Mogam is Back to Being the Strongest "CL"

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Hunter_Steel #1 Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

Commander

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Yes, she's strong again. The 155s were buffed, and finally the 203s can now take a backseat as I get to enjoy cit-penning Light Cruisers (British and Russian ones) and destroy DDs with my HE once more.

I know I have terrible stats in Mogami, but I have a bit of experience now than when I first played her, and the damage numbers are gonna roll in as I finally get IFHE as well. And no longer shall Kutuzuc's laugh in my face as my 203 AP over-pens their citadels and my slow 15s reload time means I have to take a backseat when fighting them. Be warned Kutuzovs, I shall be hunting you now :izmena:

No longer do I have to worry about a DD escaping from me, no longer will I have to run scared the face of a BB with a 26s reload time. Now they HE shall rain and the hurt shall commence :3

Okay okay, now that that is over, yes, I am happy my Mogami's 155mm guns got buffed.

Does that mean she's the strongest again? No, there are still superior CL/CA such as the Edinburgh and Atago. She's just, no longer painful to use. And her pure shell volume is what made her good in the first place. Now I can go back to the days of hitting 100+ shells per battle with relative ease.

And to commemorate this, here's the first battle I had since her buff:

I just love those shell numbers, although I wish my damage numbers could've gone up a bit more, but well, my team was on the passive side of things when it came to epicenter.

Anyone else also happy and enjoying the 155s again?

~Hunter

Edited by Hunter_Steel, 21 April 2017 - 10:25 AM.

Signature Made by Abyssal_Flagship

Forum's General Fusou Hater

Ships: Battleships: Izumo, Nagato, Scharnhorst, Bayern, ARP Kirishima, ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, ARP Kongou and, Arkansas Beta. Cruisers:, ARP Haguro, ARP Myoukou, ARP Ashigara, Emerald.

Destroyers: Kagerou, Minsk, Hatsuharu, Kamikaze R, T-22.

Sethanas #2 Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostHunter_Steel, on 21 April 2017 - 05:24 AM, said:

Anyone else also happy and enjoying the 155s again?

I didn't have any problems with them before the patch tbh, plan ahead, make sure the reds will be on one side of you, shell them to death.

More forgiving now perhaps, but truly better? meh.

Hunter_Steel #3 Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

Commander

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostSethanas, on 21 April 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

I didn't have any problems with them before the patch tbh, plan ahead, make sure the reds will be on one side of you, shell them to death.

More forgiving now perhaps, but truly better? meh.

It's better than glacial turrets as you can now invest in accuracy and knife-fight as Mogami's original glory (IMO) was from Knife-fighting like a pro. Although her undeserved Glory was from the AFT and BFT that used to affect her before those nerfs.

~Hunter

Ships: Battleships: Izumo, Nagato, Scharnhorst, Bayern, ARP Kirishima, ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, ARP Kongou and, Arkansas Beta. Cruisers:, ARP Haguro, ARP Myoukou, ARP Ashigara, Emerald.

silverdahc #4 Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Yeah I haven't played my mogami for a year-and-a-half now, since they nerfed it may have to try it once again

"It is very hard to swim up hill."         

Mark Schlereth

The_first_harbinger #5 Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Mogami is certainly a very strong cruiser now, however, during her absence from her throne as the strongest CL, many others has emerged as worthy successors... Mikhail Kutuzov and Chapayev both possess longer artillery range, improved ballistics, similar volume of fire thanks to the faster reload, and both of them possess potential utility capabilities in forms of Smoke and Radar...

Mogami will emerge superior in situational events, such as a brief window to derp some salvos into an oblivious dd, however, I believe overall MiKu and Chappy fits the current long range HE cancer meta better.

Edited by The_first_harbinger, 21 April 2017 - 11:42 AM.

"May the Meteorblitzkrieg begin!"
Battleship Cult Cardinal

Ships that deserves Admirals' love series

Latest addition: Algérie

Xenomancers #6 Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Mogami is probably still the WORST CL/CA. 

"Nevermind about maneuvers, go straight at 'em" - Lord Nelson

MexicanPanda #7 Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

View PostXenomancers, on 21 April 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

Mogami is probably still the WORST CL/CA. 

Guess that just means she needs to be buffed more and the fantasy russians have to be removed nerfed.... naw, lets stick with removed.=P

DOCTOR_CITADEL #8 Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

The Mogami is definitely not the "strongest CL", despite recent buffs. 

Probably feels better to play, though.

OverPowered Gaming Fleet Admiral / [OPG] Admiral 

For OverPowered Gaming Recruitment & Information (click here)               

OverPowered Gaming's Clan Entrance Requirements (click here)               

OverPowered Gaming's Teamspeak Address: 158.69.112.116: 10026             

The_first_harbinger #9 Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostMexicanPanda, on 21 April 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

fantasy russians 

B-But both Chappy and Miku were actually built, commissioned and saw active service...

"May the Meteorblitzkrieg begin!"
Battleship Cult Cardinal

Ships that deserves Admirals' love series

Latest addition: Algérie

Jim_Byrnes #10 Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Finally! Mogami get some well deserved love! Time to give her a wash n wax and take her out on a spamming expedition!

Living proof you can have a blast while learning what not to do!

IJN Nagato Fuso Kongo Ishizuchi ARP Kirishima ARP Kongo ARP Hiei ARP Nachi ARP Takao  Mogami Atago Myoko Fujin Shiratsuyu Fubuki

USN Atlanta Farragut German BB Tirpitz Sharnhorst Gneisenau Bismarck CA Prinz Eugen  Russian CA Molotov and Blyskawica

Show_Me_Your_Cits #11 Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostThe_first_harbinger, on 21 April 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

B-But both Chappy and Miku were actually built, commissioned and saw active service...

And Kutuzov still exists as a museum ship today. 
Muh 1337 stets. 

MexicanPanda #12 Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

View PostShow_Me_Your_Cits, on 21 April 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

And Kutuzov still exists as a museum ship today. 

A museum of how the russians have some overly big ships in their coast guard?

Jiggiwatt #13 Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I did very well with the Mogami pre-buff with the smaller guns, but then again I'm used to the Warspite. I might just have to re-buy and give her a try...

Xenomancers #14 Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

So if we are talking T8

Kutuzov  is clearly the best. 

Edinburgh is a close second (it's even better in a lot of situations)

I knew that before even looking at warships today. After looking at warships today those 2 above are confirmed and the rest of the t8 CA/CL seem to be about even. Mogami though is an outlier as it's the only ship on the list that is seriously weaker now than when it was when it collected all those stats. I'm really suprized hipper does as bad as it does though - it's guns much have some terrible performance. NO I don't even really consider - It's been the worst ship in the game for basically my entire time playing this game.

Edited by Xenomancers, 21 April 2017 - 01:05 PM.

"Nevermind about maneuvers, go straight at 'em" - Lord Nelson

lemekillmister #15 Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:16 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I have Atago, Edinburgh, Chappy, Kutuzov and Mogami. All of my boats with HE firing 152/155 mm guns have IFHE captains. To me 155 Mogami now feels clearly stronger than all of them except for Kutuzov, where Mogami only feels a little bit stronger. 

Edited by lemekillmister, 23 April 2017 - 06:17 AM.

I'm a spudman, I got eyes all around.

TenguBlade #16 Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:11 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

I've always kept 155 Mogami, and although I haven't played her much recently (mostly due to not having a 14-point captain) she certainly has been fun the few times I've taken her out since the turret traverse buff.  The 2600 HE alpha is no joke: the German 203mm guns have 2300, the American and French 8" guns 2800, and despite being massively larger Moskva's 220mm monsters have only 500 more.  With IFHE her ability to rack up HE damage will be unparalleled at T8 - Kutuzov and Chapayev both put down the same number of shells per minute, just from fewer turrets.  If you aim it well, the guns also do stupid amounts of damage to DDs, on par with how [edited] the Atlanta is at close range.  My only gripe is that the AP is comparatively weak among 6" guns - despite the Soviet 152mm having only 30m/s higher muzzle velocity and their shell weights being comparable, the Mogami's AP is functionally useless for penetrating anything beyond 10km while Soviet 152mm AP can penetrate out to max range.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

Matthaus2 #17 Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:18 AM

Seaman

• Members

Atago and Kutuzov are still here.

Then you have the Belfast and Fiji at Tier 7 after their strong showings in the past ranked season.

Nothing wrong with Mogami. I have 2 jobs and a mortgage. There are just slightly better ships to spend time on.

Edited by Matthaus2, 24 April 2017 - 03:19 AM.

Hunter_Steel #18 Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostTenguBlade, on 24 April 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

I've always kept 155 Mogami, and although I haven't played her much recently (mostly due to not having a 14-point captain) she certainly has been fun the few times I've taken her out since the turret traverse buff.  The 2600 HE alpha is no joke: the German 203mm guns have 2300, the American and French 8" guns 2800, and despite being massively larger Moskva's 220mm monsters have only 500 more.  With IFHE her ability to rack up HE damage will be unparalleled at T8 - Kutuzov and Chapayev both put down the same number of shells per minute, just from fewer turrets.  If you aim it well, the guns also do stupid amounts of damage to DDs, on par with how [edited] the Atlanta is at close range.  My only gripe is that the AP is comparatively weak among 6" guns - despite the Soviet 152mm having only 30m/s higher muzzle velocity and their shell weights being comparable, the Mogami's AP is functionally useless for penetrating anything beyond 10km while Soviet 152mm AP can penetrate out to max range.

Soviet Bias. lol

But yes, Mogami is hilariously powerful. I just hate how her HE breaks on a lot of things, but that's also because of my poor aiming ability.

~Hunter

crzyhawk #19 Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

I still wreck Mogamis with my Winhail Kutuzov and my Prinz Eugen.

Hunter_Steel #20 Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View Postcrzyhawk, on 05 May 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

I still wreck Mogamis with my Winhail Kutuzov and my Prinz Eugen.

But do you wreck them in your Mogami?

~Hunter

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users