German or US BB?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

11C2Papa #1 Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:40 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

At tier 7 on German, tier 5 on US line. Have premium BB's for both to train crews. Trying to figure which to focus on, so far leaning towards German, love the 7km+++ secondaries at tier 8 and up. Just looking for suggestions and why people like them or don't like them. I have been more of a CA/CL player - support/snipe etc, but like the durability of BB's, plus landing citadels in a BB is so satisfying. Thanks for any input and suggestions!

Edited by 11C2Papa, 13 April 2017 - 08:42 PM.

Panzer1113 #2 Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Not sure if this is a joke thread, because no comparison between the two.  German line clearly superior - Bismarck one of the most fun BBs out there.  Spend your time grinding here, you can always circle back to US line...

11C2Papa #3 Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostPanzer1113, on 13 April 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Not sure if this is a joke thread, because no comparison between the two.  German line clearly superior - Bismarck one of the most fun BBs out there.  Spend your time grinding here, you can always circle back to US line...

Not a joke. Like I said, leaning towards the German line from what I have researched, just want to see if there is an argument for the American line. 

nina_blain_73 #4 Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Patriotism if your an American is really the only reason

BATTLESHIP BABES

BB: Mikasa. Konig Albert, Kawachi, South Carolina, Wyoming, Imperator Nikolai, Myogi, Arizona, Texas,ARP Haruna, ARP, Hiei, ARP Kirishima, New York, Gneisnau, Warspite, New Mexico, Colorado, HOOD, Alabama, North Carolina, Tirpitz, Iowa, Missouri, Montana  CL: Diana, Emden, Caledon, Murmansk, Kuma, Nuremberg, KirovAdmiral Graf Spee, ARP Haguro,  ARP Myoko, Atlanta, Pensacola, Indianapolis    DD: Smith, Tachibana, Campbeltown, V-170, Minekaze, Kamikaze, Okhotnik, Gnevny,  Blyskawica, Gearing

11C2Papa #5 Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View Postnina_blain_73, on 13 April 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

Patriotism if your an American is really the only reason

HAHAHA, that is a good answer! Especially considering some of the states I have lived in....Colorado, Texas, Wyoming, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama. I did live in Germany too though....

Edited by 11C2Papa, 13 April 2017 - 08:54 PM.

Panzer1113 #6 Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Post11C2Papa, on 13 April 2017 - 08:46 PM, said:

Not a joke. Like I said, leaning towards the German line from what I have researched, just want to see if there is an argument for the American line. 

German line soooo much more fun, I stoped US at Iowa, sold it - do have a Missouri - do not have real desire to grind to Montana.  Have Kurdfurst, kept Bismarck - great ships, fun play, if you want to play with torps on a BB without paying for a premium - can do that - want insane secondaries, can do that, want to hunt smoke hiding ships in BB, can do that

Edited by Panzer1113, 13 April 2017 - 08:55 PM.

Zim_Xero #7 Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

The German line is better, but the US has the best premiums.  Texas + Arizona + Alabama + Missouri  is a heck of a combo to play with one shared commander.   Remember also that they are going to release a tier 10 premium Japanese BB soon. 

Edited by Zim_Xero, 13 April 2017 - 09:23 PM.

Tier V -   Konig   Kongo   Furutaka   Zuiho   Texas   Marbelhead   Okhotnik   Kamikaze   

Tier VI -  Budyonny   Aoba   Leander   Arizona   Anshan   Dunkerque   Graf Spee   Warspite

Tier VII - Algerie   Shiratsuyu   Fiji   Saipan   Leningrad   Scharnhorst   Atlanta   Hood   Belfast   Blyskawica

Tier VIII+  Z-46   Grozovoi   Khabarovsk   Shokaku   Bismarck   Missouri   Atago   Alabama   Tirpitz   Lo Yang   Mikhail Kutuzov

11C2Papa #8 Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostZim_Xero, on 13 April 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

The German line is better, but the US has the best premiums.  Texas + Arizona + Alabama + Missouri  is a heck of a combo to play with one shared commander.   Remember also that they are going to release a tier 10 premium Japanese BB soon. 

Tier 10 IJN will be purchased or a contest of some sort?

El_Swamp_Rat #9 Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:43 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Do both for fun; that's what I did. The Colorado up has nice +7km secondaries if you add the perks.

Estimated_Prophet #10 Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

Commander

• Members

German line is easy mode. USN line will teach you armor angling, damage control efficiency, and 'swing your tushy out, fire, and get it tucked back in fast!' before the German line will...

That or you'll grow frustrated about dying so much and go to the German line anyway.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

Zim_Xero #11 Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Post11C2Papa, on 13 April 2017 - 09:41 PM, said:

Tier 10 IJN will be purchased or a contest of some sort?

It will cost Free EXP like the Missouri.  Probably will cost 1 million.   If you convert it at 25 to 1 ratio thats about $160.00 dollars.  If you buy doubloons during a 10% bonus period and wait till conversion ratio is 35:1, the cost will be about $100.00

Of course its a 'free' ship if you play long enough to actually rack up that much free EXP without using it.

Tier V -   Konig   Kongo   Furutaka   Zuiho   Texas   Marbelhead   Okhotnik   Kamikaze   

Tier VI -  Budyonny   Aoba   Leander   Arizona   Anshan   Dunkerque   Graf Spee   Warspite

Tier VII - Algerie   Shiratsuyu   Fiji   Saipan   Leningrad   Scharnhorst   Atlanta   Hood   Belfast   Blyskawica

Tier VIII+  Z-46   Grozovoi   Khabarovsk   Shokaku   Bismarck   Missouri   Atago   Alabama   Tirpitz   Lo Yang   Mikhail Kutuzov

Edselman #12 Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Actually, the U.S.N. is equal. For example, if an NC goes bow-on to a Bismarck then the Bismarck is pretty much screwed. He had two choices, 1: keep firing with all your guns and risk taking heavy damage or 2: go bow-on in return and be forced to only shoot with the four 15" guns against the NC's six 16" guns firing Super Heavy Shells still capable of doing heavy damage to another tier 8 going bow-on. NC just as good as Bismarck and even better depending on the situation. The Bismarck is just more "idiot-proof" than the NC and the NC has a higher skill cap.

Beatty_10 #13 Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:49 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostEdselman, on 14 April 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

Actually, the U.S.N. is equal. For example, if an NC goes bow-on to a Bismarck then the Bismarck is pretty much screwed. He had two choices, 1: keep firing with all your guns and risk taking heavy damage or 2: go bow-on in return and be forced to only shoot with the four 15" guns against the NC's six 16" guns firing Super Heavy Shells still capable of doing heavy damage to another tier 8 going bow-on. NC just as good as Bismarck and even better depending on the situation. The Bismarck is just more "idiot-proof" than the NC and the NC has a higher skill cap.

well said, and true. The German line, which I've grinded up to the Freddie is easier to play, but the US line is excellent when played as Edselman states. The Colorado has been buffed into a pretty good ship, the guns are nasty, The NC is ferocious with its guns. The scenario painted by Edselman happens quite often, at least to me it does. And I win those with my NC, and now with my Alabama - which btw is a beast! I make Bismarcks turn away and run for cover from my Alabama (virtually same guns as NC). When I land a couple shells and rip 12K from them at a time, they get ascared!

Hillslam #14 Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:18 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

The USN hits harder, but because WG under-modeled their armor so poorly, and made pretty much all their interior spaces the equivalent of brown paper bag'd TNT tinders, it therefore punishes bad play and bad luck absolutely mercilessly, really horrendously.

The German line is easy mode. Due to WG's power creep and dubious design choices in modeling/creating ship behavior, you can be a complete idiot in a german bb; showing broadsides, messing up position, etc etc and still not get smacked down like the hand of god knuckleballed you - like happens to you in the USN line.

If you want BBs, and want more rewarding play, go USN. If you don't want to think about it, play with one hand and fap with the other, go german.

Edited by Hillslam, 16 April 2017 - 02:20 AM.

The Iowa is the better battleship. That fact doesn't require you to like it.

When your knowledge comes from nothing but books, your knowledge is worthless.

Rommel603 #15 Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

Seaman

• Members

I sort of have to disagree with that sentiment of the German BB's being the easy mode; then again I'm maining Scharnhorst/Gniesenau in regards to BB's, and both tend to follow alot of the same tactics as the T8-10 USN BB's, where I have to work on angling and not exposing too much of my sides.

The main difference I see is in regards to an engagement, the USN has the advantage once you get past 15 km due to accuracy, whereas once you get closer the Germans will punish you, especially once you get into secondary range. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and in honesty the only reason I focus more on the Germans over the USN is simply because I prefer playing the Axis power lines more than the Allies (IJN/DKM cruisers FTW!)

dark.png

KaptainKaybe #16 Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:28 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Both lines are solid. The only problem is the horrendous citadel armor on the Iowa and Montana. Once they fix that, I expect their damage numbers and win rates will go up significantly.

Wowzery #17 Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:35 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostPanzer1113, on 13 April 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Personally there is no comparison, US BBs all the way.  Nothing I enjoy more than sinking German BBs, like the Bismarck and Bayern in a US BB, or even better, a Dunkerque.

But yes, go the US line, it will force you to learn how to play BBs and not adapt bad habits which German BBs teach you.

Cabusha #18 Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:08 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Both are very rewarding lines.  Germans are excellent brawlers but suffer at range (mostly) while the Americans are more midrange support.  There's obviously exceptions, but it just kind of depends on what type of play you're after.

WhiteRecon #19 Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:47 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

So I have Montana, GK and Yamato.

Between USN & KM

Tier for tier I'd say American is best until you hit T9, then it's a matter of preference.  The Iowa grind was one of my favs, but now I'd drive my FDG over Iowa most of the time.  With that, MM will screw you more in USN ships, a CO in a T9 match just sucks.

Like others have said, learn to BB with USN because German is too forgiving on positioning and will promote bad habits.  Until T9 German's have tiny guns, so, there's the trade off.

btw, GK is a damn fun beast for a non-unicum like me.

lemekillmister #20 Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:53 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Get'em all. 

I'm a spudman, I got eyes all around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users