What do you think about this change to Match Making?

Skills MatchMaking

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: CHANGE MATCHMAKING (75 members have cast votes)

Would you be ok with WG using your stats as well as the tier of your ship for matchmaking in order to even out the teams better.

1. yes (29 votes [38.67%])

Percentage of vote: 38.67%

2. no (46 votes [61.33%])

Percentage of vote: 61.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Original_Prankster #1 Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

Seaman

• Members

In order to better balance teams in Random Battles,  I feel that WG not only needs to consider the tier of the ships but the overall skill level of the player in the ships in Que. I know it can be done and it can be done fast enough not to cause a long wait time for a game. Right now it seems like the battles are too one sided and not as much fun. Win or Lose. Too many good players on one side and or too many bad players on the other. 

Cruiser_Noshiro #2 Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:34 AM

Commander

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

No way.

pikohan #3 Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Been suggested many times and most likely won't happen.

ckupf #4 Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

More complex, slower, and makes stats meaningless. No thanks.

mohawkdriver #5 Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:29 AM

Commander

• Members

Nope.

Panbun #6 Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

Nah. Match-making is mostly fine the way it is. If stats were taken into account, it wouldn't be 'Random Battle' anymore.

Raven114 #7 Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

The more you turn middle of the road players away the faster the population will plummet. :look:

Kitsunelegend #8 Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Pretty sure this is called "SIMM" or "Skill Influenced Match Making".

Armored Warfare tried that out once.

You can see how well that worked out for them. :sceptic:

Spoiler

I is potato incarnate. I taste good with bacon. Fear my potato-yness! >=D

Bacon and coffee pleases teh kitsune -w- 

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png' href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...t3oH4sk.png</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...4sk.png</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...png</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>

[Battleships:] Mikasa, South Carolina, Ishizuchi, Arkansas BetaImperator Nikolai I, TexasWarspite, Arizona, Dunkerque, New Mexico, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, North Carolina, Alabama, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Iowa [Cruisers:] Erie, Albany, Emden, Aurora, Oleg, St Louis, KatoriYubari, Konigsburg, Marblehead, Omaha, Murmansk, ClevelandMolotov, Perth, Duca D'Aosta, Atlanta, Atago, Indianapolis, Prinz Eugen, Mikhail Kutuzov [Carriers:] Saipan [Destroyers:] Tachibana, SmithWickes, Clemson, Isokaze, Lo YangCampbeltownBlyskawicaSimsAnshan

Arpeggio ships: ARP Kongou, ARP Kirishima, ARP Hiei, ARP Ashigara, ARP Nachi, ARP Takao

SireneRacker #9 Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

Captain

• Members

The only thing this MM needs, and it had that once before it get removed for no reason, is that they take into account the nationality of ships. So that situations like 3 Bensons vs 3 Kagerous don't happen any longer.

Proud member of [WAIFU], nothing beats Prinz Eugen

Torpedoes don't have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.

warmseas #10 Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

I don't think it would be good for the game.

Original_Prankster #11 Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:26 PM

Seaman

• Members

I Really do not understand where you all are coming from. How would it make stats meaningless? Why would "middle of the road players leave" (and by the way I am a middle of the road player)? Maybe I am being unclear. Let me give an example. let says there is 90 people in Que and 30 of them are in your range. It would pick 24 as normal, but once it did then it would try to make sure that not too many of a certain skill level were on one side. So you do not end up with a lopsided battle. I happened to talk to a guy just today who worked for Relic as a game developer and he said that was pretty standard for online games. He was surprised WG did not have this already built into their matchmaking. 

I do find it a bit funny that MOST of you who are against it have really good stats. Like close to if not above 60% win rates and the rest of your stats look pretty damn good too.  Afraid you won't be able to maintain those numbers if the game was more balanced by skill? Won't be able to kick the crap out of newbie inexperienced players as much? 

JB_24 #12 Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:14 AM

Seaman

• Members

I don't know, it seems like a good ideal on paper... But for people like me I'm all over the place.

Some battles i do great, While other battles I completely flop

stats isn't a great indicator of who's more skilled in every battle... It may not work in practice...but I'm on the fence.

by being with more skilled players, you can watch and see how they kill you and try not to repeat what made you so easy to kill the next battle. For some, this kind of MM might hinder their ability to watch and learn.

Just my unorganized thoughts

However, I would like to see a mode for Nation v. Nation MM :)

Edited by JB_24, 14 April 2017 - 04:14 AM.

Just a causal below-average player who may have good games every so often who also lurks around the forum.  (At least I'm willing to admit it).
US cruiser main. : )

Hiroe #13 Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

I'm relieved to see the majority of the community is opposed to skill-based matchmaking. It's too stressful for me. I think the seasonal "Ranked Battles" mode is enough.

"A person hears only what he understands." - Goethe

Murotsu #14 Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:50 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

While my experience with WoW is more limited than with WoT, I suspect the same issues are at fault here that are in WoT.  The main one is, as you increase tiers, the lower tier players / ships in a game become increasingly worthless to the outcome.  This is definitely statistically provable in WoT.  If you are in a Tier X, IX, VIII battle the tier VIII vehicles, other than light tanks as scouts, are worthless.  You can't significantly impact the outcome and are basically a target.

There are two reasons for this:

First, your Tier VIII vehicle has so many fewer HP than the Tier X's (in particular) that they can steamroller you on HP alone.

The second issue is that all too frequently your Tier VIII gun and armor are so inferior that you can't do any significant damage to the Tier X and even IX vehicles while these tear you apart with ease.

I think from what I've seen with WoW the same applies here.  At upper tiers the ships have so many HP, are increasingly longer ranged, increasingly accurate, and have both more HP and more firepower (damage per hit) that they are exponentially ​better than the ships players in the game have that are a tier or two lower.  At the low tiers, this makes little or no difference.  The differences in statistics for the ships is smaller and they are not so mismatched.

So, all that really need be done is limit games starting at about Tier V or VI such that they aren't forced into games with ships two tiers higher.  At Tiers 8, 9, 10 the limitation should be no more than one tier down in a game.

No skill based matching necessary.

Edited by Murotsu, 15 April 2017 - 02:52 AM.

Umikami #15 Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:04 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

matchmaking takes long enough now, I don't want to add another calculation.

Hawkiye #16 Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Beta Testers

View PostUmikami, on 15 April 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

matchmaking takes long enough now, I don't want to add another calculation.

Wouldn't you prefer to have a better match that gives you a chance to make a difference?  Nothing like being a tier V in a tier VII game and knowing that to do anything, you will have to work your tail off to make something happen and one mistake, you are done.  The largest issue is the two tier range difference.  Look at what the stats are and what the ships are capable of.  Eliminating that would balance the ability to do something in the game, along with not slow MM down horribly.  

Umikami #17 Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostHawkiye, on 15 April 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

Wouldn't you prefer to have a better match that gives you a chance to make a difference?  Nothing like being a tier V in a tier VII game and knowing that to do anything, you will have to work your tail off to make something happen and one mistake, you are done.  The largest issue is the two tier range difference.  Look at what the stats are and what the ships are capable of.  Eliminating that would balance the ability to do something in the game, along with not slow MM down horribly.

No, I wouldn't.

Tiers 5 and 6 aren't the ONLY tiers where you see +2 matchmaking;

that happens from tier 5 on up,

with some "special" ships getting "special" matchmaking.

Unless you implement +1 matchmaking across the boards, the problem will never be solved,

and if you DO implement +1 matchmaking across the boards,

the game will slow down a lot because the player population isn't big enough to support it.

(I actually thought out my answer BEFORE I posted it)

DavidHoagland #18 Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:09 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I have never seen a fair Navy engagement.  You have the exact same ships on both teams.  That never happens in the real world.  Just ask any Navy WW2 vet.  I think you need to mix it up more.  One thing I absolutely hate is your disappearing ships.  That is an absolute game killer for me.  If you want to do that, start a new game and call it "Star Wars".  

Cruiser_kebobstuzov #19 Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

I say no because it just confuses MM more and divisions will [edited]with it so hard, if me and a couple unicum guys from my clan div up our team would be potato and the other team would be okayish as a result. Especially with divs SBMM is not a good idea for pubs.
dark.png

Murotsu #20 Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:26 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostUmikami, on 15 April 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

No, I wouldn't.

Tiers 5 and 6 aren't the ONLY tiers where you see +2 matchmaking;

that happens from tier 5 on up,

with some "special" ships getting "special" matchmaking.

Unless you implement +1 matchmaking across the boards, the problem will never be solved,

and if you DO implement +1 matchmaking across the boards,

the game will slow down a lot because the player population isn't big enough to support it.

(I actually thought out my answer BEFORE I posted it)

​Then MM should simply make smaller sides in a battle.  If the roster can't be filled what's wrong with say 6 on 6 or 8 on 8 instead?  It's already that way with the Coop matches.  Better a game with more evenly matched ships (not necessarily players) where your skill as a player is the dominant factor rather than being in a far better ship and seal clubbing.

In fact, that isn't all that bad an idea.  Since you'd never know if you're going into a game with 6 or 15 ships, or something in between, the strategies you'd have to employ would be more varied.  The importance of any one ship on your side could be magnified or diminished with that happening.

Imagine going into a game with five same tier destroyers and a single carrier on each side.  That'd be totally different from a 15 ship game where there are BB, CA, CL, and DD along with a CV or two mixed together.  Two totally different strategies involved to win.

Edited by Murotsu, 17 April 2017 - 12:21 AM.

Also tagged with Skills, MatchMaking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users