Foul language in chat - seems to be getting worse

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
129 replies to this topic

Veasel #121 Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:08 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostHiroe, on 27 April 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

If it's not it's because the meanings of the words have been forgotten. Not literally, but the ideas behind the words have ceased to reach the mind. That doesn't change the fact that the ideas behind the words are indecent (at best).

I disagree, we know perfectly well what we're saying, we just don't consider it indecent.

There is no party like a Communist party!!

Herr_Reitz #122 Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:08 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

I suspect the best solution would be to provide an active, preemptive filter. If you prefer to be shall we say, "salty" then you could have a little flag you could check mark to indicate you are a salty chatter. 

Those who did not want to see salty language would enable the Salt Mine filter - which would prevent them from seeing any salt at all. 

Of course if you went salty without indicating you were  salty, there'd be penalties on top of that... see? <grin>

So what you end up with is WoT filter system - no cross team chat and punishments galore to where nobody speaks in chat anymore. 

I can just imagine vocal chat channels in a random game... phew

I worked IT for 15 to 20 years... using the F* word or others in that category would have resulted in an immediate dismissal. But I worked with middle and upper management on their financial systems. It might be okay for upper management to let one slip in private behind closed doors but god help you if you said anything anywhere others could hear it. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz, 27 April 2017 - 12:13 AM.

MaliceA4Thought #123 Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:12 AM

Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester

View PostChobittsu, on 26 April 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

Nothing would ever get done then. Plus I don't see you or Hiroe changing to benefit me, so once again, the logic is folded over, and we being a constant loop

why do you assume I need to change anything?  Are you assuming what side I am on in this debate?  Do you know me..  no  so shut the [edited]up!

M

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, whilst defeated warriors go to war and then seek to win
(Sun Tzu)

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "My Country" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Chobittsu #124 Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:16 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostHerr_Reitz, on 26 April 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

So what you end up with is WoT filter system - no cross team chat and punishments galore to where nobody speaks in chat anymore. 

I can just imagine vocal chat channels in a random game... phew

This is why the issue needs to be dealt with. As it stands, WoWS for the most part is a very strong community compared to WoT. Out of 10 battles, you might get one with someone worth blocking or ignoring, the rest of the time you'll find generally friendly banter, chatting and overall regular gameplay.
Think of it like this: If the rotten apples continue to stew, you'll lose the whole batch to mold and disease. It's better in the long run to ditch the rotten apples, then you won't spoil the delicious pie.

View PostMaliceA4Thought, on 26 April 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

why do you assume I need to change anything?  Are you assuming what side I am on in this debate?  Do you know me..  no  so shut the [edited]up!

Amazing that I have to use this again so soon

CorgiFleet_33 - Dec 18, 2016    -    Corgi_Fleet_71 - Feb 17, 2017

Hiroe #125 Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:18 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostVeasel, on 26 April 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

I disagree, we know perfectly well what we're saying, we just don't consider it indecent.

Well, in my experience, people normally curse to seem "tough" or irreverent. It's a shame they can't do that with better words. It's also a shame that so few people have any meaningful standards.

<a href='http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png</a>

"A person hears only what he understands." - Goethe

Chobittsu #126 Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:25 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostHiroe, on 26 April 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

Well, in my experience, people normally curse to seem "tough" or irreverent. It's a shame they can't do that with better words. It's also a shame that so few people have any meaningful standards.

Lemme count the times you used it in that one chat...
25 time, wow you must be such a manly man tough guy~<3

And folks have plenty of standards, such as the ones upheld by this forum and company.
The best way to go about it is to consider the rules on this forum as the absolute floor, then the only way you can go is up

Hiroe #127 Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:30 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostChobittsu, on 26 April 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

Lemme count the times you used it in that one chat...
25 time, wow you must be such a manly man tough guy~<3

And folks have plenty of standards, such as the ones upheld by this forum and company.
The best way to go about it is to consider the rules on this forum as the absolute floor, then the only way you can go is up

I make an effort to show my "manly" side when I'm punishing someone who needs to be punished.

The rules here are broken all the time. They're broken as much as they can be broken (while avoiding a ban) by some. You've broken them lots of times in conversations with me. You don't seem to care about them at all.

<a href='http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png</a>

"A person hears only what he understands." - Goethe

MrDeaf #128 Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:37 AM

Admiral

• Members

I thought this [edited]game came with a filter, enabled by default too?

Subscribe to this Thread or Youtube for the latest videos.

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship

Chobittsu #129 Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:40 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostHiroe, on 26 April 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

I make an effort to show my "manly" side when I'm punishing someone who needs to be punished.

Then you show your childish side, as punishment should handled by those in places of authority, not vigilantes 

TenguBlade #130 Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostPicknChew, on 26 April 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

Pointing out mistakes and writing "ffs, wth, noob..." is one thing, but Insulting people is another matter altogether.

And the online "leverage" is a very amusing concept.

There is no excuse for insults, racism, homophobic talks....

Please, even I have a line that I don't cross.  Homophobia, racism, and anything not pertaining to the quality (or lack thereof) of the person I'm addressing are all on the other side of it.  Being bluntly offensive is one thing, being randomly and offhandedly offensive for the sake of being offensive is another.

Edited by TenguBlade, 27 April 2017 - 12:42 AM.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users