Bad Stats does not Mean a Bad Player: Having Fun in WoWs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

evilleMonkeigh #1 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:05 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Many players fixate on "stats."  Win rate, damage per game, etc etc.

This hefty guide distills much forum wisdom from more enlightened players who have thrown off the tyranny of stats; it explains why stats are unreliable and do not matter; and how to be an independent thinker who plays for fun.  Free yourself from the oppression of stats and stand up to elitist players who only play "the Wargaming way."

Good Players can have Bad Stats; Having Fun > Winning

Play for fun.  Do not play for victory. Winning is not fun - it is an illusion.

First of all: You can be a good player despite a 42% win rate: it is meaningless, due to RNG, MM and team mates.   It is OK to do half the average damage in a ship - you are contributing in other ways.

Do not listen to advice from stat padders.  Play it your way.  Have your own fun - don't be a sheep -  (or a lemming) - fighting solo is honourable. Ignore the odds.  Anyone who will not follow you onto a cap is a coward.  Feel free to explore the islands at the back of the map - it's only a game, after all! Don't let anyone stop you from having fun.

Likewise, don't be a sheep with modules and loadouts - think how many players do not put Survivability Expert on their BB - they do not understand basic math - more HP > less HP. They just follow "the meta" blindly parroting what some Youtuber says. Unconventional builds show you are a independent thinker.

Don't let other players dictate what you play.  Stat worshippers often "look down" on Co-Op mode, but this is valuable for learning your ship and gives you a more balanced understanding of how it performs outside of the stat padding meta of PvP.  For example, it is often best to grind to your BB line to Tier 8+ before playing in PvP so you have a better understanding of the game mechanics and you are not stuck with the erratic guns of low tier BB.

Stats are unreliable

Trust your feelings.  Your gut feeling is more reliable than stats which are easily padded and manipulated.  Remember - truth is relative - what is true for someone else is not necessarily true for you.  Grinding up to tier 10 makes your personal feelings far more reliable than any stats, especially those that include lower tiers where the lesser players dwell.

Stats are unreliable.  Most player stats are hidden, rendering the rest useless.   Also, WG's RNG is wonky.  The chance of 6 losses in a row is less than 1% - but you know this happens to you all the time!

Stats are not a good indicator of how good a player you are. They only record easily manipulated data like record damage dealt, survivability, and victories.  They tell nothing about your gameplay, just the MM, teams and RNG you were cursed with.

The Unholy Trinity
You will learn that RNGesus is a cruel and powerful diety. He is the prime reason you are denied damage and wins.   You can do nothing without his blessing. Unless you play well - sometimes your skill can rise above the RNG. Anytime you detonate an enemy ship with a skillful shot, celebrate RNGesus by typing "lol pwned" in All Chat. 

Matchmaker.  This always shuffles you onto the worst teams.  It is only possible to play well if your team mates allow you.  It is no coincidence that when you die in the first minute, your team usually loses, and when you last to the end and pull 150K+ your team usually wins.   It is your team that limits your success.

Premium Time and Premium ships actually affect the Win rate due to back end computations done by the MM.  If you have both, often the loss is because the other team had certain clans/players WG favours.

Potato Team mates are the third member of the Unholy Trinity.  Most are nowhere near your skill.  Those who score better than you are usually stat-padding  cowards who did not contribute to the team as meaningfully as you did.  Remember: there is no way a single person can influence a game - you're just 1 ship of 12!

Remember, you are unique.  No one rule works for everyone.  Elements beyond our control - RNG, MM, and team mates - do not affect everyone equally. Claiming otherwise (everyone is afflicted with similar issues) is an over generalisation and does not take into account individual circumstances.

The game has been rigged by the Unholy Trinity before it starts - so why not sit back and enjoy it!

Dealing with Stat Worshippers

By hiding your stats you can make the stats of millions of other games played inaccurate and useless. When my stats were hidden I automatically became a better player.  People will know if you hide your stats you have ascended to a plane "beyond stats"

Remember stats worshippers are usually elitist jerks who like personal attacks. They attack using ad hominems without reason - to troll.  They want to maintain the status quo which is biased in their favour.  They play the "WG way" exploiting game mechanics and OP ships, platooning with similar players to inflate their win rates. They never have fun and spend all their time maintaining their stats and attacking other players on the forums.

Many stat worshippers are hackers.  This is how they pull off [edited]shots from long range or hit you when you are hidden in smoke.  They do this to inflate their e-peen because they are often sad anime fans who live with their parents. 

The Forums and You

Your opinion is equally valid as any other player.  Any time a player refers to your stats to dispute your tactics/loadouts on the forums, he is trolling and making a personal attack.  His 70% win rate does not mean he knows more about the game mechanics.   In fact your opinion is MORE valid as you probably represent the average player who is having fun.

You must post any good games on the forums as this will help others understand your overall stats (which may look poor) are meaningless.  Celebrate your success!  This also helps us find trolls.  Report any who make negative comments.

Make sure you post up any losing streaks, or lopsided losses, so everyone knows how borked the MM is.  Without our complaints WG will never make changes and you will continually end up on bad teams.   Whilst only noob 12 year olds care about win rate, it's just hard to have fun when your teams are constantly bad. 

Furthermore, it is important to often start topics explaining why stats are unimportant to you. Constantly posting on threads with stat references will help other players see the light and everyone will truly know how little your low stats bother you.  If a player asks for help, tell them relax and ignore the stats and just have fun. 

You'll have made WoWs a better place.

Madwolf05 #2 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:09 AM

Commander

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

If you don't want to win, I don't want you on my team. I downloaded a game that is designed for the player to defeat opponents and meet objectives. If you want to spoil the fun of those playing the game as designed you should have your account perma-banned with no refund.

Check out my Twitch Channel: HERE

CPU: Intel i7 3770K, MB: ASUS Maximus V, RAM: 16GB, GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900

1nv4d3rZ1m #3 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:09 AM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

Also: 

Block Quote

Make sure you post up any losing streaks, or lopsided losses, so everyone knows how borked the MM is.  Without our complaints WG will never make changes and you will continually end up on bad teams.   Whilst only noob 12 year olds care about win rate, it's just hard to have fun when your teams are constantly bad. 

Why bother if you are not playing for wins? 

Edited by 1nv4d3rZ1m, 26 April 2017 - 04:10 AM.

GhostSwordsman #4 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:12 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Just to be safe

warships.today stats(direct link)     Wargaming.net WoWs profile overview

~You are an ocean of waves, weaving a dream, Like thoughts become a river stream, Yet may the tide ever change, flowing like time, To the path, -yours to claim~Thou seek the dark with an unsheathed blade, Now a white, ivory throne beckons, So obtain the fate you sow, On this path, be weary, friend and foe~ - "Lost in Thoughts All Alone" English Cover - by Amalee

Soshi_Sone, on 26 April 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Literally speaking, one can only run into Lert if one is not alert.
Ultimate BBQQ Recipe: 1 BB(the bigger, the juicier), 2 or more Cruisers and/or Destroyers, HE spam(apply generously), no salt required. Smoking your BBQQ is optional, but it adds lots of extra flavor.  Melt for 3-10 minutes and enjoy! Serve with fish for an even more exotic taste!

Fog_Battleship_NCarolina #5 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:12 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

99% of the time bad stats do mean a bad player in general. No, RNG does not control your game. Being average means you probably don't understand the core mechanics of the game.  Making a negative comment about a game doesn't make you a troll. If you are a good enough player, potato teams aren't the problem, you get down to the core issue and improve yourself to make sure you don't lose as often.  

I have no issue with players being bad, or average, or better than me. We all play to have fun but you spouting [edited]saying people with 42% WRs are good players. No, those are bots.

PC Specs- Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, i7 6700k @ 4.7ghz, 16gb 2400mhz GSkills Ripjaw Ram, Asus Z170 E, EVGA 650W Power supply, Corsair Carbide 400C, 240gb Hyper X ssd, 2 1TB WD Blacks, HBT artica 240 AOI

RivertheRoyal #6 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:15 AM

Captain

• Members

Well, I never knew until now that my hard-won stats were the product of RNG, MM, and stat padding. Something new every day, right? 

In all seriousness now—very few people care about other's stats. It's just that the ones who do are rather loud.

No, stats only really matter to the person who owns them. 

However, stats are very indicative of a person's average level of play.

To claim otherwise is to spit in the face of 2000 years of statistics and reasonable thoughts. 

And, it's always possible to better your own gameplay. Don't think that MM and RNG is specifically holding you back. Don't give up, just thinking that other's are only better by chance. 

Hint: They aren't. Most people got better at the game through hard work and experiances. Talk to any deep purple unicum—I can guarantee you they didn't always have those stats. They had to work for them, same as anyone else. And I can tell you that they also have the same MM and RNG as anyone else.

Edit: If this is a troll post, FU OP. You know people are going to take this seriously, without any sort of tag or warning denoting it as such. Hell, I can already see it being quoted as a canonical source by people who like blaming other's for their own skill deficits.  

Double Edit Wombo-Combo: Well, f*** me silly. It is a troll post. Goddammit. 

Please, put up a tag or something, so that people can point and say "There, you shouldn't take this seriously." 

Edited by RivertheRoyal, 26 April 2017 - 04:29 AM.

Shadeylark #7 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

I'll just say this.  It may be fun to lose if it's a good match, but it's more fun to win a good match.

The folks who say that's it's the journey not the destination are missing that purpose is just as integral to enjoyment as anything else.

Its both the journey and the destination that makes doing something worthwhile.

admiral_noone #8 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:21 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I would like to play for fun without a care about stats, but first, I want the ships I like, which are the advanced World War II and beyond designs and ships such as Yamato, Montana, HIV, and Zao, which all happen to be very high tier (some outliers such as Cleveland and Kongo(u)). So until then, I have to grind away, and I must make every one of my battles count. 

T10 ship aesthetics polls:

DDs

BBs

CA/CLs

mohawkdriver #9 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:22 AM

Commander

• Members

Wall of text hurts mine eyes...

m373x #10 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:35 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

If you are about to troll with a wall of text try not to make it so blatantly obvious in the very second sentence. 

nhf #11 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:37 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostMadwolf05, on 26 April 2017 - 04:09 AM, said:

If you don't want to win, I don't want you on my team. I downloaded a game that is designed for the player to defeat opponents and meet objectives. If you want to spoil the fun of those playing the game as designed you should have your account perma-banned with no refund.

IMO stay in co-op if you don't play to win.

Kombat_W0MBAT #12 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:41 AM

Commander

• Members

This is the most elaborate (and LONGEST) troll post I've ever seen. 

BrushWolf #13 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:42 AM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

I understand what you are trying to say but if you are not trying to win like Madwolf I don't want you on my team. Now a really well played loss can still be a good match.

Ich lasse mir doch nicht mein Schiff unter dem Arsch wegschießen. Feuererlaubnis! (I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!) Ernst Lindemann Captain KMS Bismarck

HMCS_Devilfish #14 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:52 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I play to win, I periodically go into each ships moduals to see if I might what to change them a tad, I also do not care about my stats and do not know what they are for each ship
Am a consummate team player to a fault but thats me, enjoy the game a lot ... fun

db4100 #15 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:57 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

the weekend is where I hit those long losing streaks.  A couple weekends ago I suffered  9 in a row losses, and eventually I started to get some wins.  Avoid the weekends unless you want to be king potato on a losing team.  I need to play with my clan more often as I like to win.  Get more credits and xp when you win.

I took a big hit with my win rate last weekend trying to figure out how to play the new French cruisers.....it was still fun, but winning more would have lessened the grind.

Edited by db4100, 26 April 2017 - 05:11 AM.

Wo_9 #16 Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:01 AM

Captain

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

The stats i have are from playing a lot, and trying my best and constantly improving myself.   

There is really no other way to get better stats.     

IMO to really know how experienced you are requires consistent solo queue performance. 

Missouri, Get!

TY Rolkasa for the Sig     

Shadow_1964 #17 Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:04 AM

Ensign

• Members

Sorry, but- :popcorn:

ObviousAlt #18 Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:12 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostMadwolf05, on 26 April 2017 - 04:09 AM, said:

Maybe you should be complaining to WOWS instead?

If WG cared about hardcore players, they'd have an actual competitive team mode...Why don't they? :hmm:

WG attempted to recreate WOT on water, and failed to understand the differences, or the players they would attract. 

WOWS Random mode is a team game, with drivers that directly hurt team play. Grinding is a major part of the game, and individual effort rewards players more than team play does, because most players will never be able to carry a game,

You can complain about players like this all you want, but it's free to play game, and this is the kind of player it attracted.

These players don't care what you want or expect from this game, so you should either learn to deal with it, or start asking WG why they haven't supplied a mode that would actually reward you for playing as a team? :unsure:

Edited by ObviousAlt, 26 April 2017 - 05:13 AM.

yashma #19 Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:15 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostKombat_W0MBAT, on 25 April 2017 - 09:41 PM, said:

This is the most elaborate (and LONGEST) troll post I've ever seen. 

aye

bad_arcade_kitty #20 Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

Captain

• Members

playing for stats =/= playing for win though

firstly there are other stats except winrate, and chasing something like kill ratio can even hurt you winrate badly (if you don't know - the best way to increase it it's not to kill more, no, it's to die less, because with a high kill ratio every death puts your back a ton, i.e. to play very passively, with survivability rate it's even worse.. some people may achieve 90+% for hundred of games, in such a case dying in 1 game sets you back by about 10 games)

secondly playing for stats can mean stat padding i.e. taking measures to reduce the competition by either being carried by a strong division or by using p2w or broken ships exclusively or by playing low tiers only (i recall one forum user with 400+ games in umikaze whom i met when i began to play wows) etc

be kind to torpedo girls - scratching, pouncing, butt wiggling, tsundere kittens of the fleet!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users