Saipan Guide for Random Battles

saipan guide

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

vak_ #21 Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostNachoo31, on 30 March 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Depending on your teammates to kill the fleet while you lock down their planes.

What match did you get 75 planes?  2 CVs?

Exactly. 3/1 makes you depend on your teammates much more. I prefer to try and carry them, instead of the other way around :)

Yeah, probably. Don't have a replay or post-battle screenshots though :( But generally, unskilled carriers that fly their airplanes in a straight line is the reason why I manage to shoot down 30+ airplanes on average in every battle by using only two 4-airplane fighter squads.

Mesrith #22 Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:58 PM

Commander

• Members
  • Beta Testers

The disengagement rule is ridiculously tilted in Saipan's favor.

• Let Hiryu player lock up one of your squadrons with both of his.
  • Line up a strafing run on all of them with your other fighter squadron.
  • Use strafe to disengage your first squadron, losing nothing in the process.

Dumb ship is dumb.

Spoiler

vak_ #23 Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:38 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostMesrith, on 03 April 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

The disengagement rule is ridiculously tilted in Saipan's favor.

Yep. Very-very much so. Makes it ridiculous, to be honest.

I love Saipan, but I'm sad that WG screwed up the balance this badly. I don't want them to make some boat OP just because it's a premium, that's bad for the game.

PS Updated my guide with the alt attack disengage stuff (and slightly re-shuffled stuff), plus I decided to upload one of my Saipan game replays with my commentary.

Fishrokk #24 Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:23 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

vak_ - What would be good training room exercises to set up to practice manual drops for both types of strike aircraft?  I've always had a problem getting the distance and lead right for TB's.

“OPEN FIRE WHEN READY. FEAR GOD. DREADNOUGHT.” - R Adm J Edward Snyder, USS New Jersey (BB-62)

I'm trying to expand my mind.  First I gotta do something about all these hobgoblins.

tugdual #25 Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:26 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Tricks against tiers 5,8 and 9 french cruiser if you don't have torps accel, use cross drop.  He have great speed, he can  out-runnig torps easiest and he can bait a wrong aiming by one side. 

Edited by tugdual, 10 May 2017 - 12:27 AM.

You can correct my spelling error pls, i not good in english.

vak_ #26 Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostFishrokk, on 09 May 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

vak_ - What would be good training room exercises to set up to practice manual drops for both types of strike aircraft?  I've always had a problem getting the distance and lead right for TB's.

In the training room, as you're setting up the options, you can select maneuvering AI-controlled ships (I don't remember what the exact settings are called, been a while, but it should be self-explanatory). It's up to you whether you want them to fire or not. It might be easier if they don't because you can hang around them in your Saipan, thus shortening the flight time and spending less overall time on the training. Setup all fast BBs (e.g. Kongo), all slow BBs (e.g. NM), all DDs, etc. in various sessions, and practice your drops. Try to drop on turning ships, it will give you a lot of appreciation for lead times and distances; plus you'll see how to punish some common mistakes (for example, a BB that's turning away from torp bombers is likely to eat all six torpedoes). 

vak_ #27 Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

If you have other questions or aren't clear about something in my guide -- let me know. And I'd be glad to help you in-game.

Fishrokk #28 Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View Postvak_, on 12 May 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

In the training room, as you're setting up the options, you can select maneuvering AI-controlled ships (I don't remember what the exact settings are called, been a while, but it should be self-explanatory). It's up to you whether you want them to fire or not. It might be easier if they don't because you can hang around them in your Saipan, thus shortening the flight time and spending less overall time on the training. Setup all fast BBs (e.g. Kongo), all slow BBs (e.g. NM), all DDs, etc. in various sessions, and practice your drops. Try to drop on turning ships, it will give you a lot of appreciation for lead times and distances; plus you'll see how to punish some common mistakes (for example, a BB that's turning away from torp bombers is likely to eat all six torpedoes). 

I tried this last night - set myself up with a Colorado, Algerie and an Akatsuki (just for starts).  Picked the map Rendezvous.  Never got past the loading screen, which I suspect was due to map selection since I've never heard of that map before.  Knew I shoulda picked Ocean.

I'll keep trying.  Thanks!

“OPEN FIRE WHEN READY. FEAR GOD. DREADNOUGHT.” - R Adm J Edward Snyder, USS New Jersey (BB-62)

I'm trying to expand my mind.  First I gotta do something about all these hobgoblins.

vak_ #29 Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:01 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostFishrokk, on 12 May 2017 - 04:11 PM, said:

I'll keep trying.  Thanks!

Did it work?

MrDeaf #30 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

Admiral

• Members

This is a very dirty and naughty guide of how to play Saipan.

If you are on my team, I hope you read this guide.

If you are not on my team, cover your eyes.

Now with more Youtube.

Subscribe to this thread for latest videos: http://forum.worldof...youtube-videos/

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship

Also tagged with saipan, guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users