When will World of Warships get Submarines?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

ObviousAlt #21 Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Just how lazy are people, that they have to post this drivel, when the responses on the subject probably cover several hundred pages....:hmm:

SeaKnight_1990 #22 Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I know I can't add polls as comments to existing posts, but I really want to make one on whether or not we should keep beating a dead horse (i.e. submarines in WoWs.)

dark.png

Kevsteak1 #23 Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

I wonder if people assume that since their main armament is torpedoes, that they would be quick and nimble comparable to destroyers? Also don't they realize all the counters against destroyers in game (sonar, radar, aircraft) would also hinder submarine play? Not to mention the addition of depth charges and possibly anti submarine aircraft if this where to be considered? 

MidnightShamalan #24 Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

OP, you've been around for a while. which means you should have been around during april fools, when WG added a sub to the port as a joke. that should put this into clear perspective as to how they see submarines in their game. (they don't)

SinisterSe7en #25 Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostGnat111, on 22 April 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

I think this game will go from Good to Great if they can find a way to bring Submarines into the fight. Maybe have a the subs remain on the surface ( where they are vulnerable) then have the ability to dive for a short period of time to fire their torpedoes. The set up could be similar to the aircraft carrier mode. then the Surface ships can counter with the addition of depth charges. Thoughts?

Subs are more boring than you think - and one round into the pressure hull or one depth charge salvo and you should be dead or unable to submerge. They'd be the best scouts though, and if they snuck past the line, they'd probably only be able to threaten carriers or battleships..

but they'd need to add sonar, depth charge dispensers/k-mortars to ships, and an entire underwater layer where the subs could operate.

I don't think including another ship class is going to add the spice you're looking for, unfortunately.

Having played games where subs are a thing, they can really only manage a couple kills, maybe one or two more if they have reverse facing torpedo dispensers and some idiot charges at you then stops paying attention and munches a torpedo. The other thing they do is bait kill hungry destroyers and cruisers to come depth charge them, and you pray for your heavy cruisers and battleships to delete them before they delete you. We have no supply ships for them to target so there's not much for them to accomplish. Subs work best when their targets have no teeth.

Maybe not having every game mode as a variant of last team standing would shake things up for example.

Till then, camp to win my friend. camp to win. The team that out-camps the other wins.

Murotsu #26 Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

WW 2 era submarines are nothing but intelligent mines when submerged.  That is, they are excruciatingly slow and unless their prey blunders on top of them, they have no means of attacking much of anything.  Surfaced, they are little more than targets for warships.  That's why they submerged when faced with even small surface combatants.

So, if WoW has even the slightest scintilla of intellect, and I'm sure they far exceed that level of intelligence there will never be submarines brought into the game for play.

aethervox #27 Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

Have you been 'squished' enough times yet, Gnat111?

Warden_Wolf #28 Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

The problem is that submarines do not fit within the limits of a 20-minute scenario. Real life submarines of the era could stay submerged for 12 hours or more, or even over a day in an emergency. And depth charge attacks to kill them often lasted for a couple of hours. They simply do not work in fast-paced gameplay, as nothing that happens involving a sub is fast.

AMD FX 8350 8x 4.0GHz

16GB G.Skill DDR3 SDRAM

Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 980

4x 1TB SAS drives in RAID 10 with 256GB SSD for CacheCade, and 1x 146GB SAS drive dedicated to WoWS

Malamute_Kid #29 Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

• Members

You know what, I'm changing my mind.  I'm in.  Subs would add a new and exciting dimension to WOWS.  Since this is an arcade game and not a sim, balancing could have very little to do with reality which would make things so much easier for the devs, they can just do whatever they want.  They could perform exactly like surface ships only different.  Because they are operating underwater for the duration of the match, (it's only 20 minutes after all}, the will only be detectable by destroyers with sonar/asdic/hydrophones.  This would be a consumable that the dd would have to choose over say smoke or speed. 

Of course the new role   of DD's as sub hunters would, of necessity, require that adjustments to their on longer being the "hard counter" to BB's and place that job where it belongs, other BB's and CV's and, of course, the newly minted sub class.  But dd's could still have fun skulking around playing hide and seek with cruisers as they tried to track down those pesky subs.  Torpedo armament would have to be severely curtailed though.  Can't have two classes spamming torps at everything in sight so DD's, while adding hedge hogs and depth charges to their armament, would have to limit their torpedoes to say, 5 minute reload, (which is still rather generous according to historical standards).  In order to make the fully effective against subs though, dd's would have to be given an improvement in rudder shift time, acceleration/deceleration and turning radius and concealment.

This is of course a mere sketch of how this would work.  I'm sure there will be some bugs that need to be sorted out, but hey, with the dev team and the play-testing community it should be an easy enough thing to do.

Edited by Malamute_Kid, 23 April 2017 - 06:30 PM.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson

db4100 #30 Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:01 AM

• Members

Another noob asking for submarines.  His first post even.

Acts #31 Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

You want Subs, go play Silent Service. It was a 80s sub game on Atari where you commanded the Sub, and the computer was the convoys. Not sure how that would apply in World of Warships :-O !! 

jagdoc #32 Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

• Members

I do not understand why anybody would want a sub.  Max speed submerged was 3-4 knots until the batteries quit then they had to surface for at least 6-8 hours to recharge batteries.  We already have DD's that fire torps while invisible so think of those torps coming from a sub because they appear out of nowhere often too close to maneuver out of the way.

WG screen all posts for subs and delete them before they get posted.

RiverTheIdiot #33 Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

First of all even if submarines where added it wouldnt effect MM that much because WG made it so everything is more fast paced such as firing distances being shorter, small maps etc etc. 

Now think of this a submarine IRL in WW2 (please correct me) would be able to dive under water for roughly 40 minutes right? So make that 3 minutes of being deep for high teir subs meanwhile the subs built in like the 1910-1920's make so only dive from 1-2 minutes for low tier gameplay.

ALSO note this subs are very slow under water so if the enemy was capping base from 4km the sub will probably never make it because its just painfully slow underwater however some german uboats went at 18knts when surfaced i belive which would be more vunerable to shells from pretty much anything from a 9mm handgun and up.... i also found it ironic that a lot of people said how subs would sleath fire everywhere.... HOW? If your past 6km away the torps would rarely hit you and i also hear how people saying battleships would be completely defenceless against subs... thats not true make all ships have a passive sonar that will locate any subs from 6-7km away "but will not locate other ships for well reasons.."  and also make that bb/dd/cl/ca/BC/torpedo bombers/dive bombs would be able to injure submarines at periscope depth and surfaced since last time i checked a 16" or 18" shell makes a big splash and would probably damage the subs hull over time. 

Another thing i thought of is have it so for subs to see enemy ships/ have status of scoreboard/see teamates/ death log they would need to be on surface or atperiscope death and not 50 feet under the water... 

RiverTheIdiot #34 Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:52 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Also submarines would just be one of those things for geeks like me who want to mess around with warshipss from coldwar/ ww2/ww1

And not actually be useful in anyway

Edited by RiverTheIdiot, 28 April 2017 - 04:52 PM.

commodore_torakula #35 Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

this idea goes over like Keith Moon's famous remark about the New Yardbirds. ... ... ... reliably, every time. ... ... ... I'd like to see night-time battles, but when I posted a forum on that, all I could hear afterwards were cicadas and crickets. ... ... ... ...it won't happen...face it.
cya!.... ... --- ... .....!

BubaSmith #36 Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:05 AM

• Beta Testers

Nuclear or diese/electric subs ;o)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users