Unpopular Opinion: Colorado is a strong ship

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Raptor_alcor #21 Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:15 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View Postscerviche178, on 20 April 2017 - 10:35 PM, said:

Mine is that the Omaha is a amazing ship and my favorite tier 5. I think she might even be the strongest as long as your not a dumpster player. Just sit behind islands all match and farm damage like it's nothing. I have people in game telling me that she's terrible and made of cit's but i'm sitting over here wreaking it almost every match. So easy and yet the average stats on her are terrible. Oh well it just makes it easier for me to bump up my stats then.

For the tier, omaha honestly isn't bad, however that's only for the tier. When it used to be +2/-2 at tier 5 she was good top and mid tier, and (as with now) rather weak when uptiered. 

The happy blue fox. 

crzyhawk #22 Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View Postslak__, on 21 April 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

And that's on the user.

Other t7 battleships don't have the same problem

Xenomancers #23 Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Colorados guns are the best at the tier. Like others have stated - if she keeps her distance she can really lay on the pain.

"Nevermind about maneuvers, go straight at 'em" - Lord Nelson

Kerrec #24 Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

When I ground her out, I hated her speed and squishiness when bottom tier.  In season 6 ranked, I played Fiji exclusively, and I loved to see Colorado's on the enemy team.  I just ate them up, and there was nothing a Colorado could do to counter.

And yes, their guns hit hard.  But to a fragile cruiser, ALL BB guns hit hard.

Extraordinarii #25 Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

• Beta Testers

Very underrated ship, difficult to use than other t7 BBs.

Discipline and organization are bound to triumph over inefficiency, disunion and disorder.

Xenomancers #26 Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostKerrec, on 21 April 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

When I ground her out, I hated her speed and squishiness when bottom tier.  In season 6 ranked, I played Fiji exclusively, and I loved to see Colorado's on the enemy team.  I just ate them up, and there was nothing a Colorado could do to counter.

And yes, their guns hit hard.  But to a fragile cruiser, ALL BB guns hit hard.

Rado can plop a crusier just like any other BB. Rado can plop BB's from almost any angle - thats why you pick her. Scharns just eat 1/5 HP everytime rado shoots at them.

Big_Spud #27 Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostXenomancers, on 21 April 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

Colorados guns are the best at the tier. Like others have stated - if she keeps her distance she can really lay on the pain.

​Incorrect. Nagato has the best performing rifles at tier 7 (the Amagi uses the exact same ones at tier 8). They have the best penetration and muzzle velocity of any 16" rifle before tier 9, and totally outmatch the German 15" rifles as well as Colorado's 16" shotguns.
.- ..- - .. ... - .. -.-. / ... -.-. .-. . . -.-. .... .. -. --.

Kerrec #28 Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

• Members

View PostXenomancers, on 21 April 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Rado can plop a crusier just like any other BB. Rado can plop BB's from almost any angle - thats why you pick her. Scharns just eat 1/5 HP everytime rado shoots at them.

So your point is they can do more damage to BB's?  

But the Colorado gets eaten up by anything that can move faster and/or smoke up.  I've made B-Line sprints towards a Colorado in my Fiji in ranked in order to torp them, and came out alive.  The CO is a one trick pony and everyone knows the trick.  Sure you can kill potatoes or surprise people, but so can all the other BB's in the same circumstances.

I am not impressed or afraid of Colorados when playing with or against them, regardless of what ship I'm using.

S842 #29 Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:13 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I share your good opinion of the Colorado.  Improve your accuracy with the appropriate mod and she can lay the pain on.

Cruiser_Chicago #30 Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Colorado's guns are her one saving grace. Her heal is stronger percentage wise than other BBs but she still technically heals less HP per usage than the Nagato. Every other aspect of the ship has seen better days due to power creep. Armor that gets overmatched by many BBs you expect to face, IFHE spam, and poor top speed puts you at a bit of a disadvantage nowadays. 

Edited by Cruiser_Chicago, 21 April 2017 - 02:15 PM.

Big_Spud #31 Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostS842, on 21 April 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

I share your good opinion of the Colorado.  Improve your accuracy with the appropriate mod and she can lay the pain on.

Colorado doesn't have an accuracy module.

Biocide #32 Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Colorado is "good" because people keep expecting her to be as bad as she was during the Beta days.

Because your expectations are so low, she turns out better than expected, even though better than expected still isn't particularily good.

She's "not terrible". She'll sail, she'll fight, and she'll citadel people showing their sides.

Zaharkan #33 Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:35 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

I enjoyed my time in the Colorado...but I was really glad when I got to move on to the North Carolina. Some ships I keep...the Colorado wasn't significant enough and I sold her.

Cobraclutch #34 Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

Colorado like a lot of USN ships has very strong strengths and very weak weaknesses. 

If you can mitigate the weakness and maximise the strength, she is a a very powerful weapon. 

Hiroe #35 Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

I'm not sure what to make of the Colorado. I only know that I love the Gneisenau.

<a href='http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/yHCutrX.png</a>

"A person hears only what he understands." - Goethe

Soshi_Sone #36 Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

When I first reached the CO, I detested her.  After moving up the BB line I came back to her and now I enjoy playing her.  I do believe she is victim of both power creep as well as a victim of the WOWS universe in general, where slow speed can hurt.  But some of that is part of her aura.   A CO captain has to think ahead and has to have a better grasp of the strategic situation.  Granted, this is true when captaining any BB, but the price one pays for strategic or positioning failure is much higher in the CO than in the IJN and KM line.

I'll take an above average player in a CO over an average player in a Nagato or Scharn/Gneis any day.

Madwolf05 #37 Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

Commander

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View Postslak__, on 21 April 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

And that's on the user.

I don't disagree completely, but this isn't always the case. I never swing out wide with her because I know being close to the center is important to my ability to adapt to changing battlefield. With that said, there are times on larger maps, and some of the newer maps that there are so many obstacles getting in the way that make it hard for her to flex to the next engagement, especially if the enemy piles up on the opposite corner.

Check out my Twitch Channel: HERE

CPU: Intel i7 3770K, MB: ASUS Maximus V, RAM: 16GB, GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900

Xenomancers #38 Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostBig_Spud, on 21 April 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

Colorado doesn't have an accuracy module.

It's forced to take the range module anyways. It's accuracy is acceptable for a sniper. 

Big_Spud #39 Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostXenomancers, on 21 April 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

It's forced to take the range module anyways. It's accuracy is acceptable for a sniper. 

​No, its really not. Dispersion per km is vastly inferior to Nagato, which also fires a shell that's 40 m/s faster than Colorado's, has more penetration at range, and deals more damage. Colorado has no business sniping. Colorado has no business doing anything truth be told.

Hangoverhomey #40 Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostBig_Spud, on 21 April 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

​No, its really not. Dispersion per km is vastly inferior to Nagato, which also fires a shell that's 40 m/s faster than Colorado's, has more penetration at range, and deals more damage. Colorado has no business sniping. Colorado has no business doing anything truth be told.

I think someone else put it pretty well, it's inferior to it's counter parts but can put the hurt on other classes?  So basically it's an inferior choice for a tier 7 battleship.   Also if that slow shell speed leaves it unable to fend off cruisers at longer ranges " it does generally"  It will be quickly spammed to death due to its tin foil armor and being too slow to get away.

It's just a very situational and less than ideal choice versus the others.  I stopped playing it awhile back since it's just an act of futility and exhaustion to squeeze good games out of her, not worth the effort.

Edited by Hangoverhomey, 21 April 2017 - 06:35 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users