Pensacola

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

InclinedToRun #1 Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Now I'm going to preface this topic with a bit of background.  I love the Pensacola, I love the guns, and the maneuverability.  I even do above average in most games with it, but there is one thing which I know isn't going to be changed, the armor.  Now, I am not the player who shows broadside all game, and I stay rather angled most of the time.  I just wish that there was some sort of skill related thing you could do to avoid damage, the most you can do is turn as quickly as possible, but still when one shell from a battleship hits you, 5 times out of 10 you will get citadelled no matter the angle.  I understand this is a feature unlikely to be changed, and I know that most people have to deal with it, but it is fairly frustrating when at 15 km you dodge all BB shells except for one, and you loose 13k-14k hp.

Now, I have one question, is there anything you can do to avoid the seemingly inevitable citadels?

Edited by InclinedToRun, 11 April 2017 - 03:20 PM.

KMS: Tirpitz, Hipper, Gneisnau, Scharnhorst, Graf Spee           HMS: Leander

VMF: Murmansk, Budyonny, Tashkent, OGnevoi, Leningrad

USN: Benson, Smith, Atlanta, North Carolina, Pensacola, Saipan, Alabama    ORP: Błyskawica      ROCN: Lo Yang

IJN: Ishizuchi, Katori, Amagi(sold), Ryujo

Lert #2 Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

Make sure you're not the juiciest target available, and / or ensure the red battleships have other things to worry about than a lone Pensacola pewpewing them.

Though, truth be told, Pensacola is one of the juiciest targets in the game, so the above tip isn't that helpful. Softness is the price to pay for having USN 8" at tier 7.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

SireneRacker #3 Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

Captain

• Members

Hide behind a target that is easier to hit, most enemies will fire at your shield rather than at you.

Proud member of [WAIFU], nothing beats Prinz Eugen

Torpedoes don't have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.

crzyhawk #4 Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:53 PM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

Let's not pretend that USN 8-inch is miles better than anyone else's 8-inch at T7.  It's got what is it, 5 degrees better auto-bounce angles?  Velocity is OK, if not spectacular, damage is average.  the fact is, Pensacola is more comparable in performance to the T6 ships in game than it is to the T7s.  If they were to ever give Yorck the option to mount 203mm guns, Pensacola would be in the T7 basement again.

centarina #5 Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

pcola is all about dancing at range to avoid getting hit.      it is that agility with good situation awareness that is the key to success.   and you will need that skill as you move up 

IJN: Mikasa,  Ichizuchi, Fuso, Amagi, Katori, kuma, Zao, Tachibana, KamikazeR, Shinonome, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki, Yugumo PA Anshan  

VFM: Aurora,Svietlana,  Murmansk, Budyonny, Chapayev, D.Donskoi, Ognevoi, Kiev, Tashkent, Udaloi, Khab  FRDougay T, Le Gal

USN:   New York, North Carolina,Phoenix,  Marblehead,  Indianapolis, Baltimore,  Farragut, Sims,Benson,Fletcher, Bogue    RN Leander, Edinburgh   

KM:  Konig Albert, Bayern, Graf Spee, Gneisenau, Bismarck, FDG, Emden, Karlsruhe  , Roon, Lib Maas         ARP: Kongo, Myoko, Haruna, Kirishima, Ashigara, Hiei, Haguro,  Nachi, Takao

Notser Certified Potato

Estimated_Prophet #6 Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

Commander

• Members

View Postcentarina, on 11 April 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

it is that agility with good situation awareness that is the key to success.

Like getting chased around an island on Two Brothers by an Atago... I shot straighter, he lost, my Pensy won...

FIRST GAME out in a Pensacola.

First impressions matter a lot; I'd heard how bad it was, but that first game cemented in my mind that I like Pensy. I may do terrible in it most of the other games I ever play, but I still like it. NO and Baltimore have been sold and long forgotten, Pensy is there to stay.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

ForgMaxtor #7 Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

Ensign

• Members

View Postcrzyhawk, on 11 April 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

Let's not pretend that USN 8-inch is miles better than anyone else's 8-inch at T7.  It's got what is it, 5 degrees better auto-bounce angles? 

It's a fair bit more than 5 degrees.  The auto-ricochet threshold for most AP shells is 60 degrees.  For USN 8" it's 67.5 degrees.  7.5 > 5, albiet not hugely so.  However, this is only part of the story.

The "possible ricochet band" for most AP shells is from 60 degrees - 45 degrees.  Ricochet chance gradually rises through this band, being nearly zero chance of ricochet at 45.1 degrees,  to nearly 100% chance of ricochet at 59.9 degrees.  At 45 degrees impact angle or below, ricochets never occur (though obviously if the armor is thick enough, the shell can still fail to pen).

In contrast, for USN 8", the "possible ricochet band" is very narrow -- only from 67.7 degrees - 60 degrees.  At 60 degrees or less, USN 8" AP never ricochets.  So measured at the "assured no ricochet threshold", USN AP has a full 15 degree advantage over other 8" AP shells.

I do however agree that the USN 8' AP advantage isn't as big a deal as it's sometimes made out to be.  It's nice, but it's really only an edge.  Fact of the matter is, the 8" HE for pretty much all CAs does very solid damage against most targets at any aspect, so non-USN CAs aren't losing a lot of damage potential by being able to pen with AP over a somewhat narrower aspect band.

Edited by ForgMaxtor, 11 April 2017 - 05:26 PM.

AJTP89 #8 Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

The concealment is what you have going for you. 10.9km with captain skill and camo. Your job is to jump unsuspecting cruisers, most of them don't respect the pensi...at least before you light them up for multiple citadels. Then it's duck and dodge in and out of sight and cover, shooting as you go. Your port guys probably have to replace the rudder after every game you use it so much. AP everybody. Cruisers and broadside battleships. 5K salvos at the upper belt of a BB is going to get their attention.

As you said, you can't angle. The pensa is a 2 shot ship. You can survive 2 salvos, then you're dead. So don't get hit. Maneuver and hide, as above. I have angled perfectly against BBs, didn't matter a bit. I still died. The only advice I can give you is don't get hit, because when you do, it's going to hurt.

Is the pensa fixed, I don't think so. The ROF is a bit slow. I have to run the turret traverse mod to keep the guns turning with the ship. 15.8 reload is a bit slow. I think maybe a drop to 14s stock wouldn't be bad. Then you'd have a paper cruiser with great concealment and guns. I find the pensa fun, as I'm always moving, picking my shots on the best target. I think it rewards a good player, but is very unforgiving of mistakes (although I ran aground the other day in front to the red guys, and somehow survived)

Lert #9 Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

Let's not pretend that USN 8-inch is miles better than anyone else's 8-inch at T7.  It's got what is it, 5 degrees better auto-bounce angles?

I don't have the exact numbers here, but I believe it's closer to 10 or 15. Still, it's a significant thing and can (and regularly does) mean the difference between harmlessly bouncing and pen'ing. It's the best 203mm in tier.

If they were to ever give Yorck the option to mount 203mm guns, Pensacola would be in the T7 basement again.

Yorck has 210mm which has its own problems. Personally I prefer German 203mm AP over USN 203mm AP, but the USN 203mm is 1) available a tier earlier and 2) overall the better all-round gun by having a viable HE shell.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

crzyhawk #10 Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

Right, my problem with the Pensacola is the t6-esque performance.  At some point, you can't just boost the ROF to make a ship have decent performance.  I think the NOLA shows that.  Pensacola is a poor treaty cruiser, in a tier with mostly decent treaty cruisers.  NOLA suffers from being a legal treaty cruiser in a tier of egregious treaty violators.

rather than buff the ROF (which did not move her out of the basement of T8), Nola should be dropped to T7.  She's roughly comparable to the Algerie, as "best in type" treaty cruisers.  Pensacola should be dropped to T6 (and made premium).  Her alpha damage is lower than Graf Spee's (and she has no torps).  Her DPM is slightly superior to Aoba (not factoring in Aoba's torps) with AP, and weaker with HE.

She's got a bit more hp than Aoba, less than Graf Spee.  With her lack of torps, she's a solid fit at T6 imo and I do not think would be overpowered at all.  In fact, I believe she'd end up no better than middle of the pack performance.  I think that the Leander, Perth, Molotov, and Budyonny would all be better.  Aoba and Pensacola would be about equal, and Nurnburg would bring up the rear.

crzyhawk #11 Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View PostLert, on 11 April 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

Yorck has 210mm which has its own problems. Personally I prefer German 203mm AP over USN 203mm AP, but the USN 203mm is 1) available a tier earlier and 2) overall the better all-round gun by having a viable HE shell.

Right.  I think Yorck needs some love too.  While I personally like the ship, it's not as capable as the competition.  I think an option to mount Hipper's 203mm guns, even with a reduced ROF would be nice.  You can choose which playstyle you want, firestarter with the 210s, or citadel hunter with 203's.

SgtSullyC3 #12 Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Ensign

• Members

I also like Pensacola, the maneuverability is awesome and the guns are great. Squishy? Heck yes, I got double citadeled by a NC 20km away. While I was head on to him (a miracle that he hit me at all lol). But if you angle, you can avoid getting citadeled by cruiser/DD AP. I really like the ship, especially since it gets a reputation for being a piece of crap - which newbies assume extends to every aspect of her, not just the guns. I saw an NC in mine - 9km away, full broadside, firing at my allies BBs 13km behind him. I had a feeling about him when he looked at me (my heart stopped) and then looked away and went back to firing at my allies. I ended up parking full broadside to him at a standstill and plinking away at him with AP for several minutes - farmed over 50K damage on him. He didn't fire a single round at me. Pensacolas often get ignored because people go, "Oooh, a Pepsican! I hear it's a piece of junk! I'll just ignore it!". Just stick with allies and you won't get focused on too much, especially if your allies happen to e just as squishy or even squishier than you (I.e British CLs). It's a ton of fun to ignore all the crap in chat about Pensacola being awful and coming off top of the team.

T1-3: Erie, Smith, Derski, G-101, Katori, St. Louis, Bogatyr, Friant, South Carolina

T4-6: Izyaslav, Clemson, Danae, Yūbari, Kaiser, Kamikaze, Königsberg, Omaha, Kongo, Bogue, Duca D'Aosta, Cleveland, Aoba, Perth, Ryujo, Dunkerque

T7-9: Shiratsuyu, Sims, Mahan, Atlanta, Belfast (gift from YureiKuma), Ranger, Saipan, New Orleans, North Carolina, Alabama, Lexington, Iowa, Missouri

GoalsIJN: Hiryu, Mogami - USN: Benson, Baltimore, Essex - HMS: Leander, Fiji - VMF: Podvoisky, Budyonny - MN: Emile Bertin, La Galissonnière

Viper101 #13 Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

I just know that the Pensacola can citadel a Fuso at close range. Which is good enough for me. 

That same battle I did 91k damage, and finished with 817 healh (all skill, no luck).

Being in the pensa is like being in the perfect relationship with the perfect person, except every 5 minutes, they punch you in the face. 

Exciton8964 #14 Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Most of pensacola is covered by 25mm armor or less. That means you are practically overmatched by T7 and above BB shells everywhere. Angling your armor won't do too much.

Edited by Exciton8964, 12 April 2017 - 06:54 PM.

Viper101 #15 Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostExciton8964, on 12 April 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

Most of pensacola is covered by 25mm armor or less. That means you are practically overmatched by T7 and above BB shells everywhere. Angling your armor won't do too much.

Most of the ship is covered in 16mm plates....

As SgtSullyS3 said, the maneuverability is awesome. 

You are certainly more reliant on dodging and using WSAD. 

Also, with a 10 point captain who has CE, and a camo, the detection range is like 10.9 (I think this was said earlier too). And at that kind of range, the 203mm guns do a ton of damage. 

Shes such a good ship. 

Edited by Viper101, 13 April 2017 - 02:33 AM.

sartt #16 Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostInclinedToRun, on 11 April 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

I just wish that there was some sort of skill related thing you could do to avoid damage,

Yes...  dont we all....

sartt #17 Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostViper101, on 12 April 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

I just know that the Pensacola can citadel a Fuso at close range. Which is good enough for me. 

That same battle I did 91k damage, and finished with 817 healh (all skill, no luck).

Being in the pensa is like being in the perfect relationship with the perfect person, except every 5 minutes, they punch you in the face. 

did that yesterday for 9k damage.

diddlyv #18 Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Have had some really good games in the pepsi, have been deleted before landing a shell as well.  Sold mine to pay for the Chappy, only because I have the Indy with radar

Zeno_the_Red #19 Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:14 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

USS Pensacola should have torps according to Wikipedia, look it up yourself. many other ships should have torps that don't. A fix is needed for this game to be more accurate.

TenguBlade #20 Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:00 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostZeno_the_Red, on 12 May 2017 - 02:14 AM, said:

USS Pensacola should have torps according to Wikipedia, look it up yourself. many other ships should have torps that don't. A fix is needed for this game to be more accurate.

There is no inaccuracy.  Pensacola's torpedoes tubes were removed shortly after she entered service and replaced with AA guns.  Unless you want the A hull to have almost zero AA, literally, in exchange for pathetically-weak and short-ranged torpedoes, is suggest you rethink your idea.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users