Why Stats Mean So Much

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
347 replies to this topic

Kombat_W0MBAT #41 Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:49 PM

Commander

• Members

"Relaxing" and "Having fun" are not necessarily synonymous.

I don't play Warships to relax. I play for the competition, and I find THAT to be very fun. 

Different people play for  different reasons, there's no "right" way to play the game. 

1nv4d3rZ1m #42 Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

Just fyi everyone, unless you dont care and just play to pew pew a little before you die you are hard core stat freak that drains all the fun out of the the game for everyone and earning a pay check from the game. There are no other options. 

DD497 #43 Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

well.... what a good troll

Hiroe #44 Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostKombat_W0MBAT, on 27 April 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

I don't play Warships to relax. I play for the competition, and I find THAT to be very fun. 

Different people play for  different reasons, there's no "right" way to play the game. 

I've never understood how some people can "activate" their competitive feelings so easily. My competitive feelings only come into play when something substantial is at stake.

<a href='http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png</a>

"A person hears only what he understands." - Goethe

Wowzery #45 Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

Commander

• Members

It was funny reading the replies, especially the stat freaks who freaked out at being made fun of.

Kombat_W0MBAT #46 Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostHiroe, on 27 April 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

I've never understood how some people can "activate" their competitive feelings so easily. My competitive feelings only come into play when something substantial is at stake.

It's pretty easy to "activate" competitive feelings in a competitive game. 

Hiroe #47 Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostKombat_W0MBAT, on 27 April 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

It's pretty easy to "activate" competitive feelings in a competitive game. 

Not for me! It's possible that mine are weaker.

<a href='http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png</a>

Madwolf05 #48 Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

Commander

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostKombat_W0MBAT, on 27 April 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

I agree with everything but the last bit, but by just a little.

The game is supposed to be played, loosely, a certain way. The ultimate goal is to achieve victory through points, base capture, or sinking the entire enemy fleet before the time runs out. Some of the people who "just want to have fun" don't believe this. They believe this is Ship Simulator with weapons they get to use to humor themselves. They don't believe in winning, points, or sinking other ships. That is bad for the game as a whole, and that sort of behavior should be discouraged because it detracts from the game as it was designed. The 99% majority shouldn't have to put up with people that don't want to adhere to the basic principles of the game.

Check out my Twitch Channel: HERE

CPU: Intel i7 3770K, MB: ASUS Maximus V, RAM: 16GB, GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900

Battlecruiser_Tiger #49 Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I maintain high stats for one reason and one reason only: it lends weight to my opinion on the forums. Yes, yes... commence hurling week-old fruit.

[KNMSU] is seeking new members. Please PM me before applying! Thank you!

"Semi-notorious forum twit"

Kombat_W0MBAT #50 Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:31 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostMadwolf05, on 27 April 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

I agree with everything but the last bit, but by just a little.

The game is supposed to be played, loosely, a certain way. The ultimate goal is to achieve victory through points, base capture, or sinking the entire enemy fleet before the time runs out. Some of the people who "just want to have fun" don't believe this. They believe this is Ship Simulator with weapons they get to use to humor themselves. They don't believe in winning, points, or sinking other ships. That is bad for the game as a whole, and that sort of behavior should be discouraged because it detracts from the game as it was designed. The 99% majority shouldn't have to put up with people that don't want to adhere to the basic principles of the game.

Agreed. 

Judge_Doom #51 Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

Ensign

• Members

Stats don't mean squat, all of these so called stat [edited]and stat freaks are just that, they live for something that is essentially unimportant and if anyone thinks for one second that these so called ever unimportant stats are what will define you in the real world, then you just got smoke blown up your rear end.  Everyone likes to win, however, you can like to win without obsessing over useless stats.  Just go out there and have fun, win or lose and forget about stats, the stat [edited]and stat freaks.

Think about this, those that obsess about stats are part of one of two categories, they are either 1) pre adult that have not yet made their way in the real world and think that having good stats in a video game is going to somehow help them in real life, or the are part of group 2) they are adults that have generally failed in real life and have finally made their mommas marginally proud by excelling at something that is useless (video game).

'the weak are meat, the strong do eat'....Cloud Atlas

Should be the Seal Clubbers anthem/fight song

vak_ #52 Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostSeaBreeze_, on 27 April 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

How is trying to be good at a game, trying to win and giving it your best shot at having decent stats make it a job?

It doesnt. Strawman argument. 

chewonit #53 Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:40 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View PostJudge_Doom, on 27 April 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

Think about this, those that obsess about stats are part of one of two categories, they are either 1) pre adult that have not yet made their way in the real world and think that having good stats in a video game is going to somehow help them in real life, or the are part of group 2) they are adults that have generally failed in real life and have finally made their mommas marginally proud by excelling at something that is useless (video game).

Interesting. I am an adult who hasn't accomplished anything and I suck at useless video game like this one. Should I care about stats?

BB's camping is a disease. And Type 93's are the cure.

evilleMonkeigh #54 Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:12 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

100% Agree.

Stats have no relevance.

You cannot control

- who is on your team or their insane tactics (how can you do good damage if your team melts!)/ weekend teams

- or their choices of ship // fail platoons

- the tier of ship you are in (grinding through a T5, GL buddy!)

- the map your are on

- exactly where your shots go (point blank shots miss RNG scatter). I mean, have you fired the Kawachi's guns lately?

- the amount of damage = detonations fun and engaging!// fires chance = dice roll. 

In addition, you are one guy in ~12.  When your battleships ride the baseline, what do you expect?

It's quite possible for a good player to have "poor" stats.

I've explained it in more detail here. Liberate yourself from the tyranny of stats.

Claiming skill influences stats in WoWs is like claiming skill influences dice games.

Wo_9 #55 Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

Captain

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

not these threads again lol

Edited by Wo_9, 27 April 2017 - 09:22 PM.

Missouri, Get!

TY Rolkasa for the Sig     

yashma #56 Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostevilleMonkeigh, on 27 April 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

100% Agree.

Stats have no relevance.

You cannot control

- who is on your team or their insane tactics (how can you do good damage if your team melts!)/ weekend teams

- or their choices of ship // fail platoons

- the tier of ship you are in (grinding through a T5, GL buddy!)

- the map your are on

- exactly where your shots go (point blank shots miss RNG scatter). I mean, have you fired the Kawachi's guns lately?

- the amount of damage = detonations fun and engaging!// fires chance = dice roll. 

In addition, you are one guy in ~12.  When your battleships ride the baseline, what do you expect?

It's quite possible for a good player to have "poor" stats.

I've explained it in more detail here. Liberate yourself from the tyranny of stats.

Claiming skill influences stats in WoWs is like claiming skill influences dice games.

So then, how would you explain how some players manage to attain such high win rates, even over multiple servers and multiple accounts?  Are some people just more "lucky" than others?  

KalishniKat #57 Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:35 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Well....i'm still going to strive to be the best I can, even if it means having no fun, hating the game, hating my fellow players, pointing out their uselessness via my stat monitoring, cursing them out in chat and getting triggered by those "relaxed play for fun guys" all so that I can sign that big money contract at the end.

Hiroe #58 Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostKalishniKat, on 27 April 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

Well....i'm still going to strive to be the best I can, even if it means having no fun, hating the game, hating my fellow players, pointing out their uselessness via my stat monitoring, cursing them out in chat and getting triggered by those "relaxed play for fun guys" all so that I can sign that big money contract at the end.

Hehehe.

Madwolf05 #59 Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

Commander

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

I will say one thing about ship selection:

If someone enters a battle with a ship you think is bad, never, ever assume that it's bad in their hands. I got more crap for taking the Indianapolis into ranked than anyone deserves. Yet, in ranked I was able to put much better numbers than not only the majority of other players playing the Indianapolis by a good margin, but I was able to out-do the majority of players using other Cruisers by a good margin as well. I could have taken a Belfast and been a worse player because I wasn't experienced with her, and didn't have the Captain skills to make her a great ship yet.

If you play your favorite ship you're more likely to do better than if you play a ship that you don't like because someone is telling you it's better than what you enjoy.

Check out my Twitch Channel: HERE

CPU: Intel i7 3770K, MB: ASUS Maximus V, RAM: 16GB, GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900

BrushWolf #60 Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View Post1nv4d3rZ1m, on 27 April 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Just fyi everyone, unless you dont care and just play to pew pew a little before you die you are hard core stat freak that drains all the fun out of the the game for everyone and earning a pay check from the game. There are no other options. 

Playing for fun and doing as well as you can are not mutually exclusive and is really the ideal we should be aiming for.

Ich lasse mir doch nicht mein Schiff unter dem Arsch wegschießen. Feuererlaubnis! (I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!) Ernst Lindemann Captain KMS Bismarck

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users