Mostly I play for fun these days... what?!

winning losing fun

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Herr_Reitz #1 Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

#1 - Would you play for any other reason than the game being fun? If so - what are those reasons - and describe them without substituting words or phrases for fun.

#2 - If you make that statement in chat - and someone asks, "Do you win a lot of games playing that way?" would you get upset/irritated? If so, why? 

It is a challenge for me to understand why anyone would voluntarily undertake playing this game if they did not play it for the "Fun Factor". Why play the game if it isn't fun for you? 

tia fyc

h_balck #2 Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Getting better at the game is my main goal.  That's where I derive my fun.  

My wife often asks me why I play the game if it bothers me sometimes.  My response, for the same reason people play competitive sports.  

Chaos_EN2 #3 Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

#1) To have Fun and to get better at the game.

#2) It depends on HOW they say it! I have a lot of players tell (politely) what I am doing wrong and how they think I could improve. Those are the ones I try to listen too.

The ones the are foul mouth, name calling types I just ignore. And sometimes block in chat.

Proud Former USN Sailor - EN2 1978-1986 - USS El Paso LKA-117 - USS Whidbey Island LSD-41 (Plank Owner), Proud Member of Grey Wolf Gamers http://graywolfgamers.enjin.com/ Current Ships - Smith, Friant, Okhotnik, Perth, Fiji

DoomStomper #4 Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostHerr_Reitz, on 18 April 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

#2 - If you make that statement in chat - and someone asks, "Do you win a lot of games playing that way?" would you get upset/irritated? If so, why?

Not so much irritation, I more pity those who view playing to win and playing for fun as two mutually exclusive concepts.

My Stats

PC Specs
 Intel i7 - 6700k processor, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo cooler, Asus Z170 motherboard, MSI GTX 980 Ti GPU, Crucial 16GB DDR4 RAM, Corsair Graphite 760t case, EVGA Supernova 850G2 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate 2TB HDD, Acer XB271HU monitor, Windows 10

Jiggiwatt #5 Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I doubt you'll find many (if any) people who do not play for fun. The difference is in how individuals define or derive fun. Different strokes for different folks.

Wulfgarn #6 Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:19 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I'll say for me, it's becoming less about fun and more to do with what I have invested.

There's still hope for later down the line, but I'm currently looking for something new. By new I mean anything other than this style of play and ships on water.

This game migh have ruined it for me. We'll see...

Edited by Wulfgarn, 18 April 2017 - 02:22 PM.

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee, Konig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

Psycodiver #7 Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I play for fun but I'm a highly competitive person also 

mmfullen #8 Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostPsycodiver, on 18 April 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

I play for fun but I'm a highly competitive person also 

This. Winning is fun. Racking up damage and kills is also fun.

[-K-] Kraken

Lert #9 Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

OPs implication is a bit disingenuous really. Everyone plays this game for fun. The main difference is in what those different people consider fun. Some possibilities:

- Carrying matches through cunning, planning, and an intricate game of chess

- Big purple numbers

- Seeing yourself improve

- Large damage numbers

- Zipping around in agile, fast boats

- Big boom! Lolololol

- Having a larf with friends

- The historicity aspect

And I'm sure I forgot some.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

h_balck #10 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostLert, on 18 April 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

- Carrying matches through cunning, planning, and an intricate game of chess

- Big purple numbers

- Seeing yourself improve

- Large damage numbers

- Zipping around in agile, fast boats

- Big boom! Lolololol

- Having a larf with friends

- The historicity aspect

All of the above.

ArcDeath #11 Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Me too. Others have taken the fun out of team work and so I just get what I can and have fun. I also help others out if they need it. A lot more fun playing this way.

Mercury49 #12 Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:30 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostChaos_EN2, on 18 April 2017 - 07:38 AM, said:

#1) To have Fun and to get better at the game.

#2) It depends on HOW they say it! I have a lot of players tell (politely) what I am doing wrong and how they think I could improve. Those are the ones I try to listen too.

The ones the are foul mouth, name calling types I just ignore. And sometimes block in chat.

instead of just ignoring them, try to look past the salt and still learn from what they are saying. A lot of times I find myself being a little snarkier than I intend to, but if someone meets that "salt" with some questions and shows they want to learn it very quickly changes my attitude.  Now I realize there are jerks out there that just won't change. 

Herr_Reitz #13 Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

disingenuous: not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

Nope. I'm certainly not that, no way. What I'm wondering is how you can play the game without the desire to win the game and call it fun? In other words, the phrase (straight out of a match) of "Mostly these days I play for fun" struck me as strange. Why ELSE would you play the game if it were not for fun? 

How many people really consider losing fun? Really? 

So I'm curious as to how others perceive the game - that is stated in my original post. And as you see by the kind folks who have replied, they all utilized fun.

My point is no matter what is fun to you, your "fun" and my fun could be diametrically opposed - you would still be playing for fun. Makes sense now? 

Some people absolutely hate the work they do - despise it so much it eats them up inside. Hate. It. Right? They don't do it for fun - but because as many might say, got bills to pay. I'm wondering if there are people who play this game that could fall into that same category. Maybe they have a lot invested financially and time-wise, thus they convince themselves they MUST play the game - not for fun, but because of their investment. See? 

tia fyc

paradat #14 Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

#2View PostHerr_Reitz, on 18 April 2017 - 05:17 AM, said:

#1 - Would you play for any other reason than the game being fun? If so - what are those reasons - and describe them without substituting words or phrases for fun.

It is a challenge for me to understand why anyone would voluntarily undertake playing this game if they did not play it for the "Fun Factor". Why play the game if it isn't fun for you? 

tia fyc

​#1 Nope, I Achieve in real life I game for fun. I am Motivated however to play well and achieve as long as it is fun. I will never stress over or rage about my leisure time.

#2 I would never put that in chat. Loaded question just asking for strife.

Edited by paradat, 18 April 2017 - 08:36 PM.

AJTP89 #15 Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

I play for fun, it's a game. However, I have mostly by winning. Playing well, assisting the team, driving my boat, getting the win. The best thing is when the team works. That's the best, everyone working together (doesn't happen often). That said, I still do play for enjoyment, so every once in a while for [edited]and giggles I'll just do something crazy. Example: I discourage the mid rush on two brothers, but if the ENTIRE team were to do it, I'd sign up 100%. We'd probably lose, but it would be hilarious. But not every game. Most of the time I'm very conventional. But there's a reason people always go for the ram. That's the reason why I can't stand long range spamming/sniping, or concealed torp throwing. That's boring, I want to blast away. That's why I don't go concealment on BBs. I'm there to shoot and be shot at, not sneak around and hide, hoping to ambush someone. Go play a DD. 

However, people who yolo bother me, that's not fun for the rest of your team. I know the Yamato has the biggest guns, but it's not unsinkable, and I KNOW you just saw 2 DDs in that smoke you're charging by yourself. Yeah, those idiots bother me. Everyone should be able to understand how the game works, then everyone has fun. (although a YOLO everyonce in a while is fun, but only on occasion).

The second question, no. I have a +50% WR, so I do win, and have fun. What I'm doing seems to work.

tugdual #16 Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Te bad player play for fun,  because he not try hard to know the game mecanics.

How to distinguish the funny player ? Search a Yamato in border of map with 100k HP exactly.

You can correct my spelling error pls, i not good in english.

Squidward_Tentpoles #17 Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:28 AM

Seaman

• Members

1. I play this game to kill time, and I like this game because I've lost general interest in traditional console-based games. It gets really enjoyable when the team I work with actually cooperates. Also trying to learn how to use Battleships effectively, starting with a crappy tier IV that has the accuracy of a drunken sailor.

2. I don't irritated if people call me out on that because I don't play competitively. That alone sucks the fun out of gaming in general.

twitch133 #18 Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

While the stats themselves are not the root of fun in this game.

My definition of fun is, Winning, racking up big damage and kill counts, learning and improving my gameplay.

I am too driven and competative to just have fun sailing a shooty boat around.

Intel 4790K : ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 : EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 : 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw X : Samsung 850 Evo : Asus PG279Q G-Sync

Adrenaline Rush has finally allowed me to become Obi-Wan. "If you strike me down. I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

"I fear nothing. All is as RNG wills it"

Grumpy_Chief #19 Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:29 AM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

I mostly try to cap bases but it has gotten almost impossible with the aircraft these days. They just crap all over you. Smoke is worthless. Everyone is shooting at you after the planes see you. You do not have any chance at all. It is just nuts.

Dartinbullets #20 Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:11 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

1.  Either I enjoy it or I don't play.  That does not necessarily mean winning or surviving.  Co-op games are many times more fun as you can play around more and not worry about hurting someones feelings so much.  You want to make a wild charge make it and try to survive, now that can be fun.  Try to survive in the Des Moines when you are the only human player and the end game is you against 3 bots.  Many times that is more fun than most of the other games, they can be close/challenging at times.

2.  No one has ever asked and I probably would not answer or just answer glibly.  It would not upset me as this game is for fun.

One thing that ruins this game for me and makes it hard to take seriously are the invisible ships.   Guess they feel it's necessary to help give certain ships an edge but they take it too far, makes it cartoon like and can't take it serious.   So for me the co-ops are more enjoyable and doubt that that will ever change.

Also tagged with winning, losing, fun

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users