Stats or Die?

Stats dont matter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
230 replies to this topic

Octavious_Lockawett #21 Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Personally I chose sometime ago to make my stats private. Not that I'm ashamed of my play or win ratio but any info you can deny your opponent aids you in battle. How so you ask? Well if someone sees you have a 80% win ration in a certain ship they may adjust their play accordingly. In other words it's the same reason us ole gear heads called a good car that was fast down the 1/8 of mile but didnt advertise that fact a sleeper. Be the sleeper, an unknown never let the enemy know you. I have seen matches were players were singled out right off by the team because they were thought to be the biggest threat. Stats are not everything as they can be padded and they are so many factors that play into the whole picture. I would say anyone that's played over 1000 games and are in higher tier mainline ships have a pretty good handle on the game. Even a broken clock can be right twice a day so never underestimate anyone no matter what anyone says. Most of all have fun don't sweat trash talk after all its just a game.

Gen_Jack_Oneil #22 Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

Seaman

• Members

View PostOctavious_Lockawett, on 17 April 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

Even a broken clock can be right twice a day so never underestimate anyone no matter what anyone says. Most of all have fun don't sweat trash talk after all its just a game.

Amen to that Sir.

"It won’t be an easy journey. It’ll be long, and arduous. But I promise you one thing: on the memory of those lying here before you, we shall find it, and Earth shall become our new home. So Say We All!" -  Commander William Adama BSG-75 Galactica

Bravo_Zulu_000 #23 Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Alpha Tester

Stats have a place in the game, especially if you want play it in a competitive element and teams / guilds / clans, etc. want to be able to select the best players, but people who proceed to lecture you on how to play the game before the match even begins need to get over themselves and get a life. It's an anonymous free to play pixel ship game and anyone and everyone can play it. 
Ready Aye Ready!

Wulfgarn #24 Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Block them, or just ignore them.

The only time you will see me bring stats into anything "in game" is simply when someone starts hounding me for whatever reason. Even then I usually just ignore them and report them without saying a word.

Edited by Wulfgarn, 17 April 2017 - 08:16 PM.

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee, Konig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

Gen_Jack_Oneil #25 Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

Seaman

• Members

View PostBravo_Zulu_000, on 17 April 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

Stats have a place in the game, especially if you want play it in a competitive element and teams / guilds / clans, etc. want to be able to select the best players, but people who proceed to lecture you on how to play the game before the match even begins need to get over themselves and get a life. It's an anonymous free to play pixel ship game and anyone and everyone can play it. 

I had 2 T7 ships at the begging of the last ranked season. i could have just went in and tried and probably failed. But i didnt play it, i didnt want to ruin the matches for those who are really good and let them down. So i sat it out. Maybe next season ill play it. 

Edited by Gen_Jack_Oneil, 17 April 2017 - 08:16 PM.

"It won’t be an easy journey. It’ll be long, and arduous. But I promise you one thing: on the memory of those lying here before you, we shall find it, and Earth shall become our new home. So Say We All!" -  Commander William Adama BSG-75 Galactica

Zhoyzu #26 Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:16 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Just ignore them. people who stat check others dont actually know how to properly utilize the information presented and then get upset.

Spyde #27 Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

OP. 

Just go to warships main site. login and look at your stats under players.

Select make Private.

There are mods that show stats for each player in the ship they are in, but hiding them blocks that.

Overall though.. Ignore stat shamers, block them or hide stats to completely avoid them.

Edited by Spyde, 17 April 2017 - 08:18 PM.

[-K-] Kraken                                          

T10  CA/CL Des Moines, Zao, Moskva, Hindenburg, Minotaur, Henri IV DD Gearing, Shimakaze, Khabarovsk, Grozovoi, Z52 BB Montana, Yamato, Grober Kurfurst   

Zhoyzu #28 Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:37 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostBravo_Zulu_000, on 17 April 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

they should primarily be used to measure ones own progress and to assess ones strengths and weaknesses in the match. And while clans currently exist they are almost pointless as there is no functionality for them.

IMO clans should exist to cultivate and nurture players into better players rather than cherry picking players. *shrugs*

My_Other_Car_Is_A_Tank #29 Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

People who think anyone's stats but their own are in any way important to them are stupid. Stats are to be a measure to oneself how one's improved and what one is good/bad at. If anyone acts like someone else's stats are their business, ignore them. They're one of the worst kinds of people inhabiting this game. 

"Shoot first, ask never!" -Koko Hekmatyar

IJN: Amagi, Mogami, Hatsuharu, Fubuki, Zuiho USN: Colorado, Pensacola, Mahan, Arkansas, Albany  KM: Nurnberg, Bayern, G-101, Emden, Admiral Graf Spee IRN: Gnevny, Kirov, Molotov, Murmansk FOG: Kirishima, Kongo, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, Takao, Myoko RN: Danae MN: Bougainville

Soon: Shiratsuyu, Bismarck       Later: Ryuujo

Aiseus' Warship Designs: http://imgur.com/a/QW7j7

CaptHarlock_222 #30 Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I'm one of those people that really doesn't care so much about stats. I do check my own every once in awhile, but I don't think that stats are the end all, be all of what a player is going to do. I've got ships that I either don't have much luck in or simply don't like how they play, and I'll still get good games in them every once in awhile. I've also got ships that I just seem to have good luck in or know how to play them really well and I still get terrible games in them. I actually didn't check my stats at all for the first six months or so of playing the game (mainly because I didn't care and thought I was just average.), one day I got bored and did check them and I was surprised to find out that I rate between 'good' and 'great' on Warships Today. I really don't think that I'm all that great, and if it weren't for those people that are either just starting out or really are terrible, I think I'd only be rated as average. Even though my stats list me as 'good', I try not to let it get to my head. I listen to other players when they try to coordinate a strategy, I try to help other players when I can, and I make an effort to do everything that I can to help my team. It doesn't stop me from derping (often) or outright running into islands (very often), but I tend to ignore any stat shaming or general insults that get thrown around.
AKA captharlock222 (my IJN/Axis ships account)

Azemboz #31 Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View PostGen_Jack_Oneil, on 17 April 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

The Match had JUST started. i hadnt even had a chance to do anything right or wrong. Plus ive been having a few bad streaks in my sims lately. So what? Everyone has bad streaks now and then. 

I agree with you. The guy chimping out at you just because your stats aren't great is out of line. You probably didn't do anything to provoke that reaction. That doesn't mean that stats don't matter or are useless, though. Just have fun, man, and ignore the occasional bad eggs. The guy who freaked out probably has bad stats, too.

Termx #32 Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

Majority of those that do any form of stats shaming are not good players themselves. And you have those who are also arrogant, never accepting accountability for their personal contributions to the team. It's always someone else's fault. A lot of them don't read and analyze the data correctly anyway; just focus more on the simple WR color coding and using it to jump to conclusions.

9 out of 10 times it's usually a bad player upset that they have (in their eyes) a bad team lineup and cannot be carried a win. Also, some of them are just padding their stats and is upset they may get a loss in the round due to the team lineup.

Either way, real good/experience players know how to use various ships and tiers, and won't bother with this type of noise since they have the experience to support a team to victory in various situations.

aethervox #33 Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

View PostGen_Jack_Oneil, on 17 April 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

I had 2 T7 ships at the begging of the last ranked season. i could have just went in and tried and probably failed. But i didnt play it, i didnt want to ruin the matches for those who are really good and let them down. So i sat it out. Maybe next season ill play it.

An incorrect decision, imho. All one required last Season was a T7 ship. Ranked doesn't require a specific supposedly best DD, CA, CL, BB or CV to play it. Just play what you have.

I had several T7 ships (none a premium either) that I randomized when I played a Ranked Battle. I got to rank 10 then slid back to 12? (I wasn't trying at all to get finished)

LuckyOtter #34 Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

Ensign

• Members

That guy needs to get a life... Everyone knows that the only stat that matters is....

Yarrr!!   :izmena::izmena::izmena:

Gray Wolf Recruitment Officer                                 

USN: T4 Langley; T6 Farragut and Cleveland; T7 Ranger; T8 Lexington, North Carolina, New Orleans; T9 Fletcher and Iowa --- IJN: T4 Isokaze; T5 Zuiho; T6 Fuso, Fubuki and Ryuho; T7 Myoko and Shiratsuya; T8 Shokaku  T9 Yugumo and Ibuki; --- RU: T6 Budyonny; T7 Minsk; T8 Chapeyev and Kiev; T9 Udaloi; T10 Moskva --- KM:  T5 Konigsberg, T7 Leberecht Maass, T8 Adm. Hipper and Bismark T9 Roon; T10 Gorber Kurfurst; --- UK: T6 Leander, T8 Edinburgh; --- FR: T3 Friant T4 Duguay-Trouin T5 Emile Bertin >> PREMIUMS: T3 Campbeltown; T4 Imperitor Nickolai I and Ishizuchi; T5 Texas, Kamikaze R, Gremyashchy, Murmansk; T6 Warspite and Molotov; T7 Atlanta, Belfast,  Saipan, Scharnhorst, Blyskawica, Sims; T8 Mikhail Kutuzov, Lo Yang, Atago, and Tirpitz!

Ajax_the_Great1 #35 Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

Ensign

• Members

I looked at your stats and they're very average. Nothing to freak out over. Maybe something else happened in your story you're not mentioning?

aethervox #36 Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

As to the topic - getting 'griefed' due to stats?

1) Good Stats on WoWS, while nice, are completely bogus due to the kindergarten PvE mode.

How many so-called great stat players have 'padded' theirs?

2) In almost all battles it is so easy to criticize (grief) someone due to the utter imbecility of so many players.

Note who many are who play this game - juveniles/ kiddies who can't 'get' nuanced play, who only know the 'two minute' attention span console type game.

3) Die? LOL. I do that a lot. (I need to be a little less aggressive - at least, I keep telling myself that & then I don't listen to myself).

Thing is, sometimes when one dies early one has already done some damage & sometimes gotten the enemy to focus on you while your team goes on to win.

TL_Warlord_Roff #37 Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Dear original Poster:

Dude, totally with you on this.  About 2-3 months back I decided I had quite sufficiently enough of  stat shamer's including a couple that were my own fleet.  I made a conscious choice to mask my stats and make them private.   I have been so happy with that decision.    

When a person in my fleet decided to take issue with this I pointed out to him that My 60th birthday is coming up in less then a month and I don't answer to them in any way shape or form ever.  That I felt their attitude was childish and immature in the extreme.  

And frankly I am right.  It is childish, and it does show a lack of maturity.  Its one thing to use stats to help a player identify where their performance is weak or could use some attention.  But there is a big difference socially between aiding a player in identifying and correcting issues in their play, and showing them how to improve, or what is seen far to often which is singling them out in front of other players, insulting them, cutting them down, belittling them.  

Yea, you know its a great great fantastic way to encourage the people your playing with to greater heights of performance, and competitiveness.  That the excuse you used around this, but the reality is a bit different.     I'm no psychologist, and I'm also decades from being a child,  and this is something I have seen far to often before.  You see it on any children's playground... "My Daddy is better then your daddy" etc.... I did it, or had it done to me.  My kids and  grand kids have experienced it.   I'ts common, But your also absolutely correct about one other little bit.  It's an [edited]hat move.  And It's not acceptable behavior any longer in on line gaming.  It's destructive and divisive to the community.  And it's some thing that does drive customers away.  And I have first hand experience with it.   I used to own a game store.   I've seen the effect reflected in the bottom line.   I have to deal with the situations that developed from such behavior.    

Stat shamer's are just another kind of bully trying to hide their inadequacies and that's the truth of it.  I do wish more of them would catch on to the fact that most all of the rest don't really want to know about their insecurity issues!    *mutters in frustration*

Hang in there man.. they ARE a very small minority, as well they should be!    

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff, 17 April 2017 - 10:08 PM.

Set your course / the thunder of the guns beckon you onward / A hell of shell shot and fire await / Sailors to their duties attend / deep in their wombs of steel.

Stat Link removed... I like to surprise people...

Vaporisor #38 Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

Ensign

• Members

My thoughts?  Block person in chat, support and work with non toxic team members and then in team list use a complaint for poor behavior in chat.  Those peeps kill the game they take so serious.

Keep using and learning the ships you enjoy.  Those peeps forget that they were new once and that games need an influx of new peeps to keep the game alive.

Keep playing and hope to see you in game on my team or reds o7

DaChosen1FoSho #39 Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:31 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

So that person was me and you did leave some few facts out.

You were in a Sims, who drove to the 1 line on Two Brothers, you did nothing constructive to help your team. You didn't spot torps, you didn't smoke the team, you didn't spot the enemy DDs. You went off by yourself to do who knows what, and finished middle of the pack. We won because of my div, but you conveniently left that out of your post. And or the screen shot of of my div carrying you to victory.

You're post here is looking for justification of your poor play and some sort of sympathy "it's okay babies" from people that weren't there and know nothing of what you did. Or rather didn't do to help your team win.

DaChosen1FoSho #40 Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:35 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostAzemboz, on 17 April 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

I agree with you. The guy chimping out at you just because your stats aren't great is out of line. You probably didn't do anything to provoke that reaction. That doesn't mean that stats don't matter or are useless, though. Just have fun, man, and ignore the occasional bad eggs. The guy who freaked out probably has bad stats, too.

Thatta boy

Also tagged with Stats, dont, matter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users