina, Alabama, Lexington, Iowa, Missouri

GoalsIJN: Hiryu, Mogami - USN: Benson, Baltimore, Essex - KMS: T-22, Gneisenau - HMS: Leander, Fiji - VMF: Podvoisky, Budyonny - MN: Duguay-Trouin, La Galissonnière

MutzLivesMatter #8 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:04 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Lel free perth for me, and use the smoke mod

Estimated_Prophet #9 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:17 PM

Commander

• Members

Techichnically they may be the 'same' ship... but to me, Leander has been an utterly worthless piece of garbage, (especially when compared to Emerald, whose torpedo blob I have used to successfully troll battleships on occasion...) Perth, on the other hand, I have had better success with. Having what is effectively a moving smoke cloud is its own kind of fun.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

Herr_Reitz #10 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

So that's the specialty (novelty) item which makes the Perth desirable? I was looking her over in the tech tree (using the WoWS mod) to ascertain why people like her so much. I was comparing her to a Belfast and other cruisers at/near her tier. 

It just  wasn't obvious to me - so are there other reasons besides the 'moving smoke cloud' cause I'm curious too. 

SluggerJackson #11 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:31 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Its horrible range makes this ship undesirable.  Sure you can move your smoke at 12.5 knots, and you have HE, and decent torps, but a cruiser with sub 14km guns at tier 6 can't compete.

However if you like sitting in smoke like a [edited]then feel free to buy this ship.

Hochtaloughie #12 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:53 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostAdm_Nate_Ellis937, on 28 April 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

Do I need to go a certain speed for it to be effective? like 1/2 speed?

You have to stay under about 12.5 knots (I believe) to avoid outrunning your smoke. 1/4 speed is 8 knots, 1/2 is too fast and it is possible to outrun the smoke in reverse.

I try to vary my speed within the smoke but usually default to 1/4 speed if things get busy.

You have a relatively short firing range so stocking the spotter plane is a good idea to wring a little more distance out of your guns.

It fires both HE and AP which is nice and she has torpedoes.

Anecdotally, I feel that, comparatively speaking,  she's a tier 6 version of Belfast but with torps (but not at all OP). Not a completely accurate comparison but that's how it feels when I play her.

She can be used to train up Captains in the expectation that more Commonwealth ships will be entering the game (HMCS Haida! Please, please, please, please).

Doomlock #13 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostHerr_Reitz, on 28 April 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

So that's the specialty (novelty) item which makes the Perth desirable? I was looking her over in the tech tree (using the WoWS mod) to ascertain why people like her so much. I was comparing her to a Belfast and other cruisers at/near her tier. 

It just  wasn't obvious to me - so are there other reasons besides the 'moving smoke cloud' cause I'm curious too. 

Her smoke is the thing yes. The clouds only stay up for 10s base but the generator continues puffing for 90s. So you can either go slow and have a moving smoke, or you can have a top speed smoke sailing with your BBs and keeping them covered at top speed.

I've had fun with her, my first game in her was a heartbreak game doing 103k damage and 3 kills.

Fair winds and following seas! -Doomlock

Hit hard, hit fast, hit often! -Fleet Admiral William "Bull" Halsey.

Current ships: IJN: MikasaTachibanaIshizuchi, Yūbari, Kamikaze R, AobaAkatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Amagi, Atago, ZaōUSN: Albany, Texas, New York, Arizona, Farragut, Pensacola, Indianapolis, Sims, Alabama. VMF:  Aurora, Gremyashchy, Budyonny, Molotov, Minsk, Mikhail Kutuzov, Udaloi.  RN: Leander, Belfast. KM: Emden, Admiral Graf Spee, Nürnberg, Ernst Gaede, Scharnhorst, Bismarck, Prinz Eugen. MN: Friant, Émile Bertin. Fleet of Fog: Kongō, Hiei, Haruna, Kirishima, Myōkō, Haguro, Nachi, Ashigara, Takao. MW: Błyskawica.  CW: Perth. 

My Complete list of Warship Pics and AHLA's

crzyhawk #14 Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

Perth is deadly in the right hands.  In most hands, she's a liability to the team.  I definitely recommend the smoke mod.  She's very soft, but dances well.  get a CE captain in her as fast as you can.  You can move in your smoke at 1/4 speed, and that's very useful.  With CE captain your concealment gets down to 8.6.  She'll "oh crap" a lot of people when you decloak at pistol shot range.  Don't be afraid to AP broadside cruisers.  You can also overmatch the bows of Omahas and slam AP down their throat if they rush you.  be careful when you are shooting with Perth.  Sometimes you have to shut the guns off, and use your stealth.

HMS_Formidable #15 Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:23 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

What's desirable about Perth?

She's a T6 Belfast

She can see outside her moving smoke cloud with aircraft and hydroacoustic.

So she doesn't need team-mates to spot for her.

But, no matter what I do, I can't get that new smoke generator mod!

Edited by HMS_Formidable, 29 April 2017 - 12:23 AM.

http://www.armouredcarriers.com/title/

It is often said that the battleship died because it was vulnerable:
this cannot be correct since the new capital ship, the carrier, was far more vulnerable.
The battleship died because it had very little capability for damaging the enemy.

— Brown, D. K: Nelson to Vanguard: Warship Design and Development 

crzyhawk #16 Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:34 AM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View PostHMS_Formidable, on 28 April 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

What's desirable about Perth?

She's a T6 Belfast

She can see outside her moving smoke cloud with aircraft and hydroacoustic.

So she doesn't need team-mates to spot for her.

This is why I think that in ranked if it is T6, Perth is going to be a deadly opponent.  She's got a lot of tools in her tool kit, and people that can put it all together are going to be a pain in the backside to deal with.

Landing_Skipper #17 Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View Postcrzyhawk, on 28 April 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

This is why I think that in ranked if it is T6, Perth is going to be a deadly opponent.  She's got a lot of tools in her tool kit, and people that can put it all together are going to be a pain in the backside to deal with.

I really have fun with the Perth, but Leander and Cleveland would be top choices for competitive play IMHO. 
"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

crzyhawk #18 Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:26 AM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View PostLanding_Skipper, on 29 April 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

I really have fun with the Perth, but Leander and Cleveland would be top choices for competitive play IMHO. 

I disagree.  Cleveland will be good, but Perth brings more to the table than Leander does.

HMS_Formidable #19 Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:50 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

I play both Perth and Leander all the time.

Leander feels better.

Leander ends up getting consistently higher results.

Perth is just too 'niche'

If the cards don't fall your way (and that means a lot of cards), Perth is mincemeat.

You can say the same about Leander, but just not so many cards apply it seems.

(aaand I just checked my stats. Perth actually gives me marginally better results. It just 'feels' a harder ship to operate)

http://www.armouredcarriers.com/title/

It is often said that the battleship died because it was vulnerable:
this cannot be correct since the new capital ship, the carrier, was far more vulnerable.
The battleship died because it had very little capability for damaging the enemy.

— Brown, D. K: Nelson to Vanguard: Warship Design and Development 

JJDOU3D #20 Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostSgtSullyC3, on 28 April 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

Yes, use that smoke upgrade. With it, you will have a moving smokescreen that'll last for 117s. I'm about to buy my Perth, she looks like a fun ship!

I confirm it is a very fun ship. And with the smokescreen upgrade mod, the smoke screen becomes very interesting (117 seconds). Use also Jack of all trade skills (5 % reload time reduction for cool down) and November Foxtrot for another 5 % reduction in cool down, and the premium consumable of the smoke screen for again another reduction in cool down time and having an additionnal smoke screen consumable, and use Superintendent for having another smoke screen at the end of the game :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users