What's the plan? Don't always believe the loudest voice

strategy

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Herr_Reitz #1 Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Just in a match where the loudest voice suggesting the plan was a destroyer. You know how on some maps you go for AB while the other side goes for BC? It was one of those maps... myself and another suggested AB. 

"Go C"... a few seconds... "I'm telling you go C"... I suggest AB... "Go C - I'm telling you go C"... so four out of five of our DDs go to C. 

"You'll have no cover if you go for C".

"GO TO C!" 

Four of five dds died... the one who did not go was the dd calling for everyone to go to C. Near the end of the match we were losing badly, I said "next time you may want to insist on AB, not C." 

The response? "I don't give a *hit... I just like to shoot at ships." 

Lesson being - not everyone cares about winning - apparently - and it should be no news that some on the team want others to go die while they play the game alone. I wish there was a special league for these players... Coop's too good for them. 

mohawkdriver #2 Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

Commander

• Members

I rarely listen to the guys that say to go somewhere, especially when there is so much of the lemming madness out there.  Lately it seems like all anyone has to say is 'go to x' and this immediately activates a post-hypnotic suggestion for everyone to go that way.

Lemming=Loss.  Every time.

_WaveRider_ #3 Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

Ensign

• Members

Each person is in charge of their own ship and have eyes to see the mini map. By all means if you want to follow a suggestion do so, just don't do it blindly. :honoring:

Mikenstien #4 Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Post_WaveRider_, on 25 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

Each person is in charge of their own ship and have eyes to see the mini map. By all means if you want to follow a suggestion do so, just don't do it blindly. :honoring:

Have to agree with this, I've found when playing DD that many will say go AB, and you rush off to cap expecting support, only to see everyone else went to C!  I always watch the mini map in the beginning of a match to see how the rest of the team is developing. I've found it's not unusual for people to say one thing and do the exact opposite. I've learned to analyze the situation constantly and adapt if needed. Whats the use of blindly going to a cap suggested by a teammate, when the rest of the team feels it's not worth it to support you? I'd rather give up the cap for the time being and survive to maybe take it back if the situation presents itself.

Herr_Reitz #5 Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Yup it as you say it tis... so for those just starting or mid level now... keep that in mind... the minimap is your best ally. 

Fishrokk #6 Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View Postmohawkdriver, on 25 March 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

Lemming=Loss.  Every time.

This is so not necessarily true.  If your team sticks together and rolls one flank that has a little bit of cover, and the enemy team splits, your team has a numbers advantage in the first engagement.

Even if the reds on the other flank walk straight to your cap, your team will often have enough ships left to both to defend your cap and put a boat or two on the other teams' cap.

I've lost too many battles in teams that spread out to teams that stuck together.

“OPEN FIRE WHEN READY. FEAR GOD. DREADNOUGHT.” - R Adm J Edward Snyder, USS New Jersey (BB-62)

I'm trying to expand my mind.  First I gotta do something about all these hobgoblins.

Fletcher7_1944 #7 Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:07 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostHerr_Reitz, on 25 March 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

Just in a match where the loudest voice suggesting the plan was a destroyer. You know how on some maps you go for AB while the other side goes for BC? It was one of those maps... myself and another suggested AB. 

"Go C"... a few seconds... "I'm telling you go C"... I suggest AB... "Go C - I'm telling you go C"... so four out of five of our DDs go to C. 

"GO TO C!" 

Four of five dds died... the one who did not go was the dd calling for everyone to go to C. Near the end of the match we were losing badly, I said "next time you may want to insist on AB, not C." 

Lesson being - not everyone cares about winning - apparently - and it should be no news that some on the team want others to go die while they play the game alone. I wish there was a special league for these players... Coop's too good for them. 

Oh yes, I've seen these types...  I learned long ago to wait a bit and SEE where everyone is deploying to using the mini map.  Got screwed one time too many by this sort of dweeb.

And thank you for that last comment, lol.  We don't want them ruining our matches, either!

Herr_Reitz #8 Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:57 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostFletcher7_1944, on 11 April 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

Oh yes, I've seen these types...  I learned long ago to wait a bit and SEE where everyone is deploying to using the mini map.  Got screwed one time too many by this sort of dweeb.

And thank you for that last comment, lol.  We don't want them ruining our matches, either!

Well you know... I am on the yUPPatriot staff list ;-P

aethervox #9 Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:59 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

OP brings up a valid concern.

Who suggests or 'calls' the plan?

I always operate on the premise that the top listed BB on the team should 'call' the plan.

Someone should & why not the top BB?

Thing is, this does not always happen - it could be a Cruiser or even a DD that 'calls' the plan.

Whether it's the loudest guy or a majority of the players, having a 'plan' is better than none.

What surprises me is that there is still no general convention as to 'who' should 'call' the battle.

Not even in the Forums where there is 'some' intelligence.

Edited by aethervox, 12 April 2017 - 07:02 AM.

icepac_hero #10 Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

For those who haven't figured this out yet : First Rule : STICK TOGETHER !!!!

Most moronic thing you can do on this game is to go by yourself :

1 - You deprive your team of your contribution (scout as a DD, utility as a Cruiser, Support / control fire as a BB)

2- Unless the enemy is equally stupid and sends only 1-2 ships in the zone you're soloing you will die (fast) and unbalance your team for what will inevitably follow : aka the big brawl

While some areas have strategic merits, they are not remotely worth dividing your team more than it should.  On Domination game you should split in 2 (at most) because you need 2 zones to win (assuming 3 total).  You also should split your team 2 ways on standard to slow down enemy on both wings of the map...

Whatever the case may be you are ALWAYS better off following your team, even if they are going the 'wrong way' than go solo by yourself...

Unless you're the best player that ever lived AND you are facing morons you wont win 1v3+ encounter in this game...  

So don't listen to the loud voices, but do follow (or stay ahead) of the majority of those green dots on your mini map and urge your companions to do the same.

Edited by icepac_hero, 12 April 2017 - 07:59 PM.

Buzzardsluck #11 Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:57 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostHerr_Reitz, on 25 March 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

"GO TO C!" 

Buzzardsluck #12 Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:03 AM

Seaman

• Members

See this all the time. Also see when 90% of team agrees and moves to AB and you get 2 BB or 2 Crusies go to cap D on a 4 cap map. No DD to scout and they run into trouble. Next you get an SOS and two dead big gun ships quick.

LA_Kid #13 Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

Seaman

• Members

Very good suggestions, advice and comments here regarding the topic "Plan". I am a third generation retired naval war veteran. I love this game and am constantly entertained and bemused by it's players. It has taken me over 1,500 battles to get it through my head that is just a virtual multi-player online game, not an actual authorized military exercise...lol..Ok, I'm a little slower and stubborn than I used to be...lol

Yes, in the real world of fleet command, the task force commander (usually an admiral), would be on the flagship. It could be a battleship but more often it's a carrier if one is in the group. It is a logical hierarchy of command, as the Admiral/Captain group commander usually has the most experience of any of the other skippers, the CV skipper has more than the BB skipper, who has more than the CV/CA skipper, who has more than the DD skipper. In WOWS this is not always the case. One can merely buy one's way into a capital ship within minutes of registering and logging in for the first time. It does not have to be an older retired military veteran with the card. It could easily be his grandson with a nicely loaded gift card, or any civilian in the world of any age. I don't know what the statistics are, but I would wager that there are more non-military between 10-30 yrs old playing. None within that demographic could have ever held the rank of Commander or higher and skippered in of these 4 categories of military assets. That's just the way it is! All each of us can do is "lead by example" and remember "It's just a game". I endeavor to be the best team mate I can be and continue to enjoy the game

Edited by LA_Kid, 20 April 2017 - 05:05 PM.

Synpax #14 Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:44 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBuzzardsluck, on 15 April 2017 - 02:03 AM, said:

See this all the time. Also see when 90% of team agrees and moves to AB and you get 2 BB or 2 Crusies go to cap D on a 4 cap map. No DD to scout and they run into trouble. Next you get an SOS and two dead big gun ships quick.

There are remedies to minimize this. Among them are: 

- Go in with a trusted division. This will reduce the probability of Rambo's. 

- Have your division all have the same clan tag and all giving the same orders. Being one of several clan tags has authority bonus of wearing a suit and carrying a clip-board in real life. 

- Sometimes people aren't paying attention to chat. Click on the map a few times of where you want them to go. 

- Hit them with a round. The natural reaction is to go to chat and complain and then they'll see the deal. 

MannyD_of_The_Sea #15 Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:24 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostSynpax, on 23 April 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

- Hit them with a round. The natural reaction is to go to chat and complain and then they'll see the deal. 

I'll follow any reasonable suggestion for a plan, but I reserve the right to judge "reasonable" for myself. Recommend a cap that has NO cover to use and I'm in my Atlanta? Nope, can't help there; gotta go where I can have some cover. Put a round in me?? I don't think that's conducive to any team cohesion.

If I suggest a plan, and someone wants to argue, I'll defer; I may think my plan is better, but a protracted argument is only going to make the "team" disband.

comtedumas #16 Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:51 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Postaethervox, on 12 April 2017 - 01:59 AM, said:

OP brings up a valid concern.

Who suggests or 'calls' the plan?

I always operate on the premise that the top listed BB on the team should 'call' the plan.

Someone should & why not the top BB?

Thing is, this does not always happen - it could be a Cruiser or even a DD that 'calls' the plan.

Whether it's the loudest guy or a majority of the players, having a 'plan' is better than none.

What surprises me is that there is still no general convention as to 'who' should 'call' the battle.

Not even in the Forums where there is 'some' intelligence.

if I see someone say " push, don't stop" that tells me they don't know what they are doing and they get reported for bad play and misbehavior in chat.  

Edited by comtedumas, 04 May 2017 - 05:59 AM.

Squidward_Tentpoles #17 Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

Seaman

• Members

To be honest, I only listen to the CV when it comes to tactics (most of the time, as there can be lemming CVs too) considering they're the ones with full map control. Too bad it's usually the DDs that are the most vocal, heh.

Just had a game where 3 DDs went in on a suicidal charge, and our CV carried the whole game.

monarch09 #18 Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:50 AM

Seaman

• Members

I have about 1900 games now and am still a virtual noob, But honestly, the one thing I seldom see in random... is a plan brought up. And when it is, there are always some idiots who make fun of the requestor. In ranked, the most fun I've had so far in WOW, we lived and died with a plan... good or bad. THAT was so much more fun compared to normal random play I see every day to say the least. And....more often than not, when someone puts a plan out, no matter how reasonable it is... there are always a couple ships that refuse to follow it. Those "rebels' are generally the first to call SOS and beg for help as the match moves forward .. irony. So from a learning player... I think RULE 1, STAY with your fleet. Sail as a FLEET... if at all possible. There is safety in numbers and concentrated fire in the first engagement. RULE 2 -- Sail ALONE, DIE ALONE. RULE 3 - refer to Rule 1 and Rule 2. Its simple as that.

In this two tier MM situation, FAIR is not part of the game, no matter how much it is stressed. There is NO fair when over 80% of the time (yeah, I tracked 200 random battles) there are 5 bbs in every match tier 5 and above. Add a carrier and the norm is half of the fleet are capital ships. Looking at Hitpoints needed to kill a ship, and thats what matters, the bb combined hitpoints almost always equal 3x the combined smaller ships, assuming a 3 CA, 3 DD split. So... if you play a DD, or especially a CA (a bigger, slower target), no matter how good you are, you have at least 3x more likelyhood of getting blown out of the water.... than a bb does.... sorry, its just numbers. IF you venture away from the safety of numbers... you deserve the painful lonely death you are likely to receive. SO PLAN OR NO PLAN, SAIL WITH THE FLEET!

tugdual #19 Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Plan is less important than individual map awarness and teamplay.

For exemple, to win lot of time, we just need break mind of ennemy player. The bad player, have weak mind, he can tilt fast and surrender. The bad player play for survive not for win, we need change that.

You can correct my spelling error pls, i not good in english.

mmfullen #20 Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Postcomtedumas, on 04 May 2017 - 12:51 AM, said:

if I see someone say " push, don't stop" that tells me they don't know what they are doing and they get reported for bad play and misbehavior in chat.  

Really? That's gotta be sarcasm. I hope this is sarcasm. 

[-K-] Kraken

Also tagged with strategy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users