Duguay-Trouin Fan Club

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

vonluckner #21 Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Alpha Tester

Almost certainly has a broken damage model.

The only time I've been able to citadel one with a BB was near 14km. Otherwise you are far better off just shooting HE since 90% of your shots will be overpens for 1-2k per salvo.

Absurdly strong considering how good the damage output is.

vonKaiser #22 Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View Postvonluckner, on 30 April 2017 - 04:30 AM, said:

Almost certainly has a broken damage model.

The only time I've been able to citadel one with a BB was near 14km. Otherwise you are far better off just shooting HE since 90% of your shots will be overpens for 1-2k per salvo.

Absurdly strong considering how good the damage output is.

Well that's because the thing has a serious lack of armor.  Unless you hit it JUST right those shells are going through it like a hot knife through butter

For the love of god Wargaming, please remove the atrocious Citadel hit noise

Sincerely, a Tinnitus sufferer. (Edit 7/7/16 - Thank you soooooo much for the change Wargaming)

Random Gaming Moments, Ship Reviews and gameplay breakdown by yours truly: https://www.youtube.com/c/vonkaiser

vonluckner #23 Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:34 AM

• Alpha Tester

View PostvonKaiser, on 30 April 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

Well that's because the thing has a serious lack of armor.  Unless you hit it JUST right those shells are going through it like a hot knife through butter

I don't think it's that simple. After watching a couple of my replays, it seems to take a high proportion of zero-damage pens.

If the damage model is working as intended, then I would expect it to get nerfed considering its guns seem to be best in tier (or nearly).

Phoenix_jz #24 Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

I took mine out for its second game last night. It was going pretty well, even if it was down to two CLs holding a flank vs two BBs and two CLs (all involved were tier IV)...

And then I got detonated.

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

​Most recent addition: USN Cruiser Split

ReddNekk #25 Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

Ensign

• Members

The Duggy's a good ship but I didn't keep her since I already have 2 excellent tier IV Cruisers, Yubari and Phoenix. (I consider Phoenix to be the best tier IV Cruiser)

I've played the French line up to La Galissionare,which I'm far from impressed with, and I like the Emile Bertin the most.

Hold my beer and watch this!

Palladia #26 Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

She's an odd ship but I am enjoying her.  Her speed makes being out of position fairly forgiving and that paper thin armor works in your favor more often then not.  I do understand the inconsistencies with her armor,  though.  While using mine I hit another with six shots from a salvo.  Six hits,  two broken modules,  no damage.

Sventex #27 Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:53 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostFox_Cruiser_Marseillaise, on 26 April 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

Just wanted to post a really, really nice game I had today. This is NOT my high-damage game, that would be yesterday. I managed 102k damage dealt in a loss that was very hard to swallow. this game was a similar story with a better outcome. We ended up being down 4-8 ships. I got the last 5 kills in a row to carry the match to a win. 7 of the 9 citadels were in a single volley against a broadside Phoenix. This is my fifth ship with a 7-kill game.

Spoiler

Congrats!  I had a very similar game, which required me to carry the team, resulting in 7 kills.  It feels so nice to have turrets.

End of Round stats

Edited by Sventex, 03 May 2017 - 05:55 AM.

"The world is not beautiful; and that, in a way, lends it a sort of beauty."

Spooooooooooooooooooooon #28 Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

• Beta Testers

View PostReddNekk, on 01 May 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

The Duggy's a good ship but I didn't keep her since I already have 2 excellent tier IV Cruisers, Yubari and Phoenix. (I consider Phoenix to be the best tier IV Cruiser)

I've played the French line up to La Galissionare,which I'm far from impressed with, and I like the Emile Bertin the most.

I'm enjoying Emile Bertin a lot as well, though I just got her.  So fast

lewellenfawr #29 Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Any thoughts on Captain Skills?

So far fro me t1... PT; t2... EM; t3... DE.

They make a big difference. I'm undecided about tier 4 or should I spec some lower tier skills like adrenaline rush of double catapult fighter.

Malicar #30 Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Seaman

• Members

I really like this ship and will be keeping it in my collection.

Dartinbullets #31 Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

I enjoy the Duguay and am liking it more but the Friant ruled the seas and would take down the BB as easily as the destroyer but only tier III made all that easier.  Still it was so much fun.  The Duguay is getting there, just can't be as aggressive.

HazeGrayUnderway #32 Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:18 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

Very solid Tier IV Cruiser.  Unlike Friant, you don't even need a high points captain to bring out her full potential.  Even with 3 points, give her:

Preventive Maintenance - French Cruiser rudders like to get knocked out, this lessens the chance

Expert Marksman - Help with the sluggish turret traverse

Slot Steering Gears Mod 1 to lessen the likeliness of the rudder getting KO'd.

And you got yourself a low tier Cruiser that doesn't take much to get her playing well.

AdkBill #33 Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:22 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I have to admit I'm struggling with the D-T.  I just can't seem to find the right play style. If I hang back, I can do some modest plinking and start a fire or two with HE, but I don't feel like I'm contributing a whole lot to the team effort--if I push forward, I'm dead meat as soon as I fire at anything and get detected.  The torps are great but it's almost impossible to get into position to use them without being spotted and focused down--I do, however, really appreciate the really wide launch angles when I have no choice left but to YOLO somebody.

I'd be interested to hear how those of you who actually know what you're doing (i.e. most of you and definitely not myself) play this ship.

JFMUO #34 Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:56 AM

Seaman

• Members

The first reason I enjoy the Duguay-Trouin is that I consider myself something of a Malouin by adoption, having gone to school in St. Malo...a very favorite place. Now why is that important?  Rene Duguay-Trouin is perhaps St. Malo's most son, along with that other great Malouin corsair, Robert Surcouf. His statue sits in prominence on the wall of the city, facing La Manche.  Duguay-Trouin's reputation and importance in the history of the French Navy is such that 10 warships have been named for him. Captured by the British in 1694 while successfully covering the escape of a convoy, Duguay-Trouin after his escape became one French naval commander who consistently defeated the Royal Navy.  So having said that, fighting and winning in the Duguay-Trouin is a point of personal honor...and I really cringe when things go pear shape.  I do wish WoW would have the St. Malo flag with the Duguay-Trouin, as he himself would have flown in his corsair days.  (Its unique in itself and quite a history, including a refusal by the city to fly the Tricoleur above it for a Pres. Charles De Gaulle visit in 1968.)

LA_Kid #35 Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:15 AM

Seaman

• Members

I have enjoyed all ofthe French Cruisers...Everyone has been a blast! They are my best money makers excluding my premium Arizona.

Phoenix_jz #36 Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

A word on EM - if you're planning on taking the captain down the line, hold off on EM. Pick it up only once you're at the tier VII, Algérie. The tier V and VI haven't got much need for it, so it's a little like putting EM on American DD. AR is probably a better investment to start with.

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

​Most recent addition: USN Cruiser Split

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users