Strategies for Attacking Heavy AA/Defensive Fire-Equipped Ships

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

SeaKnight_1990 #1 Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

For a while, I've tried to think of ways of dealing with ships that either have good AA (Texas, higher-tier USN BBs, RN CLs) or have DF ability (Cleveland, Atlanta, most other cruisers.) 

Here were some: 

Find out how long DF abilities for different nations last, and cooldown. I watched a Saipan replay where the guy sank a Pensacola, when the target's DF cooldown was on cooldown. Another tactic would wait till later in the game, when they've likely used them up (except for Atlanta, which gets unlimited cooldowns.) For higher-tier CVs, I'm going to try and feint to them earlier on, to force them to burn their one and only DF for the round (unless they get two.) 

For ships that don't have it but good AA, waiting till late in the game is a good strategy. I watched a Grosser Kurfurst replay where the guy survived, but was sunk by dive bombers. Jingles said the ship has an AA rating of 100, but it's not any good after it gets shot up quite a bit, and a lot of AA guns are knocked out. If said ship has near full HP, then call up your teammates to do it, unless they are that incompetent, like most teams I get placed on. In that case, the best idea, at least in my opinion, would be to just go for broke and launch an all-out attack to swamp the AA. If you have the clock running down, and your team is behind on points, you have nothing to lose. Then again, RNGesus might be a bit nice, and grant you some lucky detonation or something.

Those are just my ideas, which might sound dumb, but then again, something's only dumb unless it works. I'd like to hear yours. Thanks!

dark.png

Bill_Halsey #2 Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

The problem is that there are certain ships you do not want to launch an alpha strike early in the game. USN ships for example as a general rule. German AA is more heavy at short range of db's would take a pounding in and out. IJN ships generally are weaker than everyone else. Normally, I'd hit the USN class if it's a furball with other ships at close range. At than point the secondaries are going to be busy dealing with the other ship and not your planes.  Or if it's @ half strength or lower.

SergeantHop #3 Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:24 AM

Captain

• Members

View PostBill_Halsey, on 09 April 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

The problem is that there are certain ships you do not want to launch an alpha strike early in the game. USN ships for example as a general rule. German AA is more heavy at short range of db's would take a pounding in and out. IJN ships generally are weaker than everyone else. Normally, I'd hit the USN class if it's a furball with other ships at close range. At than point the secondaries are going to be busy dealing with the other ship and not your planes.  Or if it's @ half strength or lower.

Dual purpose guns always act as both AA and AS weapons. You can fire your main battery on Atlanta while still shooting down planes with it.

Edited by SergeantHop, 10 April 2017 - 03:26 AM.

#1 in the world for max base XP in Tirpitz

Check out my premium camo thread here!

stubbornoctopus #4 Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:21 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

laughs in MFT + CTRL

sartt #5 Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

• Members

View PostSergeantHop, on 10 April 2017 - 03:24 AM, said:

Dual purpose guns always act as both AA and AS weapons. You can fire your main battery on Atlanta while still shooting down planes with it.

what if  the y have a ship focus targeted though? the Dual Purpose guns should be aimed at the ship and only the A.A. guns firing at the planes.

DeMatt #6 Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:42 AM

• Beta Testers

View Postsartt, on 08 May 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

what if  the y have a ship focus targeted though? the Dual Purpose guns should be aimed at the ship and only the A.A. guns firing at the planes.

In reality, yes, the DP gunners would have to choose between shooting at surface targets and shooting at aircraft.  In WoWS, however, a DP gun is instead two "guns" in one:  an anti-surface gun, and an anti-air gun.  They can fire at both targets at the same time.

View PostSeaKnight_1990, on 09 April 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

For a while, I've tried to think of ways of dealing with ships that either have good AA (Texas, higher-tier USN BBs, RN CLs) or have DF ability (Cleveland, Atlanta, most other cruisers.) 

Here were some: 

Find out how long DF abilities for different nations last, and cooldown. I watched a Saipan replay where the guy sank a Pensacola, when the target's DF cooldown was on cooldown. Another tactic would wait till later in the game, when they've likely used them up (except for Atlanta, which gets unlimited cooldowns.) For higher-tier CVs, I'm going to try and feint to them earlier on, to force them to burn their one and only DF for the round (unless they get two.) 

For ships that don't have it but good AA, waiting till late in the game is a good strategy. I watched a Grosser Kurfurst replay where the guy survived, but was sunk by dive bombers. Jingles said the ship has an AA rating of 100, but it's not any good after it gets shot up quite a bit, and a lot of AA guns are knocked out. If said ship has near full HP, then call up your teammates to do it, unless they are that incompetent, like most teams I get placed on. In that case, the best idea, at least in my opinion, would be to just go for broke and launch an all-out attack to swamp the AA. If you have the clock running down, and your team is behind on points, you have nothing to lose. Then again, RNGesus might be a bit nice, and grant you some lucky detonation or something.

Those are just my ideas, which might sound dumb, but then again, something's only dumb unless it works. I'd like to hear yours. Thanks!

The only reason somebody's going to pop DF is because they see enemy airplanes coming close.  Most ships (save Yubari and CVs) carry enough DF charges to last them throughout the match, unless they act super-paranoid and pop them on floatplanes or something.  So waiting for a target to run out of DF charges isn't going to work.

Waiting for the DF to expire will, however, but then the canny cruiser captain will wait until he thinks you're committed to your strike before popping DF.  So, game of chicken.

It should come as no surprise that a ship getting hosed down by HE spam tends to lose AA guns - they're thinly-armored and exposed, after all.  The idea to ask your team to hose down a particular target has merit, but unless they're DDs or somesuch, they'll be more interested in doing damage themselves rather than making it easier for you to strike things.

My recommendation would be to try leading with dive bombers.    HE bombs are just as good at removing AA guns as HE shells.

Azarath_Deathwing #7 Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostDeMatt, on 09 May 2017 - 12:42 AM, said:

In reality, yes, the DP gunners would have to choose between shooting at surface targets and shooting at aircraft.  In WoWS, however, a DP gun is instead two "guns" in one:  an anti-surface gun, and an anti-air gun.  They can fire at both targets at the same time.

The only reason somebody's going to pop DF is because they see enemy airplanes coming close.  Most ships (save Yubari and CVs) carry enough DF charges to last them throughout the match, unless they act super-paranoid and pop them on floatplanes or something.  So waiting for a target to run out of DF charges isn't going to work.

Waiting for the DF to expire will, however, but then the canny cruiser captain will wait until he thinks you're committed to your strike before popping DF.  So, game of chicken.

It should come as no surprise that a ship getting hosed down by HE spam tends to lose AA guns - they're thinly-armored and exposed, after all.  The idea to ask your team to hose down a particular target has merit, but unless they're DDs or somesuch, they'll be more interested in doing damage themselves rather than making it easier for you to strike things.

My recommendation would be to try leading with dive bombers.    HE bombs are just as good at removing AA guns as HE shells.

This^^^^

I love running my Essex as long as there is not a Taiho on the other side. You get to see all of the big-daddy AA USN BBs (NCal, iowa, Mo, and Monty). Nothing like smacking a BB for 20k in a DB run and demolishing AA. They repair... in comes the TBs. This would be the one advantage USN has over IJN... USN dive-bombers at high tier can train wreck any planes AA if you are smart about it (avoid those CAs and their DF; if you cannot, tease them to pop it), regardless if full health or already been pegged. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users