• This topic is locked This topic is locked
129 replies to this topic

Hiroe #41 Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostChobittsu, on 26 April 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

Wait for it....

I'm not in the mood for it.

<a href='http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png</a>

"A person hears only what he understands." - Goethe

Chobittsu #42 Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostHiroe, on 26 April 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

I'm not in the mood for it.

Mood for what? You'll have to elaborate

CorgiFleet_33 - Dec 18, 2016    -    Corgi_Fleet_71 - Feb 17, 2017

goldeagle1123 #43 Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

Captain

• Members

View PostChobittsu, on 26 April 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

And that's the attitude that leads to the situation devolving into pure anarchy. There is a reason that WG has rules and enforces them.
You wouldn't walk out into the street and start spouting foul tripe at a random stranger you haven't met, so why should the Internet be any different? Anonymity? Doesn't exist anymore. Anyone can find out anything about anyone if they simply dig deep enough. Digital actions can in extreme cases lead to physical consequences.
So why take any risk at all? Just so you can have a few moments of self-gratification by calling someone an [edited] or a [redacted]?
Wargaming set rules for their game and forum, this includes use of profanity. If you don't follow their rules, you get penalized, same as if you were to drop-kick an infant or illegally download a car. Why bother discussing it when it's clear that at no point in the future Wargaming will say "**** it, this is a game about ships, so go ahead and talk like sailors, cyka blyat rush B xaxaxa)))"

I just am indifferent to petty insults, and am capable of ignoring them. Like I said, this is a video game and the internet, not an experiment at a Utopian profanity-free internet. I simply don't care. If someone takes actions in real life over petty insults on the internet, that's their fault for being that emotionally unstable. I guess thick skin is a virtue these days. 

If I gave a s*** every time someone cussed at me on the internet, I would have gone insane within the first week of playing League of Legends.

Edited by goldeagle1123, 26 April 2017 - 09:50 PM.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you"

GuntherPrein #44 Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:48 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostChobittsu, on 26 April 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

And that's the attitude that leads to the situation devolving into pure anarchy. There is a reason that WG has rules and enforces them.
You wouldn't walk out into the street and start spouting foul tripe at a random stranger you haven't met, so why should the Internet be any different? Anonymity? Doesn't exist anymore. Anyone can find out anything about anyone if they simply dig deep enough. Digital actions can in extreme cases lead to physical consequences.
So why take any risk at all? Just so you can have a few moments of self-gratification by calling someone an [edited] or a [redacted]?
Wargaming set rules for their game and forum, this includes use of profanity. If you don't follow their rules, you get penalized, same as if you were to drop-kick an infant or illegally download a car. Why bother discussing it when it's clear that at no point in the future Wargaming will say "**** it, this is a game about ships, so go ahead and talk like sailors, cyka blyat rush B xaxaxa)))"

My god I hope you never get a job at WG ok and risk of what exactly?? that people will know I am a jerk and use profanity???? Lots of people know this already don't bother me much at all

I bet if there was new branch in the justice system called word police you would be the first recruit right??

taut #45 Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

View PostChobittsu, on 26 April 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

Mood for what? You'll have to elaborate

Mood for mashing the report button?

Cuesta_Rey #46 Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

Ensign

• Members

I don't mind the foul language but loathe the ignorant display of poor language skills and lack of vocabulary to express themselves. 

When you hear or read that kind of talk, you know you've arrived in the gutter.

It's true that one should expect it, but it can still be disappointing and very tiring. 

Chobittsu #47 Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostGuntherPrein, on 26 April 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

My god I hope you never get a job at WG ok and risk of what exactly?? that people will know I am a jerk and use profanity???? Lots of people know this already don't bother me much at all

I bet if there was new branch in the justice system called word police you would be the first recruit right??

You seem to be grasping at straws and trying to manipulate the discussion by implying that I'm a... what's an apt description... "goody two shoes teacher's pet" or something of the like? I'm simply following the rules that the administration has laid out. The fact of the matter is you have no authority to choose what rules to follow and which not to. Wargaming has selected what rules they operate on, and as a consumer of their product you are expected to follow those rules, unless you enjoy chat-bans.
If Wargaming were to offer me a job, I'd gladly take it. They're an excellent company that seems to treat it's employees well.

View Postslak__, on 26 April 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

Mood for mashing the report button?

Probably, followed by "[USER]'s opinion doesn't respect my opinion!"

Batwingsix #48 Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:57 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

View Postpmgaudio, on 26 April 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Spoiler

Edited by Batwingsix, 26 April 2017 - 10:01 PM.

Spoiler

KM: Hindenburg / Roon / Tirpitz / Admiral Hipper / Prinz Eugen / Scharnhorst / Yorck / Admiral Graf Spee / Bayern / Konig / T-22 /  Konig Albert / Emden /  RN: Belfast / Leander / Warspite / Danae / Campeltown /  US: Missouri / New Orleans / Pensacola / Indianapolis / Atlanta / Saipan / Sims / Cleveland / Arizona / Farragut / Bogue / Marblehead / New York / Texas / Omaha / Nicholas / Arkansas Beta / Langley / Albany / Smith / IJN: Mogami / Atago / Myoko / Fujin / Kamikaze R / Kamikaze / Iwaki Alpha / Yubari / Ishizuchi / Tachibana / Mikasa / RU: Mikhail Kutuzov / Leningrad / Budyonny / Molotov / Krasny Krym / Gremyashchy / Kirov / Murmansk / Imperiator Nikoli I / Aurora / Diana / Other:  Lo Yang / Blyskawica / Anshan / Dunkerque / Perth / 

Goodwood_Alpha #49 Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:58 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Believe it or not, I don't really swear very much, either on the internets or in real life. Swearing has its place, and when the use of profanity is deemed as necessary, I have amassed quite the plethora of words to wield with élan and pizzazz. But when it comes down to it, they are all just words, oftentimes used flippantly but other times with great purpose and reason. However, because I don't drop f-bombs and other "obscenities" with every statement, then anyone who meets me will know that when I do break out the sentence-spices, then something somewhere has gone severely awry. That seems to be the norm with most relatively-mature adults, in my experience; polite as you please when stress is low and things are going well, angry and even sweary when tensions are high—whether they are winning or losing.

Taken as a whole, the above isn't all that remarkable. On the other hand, the devil is in the details; because these are just words, declared by some past moral authority to be vulgar, base, or otherwise taboo for whatever reason, they only have as much power as the listener gives them. Hence the mantra of "grow a thicker skin"—one of the hallmarks of maturity in humans—which is in essence an extension of the childhood rhyme about sticks and stones. It is an almost universal experience that most of the naughty words we know of, we learned before we hit puberty, and oftentimes we use them when we're younger as individual acts of minor rebellion, especially if we come from more strict upbringings. But humans are fairly emotional creatures, and swearing loudly does have a beneficial aspect: scientific studies have shown that belting out a hearty f-bomb—as opposed to some other random "ordinary" word—increases our ability to endure pain.

Once again, words are only as powerful as we let them be—this cannot be overstated. Just as the pen is mightier than the sword, the word processor mightier than the Tomahawk cruise missile, so too is the cutting jab more powerful than the mightiest battleship. With that in mind, I would posit that the act of trying to shelter oneself or others from words, and the power they can imbue, are doing a grave disservice to those they might wish to protect. The body's immune system protects it from disease, but it needs germs to practice on, so to speak. The mind is similar when it comes to ideas; if it is not exposed to varying opinions and schools of thought, it cannot grow strong and robust in its own views and conclusions. This is why I so vociferously advocate for freedom of speech and expression, because without exposure to contrary notions, hypotheses, theories and whatnot, the marketplace of ideas would atrophy and the collective wisdom of our species would stagnate and eventually die out.

This is one aspect of why the Internet is such a wonderful new frontier for interpersonal communication and the spreading of knowledge. Yes, it can be akin to the Wild West, but considering the fact that the primary ammunition of web warriors are words instead of bullets, the casualty rate is strikingly in its nonexistence. There are, of course, those who take things said on the Internet too far and bring such an impact over into other parts of life, but the same is true of any other means of communication. Before cyberbullies, there were telephone bullies, and before that, the more traditional in-your-face bullies, and the thing they all have in common is a basic lack of confidence (some would say cowardice). If one is not allowed to experience the world in all its glory and horror, then they are lesser-able to hold their own in the face of such bullies, and for that reason I will always oppose any attempts by anyone to impose some sort of morality upon language.

TL;DR version: If you don't want to be affected by words, ignore them. Fortunately, this game has tools to do just that.

"You have enemies? Good, that means that you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." —Winston Churchill

Thoughts on World of WarshipsNo Bull is now recruiting!

SinisterSe7en #50 Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

People who have to melt down online have deeper issues IRL.

TBH there's not much more you could say or do to make their quality of life worse or better - they're going to be like that regardless.

Not trying to come off all holier than thou, but the fact is - the loser is always the one who loses his cool first, whether face to face, over the internet, or on a business bargaining table. You hand the initiative to the other person when you do that, it's such a disadvantage. But eh.. it exists to be exploited xD

in warships though, they aren't aiming or watching where they're going when they're busy being a keyboard commander....

Edited by SinisterSe7en, 26 April 2017 - 10:03 PM.

PicknChew #51 Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I have noticed that homophobic and racist comments do appear more easily in game chat. The "get a job" generation is also pretty active.

No idea where this would come from, and I certainly would not link it to any elections or political leader. Because that would just be fake fact

taut #52 Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

View PostGoodwood_Alpha, on 26 April 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

Believe it or not, I don't really swear very much, either on the internets or in real life. Swearing has its place, and when the use of profanity is deemed as necessary, I have amassed quite the plethora of words to wield with élan and pizzazz. But when it comes down to it, they are all just words, oftentimes used flippantly but other times with great purpose and reason. However, because I don't drop f-bombs and other "obscenities" with every statement, then anyone who meets me will know that when I do break out the sentence-spices, then something somewhere has gone severely awry. That seems to be the norm with most relatively-mature adults, in my experience; polite as you please when stress is low and things are going well, angry and even sweary when tensions are high—whether they are winning or losing.

Taken as a whole, the above isn't all that remarkable. On the other hand, the devil is in the details; because these are just words, declared by some past moral authority to be vulgar, base, or otherwise taboo for whatever reason, they only have as much power as the listener gives them. Hence the mantra of "grow a thicker skin"—one of the hallmarks of maturity in humans—which is in essence an extension of the childhood rhyme about sticks and stones. It is an almost universal experience that most of the naughty words we know of, we learned before we hit puberty, and oftentimes we use them when we're younger as individual acts of minor rebellion, especially if we come from more strict upbringings. But humans are fairly emotional creatures, and swearing loudly does have a beneficial aspect: scientific studies have shown that belting out a hearty f-bomb—as opposed to some other random "ordinary" word—increases our ability to endure pain.

Once again, words are only as powerful as we let them be—this cannot be overstated. Just as the pen is mightier than the sword, the word processor mightier than the Tomahawk cruise missile, so too is the cutting jab more powerful than the mightiest battleship. With that in mind, I would posit that the act of trying to shelter oneself or others from words, and the power they can imbue, are doing a grave disservice to those they might wish to protect. The body's immune system protects it from disease, but it needs germs to practice on, so to speak. The mind is similar when it comes to ideas; if it is not exposed to varying opinions and schools of thought, it cannot grow strong and robust in its own views and conclusions. This is why I so vociferously advocate for freedom of speech and expression, because without exposure to contrary notions, hypotheses, theories and whatnot, the marketplace of ideas would atrophy and the collective wisdom of our species would stagnate and eventually die out.

This is one aspect of why the Internet is such a wonderful new frontier for interpersonal communication and the spreading of knowledge. Yes, it can be akin to the Wild West, but considering the fact that the primary ammunition of web warriors are words instead of bullets, the casualty rate is strikingly in its nonexistence. There are, of course, those who take things said on the Internet too far and bring such an impact over into other parts of life, but the same is true of any other means of communication. Before cyberbullies, there were telephone bullies, and before that, the more traditional in-your-face bullies, and the thing they all have in common is a basic lack of confidence (some would say cowardice). If one is not allowed to experience the world in all its glory and horror, then they are lesser-able to hold their own in the face of such bullies, and for that reason I will always oppose any attempts by anyone to impose some sort of morality upon language.

TL;DR version: If you don't want to be affected by words, ignore them. Fortunately, this game has tools to do just that.

View PostBatwingsix, on 26 April 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

Spoiler

Chobittsu #53 Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:19 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostPicknChew, on 26 April 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

I have noticed that homophobic and racist comments do appear more easily in game chat. The "get a job" generation is also pretty active.

No idea where this would come from, and I certainly would not link it to any elections or political leader. Because that would just be fake fact

Eyyyyy, think you got away with that one~
Agreed, this sort of behavior does seem to be on the rise recently. Many older members of the online community are moving on to more productive things while fresh blood flows in like a tsunami

View PostSinisterSe7en, on 26 April 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

in warships though, they aren't aiming or watching where they're going when they're busy being a keyboard commander....

To be fair, you can't always look every direction at once. I glance at the minimap frequently to scan my surroundings but accidents happen. It's when a destroyer things he has the right to tell me to watch where I'm going when I'm the one in the very large and not very responsive battleship. If he saw me in his way, would it not make more sense to change course and then cuss me out? Rather than hit enter, try to type out a message before the collision, and THEN try to avoid me?
This brings to light another key issue with this sort of player, beyond profanity; inability to take responsibility or being able to act. On one side there's the "It's his fault, not mine" crowd, on the other there's the "Why should I do anything?".
It's these sorts of selfish attitudes that help reinforce the profane users. "Why should I bother reporting this guy for spending the entire battle cursing everyone around him and breaking chat rules?" Although obviously not as severe a crime, it's similar in principle to witnessing a mugging. If you're too lazy to tell the officer what you saw because it doesn't effect you, then it'll just happen again and again until it's you being mugged. Then suuuure you'll make the report, but only because you're now directly involved.
These problem users is only half the problem, being apathetic is the other.

Hiroe #54 Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

It's always interesting to see people act as though they prefer vulgar, excessive, and low class behavior.

<a href='http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png</a>

Apaosha #55 Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:21 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I don't think I'll ever put another post like this up I'm getting too much of a laugh out of all these comments I'll just sit back from now on let the drama fly and let the newbie get ragged on because he or she thinks foul language has run a muck in the game chat l m f a o.

PicknChew #56 Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostChobittsu, on 26 April 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

Eyyyyy, think you got away with that one~

Agreed, this sort of behavior does seem to be on the rise recently. Many older members of the online community are moving on to more productive things while fresh blood flows in like a tsunami

:unsure:

Hiroe #57 Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostApaosha, on 26 April 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

I don't think I'll ever put another post like this up I'm getting too much of a laugh out of all these comments I'll just sit back from now on let the drama fly and let the newbie get ragged on because he or she thinks foul language has run a muck in the game chat l m f a o.

It'll be okay. Remember to drink a lot of water.

TenguBlade #58 Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:24 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostHiroe, on 26 April 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

The ideas behind the words are vulgar, excessive, and disgusting and they have no place in normal conversation.

Unless people, on a regular basis, piss you off to the same degree and you don't react like that in person, you're in no position to say so.  If you can say that, congratulations, but not everybody can and you shouldn't expect it.

View PostApaosha, on 26 April 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

Laughing about how people think rude language is okay, as you use an acronym with such language in it?  Oh the hypocrisy...

Edited by TenguBlade, 26 April 2017 - 10:28 PM.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

Goodwood_Alpha #59 Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostHiroe, on 26 April 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

It's always interesting to see people act as though they prefer vulgar, excessive, and low class behavior.

Speaking for myself, I quite prefer a more casual and laid-back, even raucous environment to hang around in—warts and all—to a more uptight, measured and "proper" place. If that's your bag, then good for you, just don't try to convince us lower folk that this is the goal to shoot for.

"You have enemies? Good, that means that you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." —Winston Churchill

Thoughts on World of WarshipsNo Bull is now recruiting!

Hiroe #60 Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:26 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostTenguBlade, on 26 April 2017 - 06:24 PM, said:

Unless people, on a regular basis, piss you off to the same degree and you don't react like that, you're in no position to say so.

The problem with your point is that these people are getting so angry because other people aren't playing the way they want them to play.

Edited by Hiroe, 26 April 2017 - 10:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users