Radar Jamming

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

BrushWolf #21 Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View PostJackBinary, on 06 April 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

Radar has been my bane as a destroyer. It has exactly 0 counters.

Break line of sight? haha, nope, radar~

Sitting behind an island? haha, nope, radar~

Generally being a destroyer and skirting detection radius? haha, nope, radar~

It's honestly just a trump card at this point, and there shouldn't be any such thing as trump card mechanics.

OWSF was counterable, radar is not. There needs to be a counter, and a proper one at that.

Radar isn't your problem. Study yours and others replays to see what you are doing wrong.

Ich lasse mir doch nicht mein Schiff unter dem Arsch wegschießen. Feuererlaubnis! (I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!) Ernst Lindemann Captain KMS Bismarck

Lonewolfpj #22 Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostLert, on 06 April 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

Which ties up 2 ships, trying to take down 1. And where is the rest of your team during?

great point 

JackBinary #23 Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:19 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBrushWolf, on 06 April 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

Radar isn't your problem. Study yours and others replays to see what you are doing wrong.

I do study my replays, often in fact.

I'm not a great player and I'm constantly trying to improve.

But in cases where radar ends up getting me killed, 9 times out of 10, it feels like it should not have, if this game was even a smidgen more realistic.

Estimated_Prophet #24 Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:39 PM

Commander

• Members

Not specifically a dig against the OP, by why do I get the feeling peeps who complain about radar are trying to fight in open water, smoke or not?

Even if you're a destroyer getting radared from behind an island, if you're positioned so multiple ships can't target you, then stay behind the island until it expires; problem solved. If you're getting tag-teamed; then you shouldn't be there; run away like Sir Robin; like Lert said as well; if two ships are trying to kill you, doesn't that mean one of your allies isn't being shot at? What the heck are they doing in the meantime?

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

NCC81701 #25 Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostJackBinary, on 06 April 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

I do study my replays, often in fact.

I'm not a great player and I'm constantly trying to improve.

But in cases where radar ends up getting me killed, 9 times out of 10, it feels like it should not have, if this game was even a smidgen more realistic.

Maybe you should re-evaluate how you end up getting caught by radar without a pre-plan escape route or contingency plan 9 times out of 10. 

Member of: [RUST]

Sotaudi #26 Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

No.  I think this is a fair suggestion.  We need a counter to radar.  Of course, then, we need a counter to the counter to the counter.  I shall call it "Fan Mode."  This is where the radar operator sees that his radar is being jammed, so he starts pressing buttons frantically, trying to fix it.  This causes the radar to start spinning so fast that it creates a wind blowing out from the ship in all directions, dispersing the smoke, re-exposing the DD.  Don't fret, we can have a counter to the counter to the counter to the counter.  The DD will have a "Cohesive Smoke" consumable.  This causes the smoke cloud to just be pushed away rather than dispersed, so the DD can stay concealed so long as he keeps moving with it.

Now, we just need to figure out the counter to the counter to the counter to the counter's counter.

Edited by Sotaudi, 06 April 2017 - 04:51 PM.

Sabot_100 #27 Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostLert, on 06 April 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

Which ties up 2 ships, trying to take down 1. And where is the rest of your team during?

Thought that was the preferred strategy/tactic for the game. Concentrate fire/effort and eliminate an enemy ship. Then move on to the next target. Those 2 ships (and all their friends that care to join in) are "tied down" for as long as 2 radars last making the target useless along with any other ships suddenly exposed for that period (all dodging like crazy or caught with their pants down) and  permanently removing that one opponent from the game.

Sabot_100 #28 Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Back to the second part of my original post however. If a consumable was available to counter radar, how many would take it at the expense of another consumable? Is it better than speed boost? Probably. Better than smoke? Probably not. Torpedo reload booster? Defensive fire? The slot the consumable fits into would be the big balancer.

Same way RPF is balanced. Most would take as a Level 1 skill. Less if a level 2. Even less as a level 3. At level 4 most won't take it.

Put the jammer as an alternate in the smoke slot and it would not be in the standard builds (except in division and team play).

Umikami #29 Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

I don't want or need a "radar jammer".

Radar homing missiles on the new Russian Destroyer Leaders, however, I could live with.

Weren't they saying something about a "brand new type of offensive weapon"?

(seriously, with the levels of Russian Bias evident in this game, which OTHER line would get them first?)

Edited by Umikami, 06 April 2017 - 08:37 PM.

stubbornoctopus #30 Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:38 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostJackBinary, on 06 April 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

It's honestly just a trump card at this point, and there shouldn't be any such thing as trump card mechanics.

OWSF was counterable, radar is not. There needs to be a counter, and a proper one at that.

As a destroyer, in theory, you should be detecting enemy ships before they detect you.  Study which cruisers carry radar, and avoid those, just like carriers have to avoid ships with known strong AA suites.  This is entirely preventable for you.

Seamus_44 #31 Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

• Members

Radar is a powerful edge, esp. when several ships on a side can tag team. Jamming is one option, another would be that the radar ship would also be more visible when the radar is active. 

Joe__defender_destroyer #32 Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostJackBinary, on 06 April 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

Yeah, this has to go.

Shadeylark #33 Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostSabot_100, on 06 April 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

Smoke was a counter to being spotted.

Radar (and hydro) were counters to smoke. Hydro is less game changing as it is shorter range.

Why not have a counter to radar?

Still the question of what you would give up.

Dumb idea.  It'd be pointless to bring radar on your ship unless you had enough charges to outlast both the hammer and the smoke it's meant to counter.

Radar hammer strikes me as being akin to saying you won't make something illegal but will make it impossible to get a license.  Its a not so subtle way of basically getting rid of something without actually getting rid of it.

Shadeylark #34 Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:25 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostSeamus_44, on 10 April 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

Radar is a powerful edge, esp. when several ships on a side can tag team. Jamming is one option, another would be that the radar ship would also be more visible when the radar is active. 

Radar is only powerful because of the overwhelming advantage smoke without a counter grants.

Radar is far more situational than smoke n unlike smoke it affords no advantage on its own.

Shadeylark #35 Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostJackBinary, on 06 April 2017 - 03:13 PM, said:

You do realize that everyone not in a radar ship feels the same way about smoke, right?

You talk about trump cards... that's smoke to most ships in,this game.

You wanna eliminate trump cards, smoke goes first, then e an talk about getting rid of smoke.

And btw, radar is counterable use an island to block shots like everyone else who's constantly spotted has learned to,do... or use your innate speed advantage to get more than 9km away from,the radar ship.

Smoke is a trump card for good dd drivers, and a crutch for bad ones... it needs a revamp far more than radar (if smoke was balanced, there'd be no,need for radar to counter it in the first place)

Seamus_44 #36 Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

• Members

Counter to counter to counter is the very nature of war and any arms race. Like v Like (jet v jet, etc) or disable like gas to air and mask to gas. like the idea

Sweetsie #37 Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Dammit I don't know how to post pics but the scene in Princess Bride comes to mind concerning the poisoned cup.

Nimitz_1701 #38 Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostLert, on 06 April 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

That's what we need. Counters to counters to counters.

This reminds me of a joke from MTG. I countered your counter, that's countering my counter that counters your counter that was countering my counter spell that counterd your original spell.

ANDROMADA #39 Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostJackBinary, on 06 April 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

it also has such a short cooldown that we do.

With the premium consumable, it takes 2 minutes. Without premium version, it is 3 minutes. How easy do you want it?

silverdahc #40 Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:28 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Maybe you could have chaff Rockets that make you invisible for 10 seconds but only work if you're not moving so the radar would still work but just not as long maybe giving you a chance to move or not

And give everybody one of them

Edited by silverdahc, 09 May 2017 - 02:30 AM.

"It is very hard to swim up hill."         

Mark Schlereth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users