Jump to content


CARRIER TRAINING

New Carrier owner ( Hosho )

  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

christian911 #1 Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:35 AM

    Seaman

  • Members

  • 16
  • Member since:
    01-03-2016
I have watched the WOW carrier guides. Are there any other training videos that would help me ?  I know about the auto drop.  Is there a training room or is COOP the only training ground ?  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

SgtBeltfed #2 Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:00 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Testers

  • 417
  • Member since:
    05-12-2015

Well, Co-op till you get used to the controls, then start hitting random. Wouldn't bother with the training room.

iChase has some guides, as do many others:

 

Here's some discussions on the forums, there's a bunch. Search is somewhat useful as you're gonna find a lot of CV hate threads, but they might make good guides at spreading a little salt.

 

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/116471-psa-to-langley-and-bogue-drivers-but-other-cv-drivers-as-well/page__hl__bogue__fromsearch__1

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/117167-trying-to-learn-cvs/page__p__2837249#entry2837249

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/32520-how-to-carrier/page__pid__860142#entry860142


Edited by SgtBeltfed, 18 April 2017 - 01:13 AM.


salival007 #3 Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:06 AM

    Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 134
  • Member since:
    07-07-2015

Just enjoy yourself and have fun, ignore rude people and take on board constructive feedback. I play all types of ships, the most rewarding and appreciated by team mates is playing CV. If you look after your teams interests, you'll get a plethora of compliments and well wishes. If you play a selfish match, not spotting, farming damage, you'll likely cop abuse.

 

As for mechanics, you'll have to wait for tier 6 to learn and practice manual drops/strafes.

 

It is very difficult for you to cap, so support your DD's who are capping by striking targets they'll have to deal with. Good practice is not to strike their CV as they are your learning tool, at high tiers you will need to learn to play with your dance partner stepping on your toes.

 


Edited by salival007, 18 April 2017 - 01:07 AM.


Kizarvexis #4 Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:09 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 447
  • Member since:
    07-02-2016

View Postchristian911, on 17 April 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

I have watched the WOW carrier guides. Are there any other training videos that would help me ?  I know about the auto drop.  Is there a training room or is COOP the only training ground ?  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

 

Here is a link on how to get into the training room. Use it to get used to the controls and then hop into co-op.

 

http://forum.worldof...training-rooms/

 



BaronVonTom #5 Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

    Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 193
  • Member since:
    11-19-2013

 

One of the things I highly recommend is going here and watching femennenly at this link:  

 

http://shipcomrade.com/tv.html

 

She is one of the top cv captains on the site.  She also explains what she is doing and why on most days.  She streams Monday through Friday 10:30am to 4 pm or so pacific time and also at night but not sure of the times at night.  There are others that stream  and use different ships but Fem is strictly a cv player (although she does play the occasional but rare BB)



Estimated_Prophet #6 Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:46 AM

    Commander

  • Members

  • 3,897
  • Member since:
    09-16-2015

View PostBaronVonTom, on 17 April 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

One of the things I highly recommend is going here and watching femennenly at this link:  

 

http://shipcomrade.com/tv.html

 

She is one of the top cv captains on the site.  She also explains what she is doing and why on most days.  She streams Monday through Friday 10:30am to 4 pm or so pacific time and also at night but not sure of the times at night.  There are others that stream  and use different ships but Fem is strictly a cv player (although she does play the occasional but rare BB)

 

May have to check her stream site out.


                           Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!


StoneRhino #7 Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:37 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 738
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012
Easy fumble your way to tier 6 then hold the "ALT" key and learn to aim.  Before 6.3 it was just hold the alt key and learn to aim.  It takes a bunch of practice to get better but that's the gist.

Carrier_Lexington #8 Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 1,161
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

iChase, one of the top CV players of all time, has several "Captain's Academy" videos to help new and experienced players to get better in their class of ship. This includes everything from learning to Manual Drop to even learning how to Skill your Captain.

 

However, it's going to be tough, and you may get a lot of s**t from your team, but just remember that, no matter how selfish they claim you are or how cancerous you are on the game, they are worse.


"Heresy!"


phydaux42 #9 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

    Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 95
  • Member since:
    05-07-2014

A few tips I've picked up along the way:

 

1) Carriers are fragile.  If the enemy gets LOS on you, you are BONED.  Don't let the enemy get to close unless you have several friendly ships around you to keep them off your back.

 

2) At the start of a game fleets tend to either go one way or another.  This, plus the fact that until you get to mid- to high-tier then every other ship is faster than you, means that you will soon be all by yourself with no friendly ships around.  I refer you back  to Item 1.  Being alone is a BAD thing.  

 

3) If the fleet goes south, use your fighters to scout north.  If the fleet goes east, use your fighters to scout west.  This means you want to launch your fighters FIRST, and attack aircraft afterward.

 

4) Early in the game, if your fighters encounter enemy attack aircraft, IGNORE THEM.  Your teammates will scream & howl for air cover.  Let them.  Your fighter's number one priority early in the game is to shoot down enemy fighter squadrons.  Not catapult-launched spotter/fighters - Fighter SQUADRONS.  At low tiers they are the biggest threat to your attack aircraft, and you only have so many.  

 

5) Once you've picked a part of the map to scout and launched your fighters, launch your attack aircraft and have them loiter in the area between your team mates and your fighters.  By the time your attack aircraft get to that point, your team mates will have advanced and your planes will be loitering above their AA (if they have any at your tier).

 

6) At this point, if you haven't already, it's time to use your auto pilot and move your ship closer to the action.  Closer to the action means shorter round trips for your attack aircraft, which means more sorties, which means more kills, XP & cash.  But DON'T move out into the open all by yourself.  You want your teammates between you and the main body of the enemy fleet.

 

7) Now it's time to start picking targets.  The man body of your team has probably gone off together somewhere, leaving just maybe a CA and a DD to cover the other direction.  Are their any enemy ships coming from that direction?  If so, then that friendly CA & DD just became the most important people in the world to you, because if any of those enemy ships get past them then they will spot you and blow you to SNOT right quick.  

 

Finally, Prioritize targets!

 

8)  DDs are dangerous.  They can sink a battleship with just one torpedo salvo.  But they can ALSO dodge torpedo & dive bombs like Bruce FREAKIN' Lee.  Don't waste your strike aircraft on a target that they will probably just miss.  If you have a friendly CA and DD fighting an enemy CA & DD, let your team manage the DD.  You attack the CA.

 

9) CAs are tough, and smart CA drivers travel in groups.  If you have two enemy CAs fighting, say, a friendly CA & DD, then you need to decide how your attack aircraft can be best used.  If both enemy ships are at roughly the same health level, half-health or more, then send your attack aircraft to attack the ship farthest away.  There's a decent chance you will sink it, leaving your team mates to fight a single ship in easy gun range.  If one ship has only a little health left, then you need to make a judgement call - An easy sink of one ship for you, leaving your teammates to fight one ship on their own, or attack the one with the most health, possibly sinking it, possibly not, and leaving your teammates with an easy kill on a badly hurt enemy ship.  Or two not-so-easy kills on two badly hurt enemy ships.  You need to make this judgement call, because what you DON'T want to happen is you send in your torpedo bombers on a badly hurt enemy ship, then before your torpedoes can close the distance that ship gets sunk by friendly gun fire.  Yeah, the ship was sunk, but your torpedoes are now WASTED.  This is something that you just need to rely on your experience to help you make the call.

 

10) BBs were the kings of the sea before CVs came along, and for a good reason.  One sortie from your attack aircraft will probably NOT sink an enemy battleship, and you shouldn't count on them to do so (although it is SO SATISFYING with it happens:teethhappy:).  So if there is an enemy battleship coming your way, you need to ask "Is there a friendly battleship closing to oppose it?"  If the answer is "yes," and the enemy BB is all by itself, then attack the enemy battleship.  If the enemy BB has a CA along with it then you need to make a judgement call, depending on how badly hurt the enemy CA is and what, if any, other ships your friendly BB has supporting it.  If you have no friendly BB nearby, then ignore the battleship and go after any enemy cruisers with it.  If the enemy BB is all by itself then attack it, but know that it will take another sortie, or TWO more sorties, to sink it unless you get lucky with flooding and his Damage control Party & Repair Party are both on cooldown.

 



AdmiralThunder #10 Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 372
  • Member since:
    12-07-2016

View Postphydaux42, on 26 April 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

A few tips I've picked up along the way:

 

1) Carriers are fragile.  If the enemy gets LOS on you, you are BONED.  Don't let the enemy get to close unless you have several friendly ships around you to keep them off your back.

 

2) At the start of a game fleets tend to either go one way or another.  This, plus the fact that until you get to mid- to high-tier then every other ship is faster than you, means that you will soon be all by yourself with no friendly ships around.  I refer you back  to Item 1.  Being alone is a BAD thing.  

 

3) If the fleet goes south, use your fighters to scout north.  If the fleet goes east, use your fighters to scout west.  This means you want to launch your fighters FIRST, and attack aircraft afterward.

 

4) Early in the game, if your fighters encounter enemy attack aircraft, IGNORE THEM.  Your teammates will scream & howl for air cover.  Let them.  Your fighter's number one priority early in the game is to shoot down enemy fighter squadrons.  Not catapult-launched spotter/fighters - Fighter SQUADRONS.  At low tiers they are the biggest threat to your attack aircraft, and you only have so many.  

 

5) Once you've picked a part of the map to scout and launched your fighters, launch your attack aircraft and have them loiter in the area between your team mates and your fighters.  By the time your attack aircraft get to that point, your team mates will have advanced and your planes will be loitering above their AA (if they have any at your tier).

 

6) At this point, if you haven't already, it's time to use your auto pilot and move your ship closer to the action.  Closer to the action means shorter round trips for your attack aircraft, which means more sorties, which means more kills, XP & cash.  But DON'T move out into the open all by yourself.  You want your teammates between you and the main body of the enemy fleet.

 

7) Now it's time to start picking targets.  The man body of your team has probably gone off together somewhere, leaving just maybe a CA and a DD to cover the other direction.  Are their any enemy ships coming from that direction?  If so, then that friendly CA & DD just became the most important people in the world to you, because if any of those enemy ships get past them then they will spot you and blow you to SNOT right quick.  

 

Finally, Prioritize targets!

 

8)  DDs are dangerous.  They can sink a battleship with just one torpedo salvo.  But they can ALSO dodge torpedo & dive bombs like Bruce FREAKIN' Lee.  Don't waste your strike aircraft on a target that they will probably just miss.  If you have a friendly CA and DD fighting an enemy CA & DD, let your team manage the DD.  You attack the CA.

 

9) CAs are tough, and smart CA drivers travel in groups.  If you have two enemy CAs fighting, say, a friendly CA & DD, then you need to decide how your attack aircraft can be best used.  If both enemy ships are at roughly the same health level, half-health or more, then send your attack aircraft to attack the ship farthest away.  There's a decent chance you will sink it, leaving your team mates to fight a single ship in easy gun range.  If one ship has only a little health left, then you need to make a judgement call - An easy sink of one ship for you, leaving your teammates to fight one ship on their own, or attack the one with the most health, possibly sinking it, possibly not, and leaving your teammates with an easy kill on a badly hurt enemy ship.  Or two not-so-easy kills on two badly hurt enemy ships.  You need to make this judgement call, because what you DON'T want to happen is you send in your torpedo bombers on a badly hurt enemy ship, then before your torpedoes can close the distance that ship gets sunk by friendly gun fire.  Yeah, the ship was sunk, but your torpedoes are now WASTED.  This is something that you just need to rely on your experience to help you make the call.

 

10) BBs were the kings of the sea before CVs came along, and for a good reason.  One sortie from your attack aircraft will probably NOT sink an enemy battleship, and you shouldn't count on them to do so (although it is SO SATISFYING with it happens:teethhappy:).  So if there is an enemy battleship coming your way, you need to ask "Is there a friendly battleship closing to oppose it?"  If the answer is "yes," and the enemy BB is all by itself, then attack the enemy battleship.  If the enemy BB has a CA along with it then you need to make a judgement call, depending on how badly hurt the enemy CA is and what, if any, other ships your friendly BB has supporting it.  If you have no friendly BB nearby, then ignore the battleship and go after any enemy cruisers with it.  If the enemy BB is all by itself then attack it, but know that it will take another sortie, or TWO more sorties, to sink it unless you get lucky with flooding and his Damage control Party & Repair Party are both on cooldown.

 

 

Awesome post. I am debating trying out CV's but it i so different than the other class of ships I have held off. This is good info. Thanks.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users