Jump to content


Can we please get UI scaling option?

UI scaling 4K

  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

bmdc #1 Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 9
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012
I game at 4K, and i'm sure there's only a handful like me, but the text and UI are super tiny in game at 4K. Lowering my resolution would defeat the purpose of owning a 4K monitor and I really enjoy the clarity in game. I have good vision, but the UI is so small it's nearly impossible to read even sitting a few feet from the monitor. If you guys could consider adding a UI scaling option, i'm sure people playing at higher resolutions and people with impaired vision would appreciate it very much. I've included a few examples to showcase what I'm talking about. As you can see the text and elements on screen are VERY small and difficult to read without moving closer and squinting. Pictures are in the link

http://i.imgur.com/CPUzsvS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SuyGm2b.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/G9wOWWi.jpg

awiggin #2 Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

    Rear Admiral

  • Members

  • 6,188
  • Member since:
    10-03-2015

Well known issue, unlikely to be addressed....

You said it yourself...."I game at 4K, and i'm sure there's only a handful like me"

Why would WG invest in additional work for a handful of players? :amazed:


 

 


bmdc #3 Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 9
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View Postawiggin, on 12 April 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

Well known issue, unlikely to be addressed....

You said it yourself...."I game at 4K, and i'm sure there's only a handful like me"

Why would WG invest in additional work for a handful of players? :amazed:

 

As I said in the post, i'm sure there are visually impaired people who would appreciate this feature. Hell, there are plenty of games out there that automatically scale the UI for higher resolutions. For example, Battlefield, CoD, Mass Effect 3 and Andomeda, The WItcher 3, even RUST and that's in ALPHA still! I cant imagine it would be that difficult to have the game automatically scale the resolution to make it easier on people who cant see and people who game at higher resolutions.

bmdc #4 Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 9
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012
Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but is this not the most proper place to ask a question or post feedback about this topic? If you dont need it, great, i'm happy for you, but there are still plenty of people "Well known issue," who feel the same way I do, and one more voice requesting it may help get this feature added to the game. Not to mention, i've literally spent hundreds of dollars on this game. That's not to say I'm trying to act entitled, but I feel like it really wouldnt be that hard to implement something like this for the PAYING fan-base.

Edited by bmdc, 12 April 2017 - 03:56 PM.


RipNuN2 #5 Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

    Commander

  • Members

  • 3,923
  • Member since:
    09-30-2014
They have stated they want to do that but its low on the priority list since so few players use it. I'm guessing as 4K becomes more common over this year I would imagine they will address it at some point.

bmdc #6 Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 9
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012
Have you guys looked at the screenshots I posted?

bmdc #7 Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 9
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostRipNuN2, on 12 April 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

They have stated they want to do that but its low on the priority list since so few players use it. I'm guessing as 4K becomes more common over this year I would imagine they will address it at some point.

 

I didn't know this had been brought up before. As you can see I dont post here often, but this is an issue that has been bugging me since I started playing a year and a half ago and it's finally getting to the point that i'm going to start being vocal about it because i've been dealing with it for so long. And again, i'm sure there are visually impaired folks who would greatly appreciate it. I have two brothers and a mother that are legally blind and there are a LOT of games they cant play and things they cant do because the text is so small.

Edited by bmdc, 12 April 2017 - 04:00 PM.


AVR_Project #8 Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,725
  • Member since:
    10-31-2015

Those images are ridiculous... 

You need a magnifying glass to get any useful tactical information out of the postage-stamp corners.

I agree.  As I see these sets in Sam's Club, at a more attractive price, this will be getting more frequent complaints.

WG needs to keep up with technology, or at least find a reasonable work-around for the time being.

..

Can you configure for 1080p until they fix this?


So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5


bmdc #9 Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:24 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 9
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostAVR_Project, on 12 April 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

Those images are ridiculous... 

You need a magnifying glass to get any useful tactical information out of the postage-stamp corners.

I agree.  As I see these sets in Sam's Club, at a more attractive price, this will be getting more frequent complaints.

WG needs to keep up with technology, or at least find a reasonable work-around for the time being.

..

Can you configure for 1080p until they fix this?

 

Yeah I mean I COULD play at 1080p, but it looks blurry as hell on a 4K panel. Not to mention there's no resolution scaling options (like there is in PLENTY of other games) so if I ran my 4K panel at 1080p it'd push everything over on my other monitor, so far so that it'd go off the screen of the other monitor. I stream a lot, so playing at the native resolution of my main panel is an absolute must for me. If I could play at 1080p upscaled to 4K that would probably be fine, but there isn't even an option to do that and as I said, PLENTY of other games at the very least give you that option. Resolution scaling at the very least, but UI scaling would be preferred. It's ridiculously hard to see names and text in this game and so many other games dont have this problem at all because they took scaling in to consideration.

Hell, there are people that play at 1366x768 on laptops and the UI is HUGE! Too big actually! For example, check this out. The UI is covering vital parts of the game it's so big.

Umikami #10 Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Beta Testers

  • 2,569
  • Member since:
    05-14-2013

View Postbmdc, on 12 April 2017 - 03:52 PM, said:

 

As I said in the post, i'm sure there are visually impaired people who would appreciate this feature. Hell, there are plenty of games out there that automatically scale the UI for higher resolutions. For example, Battlefield, CoD, Mass Effect 3 and Andomeda, The WItcher 3, even RUST and that's in ALPHA still! I cant imagine it would be that difficult to have the game automatically scale the resolution to make it easier on people who cant see and people who game at higher resolutions.

 

what you are asking for is reasonable, if somewhat elitist just because of the electronics involved; I don't see a majority of players getting comparable monitors in the near future.

and I am also sorry you ran into one of the Forum's biggest bone-a-phones when you first posted, he's a known idiot so take it all with a grain of salt.

good luck with what you are trying to do, and if you'd like a suggestion: cultivate patience.



bmdc #11 Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 9
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostUmikami, on 12 April 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

 

what you are asking for is reasonable, if somewhat elitist just because of the electronics involved; I don't see a majority of players getting comparable monitors in the near future.

and I am also sorry you ran into one of the Forum's biggest bone-a-phones when you first posted, he's a known idiot so take it all with a grain of salt.

good luck with what you are trying to do, and if you'd like a suggestion: cultivate patience.

 

I mean, it's a $300 monitor. People invest more money in 1080p 144hz panels than I put in to this 4K. I wouldnt say it's elitist. 4K panels are relatively cheap nowadays. Sure it's not a 60hz 1080p 24" panel, but it's not Dell's new 5K or LG's new 8K either. Also, thanks for letting me know about the idiot. I'll take that in to consideration next time he comments on something I post.

destroyer_troyer #12 Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:09 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 1
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016

I use 4k as well and it is very frustrating.  I also find that in full screen 1080 it stretches the screen for some reason (circles become ovals) throwing off my aim.  That's why I'm such a terrible player...lol

 



Cereberus99 #13 Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Beta Testers

  • 9
  • Member since:
    06-16-2015
I'll add my hat to the ring just to bump this up in terms of visibility. I run 4k on a 55 inch tv. Yes, it's a bit "elitist" for the size of tv but with the new graphics cards out, 4k is going to become way more mainstream. While I have no problems playing in 1080p, it doesn't stop the fact that this is exactly the type of game where people will want to play at max res and on multiple monitors for those that have them.





Also tagged with UI, scaling, 4K

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users