British Cruisers and French Cruisers Over-penetration, Investigation and Results

ukcl frca overpenetration bugs feedback french british united kingdom cruisers

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Pigeon_of_War #1 Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

Assistant Producer

• Developers

Hi everyone,

Now, players can often see that the “Over-penetration” ribbon is displayed, when a British cruiser hits a French cruiser (FRCA). That is a surprise for

players, as British AP shells cannot over-penetrate even destroyer armor. You can recall that their fuse arming takes a very little time.

Why that happens?

The thing is that FRCAs have specific design characteristics: a part of torpedo protection is rather high above the waterline, the armor belt on the torpedo bulge (from Tier VI) and a long distance from this belt to the citadel (see the attached screenshot).

If a British armor piercing shell hits the torpedo protection above the waterline, its fuse arms and explodes between the bulge and the citadel. It cannot reach the main armor and cannot deal any damage to the ship.

Displaying the “Over-penetration” ribbon isn’t correct. Correct ribbon should be “Penetration”, but also without dealing damage. We are planning to fix this issue.

Spoiler
Spoiler

(Main Avatar created by xtcmax)

(Signature avatar created by Kombat_W0MBAT)

Follow me on Twitter
Find us on Facebook!

Goose21891 #2 Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

What screenshot?

Battleship_Dunkerque #3 Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 19 April 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

Displaying the “Over-penetration” ribbon isn’t correct. Correct ribbon should be “Penetration”, but also without dealing damage. We are planning to fix this issue.

Not sure that is the best choice - I foresee lots of salt about "How can I have a pen for 0 damage?"  Maybe use the 'under-pen' ribbon or shatter or whatever it is called.  Call it a 'partial penetration'.  Still not sure that's the best way but I think it'd be better than just a 'pen' for no damage.

Macabe #4 Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Supertest Coordinator
  • Members
    Alpha Tester
    In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers
    Supertester

Perhaps a non-critical penetration ribbon is needed? And while we're at it: A MODULE PEN RIBBON(no damage pens are annoying).

Fleet of Fog Commander

Supremacy League Admin and Head Referee

Self-Proclaimed Forum Mascot

Edgecase #5 Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostMacabe, on 19 April 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Perhaps a non-critical penetration ribbon is needed? And while we're at it: A MODULE PEN RIBBON(no damage pens are annoying).

I agree that no damage pens are annoying, but instead question whether they should, in fact, be considered damaging instead (at least for scoring purposes, if not actual HP).

Lert #6 Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

It is my belief that they should be counted as damaging hits.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

TenguBlade #7 Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 19 April 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

Shouldn't it be non-penetration, if only for consistency's sake?  If I pierce the torpedo bulge of an Iowa or Missouri and the shells are stopped by the main belt, currently it shows as non-pen.

IMO the ribbon hit system needs to count everything that does not deal damage, whether it's to modules or to the hull, as a non-pen.  Adding a separate module hit ribbon would be nice, but by hard-coding this condition in, you would bring players to the conclusion that they damaged a module if they get 0 damage but a penetration ribbon.

Edited by TenguBlade, 19 April 2017 - 08:40 PM.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Hatsuharu/Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

mofton #8 Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I've definitely had overpenetrations with Brit CL's before, usually hitting the uppermost and lightest parts of superstructures. 

The whole hit ribbon system is pretty flawed, my first 2 hits with a Warspite last night were 'Overpens' for a total of 6,000 damage or so.

I appreciate you're trying to improve the system but it could do with some other changes.

Also, in game when you hover mouse over the hit ribbon it gives you a breakdown of pens/bounce/shatter/overpen - any chance of applying the same to the aircraft shot down emblem so you can see what types you've downed? 

light.png

Iowanna be a rockstar - Salmon - Ctrl-Click-Schiffe - Le Dunkerque  - Grand Old Lady - ~5 Mil in IJN Scrap

Gearings of Poor - Trashcan - Biscuit-tweaker - Tachi-Ali-Baba - Not-quite-Minekaze - Zit-23 - Shinbone - Your-a-gnome

Worst T9 Ever - AbSchorring - Minotaur

MajorRenegade #9 Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:14 PM

Admiral

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

I least I learn this before I hop back into Wows to play. Thanks for the head up

>Major Collection of Mods<<
   >>Join [ERN] Equestrian Royal Navy Today<<  http://ernavy.enjin.com

mmfullen #10 Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:20 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostLert, on 19 April 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

Possible reduced damage over pen? Like when a torp hits the torpedo protection, it's just reducing the damage. 

[-K-] Kraken

#TeamWater

TL_Warlord_Roff #11 Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Are the ribbons needed?  I think only if your into the book keeping.  As long as the game tracks it honestly (and its all done server side NOT client side) its a bit of a non issue.   If you understand whats going on with the game mechanics.  The over pen no damage, pen no damage on the french cruisers is NOT a surprise to me.. I noted the particularities of their armor lay out on the test server  Saw this one coming!  Dev's told ya they'd be a bit different.  It's that sneaky French non armor armor!  Of course it works the same way as torpedo protection that works... by providing a void where the detonation of a round is just not going to particularly damage anything important..assuming the ships been built with that sort of armoring in mind which the French cruisers are!   Also note on the armor that where you really want to put your rounds right under the turrets if you only want to deal with a single armor layer.

Set your course / the thunder of the guns beckon you onward / A hell of shell shot and fire await / Sailors to their duties attend / deep in their wombs of steel.

Stat Link removed... I like to surprise people...

GhostSwordsman #12 Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View Postmofton, on 19 April 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

I've definitely had overpenetrations with Brit CL's before, usually hitting the uppermost and lightest parts of superstructures. 

The whole hit ribbon system is pretty flawed, my first 2 hits with a Warspite last night were 'Overpens' for a total of 6,000 damage or so.

I appreciate you're trying to improve the system but it could do with some other changes.

Also, in game when you hover mouse over the hit ribbon it gives you a breakdown of pens/bounce/shatter/overpen - any chance of applying the same to the aircraft shot down emblem so you can see what types you've downed? 

That's actually caused by the shell penetrating twice, on two different pieces of armor.

I had something similar happen a while back when I decided to take my Amagi out for a quick spin. Put up the spotter and took a pot shot at an enemy cruiser. Two over-pens for 10k. Consensus was the shells over-penned the outer plating, then penned some kind of internal armor before detonating inside giving a 33%. The damage total added up to 2 over-pens + 2 regular pens.

Here's the thread I started asking about it, as it confused me as to why I did that much damage from just over-pens. http://forum.worldof...__fromsearch__1

warships.today stats    Wargaming.net WoWs profile overview

~You are an ocean of waves, weaving a dream, Like thoughts become a river stream, Yet may the tide ever change, flowing like time, To the path, -yours to claim~Thou seek the dark with an unsheathed blade, Now a white, ivory throne beckons, So obtain the fate you sow, On this path, be weary, friend and foe~ - "Lost in Thoughts All Alone" English Cover - by Amalee

Ultimate BBQQ Recipe: 1 BB(the bigger, the juicier), 2 or more Cruisers and/or Destroyers, HE spam(apply generously), no salt required. Smoking your BBQQ is optional, but it adds lots of extra flavor.  Melt for 3-10 minutes and enjoy! Serve with fish for an even more exotic taste!

Kombat_W0MBAT #13 Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:17 PM

Commander

• Members

I honestly think the torpedo bulge should only be able to "absorb" a certain amount of damage before those overpens/pens start eating into the health of the ship.

Just as an example, each bulge could get 10k HP that is not linked to the ship's total health. Once that 10k is depleted, then that citadel is free game.

It's a thought...

Pugilistic #14 Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostLert, on 19 April 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

​Assuming that you mean even when they produce zero damage on the scoring, subtlety of though won't make you popular lol.

Oh, wait-  it would produce a hit ribbon and count, say, for cap defense, correct?

The Shack was a famous watering hole in Chapel Hill NC across the street from He's Not Here. It was torn down, despite all predictions it would fall down first, about 1990. Preppy Heaven at Blue Heaven.

StuntMan9630 #15 Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:00 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Glad to hear an official response to this. I figured it was intended, but it's still a very interesting mechanic that can look very suspicious (0 Damage HE vs Emile Bertin with 406mm guns was a shocker).

On a separate note though, is this 'spaced-armour' a trait that IRL French Cruisers had? I'm genuinely curious, since this a very different approach to any other design we've seen in-game before (Hence why I tested it out thoroughly).

Scout1 #16 Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:23 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostGhostSwordsman, on 19 April 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

That's actually caused by the shell penetrating twice, on two different pieces of armor.

I had something similar happen a while back when I decided to take my Amagi out for a quick spin. Put up the spotter and took a pot shot at an enemy cruiser. Two over-pens for 10k. Consensus was the shells over-penned the outer plating, then penned some kind of internal armor before detonating inside giving a 33%. The damage total added up to 2 over-pens + 2 regular pens.

Here's the thread I started asking about it, as it confused me as to why I did that much damage from just over-pens. http://forum.worldof...__fromsearch__1

You overpenned then hit magazines (but without dealing enough damage to cause a detonation). Magazine hits will deal full penetration damage regardless of whatever other modules or sections were registered damage.

Consider it a feature, I suppose...

Zampy #17 Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:52 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

Why wouldn't these deal damage in that space?  At the very least, it's still exploding inside a contained area that would magnify and focus an explosive blast.  This shouldn't be dealing 0 damage, but possibly act more like an air burst small HE shell with shrapnel and spalling.

GhostSwordsman #18 Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:36 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostScout1, on 19 April 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

You overpenned then hit magazines (but without dealing enough damage to cause a detonation). Magazine hits will deal full penetration damage regardless of whatever other modules or sections were registered damage.

Consider it a feature, I suppose...

The shells struck nowhere near the mags though.

warships.today stats    Wargaming.net WoWs profile overview

~You are an ocean of waves, weaving a dream, Like thoughts become a river stream, Yet may the tide ever change, flowing like time, To the path, -yours to claim~Thou seek the dark with an unsheathed blade, Now a white, ivory throne beckons, So obtain the fate you sow, On this path, be weary, friend and foe~ - "Lost in Thoughts All Alone" English Cover - by Amalee

Ultimate BBQQ Recipe: 1 BB(the bigger, the juicier), 2 or more Cruisers and/or Destroyers, HE spam(apply generously), no salt required. Smoking your BBQQ is optional, but it adds lots of extra flavor.  Melt for 3-10 minutes and enjoy! Serve with fish for an even more exotic taste!

Scout1 #19 Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:24 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostGhostSwordsman, on 19 April 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

The shells struck nowhere near the mags though.

Keep in mind that the visual of shell arcs and impacts are just splines grafted onto what the server is telling your client. You can do all sorts of weird damages in a single shell (133%, 43%, various combos with saturated sections, etc...) as long as you hit magazines.

amade #20 Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostTenguBlade, on 20 April 2017 - 04:39 AM, said:

Shouldn't it be non-penetration, if only for consistency's sake?  If I pierce the torpedo bulge of an Iowa or Missouri and the shells are stopped by the main belt, currently it shows as non-pen.

IMO the ribbon hit system needs to count everything that does not deal damage, whether it's to modules or to the hull, as a non-pen.  Adding a separate module hit ribbon would be nice, but by hard-coding this condition in, you would bring players to the conclusion that they damaged a module if they get 0 damage but a penetration ribbon.

^ It should be this. It didn't pen the areas that can be inflicted damage, so it should be considered a non-penetration (despite penetrating the bulges).
[Current dxdiag]

Also tagged with ukcl, frca, overpenetration, bugs, feedback, french, british, united kingdom, cruisers

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Fodder4U