German or US BB?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

koolkidNL #21 Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:36 AM

Seaman

• Members

I'm up to tier 7 with US and tier 5 with German.so far I've liked the US better for me.I'm digging the Colorado and it's beastly guns.lol

Not_Your_Average_Potato #22 Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:06 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

Have the GK and Yamato.  Woking up the USN BB line and at the Iowa right now.  German BBs are strong at close range and pretty fun to play.  However they teach u of bad habits of going broadside.  They still eat a lot of penetration damage but guess not as bad as getting citadel.  So far though I enjoyed the NC and also picked up the Alabama.  Both are strong ships and can hold their own. Also it teaches u how to angle and map awareness such as when to turn or should u turn.  Showing broadside in a BB in general is a bad move.   But so far I think it is a matter of preference.  But skill level wise USN BB takes more skill to play it well.  

Wowzery #23 Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostNot_Your_Average_Potato, on 16 April 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

However they teach u of bad habits of going broadside.  They still eat a lot of penetration damage but guess not as bad as getting citadel.

I do a lot of that damage as they are trying to get in close.  By the time they finally get into effect range against my US BB, they're usually down to 10k of health or so and can't run away, even if they have the superior speed.

templar627 #24 Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I've gone up to the Bismark and the Iowa and I can say that I am loving the USN BBs while kinda hating the german ones. The dispersion on German guns is horrendous and you can't seem to hit crapwith them. I generally always feel better on USN BBs because they have better dispersion/guns. I really think it's a matter of taste/preference since they're both solid lines I just can't really get going in the german one, while the USN on has been a real pleasure.

StoneGullet #25 Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

I have a Missouri I have no desire to have a Montana. I am on the Der grosse in the German side of things. I am liking it a lot since I got the upgraded hull and 420mm guns. 

Conan, What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the women!!!!

Battlecruiser_Yavuz #26 Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

Germans: Troll secondaries and torps

Americans: Really hard-hitting guns

Commissioned by Battleship_DukeofYork

Sailing the seas alongside the NAFGO

mmfullen #27 Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

• Members

German line is fun. I'm on the FDG now though and it's going to be an interesting grind to the Kurfurst.

[-K-] Kraken

even524 #28 Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Ignore what the server statistics numbers say, listen to your own voice and look into your own statistics.

Here are some easy steps to prove that I am not buul-shutting:

1. Look into your own win rate statistics, remove the division play and only look into the solo mode win rate (By so you remove the win rate delta done by your division buddy)

2. Rank your ship from high win rate to low win rate. Ignore a ship you play less than 20 rounds - The sample size is too small to be statistically meaningful. They are your winning ships, with whatever factors that affect your play.

3. Look at the server win rate ranking and see how different it is to your own win rate ranking. Server win rate data includes all ships, you probably don't have all ships, but you can easily take out the ships you don't have.

Then you will realize that you - your skill, play style, level of aggressiveness, or even your screen size - affect your game way more than a $60 premium ship or the slight win rate difference between USN BB and German BB line. German BB beats US BB on server win rate statistics, but that doesn't mean you will always do better in German BB vs. USN BB. Look into your own play style and find out what works out the best with you.

HIGHEST: Yamato, Montana, Des Moines, Zao, Gearing, Shimakaze, Khabarovsk, Bismarck, Leander PREMIUM: Kutuzov, Atago, Lo Yang, Belfast, Blyskawika, Sims, Atlanta, Arizona, Anshan, Gremyashchy, Murmansk, Fujin, Imperator Nikolai I, Arkansas Beta, Yubari, Konig Albert

even524 signature

WhiteRecon #29 Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:37 PM

• Members

Umm, who won the war again?  'Nuff said.  

SgtSullyC3 #30 Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:46 PM

Ensign

• Members

Germany is easy mode, like others have said, you can be a total idiot in them and not get rekt. Bismarck and FDG - unlucky = one hit to your citadel. Iowa and Montana - unlucky = five or six hits to your citadel or getting splatted like a cruiser.

T1-3: Erie, Smith, Derski, G-101, Katori, St. Louis, Bogatyr, Friant, South Carolina

T4-6: Izyaslav, Clemson, Danae, Yūbari, Kaiser, Kamikaze, Königsberg, Omaha, Kongo, Bogue, Duca D'Aosta, Cleveland, Aoba, Perth, Ryujo

T7-9: Shiratsuyu, Sims, Mahan, Atlanta, Belfast (gift from YureiKuma), Ranger, Saipan, New Orleans, North Carolina, Alabama, Lexington, Iowa, Missouri

GoalsIJN: Hiryu, Mogami - USN: Benson, Baltimore, Essex - KMS: T-22, Gneisenau - HMS: Leander, Fiji - VMF: Podvoisky, Budyonny - MN: Duguay-Trouin, La Galissonnière

HazeGrayUnderway #31 Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:58 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I just have one statement regarding German Battleships in WoWS.

There is not one bad ship in the German BB line.

The only ship line that performs "the best or among the best" better than German BBs at every tier is... the IJN CV line.

Wyatt_DERP85 #32 Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:15 AM

• Members

View Post11C2Papa, on 13 April 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

At tier 7 on German, tier 5 on US line. Have premium BB's for both to train crews. Trying to figure which to focus on, so far leaning towards German, love the 7km+++ secondaries at tier 8 and up. Just looking for suggestions and why people like them or don't like them. I have been more of a CA/CL player - support/snipe etc, but like the durability of BB's, plus landing citadels in a BB is so satisfying. Thanks for any input and suggestions!

I have gotten to Montana and Grosser Kurfurst and like them both.
On average, the USN ships have better main guns that on average hit harder and have better penetration and accuracy
Tier 7  - Germans have superior AA, 8+ Americans have superior AA
Germans have better secondaries
Germans have faster turret traverse times
Germans have faster rudder shift times
Germans at all tiers have a better armor scheme for brawling with better protected citadels.
German battleships have vastly superior speed until tier 8 the gap shrinks, Iowa is fastest BB in game, GK and Montana are tied.
High tier German battleships are much more Yamato resistant
American battleships tend to have better concealment at higher tiers and can more easily take advantage of concealment builds - especially 8 and up - fire and disappear, ships give you broadside again and again

Edited by Wyatt_DERP85, 21 April 2017 - 04:22 AM.

sartt #33 Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

• Members

View Post11C2Papa, on 13 April 2017 - 08:40 PM, said:

At tier 7 on German, tier 5 on US line. Have premium BB's for both to train crews. Trying to figure which to focus on, so far leaning towards German, love the 7km+++ secondaries at tier 8 and up. Just looking for suggestions and why people like them or don't like them. I have been more of a CA/CL player - support/snipe etc, but like the durability of BB's, plus landing citadels in a BB is so satisfying. Thanks for any input and suggestions!

German Engineering.> All If i knew there was going to be a German B.B. line i would have started this game playing German Cruisers.

Carrier_Lexington #34 Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 20 April 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

There is not one bad ship in the German BB line.

I see your stat-based, logical deduction and raise you Bayern.

Sure, a lot of people go on to say it's "the best T6 BB". To them, I just point to four things:

Guns: You only have 8, and they're 12 inch

Dispersion = Your guns are manned by Ork Shoota Boyz

TDS = It's German. What did you expect?

Superstructure: Eats AP damage like New Mexico's Bow

I really hated Bayern. I loved König and Kaiser and Nassau, but I hated Bayern, and it was mainly due to the terrible dispersion at range.

The only redeeming factor about that ship was that the secondaries were manned by Ork Burna Boyz, and they excelled at setting things on fire.

"Heresy!"

HazeGrayUnderway #35 Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostCarrier_Lexington, on 25 April 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

I see your stat-based, logical deduction and raise you Bayern.

Sure, a lot of people go on to say it's "the best T6 BB". To them, I just point to four things:

Guns: You only have 8, and they're 12 inch

Dispersion = Your guns are manned by Ork Shoota Boyz

TDS = It's German. What did you expect?

Superstructure: Eats AP damage like New Mexico's Bow

I really hated Bayern. I loved König and Kaiser and Nassau, but I hated Bayern, and it was mainly due to the terrible dispersion at range.

The only redeeming factor about that ship was that the secondaries were manned by Ork Burna Boyz, and they excelled at setting things on fire.

Give Bayern ASM1 and I swear you'll change your mind on her gunnery.

I originally had my Bayern setup "Warspite Style" with a Secondaries focus.  But then I tried it out for s--ts and giggles with ASM1 and she's a very different ship.

Unlike the Standard USN BBs, Bayern is faster than them.

Unlike a number of BBs in this tier, Bayern has good protection.

With ASM1 then those 15" guns start connecting.

And the 15" shells will laugh at other BB armor in the tier.

This is very true for all the German 15" armed BBs.  Without ASM1 they're very unreliable except for shorter range fights.  But give them ASM1 and you can sling shells at range with confidence.  It's the same reason why I elected to have Tirpitz with ASM1 while my Bismarck is Secondaries Build.  Bismarck is fun in that in your face style but Tirpitz with ASM1 is a more comfortable ship to play at any typical BB engagement ranges.  Like my ASM1 Tirpitz, my so-fitted Bayern I feel comfortable to use at the same scenarios.  My ASM1 Bayern is not a ship that only excels in a brawl.  She'll kite and hit with reliability if needed, and if I need to brawl, the guns are accurate.  My Bayern is already averaging more damage than any of my Tier VI BBs, and I have them all.  I do good damage in Mutsu with her 16" guns and Fuso is "My Baby" at Tier VI.  But Bayern is so far outstripping them.

So IMO, the point still stands.

There is no bad ship in the German BB line.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 26 April 2017 - 01:22 AM.

Carrier_Lexington #36 Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:25 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 25 April 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

Give Bayern ASM1 and I swear you'll change your mind on her gunnery.

I originally had my Bayern setup "Warspite Style" with a Secondaries focus.  But then I tried it out for s--ts and giggles with ASM1 and she's a very different ship.

Hmmm... might try this.

"Heresy!"

even524 #37 Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostZim_Xero, on 13 April 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

The German line is better, but the US has the best premiums.  Texas + Arizona + Alabama + Missouri  is a heck of a combo to play with one shared commander.   Remember also that they are going to release a tier 10 premium Japanese BB soon. 

German has the best premium BB. Konig Albert has the second best BB win rate behind Nikolai. Sharnhorst is arguably the best overall premium battleship due to it's forgiveness, performance and fun factor. And Tirpitz is now out race Bismarck with it's secondary buff. German has nothing weak in it's premium BB offering.

HIGHEST: Yamato, Montana, Des Moines, Zao, Gearing, Shimakaze, Khabarovsk, Bismarck, Leander PREMIUM: Kutuzov, Atago, Lo Yang, Belfast, Blyskawika, Sims, Atlanta, Arizona, Anshan, Gremyashchy, Murmansk, Fujin, Imperator Nikolai I, Arkansas Beta, Yubari, Konig Albert

even524 signature

Cabusha #38 Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Both lines are great.  Germans are definitely the more forgiving line, with excellent armor and great Secondaries.  Torpedoes even on a couple of ships.  They are not indestructible though, and experienced players will PUNISH a poorly play German.  Highlights for me were the Kaiser and Bismark (Scharnhorst Premium is godly) with the Bayern and Gneisenau being the low points.  FDG at IX was okay...but I really like the GK at X.

I'm up to tier VIII on the American line, and I'm really enjoying the ship.  So many German players give way too much broadside, so I just punish them with my 16' guns.  The tier VI NewMex is also an excellent ship, and I'll take it any day over the Bayern.  VII Colorado wasn't my cup of tea.  Texas Premium is a riot at V.

Overall, Germans easiest to pick up, but I'd say the Americans are more rewarding of skilled play over the long term.

Vekta408 #39 Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostRommel603, on 16 April 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

I sort of have to disagree with that sentiment of the German BB's being the easy mode; then again I'm maining Scharnhorst/Gniesenau in regards to BB's, and both tend to follow alot of the same tactics as the T8-10 USN BB's, where I have to work on angling and not exposing too much of my sides.

The main difference I see is in regards to an engagement, the USN has the advantage once you get past 15 km due to accuracy, whereas once you get closer the Germans will punish you, especially once you get into secondary range. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and in honesty the only reason I focus more on the Germans over the USN is simply because I prefer playing the Axis power lines more than the Allies (IJN/DKM cruisers FTW!)

​They are the most noob friendly BB in the game though. The turtleback armor makes them so forgiving. Turtleback armor, good speed, troll secondaries or hilariously troll AA You even get torpedoes on a couple if you include the Tirpitz along with the Genis.

Rolkatsuki #40 Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:48 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

If you like getting up close and personal pick the German BBs great secondaries that have good reach and volume of fire you can make unspotted DDs and Cruisers pay for not escaping you, turtle back armor layout will troll newer players thinking that landing a hit at the waterline will grant them a citadel hit.

The reason why would people play USN BBs is because they take corners better(low mid tiers) they are faster at the higher tiers, AA suite is impressive *looks at the CVs at the sickbay with bandaids not covering their injuries* and that german BBs have thin deck armor and inaccurate guns at further range. 

The Great South Land's most truculent Dunkerque captain~

2s1vtak.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users