United States Navy Cruiser Split

USN United States Navy line split Heavy Crusiers Light Cruisers American Cruisers

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Phoenix_jz #1 Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:43 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

United States Navy

- Cruiser Split -

If there’s one thing most of us can agree on, it’s that American cruisers have been in a bad spot. Either the ships are underpowered, or just awkward in placement. The best example of this is Cleveland.

Perhaps the best issue to point out with the USN cruisers is that they simply fail to have a defined role in the game, but aren’t flexible enough to compensate for any lack of specialization. They once were unrivaled in the AA department… but now both the Russian and German cruisers compete well with them, not to mention British warships such as Minotaur. All they have aside from that is their guns, but those don’t even hold up compared to others. Their poor arcs tend to hurt their performance at range, and while nations like Germany (sky-high damage) and Britain (short-fuse AP) take the lead in the AP field the USN used to find comfort in, Russia and Japan tend to beat the Americans soundly in the HE and fire starting department. They’re also average to slow on speed, in the range of the Germans and British but behind Russian and Japanese cruisers, and have no significantly better protection to compensate for it. As mentioned before, their poor gun arcs hurt their ability to fight at range, but their lack of torpedoes also mean they’re at a significant disadvantage in a close-range brawl.

One could almost argue that American cruisers are the ‘vanilla’ flavored line, really no specialization, but in-fact a jack-of-all-trades. This is true in a manner, but the reality is that the level of specialization other cruiser lines have is not extreme enough or debilitating to them in any given ways to make the American generality any sort of advantage.

And this shows in combat.

So, this version of what a USN line could look like after a split (which we know is coming, even if it’s not for a while) is meant to address this issue.  While WG has played their hand with it, with some success I might add, this is my approach to repairing the USN’s cruiser fleets.

The main idea about American cruisers I wanted to emphasis with this line, to compare with others, can be boiled down to a few main bullet points.

• Significantly stronger AA than other cruiser lines
  • Noticeably more durable than other cruisers with exceptions (against cruiser and destroyer gunnery, at least. 16” AP will always do what 16” AP does, unfortunately, and it’s not an issue unique to USN cruisers).
  • Some kind of gunnery advantage against other lines.

So, how much does this change the USN line we all know and love/hate? Well, hold on to your pants, because everything from tier VI to IX is going to face upheaval. The main bullet points here are as follows:

• Two lines, a light cruiser (CL) and heavy cruiser (CA) line, reaching up to tier IX and X, respectively.
  • There’s sub-lines within the Heavy Cruisers. Yep. Heavy, and Light. Don’t blame me. Most navies didn’t get the whole memo on Heavy Cruisers having heavy armor, so half these USN CA’s were dubbed CL’s at first anyways.
  • Cleveland, like we’ve always known, is going to be a tier 8. Un-nerfed. Her placement between Omaha and Pensacola (the latter an evolution of the Omaha design, no less) makes zero sense in any respect save caliber of gun, and in her historical form will be plenty for such a tier.
  • America has always been an AA-strong nation, and that’s so supposed to be their national flavor. So, let’s make it so. Like their battleships are now, the infamous and fantastic 5”/38 is going to be on American tier 8 cruisers, not just the tier IXs and X. In fact, for the light cruisers, it’s gonna stretch all the way down to tier VI. Also, the 5”/25 will have its’ AA range increased from it’s current 4.2 km to 4.5 km. Because otherwise USN BBs and Cruisers have inferior AA to many of their counterparts, who’s DP guns reach farther and often do more damage… which is just sad for a nation supposedly focused on AA, and as good as the 40mm guns are, DPS matters most in the long-ranged department, and anything under a 3.0 km base range is just irrelevant (20mm cannons, machine guns…).
  • Gunnery- We haz more gunz. ‘nuff said. Well, actually, there’s a bit more…
  • Cue-Balling. Yep, Cue-Balling will be a thing. To put it bluntly, I’m not a big fan of the raw reload buffs seen on the higher-tier USN CA’s.  I think it’s a clumsy and a-historical method of balancing ships… and some, like Des Moines, flat-out didn’t need it. There are some things that can’t be fixed by raising the damage output. Des Moines never had a problem with the amount of damage she could put out… it was being able to do so, which is solved by other methods.
  • Utility- These American ships are all about utility, being useful to their team. In order to expand this, they gain an extra consumable slot… but it can only operate Defensive Fire (which they lose in the other slot), with a few exceptions.

As a note, this will be fully embellished with stats, from damage numbers to AA dps. Every weapon you see here already exists in the game, so none of the numbers are speculation, save for hitpoints* of the ships themselves, and a minority of the AA dps numbers, as the mounts just don’t exist in-game in some cases.

*For existing ships staying at the same tier, they retain the same hitpools. Since Cleveland jumps tiers, hers increases.

The reviews of the ships are structured as such:

-Name/Classifications

-History Blurb

-Stats

-Comments about placement

Here we gooooooo!!!!!

From tiers II through V, the line will remain unchanged. I personally think swapping the St. Louis out with something that is lighter and faster makes more sense, given that’s the style of every other American cruiser in the line from tier II up to tier VII… but I know if I suggested even touching St. Louis, and WG listened… the entire NA server would have it out for me, and I’d be dead within three weeks. So, St. Louis stays, along with everything up to the Omaha, which is where things get a bit freaky. So, I mentioned Cleveland’s moving. Here’s what I plan to put in her place, to start the light cruiser line…

Edited by Phoenix_jz, 24 March 2017 - 12:25 AM.

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

​Most recent addition: USN Cruiser Split

CaptainMrEpic #2 Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

I wish the USS Boatin could be a premium. The ship my grandpa worked on in ww2.

RivertheRoyal #3 Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:48 PM

Captain

• Members

View PostCaptainMrEpic, on 23 March 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

I wish the USS Boatin could be a premium. The ship my grandpa worked on in ww2?

Ya done f'ed up son. 

*Sorry, had to be said. And I have no patience. Nor any self control. 

Edited by RivertheRoyal, 23 March 2017 - 11:54 PM.

CaptainMrEpic #4 Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Omg. The typos kill me.

Phoenix_jz #5 Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

CL Line, Tier VI: New Haven:

So, these guys are a lot simpler than the heavies, so I’m starting here. The New Haven… she was never commissioned…. Multiple times. Literally. There has been but one New Haven to serve in the United States Navy. The first, a gunboat dating back to 1776, fought in the American War for Independence. She wasn’t much more than a cargo ship with cannons strapped on, and fought in a single battle during the war (the Battle of Valcour Island). Funnily enough, she fought the battle aloungside the first incarnation of the USS Enterprise (a sloop) to serve with the US Navy, although the name probably wasn’t paired with the illustrious achievements it is now.  Well, long story short, the Americans managed to delay the British, which was important and the whole point of the battle (I’m fairly sure. The American Revolutionary War is not one of my strong points in History), but tactically the had their butts handed to them. Most of the fleet was scuttled, including the New Haven. Well, that’s pretty much it for New Haven. They manage to fail to get a ship named for the next three attempts. The next one was going to be a Cleveland-class light cruiser, and was even laid down…. Before being converted mid-construction to an Independence-class light carrier, and subsequently was renamed.

However, she was not forgotten, and three years later was laid down as the fourth Fargo-class cruiser…. But like all but two Fargo’s, was cancelled and scrapped on the slipways.

But that wasn’t it! She was to have one more shot at life, as the second of the Norfolk-class Hunter-Killer cruisers…  but only Norfolk was built, and was designated to become the US Navy’s first Destroyer Leader in 1953. Yeah, late to the party, America. Again. Well, in honor of the lack of haven to be found in a steel hull…. I’m giving the city this ship.

So, what exactly is this New Haven? Well, this is the one paper ship of my line, known as ‘Scheme 8, 1936.’ This was one of many design studies for the newer generation of American Light cruisers, and was never built… which is a shame, because it would make a damn good tier VI light cruiser in World of Warships.

Which is why I’m telling you about her :trollface:

Survivability:

8,000-10,490 tons

24,800-29,400 hitpoints

Normally, here is where I’d go about listing the armor values… but sadly, I’ve got no info on that. Yeah, yeah, I’m sorry… I’d imagine nothing worse than Atlanta, but nothing better than… well, what you get for the next few tiers. Which you will probably enjoy… Spoiler alert!

Maneuverability:

Machinery: 99,000hp

Top Speed: 33 knots

Main Armament:

3x3 152mm/47 Mk.16

RoF: 8 rpm (7.5 second firing cycle)

Tr: 10º/sec (18 seconds to Traverse 180º)

Range: ?

MV: 812mps(HE), 762mps(AP)

HE: 2,200

fc: 12%

AP: 3,200

Secondary Battery:

4x2 127mm/38 Mk.12

RoF: 15 rpm (4.0 second firing cycle)

Range: 5.0km

MV: 792mps

HE: 1,800

fc: 5%

AA Battery:

4x2 127mm/38 Mk.12

-60.4 dps

-5.01 km

2x4 28mm/75 Mk.2 mod. 2

-13.6 dps

-3.09 km

4x1 12.7mm/90 M2 Browning mod. 1

-14.4 dps

-1.2 km

B-hull:

-4x4 28mm/75

-8x1 12.7mm/90

+6x2 40mm/60(67.8 dps, 3.51 km)

+13x1 20mm/70 (46.8 dps, 2.01 km)

Upgrade path:

So, for those familiar to the design, you’ll notice I pulled the torpedoes. That was a conscious decision. One of the worst things for players going from Omaha to Cleveland to Pensacola currently is the rapid shift in playstelye. Omaha is fast, fragile, with high-velocity, but otherwise mediocre guns, and has torpedoes. Cleveland is slower, a lot beefier, with low-velocity rainbow arc guns… and no torpedoes. Then we jump to Pensacola, and then you’ve got a fragile 8” gun cruiser… well, you get the idea. Torpedoes will do nothing but teach you bad habits, and really, this ship doesn’t need them. It’s strong enough by itself. The Armor regardless, we’re talking about an AA powerhouse, not brokenly OP as Cleveland is at tier VI now (you’ve got two less 5in/38 dual mounts, and your stock mid-to-short range AA is only half as good as the current Cleveland’s), but still far better than anybody else’s… and it has superb main battery firepower. It’s the same as Cleveland’s, but at the same time, not.

How do I figure that? Well, obviously, you’re missing a turret. That would cut Cleveland’s broadside firepower (90 rpm) by a quarter… but wait. Here, we don’t give you the RoF of a Cleveland that’s been rusting out for eighteen years and can’t manage three-fifth’s of it’s firepower or traverse speed. This is a beast slinging eight rounds per minute per barrel, for a total of 72 rpm… which is still a drop in total rounds per minute, and thus, a damage drop… but then again, this is only a loss in the rear arc, and in fact a gain in the forward arcs… and your turrets aren’t propelled with a hank-crank powered by anemic chipmunks like on the upgraded (higher RoF) guns on Cleveland. Nooooo. Yours will be flying around at their fully, glorious 10º per second. No Italian or German battleship main battery turrets will be out-traversing yours! It’s only 18 seconds to traverse your guns 180º. Rejoice, and brawl to your heart’s content!

Now, when it comes to health, your armor will likely be inferior… and your health pool is slightly lower than Cleveland’s. Your secondary battery, although nothing impressive or worth buffing (in my opinion), is not terrible, I suppose… but your AA will still be your strongpoint. It’s not nearly as strong as the Cleveland’s, but that still means your AA is better than any other cruiser at your tier XD. Aoba is far behind, Budyonny is cursing at you from the back seat, Nürnberg is cutely polishing it’s 20mm barrels, the only zone in which it holds a candle to you, and Leander is sitting by the Budyonny, in a pout. Yep, a solid American tier VI.

CL Line, Tier VII: Brooklyn:

Next up, we have the pick for America’s tier VII light cruiser, the Brooklyn-class. The American Mogami, and also a personal favorite of mine when it comes to American cruisers. Something about the aesthetics, though tbh I always was reminded of a Myoko or Takao when looking at them, because of the turret arrangement. This was, historically speaking, the first American light cruiser to use the 6in/47, a massive jump in firepower over the older 6in/53 found on the Omaha, although not so much in WoWs due to the low velocity.  This would, though, be the standard of USN CL’s from here on out, but fortunately for you the New Haven already let you8 get accustomed to it back in tier VI. So where did this class of cruisers come from?

After the 1930 London Naval Treaty, which sought to limit the construction of heavy cruisers (which America had previously been churning out like crazy), America was left with a dilemma. They still needed ships to fill the rolls they’d envisioned their heavy cruiser designs doing, but… they couldn’t build any more heavy cruisers. So, instead, they went towards a newer concept, a heavier light cruiser. This was actually a very good idea, because while most navies struggled to come up with balanced designs featuring 8in guns on 10,000 ton hulls, it turns out that with an armament of 6in guns, a balanced ship was possible. In fact, these ships were better armored than most American heavy cruisers at the time, while still being just as fast and having similar range (a must-have for American requirements in the Pacific). These ships were in truth the genesis of a new generation of American cruisers. While all previously had been derived from the basic Omaha hull, all American cruisers would evolve from Brooklyn. Cleveland, Wichita, Baltimore, Des Moines… all are essentially the offspring of the Brooklyn-class.

Seven of the Brooklyn-class were built, and saw extensive service during WWII, almost every odd enemy weapon getting their licks in, be it kamikaze strikes, or Fritz X attacks. All but two were sold to various South American naval powers post-war, the most famous being the USS Phoenix, better known as the General Belgrano, sunk by HMS Conqueror in the Falklands war. This gives us the fun trivia question; “What American warship survived Pearl Harbor and was sunk by the British?”

And, while I would love to go into the wartime stories of these ships, unfortunately that would take up far to much space, and this post wouldn’t get put out until 2018… and I’ve delayed this enough already…

Survivability:

9,800-12700 tons

28100-33500 hitpoints

The armor scheme gets a bit (typical for later American designs) complicated, so bear with me here… just like the old Cleveland, the citadel is split, which is a good thing, because otherwise it would be stupidly long… like, Japanese long.

Citadel:

Belt(s): Most of the ship’s length is protected by a 127mm thick belt, with the area protecting the machinery capped by bulkheads ranging from 127 to 51mm thick. The magazines, meanwhile, had extra belts, 51mm thick for the fore magazines, 120mm thick on the aft ones, capped by 93mm thick bulkheads.

Deck: 51mm

Armament:

Turrets-                      Barbettes-

-165mm Faces           -152mm

-32mm Sides

Superstructure:

Conning Tower-

Roof: 57mm

Sides: 127mm

Maneuverability:

Machinery: 100,000hp

Top Speed: 32.5kts

Main Armament:

5x3 152mm/47 Mk.16

RoF: 8 rpm (7.5 second firing cycle)

Secondary Battery:

8x1 127mm/25 Mk.10/11/13

Range: 4.5km

MV: 657mps

fc: 9%

AA Battery:

8x1 127mm/25 Mk.10/11/13

-58.4 dps

-4.2 km

4x4 28mm/75 Mk.2 mod. 2

-27.2 dps

-3.09 km

8x1 20mm/70 Oerlikon Mk.4

-28.8 dps

-2.01 km

B-hull:

-8x1 127mm/25

-4x4 28mm/75

+4x2 127mm/38(60.4 dps, 5.01 km)

+4x4 40mm/60(63.6 dps, 3.51 km)

+6x2 40mm/60(67.8 dps, 3.51 km)

Upgrade path:

It’s a huge boost, to put it lightly. Poor gun arcs aside, the main armament is astounding, and considering those turrets will snap around at 10º/sec, you’re looking pretty good in a brawl. Yes, you lack torpedoes, but your main armament is overwhelming for tier VII, 203mm guns be damned. Now, the 8 rpm is not the maximum this class ever achieved technically, but the shell hoists on the Brooklyn could only manage this rate, so that’s the realistic maximum. And hey, that’s honstly fine, as that’s still 120 rounds per minute… True to her American routes, though, there’s not no torpedo armament, but you shouldn’t need that considering the damage this thing can output… and, given how tough she is, she should survive long enough to do it as well. Your AA is very powerful, although it doesn’t start out brilliantly. Long story short, your C-hull is actually the St. Louis, which is one of two Brooklyn’s built with a 4x2 5"/38 secondary battery as opposed to the 8x1 5"/25 of the other Brooklyn’s. So, your AA is very powerful, aside from the close-in 20mm armament, which in practical terms is fairly irrelevant to a ship’s ability to defend itself (unless built for AA), and isn’t even worth considering when it comes down to defending ships around it.

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

Phoenix_jz #6 Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:56 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

CL Line, Tier VIII: Cleveland:

A tier higher, we have a familiar face… that of the Cleveland, America’s tier VI cruiser… Only now, she’s tier VIII. So how does she differ from the tier VI version? Well, gone would be her survivability nerf. Once again, her citadel should be split and hard to hit. Her AA will be the fly-swatting Murder machine it’s always been… all in all, a similar ship, with one major change; un-nerfing the main armament. As it stands now, when fully upgraded, Cleveland’s four triple turrets turn at 5.5º/sec, and have a RoF of 7.5rpm, giving her a RoF of 90 rpm, and her turrets take 32.27 seconds to turn 180º.

If one were to go on a purely historical basis, her turrets should snap around at 10º/sec, lending an 18 second turning time for 180º, and a RoF of 10rpm, giving 120 rpm. 384,000 broadside AP dpm, anyone? A lot better than her current 288,000, and it’s much more usable considering your turrets turn almost twice as fast! Hell, that’s what these things were famous for, being able to run out of ammunition after twenty minutes of continuous firing.

Now, that’s not the historical introduction that I would normally put up, but I feel that needs to be said. Cleveland might not make as much sense at tier VIII until you realize she’s putting rounds out every 6 seconds, and her turrets have so much WD40 on them you could slip a Blue Whale through the barbettes.

And now, for your regularly schedules programming;

The Cleveland-class. We have Cleveland’s for days, guys. Cleveland’s for days. They were the most-produced class of cruiser that has ever existed, with twenty-seven of these ships completed to the original design, with another two finished as the modified Fargo-class. Nine more were finished as Independence-class light carriers, a total of thirty-eight Cleveland hulls of the original fifty-two planned! While some might say this is a case of quantity over quality, in the case of this light cruiser, the Americans simply said “F’ it, let’s go all-out!” and went for quality in quantity. The most numerous cruiser in the American arsenal as the war progressed (first Cleveland’s were only commissioned in mid-1942), despite the fact they arrived relatively late to the party, these things saw service everywhere. As stated above, I can’t risk going into detail about the service of these ships, as this class by itself would take up about 50% of that time up to 2018 XD

All in all, they certainly got their licks in, and these remarkably durable ships got knocked around quite a bit, be it from torpedoes, kamikazes, or mother nature… but not one was ever sunk.

Survivability:

11734-14464 tons

31700-36800 hitpoints

Similar deal to Brooklyn… we’re on the old Cleveland of lol-armor… though it is quite similar in thicknesses to that of Brooklyn’s armor scheme. Mercifully, the fore citadel area will be even smaller because she isn’t mounting three turrets forward, å la Japan’s heavies and Brooklyn.

Citadel:

Belt(s): Most of the ship’s length is protected by a 127mm thick belt, with the area protecting the machinery capped by bulkheads ranging from 127 to 51mm thick. The magazines, meanwhile, had extra belts, 51mm thick for the fore magazines, 120mm thick on the aft ones, capped by 93mm thick bulkheads.

Deck: 51mm

Armament:

-152mm Faces           -152mm

-76mm Sides

-32mm Rears

Secondary Turrets-

-32mm Faces

-25mm Sides

Superstructure:

Conning Tower-

Maneuverability:

Main Armament:

4x3 152mm/47 Mk.16

RoF: 10 rpm (6.0 second firing cycle)

Secondary Battery:

6x2 127mm/38 Mk.12

AA Battery:

6x2 127mm/38 Mk.12

-90.6 dps

-5.01 km

4x2 40mm/56 Mk.1/2

-45.2 dps

-3.51 km

13x1 20mm/70 Mk.4

-46.8 dps

-2.01 km

B-hull(Fargo):

-4x2 40mm/56(45.2 dps, 3.51 km)

-13x1 20mm/70(46.8 dps, 2.01 km)

+6x4 40mm/60(95.4 dps, 3.51 km)

+2x2 40mm/60(22.6 dps, 3.51 km)

+14x2 20mm/70(85.4 dps, 2.01 km)

Upgrade Path:

Can you guys say, “Monster?” If so, you can say Cleveland! Be afraid. Be very afraid. This thing will be a beast… and let’s not forget, slot 6 (5th module slot for cruisers) is now open for use at tier VIII… so, if one takes the concealment module, for example, coupled with camo… you’ve just dropped Cleveland’s detection range to about 11.6km… with concealment expert, that’s now 10.2km. Then again, one can always build with vigilance, the target acquisition module, or steering gear module, and go smoke-screen diving… I imagine there will be some very, very, salty Destroyers and RN cruisers after that. But, hey, you can always build as an AA platform and hang back swatting down aircraft next to your BBs, or dance around soaking enemy BBs with HE (with her RoF and fire chance, that’s about 14.4 potential fires per minute). She might not have the alpha of an 8in gun cruiser, but they don’t fire 12 shells every 6 seconds. She’s going to be one of the most versatile warships in the game, her only real drawbacks being her lack of torpedoes (typically American), and the poor gun arcs that will hurt her ability to hit smaller or faster maneuvering targets (also typically American).

Also, as a note; As many will have noticed, the B-hull has been labeled ‘Fargo.’

That is because this Cleveland’s B-hull is Fargo. Now, I know many people have Cleveland and Fargo as separate ships in different tiers… to them, I ask how? They are literally the same ship. Fargo is simply more compact, which helps survivability (would be a marginal improvement over Cleveland in-game), and AA firing arcs, which flat-out don’t exist in WoWs. So, no separate Fargo here, instead just a hull upgrade. All in all, you have a very powerful light cruiser that is potentially even more ridiculous now, given IFHE exists.

CL Line, Tier IX: Worcester:

Imagine if some giant waded into the Pacific, and picked up some unfortunate Atlanta. Next, it grabbed a Cleveland.  Then, it mashed the two ships together, with enough force to mesh them on the molecular level.

In reality, you’d get a mass of white-hot, twisted metal. But in our more figurative sense, what you would get from this marriage is the Worcester, aka, America’s Minotaur. The last real light cruiser of the USN, and the last all-gun cruiser ship period, she might not seem like much of an upgrade. She lacks those glorious American 5”/38 secondary guns, gains no more extra guns, and is only slightly durable… and there’s a half a knot speed increase.  Well, your turret placement might be detrimental, because you can no longer fire all your guns at a target directly ahead or behind you, can also dispersion won’t be as tight in-game (since the guns are more spread out). But here’s the thing. She’s an AA cruiser. Those 6” guns might seem to be the same as any other 6”/47… but they’re not. They’re DP guns with an autoloader. I did say American Minotaur, didn’t I? They were meant to take on the threats that the old 5” guns couldn’t deal with effectively, namely the last Axis weaponry of the war. For example, German guided bombs. They were also designed to be a lot more durable than previous classes.

Survivability:

14700-17997 tons

37200-43400 hitpoints

Her armor has been increased significantly, most geared towards aerial attacks. Her tonnage also lends hitpoints worthy of tier IX to X cruisers. On the flip side, your citadel will certainly be longer due to the spread-out nature of the main armament. The barbettes lose an inch of armor, but the deck gains an extra inch and a half or armor, alongside an inch-thick upper deck.,

Citadel:

Belt(s): Most of the ship’s length is protected by a 127mm thick belt, with the area protecting the machinery capped by bulkheads ranging from 127 to 51mm thick. The magazines, meanwhile, had extra belts, 51mm thick for the fore magazines, 127mm thick on the aft ones save for that by the No.4 magazine which was 51mm thick like that of the forward magazines, capped by 93mm thick bulkheads.

Deck: 89mm, with a 22-25mm upper deck

Armament:

-165mm Faces           -127mm

-76mm Sides

-76mm Rears

Secondary Turrets-

-32mm Faces

-25mm Sides

Superstructure:

Conning Tower-

Maneuverability:

Machinery: 120,000hp

Top Speed: 33kts

Main Armament:

6x2 152mm/47DP Mk.16

RoF: 12 rpm (5.0 second firing cycle)

Tr: 25º/sec (7.2 seconds to Traverse 180º)

AA Battery:

6x2 152mm/47 Mk.12

-108 dps – maybe? Less individual dps than Minotaur’s guns due to a lighter shell and lower RoF, but has an extra turret

-6.0 km

11x2 76mm/50 Mk.33

-306.9 dps

-5.01 km

2x1 76mm/50 Mk.34

-???  dps – I don’t know, we don’t have this single mount in game. I’d guess something like 32.9 dps

-5.01 km

6x2 20mm/70 Mk.24

-36.6 dps

-2.01 km

B-hull(Proposed Armament included 40mm guns and more 20mm guns, was not included):

+12x4 40mm/60(190.8 dps, 3.51 km)

+4x2 20mm/70(24.4 dps, 2.01 km)

Upgrade Path:

Holy. Crap. Those two words say it all. Flat-out, this is a no-go zone for aircraft. Given her gun layout, and gun type, she no doubt is best compared to the British tier X light cruiser, the Minotaur. Gun for gun; Minotaur’s armament is superior. Although it doesn’t have HE, it has the special AP, and the muzzle velocity isn’t phenomenal for either… but the American 6in autoloader only (only LOL) manages 12 rounds per minute, while the British 6 in gun can output 18.8 shells in that amount of time. However, the American cruiser manages an extra turret. So, what does that translate to? Worchester can let fly a storm of 144 rounds in a minute… but then again, Minotaur can far surpass that with 188 rounds per minute. In terms of AP, Minotaur is going to far surpass Worcester, but Worcester does have HE… just take a moment to consider… 12% fire chance… 144 rounds per minute… Oh, and before I forget. Your turrets turn at a speed of 25º/sec. That’s a 7.2 second period for them to turn 180º. Not quite Minotaur’s 37.96º/sec (4.74 second turn time), but still incredibly good.

Ok, seriously, when you salivate like that, it gets a little bit creepy. I know, I know; German sausages taste best when roasted. Be calm! Her armor is what you’ve been used to for a while now with USN light cruisers, but it’s still better than what Minotaur’s got… however, you’re just about the same size as Baltimore, so I’d imagine you get a detection range similar to her 12.6 km… but not anything like Minotaur’s 11.5 km, and you won’t have smokescreens either. Oh, and as always, you don’t have torpedoes… so close-range combat might not always be your best bet, but at 144 rounds per minute, You’re seriously going to mess up anything that gets to close for comfort.

In all honesty, she’s again going to be a jack-of-all trades type ship, being exceptional at AA, good at burning BBs, good at mutilating cruisers, and when it comes to destroyers… well, let’s put it like this. As a tier IX, she can take radar. Tier IX American radar lasts 35 seconds, and will detect anything within 9.45 km of your ship. Now, for most cruisers, this is annoying as that means only 2-3 salvoes worth of fire. For British cruisers, there’s the annoying habit of bouncy 6” AP on angled high-tier DDs.

Well, it’s a good thing that Worcester can pump out 84 HE rounds in that amount of time… So that’s only 184800 potential damage… *obvious understatement is obvious*

Now, she can’t match Minotaur, who beats her in raw firepower (insane RoF, traverse, with special AP + torpedoes), speed, maneuverability, stealth, hitpoints, and basically everything but armor and AA… although there is the fact Worchester can fire HE.

Ultimately, I think this should lead on to rejoin the Heavy cruiser line at tier X, where we see the familiar face of the Des Moines, who frankly is a very good upgrade from Worcester. Your rate of fire drops by 2 rounds per minute (reload only increases by a second), but the guns are ridiculously better, with far better damage, penetration, and (due to similar shell speeds {HE is actually a bit faster}) but heavier weight) better arcs. Your armor gets better, your speed won’t drop, but your stealth will get a bit worse, and unfortunately, due to the fact you’ve gone from 6in DP guns to Anti-Surface only 8in guns, your AA firepower will plummet. You do, however, get your glorious 5”/38’s back, so that’s something. This is sort of Ironic, as the 6” autoloaders are actually what paved the way for Des Moines’ 8” autoloaders.

There is one other option I found while putting this together, that I’ll mention now, even though I haven’t made my mind up on how much I wanna dig on this one… it would be to OP for tier X, I think… there was a plan to take these cruisers, and stick triple turrets on them. Yeah, that’s right, you heard me. 6x3, 18 guns… all DP. With a RoF of 20-25 rpm. Frankly, I don’t care if you stuck Pensacola’s (old) detection range on her… she’d be so stupidly OP, it wouldn’t matter. Even ignoring the armor, the ability to throw out 360-450 6” shells a minute on a target is just off the charts OP. Aircraft would be unable to touch this thing. NopeNopeNopeNopeNope.

CaptainMrEpic #7 Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

What about the New Hampshrine. 

Phoenix_jz #8 Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:01 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

So that brings us to an end, regarding the American Light Cruisers… but only for them. We still have a whole host of Heavy Cruisers to handle, and that’s what WoWs built the original (current) line from. In the current tree’s progression, we go Cleveland -> Pensacola -> New Orleans -> Baltimore -> Des Moines. However, I’m throwing Cleveland in a separate line, so obviously that’s got to be replaced by something… but what? Pensacola, no matter how you cut it, would be to OP for tier VI… but she was America’s first heavy cruiser. Well, fortunately real-life advantages and disadvantages don’t translate well into World of Warships, and thus we can stick the successor class to the Pensacola, the Northampton-class, at tier VI, because it would be worse. No joke.

CA Line, Tier VI: Northampton:

So, this is what I’m using as my tier VI CA. Her armor both increased and decreased over Pensacola’s, she got a lot lighter, and ultimately packed less firepower. She would, in WoWs, naturally be a weaker ship.

The Northampton-class was, as previously mentioned, a successor to the Pensacola-class, and in it’s design the Americans sought to create a more capable cruiser at less cost… and, unlike most of today’s efforts to make more capable but cheaper weaponry, actually didn’t become outrageously expensive, and on that front was a success. On improving combat capability… that is a more debatable subject, especially when one considers that many of the advantages offered over the Pensacola in this class of cruiser really isn’t reflected in a game like World of Warships. So, what were the advantages she held in real life? Well, the most noticeable difference was the previously mentioned lower cost and displacement. The most obvious way this was achieved was a reduction in the number of turrets. While the Pensacola came with ten 203mm guns in four turrets, Northampton gave up a turret for the sacrifice of only a single barrel, and had it’s firepower laid out in a more economical 3x3 A-B-Y setup. This change resulted in a drop of around 124 tons, obviously a huge advantage. So, where did the extra weight go? Well, in general it went to making the ship more durable when it came to compartmentalization, and improved seaworthiness. They also received hangers for their aircraft.

So how did the armor change? Well, it’s a give-and-take evolution. As with all American cruisers, even after the ‘Brooklyn revolution’ of hull design, the protection of the magazines and machinery spaces were separate considerations, and in these older classes of cruiser, all evolutions of the Omaha hull, magazines were afforded the superior protection to magazine spaces, which can lead to quite misleading interpretations on how well armored, or rather how poorly armored these ships were. For example, the Pensacola has a maximum of 102mm of armor. Sounds impressive, right? Well, that doesn’t really reflect itself when Pensacola is trying— and typically failing— to absorb punishment in-game. Well, that’s because it’s only on the sides of the magazine. The machinery is protected by a paltry 64mm of armor.

Northampton improved upon the protection of the machinery, raising the belt protection there from 64 to 76mm. They also aided the vertical protection of the magazines, increasing their deck armor from 45 to 51mm. The Barbettes were also increased from 19 to 38mm of thickness. However, they also dropped the protection of the magazines from 102 to 95mm, for what reason I don’t know.

Regardless, six of these ships were built, and half were lost during the war. During their careers, they showed a fantastic ability, if not to resist, than rather than endure, great amounts of punishment. The most famous of the class, Houston, served as part of the doomed ABDA fleet. She was finally sunk alongside HMAS Perth at the Battle of Sunda Strait, taking four torpedoes before finally sinking. Northampton herself was lost at Tassafaronga to two long-lance torpedoes, and Chicago took a total of six aerial torpedoes before herself being sunk after that battle of Rennell Island.

Survivability:

9006-11420 tons

26600-31100 hitpoints

Citadel:

Belt: 76mm along machinery, 95mm along magazines

Deck: 25mm over machinery, 51mm over magazines

-citadel spaced was closed by 64mm bulkheads, magazine and machinery spaces separated by 25mm bulkheads

Armament:

-64mm Faces            -37mm

-25mm Sides

-19mm Rears

Superstructure:

Conning Tower-

-32mm

Maneuverability:

Machinery: 107,000hp

Main Armament:

3x3 203mm/55 Mk.14

RoF: 4 rpm (15.0 second firing time)

Tr: 3.5º/sec (51.4 seconds to Traverse 180º)

Range: 15.7km? Pepsi’s max range

MV: 853mps

HE: 2,800

fc: 14%

AP: 4,600

Secondary Battery:

4x1 127mm/25 Mk.10/11/13

Range: 4.5 km

AA Battery:

4x1 127mm/25 Mk.10/11/13

-29.2 dps

-4.5 km

4x4 28mm/75 Mk.2 mod. 2

-27.2 dps

-3.09 km

8x1 12.7mm/90 M2 Browning

-28.0 dps

-1.2 km

B-hull:

-4x4 28mm/75

-8x1 12.7mm/90

+4x1 127mm/25(29.2 dps, 4.5 km)

+4x4 40mm/60(63.6 dps, 3.51 km)

+12x1 20mm/70 (43.2 dps, 2.01 km)

Upgrade Path:

So, the Northampton is a give and take over Pensacola, but I’d like you to keep in mind part of the reason she’s tiered below Pensacola has to do with Pensacola being a tad stronger after my renovation, and the way WoWs works.

So, first of all, she’s lighter, which means she’s bringing less hitpoints to the table than Pensacola. Her AA, in the top form I’ve given her, would we weaker as well (representing Louisville and Augusta circa 1943). Her armor isn’t much superior, and her turret traverse is historical, aka, quite poor. She does have a buff over many American guns, but this is something that will be universal to all USN 8” guns that this can apply to, aka, any and all 203mm/55 Mk. 14’s. The HE muzzle velocity. Why WG decided they’d have the HE muzzle velocity of later American guns, I don’t know... however, one thing is most certainly true about these guns, and that is that ALL the shells were fired at 853mps, not just the AP. And that helps them out significantly when dealing with DDs. There’s nothing more annoying, too me, than having to think when shooting at a maneuvering DD at range; “Do I go for better damage if I even can hit this thing with the HE, or do I go with overpen city via AP, where I can at least reliably peg the DD? ”

So, no more of that. Otherwise, the ship is a fairly standard USN CA, four rounds per minute of American 8” shells on a maneuverable platform with good AA, although the turrets, to offset that firepower at that tier, will be very sluggish. Expert Marksman will be a necessity, and to be honest, it’s one of the few instances in the game where Main Battery Modification 2 will be viable. Your firepower is so strong for the tier that the hit to RoF isn’t that bad, raising your reload to 15.75 seconds (3.8 rpm), which, stacked with EM, turns your turrets at 4.73º/sec (38 seconds to traverse 180º).

ckupf #9 Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

No H in Worcester.

Destroyer_Teruzuki #10 Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

I would have expected Worcester to be a tier 10 alongside DM given their position on a timeline.

Phoenix_jz #11 Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:10 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

‘Heavy’ CA Line

This is where American heavy cruisers get just a bit more complicated. So, where exactly does the difference in these lines lie? Well, the most obvious factor is durability. In the Heavy vs Light CA line, the Heavy line is the ships that had a bit more serious attention paid towards them in terms of armor protection. They actually have an ability to resist 203mm shells being thrown by enemy cruisers, whereas the Light line, with it’s much weaker armor, is far more susceptible to damage from cruiser and destroyer guns. This sub-line is far better focused on stand-off fights with other cruisers, and AA defense. Their AA in general is superior to that of the lighter sub-line, especially when one takes into account the unique factors of the light line.

CA Line (Heavy), Tier VII: Portland:

When it comes to heavier American heavy cruisers, Portland was the one to lead the charge. After building the previously discussed Northampton-class, American designers looked at their new ship, which had saved so much weight and come out so much lighter than the preceding Pensacola, and realized, “My god, we saved all this weight and didn’t take advantage of it,” all at a time when other navies were desperately trying to squeeze out as much combat potential from their 10,000 ton hulls as possible. Unless you’re Italy or Japan, in which case, cheat or just ignore the treaty (respectively).

Frankly, Eurobeat put it best when describing the USN’s motivation for building the Portland-class;

Essentially, they took a Northampton-class cruiser, and massively increased the armor (relatively speaking). For the first time ever, and American heavy cruiser would be somewhat resistant to 8” shellfire. The belt abreast the machinery shot up from a paltry 76mm to 127mm, and that abreast the magazines went from 95 to 146mm. The deck armor over the magazines had a much smaller increase, 51 to 54mm, but over the machinery spaces it went from just 25mm to 64mm, which was the thickness of the original belt armor in that area of the first American treaty cruiser. Basically, they made the first true American heavy cruiser. Only two were built, Indianapolis’s fate already being well known, while Portland should be better known among the WoWs community for one simple reason;

This machine sinks Poi.

During one the First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, she was hit by a torpedo from the Japanese destroyer Yüdachi, damaging her steering and forcing her to turn in circles for the rest of the night, å la Bismarck. During this time of steaming in a circle, she managed to fire on and set ablaze the Battleship Hiei. Later, that night (morning, I believe), she ran into the Yüdachi again. Because Yüdachi’s captain had ordered sails to be hoisted for moral after the destroyer USS Sterett (Benham-class) had immobilized her, the Americans had (mis)taken it as a sign of surrender, and where somewhat enraged as she continued to fight on despite (from their point of view) signaling her surrender. Yüdachi did actually, eventually, raise the white flag, but this was ignored by the captain of the Portland, who fired six salvoes into the ‘Demon of the Solomons’ before the destroyer finally rolled over and sank.

Now, what does Yüdachi have to do with poi? Well, it’s the catchphrase of the character in Kancolle, which is not a reference to the food, and nor is it saying ‘then’ (poi in Italian = then). It’s a word that’s used to signify uncertainty in what one is saying, a reference to the often unclear interpretation of exactly what happened that night at Guadalcanal (it’s not certain what destroyers were responsible for what events due to the chaotic nature of the night), and something of a flavor the developers of that game decided to give to the destroyer’s anthropomorphic character.

Thus, Yüdachi is the poi ship, and Portland sunk her. That’s right ladies and gentlemen, Portland sunk poi.

Survivability:

10258-12755 tons

29000-33600 hitpoints

Citadel:

Belt: 127mm along machinery, 146mm along magazines

Deck: 64mm over machinery, 54mm over magazines

-citadel spaced was closed by 64mm bulkheads, magazine and machinery spaces separated by 25mm bulkheads

Armament:

-64mm Faces            -38mm

-25mm Sides

-19mm Rears

Superstructure:

Conning Tower-

-32mm

Maneuverability:

Main Armament:

3x3 203mm/55 Mk.14

Tr: 5º/sec (36 seconds to Traverse 180º)

Secondary Battery:

8x1 127mm/25 Mk.10/11/13

AA Battery:

8x1 127mm/25 Mk.10/11/13

-58.4 dps

-4.5 km

4x4 28mm/75 Mk.2 mod. 2

-58.4 dps

-3.09 km

12x1 20mm/70 Mk.4

-43.2 dps

-2.01 km

B-hull:

-4x4 28mm/75

+4x4 40mm/60 (63.6 dps, 3.51 km)

+4x2 40mm/60 (45.2 dps, 3.51 km)

+5x1 20mm/70 (18.0 dps, 2.01 km)

Upgrade Path:

So, what we have here is a ship that is likely quite familiar to many, as only sister, the Indianapolis, already exists in-game, which gives us a good understanding of their durability and handling. There are differences, however. First and foremost, the AA is more powerful than that of Indy. The firepower is superior, because the HE travels at it’s historical 853mps, and not the lazy sub-orbital arc it does in-game. However, the turrets do not turn as fast as on Indy, although I have given them a similar a-historical buff that most of them give, in this case to 5º/sec as opposed to the historical 3.5º/sec. Portland lacks the radar of her sister, but comes with a hitpoint advantage, and most importantly, holds the edge of operating an extra slot for Defensive Fire, enabling her to run DF, Hydro, and a Catapult fighter all at the same time. Indy, but contrast, has to choose if it wants hydro or DF, and radar, or a fighter? 

She’s a relatively durable heavy cruiser best suited at providing AA escort, discouraging destroyers from coming too near friendly battleships, and engaging other cruisers at stand-off ranges with her superior AP, with enough armor to defend against AP shells from them. It’s a true, heavy multipurpose ship, and while other cruisers may have a better ability to dish out raw damage, Portland can do so more reliably (good shell speeds)… and she has another advantage, the true American flavor for their cruisers. She’s able to fill multiple roles. She can be both effective at countering enemy aircraft, while still retaining the hydro to detect enemy ships in smokescreens, or if a destroyer’s in the area, to alert you sooner to the presence of their torpedoes. It’s literally the ultimate divisionmate for a battleship. She’s an all-round solid ship, but if you like her, you’ll like what comes next even more…

CA Line (Heavy), Tier VIII: Wichita:

The Wichita was the last American Heavy Cruiser to be built prior to Word War II, and was by far the best of any of the heavy cruisers the United States had made up to this point. They featured an all-new hull, that of the Brooklyn-class light cruisers, with extra armor tacked on. Thus, Wichita became the most heavily armored in America’s arsenal, with the belt abreast the machinery reaching an unheard of 152mm (as far as American cruisers go), and likewise having 152mm thick bulkheads, thicker even that those of the Zara-class. The deck armor was now a standardized 57mm over all parts of the citadel. The newer hull also enabled Wichita to hit a maximum of 33 knots, despite having some 7000hp less than previous cruisers.

Wichita was more than just a leap forward in armor, however. Her armament also changed, adopting larger turrets that allowed the guns to be spaced out more, and subsequently became the first American Heavy Cruiser to be able to load and elevate her guns independently of each other. This, as well as their lower muzzle velocity, made the guns far more accurate than those of previous American cruisers. Also, contrary to Wikipedia’s insistence, these guns did not use the 152kg SHS shells, instead being equipped with the older 118kg shells found on prior warships.

Finally, her AA battery was a leap forward, for one reason: her secondaries. While Her predecessors, including the Brooklyn-class, had used the older 5”/25, Wichita used 5”/38’s. She mounted eight total, four in Mk.30 base ring mounts in a diamond-shaped pattern, and four Mk.24 pedestal mounts arranged two per side just aft of her funnels. The base ring mounts traverse, elevate, and load at much faster rate, making them by far superior to the pedestal mounts, although weight considerations limited exactly what Wichita could mount. Other than that, her AA battery was pretty much the standard spamming of 40mm and 20mm mounts American warships are known for.

Wichita ultimately, as America’s most powerful cruiser at the start of the war, saw quite a lot of service. The first part of her war lead her to escort convoys in the Atlantic and Artic, where she was involved with the debacle over convoy PQ.17. She was then sent to warmer waters in order to cover the Operation Torch landings. There she fought in the Battle of Casablanca, damaging several French destroyers, and the light cruiser Primauget. Her only damage was a hit from a French 7.6” shore battery that managed to penetrate her deck armor. After she was repaired, she was transferred to the Pacific. Whilst there, she mostly shelled shore targets and provided escort to carrier Task Forces. Some notable moments including taking a Japanese torpedo that fortunately failed to go off, and then partaking in the admittedly bizarre struggle for the Aleutian islands, where she took part in (and lost) the battle of the pips. Her last surface action came in the wake of the Battle of Cape Engaño, where she finished of the crippled light carrier Chiyoda, and then sunk the destroyer Hatsuzuki. Hatsuzuki was attempting to cover the rescuing of the sailors and airmen of the Japanese carriers sunk in the prior battle, and put up a very stubborn resistance in the face of Wichita and her accompanying cruisers. Wichita spent the rest of the war in the same role of AA escort and bombardment ship, then postwar was part of the occupying force in Japan. She was finally decommissioned and scrapped after the decision was made not to convert her to a Guided Missile Cruiser.

Survivability:

10589-14611 tons

29600-37100 hitpoints

Citadel:

Belt: 152mm along machinery, 102mm along magazines

Deck: 57mm over all citadel spaces

-citadel spaced was closed by 152mm bulkheads, magazine and machinery spaces separated by 152mm bulkheads

Armament:

-203mm Faces           -178mm

-95mm Sides

-38mm Rears

Superstructure:

Conning Tower-

Maneuverability:

Main Armament:

3x3 203mm/55 Mk.12

Tr: 5.3º/sec (34 seconds to Traverse 180º)

Range: 16.2km? N-O’s max range

MV: 823mps

Secondary Battery:

4x1 127mm/38 Mk.24

RoF: 12 rpm (5.0 second firing cycle)

4x1 127mm/38 Mk.30

AA Battery:

4x1 127mm/38 Mk.24

-32.0 dps

-5.01 km

4x1 127mm/38 Mk.30

-42.8 dps

-5.01 km

4x2 40mm/56 Mk.1/2

-45.2 dps

-3.51 km

12x1 20mm/70 Mk.4

-43.2 dps

-2.01 km

B-hull:

+4x4 40mm/60 (63.6 dps, 3.51 km)

+6x1 20mm/70 (21.6 dps, 2.01 km)

Upgrade path:

Well, Wichita. She’s a definite upgrade from the last tier, and she comes with all the shiney bonuses of a tier VIII. 25mm hull plating on the bow and stern, extra upgrade slots, and that all-important radar! She’s also faster, tougher, and boasts a comparatively godly AA battery, with the 5in/38 DP guns you’ve been wanting, as you’ve stared enviously at the light cruiser line. Well, you’ve got them now, so go ahead and make CV’s cry! After all, it would suck to have to play a tier VIII AA cruiser who’s long-range AA only has a base range of 4.2 km, wouldn’t it? Well, who would be so crazy as to force you to do that? Certainly not me! The turret traverse is also slightly better, allowing you to reach a full 6º/second via EM. Your turrets are also a hell of a lot more durable… but there is a slight downside, the lower muzzle velocity. Instead of the older 853mps, you’re down to 823mps. USN logic, I can’t help it… But hey, it’s a small price to pay for all the other improvements you’ve gained!

Edited by Phoenix_jz, 24 March 2017 - 12:40 AM.

Phoenix_jz #12 Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

‘Light’ CA Line

This is where it gets really interesting. This is a line that… well, basically, it’s the line we already have. Which is a rather… weak one. WG decided to patch it by slapping a big old RoF buff on some of the ships… and I really don’t agree with that. I felt like there were better, more creative methods of fixing the cruisers… because to be honest, American cruisers didn’t struggle in their ability to do damage because of their rate of fire… it was gun arcs, and survivability. Now, that was fixed rather easily in Pensacola with a simple concealment buff.  New Orleans, Baltimore, and (absurdly, imo) Des Moines, meanwhile, received RoF buffs. Now, American 8” guns across the board up to and excluding the auto-loading Des Moines, and all are rated at a maximum of 4 rounds per minute.

But they could do more. With a method known as cue-balling. American sailors were able to effectively raise the maximum, balls-to-the-wall rate of fire up to an incredible (for an 8” gun) 6 rounds per minute. Essentially, they used a rammer like a baseball bat, so America’s pastime meant that the rammer didn’t have to extend all the way forward…. Which would mean it would have to retract all the way back… and this sped up the firing cycle by a massive amount. American 8” guns typically fired at about 3 rounds per minute, but could reach a maximum of 4 rounds per minute while following the safe and standard (and probably congressionally approved) loading method. But using the fun method, warships like Houston managed to pump out 6 shells out of a barrel every minute.

One suddenly understands why the USN was a dry navy…

Well, that’s why I’ve decided to give this line of lighter heavy cruisers a unique consumable. As with all American cruisers past tier VI in my rework, they all have that extra slot for DF. These ‘Light’ Heavy Cruisers would be able to swap out that DF in that slot for the consumable ‘Cue-balling’. What’s that, and how does it work? Great question, glad you asked.

Cue-balling-

-Pensacola, New Orleans, Baltimore

-Increases RoF by 50%

-Duration: 60 seconds

-Cooldown:  240 seconds

-Charges: 3

Basically, this enables your USN CA to go into a minute-long burst-fire mode, where you run around with a 10 second reload. Then, for the next four minutes, you’re back down to regular RoF.

Essentially, this is one of those consumables that is not just a ‘I’m 10 km from another cruiser, engage cue-balling’ kind of thing. This is a, ‘I’m going to round this corner and run into an enemy cruiser, I need to pump out as much DPM as possible’ and charge in pumping 54 shells in a minute as opposed to the normal 36.

American cruisers lack that point-blank range high-alpha strike ability of any other cruiser line in the game, with their lack of torpedoes. The idea of this is to fix that.

So let us begin…

CA Line (Light), Tier VII: Pensacola:

The Pensacola is the first class of heavy cruiser produced in the United States, and was developed from the Omaha hull. They were heavily armed, with their 10x 8” guns, in their unusual arrangement with the triples superfiring over the twins. They were significantly better armored when compared to the Omaha… but the armor was still pretty bad, with the belt thinning to a mere 64mm over the machinery…

The ship saw quite a bit of action over the war, Pensacola serving across the pacific in carrier TF’s as AA escort, until she took a torpedo in her first surface action at Tassafaronga. Despite the big ‘old hole in her portside, she was able to sail to friendly waters, on fire all the time. Which was like 12 hours. Wargaming, when can my Pensacola be on fire for 12 hours and not sink? Well, that was the highlight of her career, as the rest of it was spend acting as AA escort, and pounding shore targets. Her career ended as a nuclear target at Bikini Atoll.

Survivability:

9097-11512 tons

31900-34300 hitpoints

Citadel:

Belt: 65mm along machinery, 102mm along magazines

Deck: 25mm over machinery, 45mm over magazines

Armament:

-64mm Faces            -19mm

-25mm Sides

-19mm Rears

Superstructure:

Conning Tower-

-32mm

Maneuverability:

Main Armament:

2x3, 2x3 203mm/55 Mk.14

Secondary Battery:

8x1 127mm/25 Mk.10/11/13

AA Battery:

8x1 127mm/25 Mk.10/11/13

-58.4 dps

-4.5 km

4x4 28mm/75 Mk.2 mod. 2

-58.4 dps

-3.09 km

8x1 20mm/70 Mk.4

-28.8 dps

-2.01 km

B-hull:

-4x4 28mm/75

+6x4 40mm/60 (95.4 dps, 3.51 km)

+12x1 20mm/70 (43.2 dps, 2.01 km)

Upgrade Path:

The B-hull is Pensacola in 1944. Basically, what you end up with is a ship similar to the existing Pensacola, although with inferior close-range AA… which doesn’t mean much of anything. You could just play Pensacola much in the same way she’s played now, although she’d be better as despite the drop in 20mm cannons, because 4.5km long-range dps, and 853mps HE. You’d be able to run both hydro and DF at the same time, making you a royal pain in the bum to attack with torpedo bombers, and a great escort. Go full AA build, park next to a BB with weak AA, and farm aircraft.

Or, build for stealth and surface actions, forsake the DF, pick up Cue-Balling, and go diving into smokescreens after Belfast’s and destroyers. Round the corner of an island and surprise some poor cruiser that thinks they’re being stealthy with a ton of AP. Or, a low-health battleship. Perhaps there’s a destroyer that needs killing. Load the HE, and trigger the Cue-balling! Other than that, it’s the same old Pensacola you’ve always known.

CA Line (Light), Tier VIII: New Orleans:

The New Orleans was the last full class of cruiser built for the US Navy before WWII, and was the final evolution of what had begun life as the Omaha hull. It would be more accurate to describe her as evolving from the Northampton-class cruisers as opposed to the preceding Portland-class, although the Portland had a great degree on influence on this design. American designers were happy with Portland’s better protection, but wanted a better, more concentrated layout, and also moved to a preference of having the ship’s machinery areas better protected than the magazines, as the opposite had been true up to this point, and this change also went into the Brooklyn hull. The hull was shrunk down, and the layout of the machinery was re-arranged in a way that enabled the belts to get smaller, and yet thicker, and not make the design more vulnerable to enemy fire. The turrets were also better protected.

Being the USN’s best class of heavy cruiser going into WWII (as Wichita was a single ship), these ships saw heavy, heavy action, and paid the price for it. Out of the six ships built, three were sunk, all at the infamous Battle of Savo Island (Astoria, Quincy, and Vincennes). New Orleans is probably best known for the picture of her just after the Battle of Tassafaronga, where her bow was blown off by a Japanese torpedo, losing everything fore of the ‘B’ turret. Minneapolis had a similar wound, but only fore of the ‘A’ turret. San Francisco is best known for her actions at the Battle of Guadalcanal, where she accidentally opened fire on the Atlanta, pummeling the fragile cruiser with her 8” guns, scoring some 19 hits. She later fired on both Japanese battleships present, first Hiei, and then Kirishima. While engaging Kirishima, a Japanese light cruiser and destroyer joined the fray, and while San Francisco’s secondary batteries engaged the ships while her main guns were otherwise occupied, but were quickly silenced by the Japanese warships. The command center was knocked out and re-established in different parts of the ship three times, before the Japanese finally ceased fire and withdrew. Incredibly, although the cruiser had taken 45 hits, none went below water, or into the ship’s vital areas, instead shredding the superstructure and upper hull. She was able to withdraw under her own power, and survived the war as a whole, becoming the third-most decorated American ship of WWII. It’s interesting to note that of the top ten most decorated American ships of the war, three are the New Orleans-class cruisers that survived the war, San Francisco being 3rd highest with 17 battle stars and a Presidential Unit Citation, New Orleans 5th with another 17 battle stars, and Minneapolis 6th with 16 battle starts.

Survivability:

10136-12463 tons

30400-35400 hitpoints

Citadel:

Belt: 127mm along machinery, 102mm along magazines

Deck: 57mm over all citadel spaces

-citadel spaced was closed by 37mm bulkheads, magazine and machinery spaces separated by 76mm bulkheads

Armament:

-203mm Faces            -127mm

-95-38mm Sides

-38mm Rears

Superstructure:

Conning Tower-

-127mm

Maneuverability:

Top Speed: 32.7kts

Main Armament:

3x3 203mm/55 Mk.14

Secondary Battery:

8x1 127mm/25 Mk.10/11/13

AA Battery:

8x1 127mm/25 Mk.10/11/13

-58.4 dps

-4.5 km

6x4 40mm/60 Mk.2

-95.4 dps

-3.51 km

16x1 20mm/70 Mk.4

-57.6 dps

-2.01 km

B-hull:

-16x1 20mm/70

+14x2 20mm/70 (85.4 dps, 2.01 km)

Upgrade Path:

So, very similar to the New Orleans we already have, but with lower hitpoints, slightly slower turrets, less 20mm cannons (which are useless anyways), and a slightly higher speed, by .2 knots. Doesn’t sound like much of an improvement, huh? Well, that’s because, as a tier VIII, we get access to all those fun new modules, and consumables. After all, you now get radar to replace your catapult fighter… and you can still equip the unique ‘Cue-Balling’ consumable to spike your RoF. Imagine that, pairing, hydro, radar, and ‘Cue-Balling.’

You’ll be scaring quite a few destroyers and cruisers by doing that. The Brits will dislike you heavily, along with anyone else who likes camping in smoke. Do keep in mind, your HE is, unlike on Wichita, travelling at 853mps.

Go ahead. Reach out and touch somebody. Stroke little destroyers with HE, through six salvoes in the span of only a minute.  Just like Pensacola before you, you could build for an AA-escort role, and an early torpedo spotter. Make carriers loathe you with a burning passion, even if the Wichita’s 5”38’s make her better suited to the task, not to mention the greater 40mm armament. Or, as Pensacola did, use your hydro, radar, concealment (yay for module slot 6!), and burst-RoF to go smoke-screen spelunking.  Make them afraid! Make them very afraid!

Edited by Phoenix_jz, 24 March 2017 - 01:06 AM.

Phoenix_jz #13 Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:21 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

‘Light’ and ‘Heavy’ CA lines rejoin at tier IX

CA Line, Tier IX: Baltimore:

The largest class of heavy cruisers (in numbers built) ever to be built, the Baltimore-class was the successor to the thoughts that went into the Wichita design, and like every American cruiser after the Brooklyn, and evolution of the Brooklyn hull. They were the counterpart to the Cleveland’s, the heavy cruisers of a new generation of the navy, that of the 1940s, warships that were built to be quality in quantity, and were much larger and heavier than previous heavy cruisers. They were also a lot more capable, swapping over to 8” SHS rounds for their AP armament, using a hefty Anti-Aircraft battery centered around a full six twin 5”/38 mounts, as well as an incredible twelve quad 40mm mounts for a massive forty-eight barrels of mid-range mayhem. 20mm cannons don’t matter, but there were plenty of those, too. The armor was also powerful, more along the lines of Wichita than their predecessors, and the ship was a full 33-knot cruiser. They didn’t see a terrible amount of action in WWII, arriving too late to the party… no surface action was ever fought by them in the war, although Canberra was crippled by an aerial torpedo right before the Battle of Leyte Gulf, and the Pittsburgh lost much of her bow in a typhoon… hilariously, the bow stayed afloat, and was towed back to an American base. Sadly, it was scrapped. Most of the cruisers were scrapped in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s, although five of the ships got an extra breath of life as conversions to Guided Missile Cruisers, but were scrapped in the late ‘70s and mid ‘80s, bringing an end to the Baltimore class.

Survivability:

14472-17031 tons

37400-42700 hitpoints

Citadel:

Belt: 152mm along machinery, 76mm along magazines

Deck: 65mm over all citadel spaces

-citadel spaced was closed by 140mm (fore) and 127mm (aft) bulkheads, magazine and machinery spaces separated by 152mm bulkheads

Armament:

-203mm Faces            -178mm

-83-38mm Sides

-38mm Rears

Superstructure:

Conning Tower-

Roof: 76mm

Sides: 152mm

Maneuverability:

Main Armament:

3x3 203mm/55 Mk.15

MV: 823mps (HE), 762mps (AP)

AP: 5,000

Secondary Battery:

6x2 127mm/38 Mk.32

AA Battery:

6x2 127mm/38 Mk.32

-90.6 dps

-5.01 km

12x4 40mm/56 Mk.1/2

-190.8 dps

-3.51 km

24x1 20mm/70 Mk.4

-86.4 dps

-2.01 km

B-hull:

-12x4 40mm/56(190.8 dps, 3.51 km)

-24x1 20mm/70(86.4 dps, 2.01 km)

+10x2 76mm/50(297 dps, 5.01 km)

Upgrade Path:

Well… meet the new Baltimore, all-round more capable than the old one. Now, this is where you take the best of the American CA lines, and melt them together. You get the superior AA and armor of one of the lines, and add it to the Ace of the other line… You’ve got a glorious AA battery stock, and you can stick the ‘Cue-Balling’ consumable on too… and then, of course, there’s the B-hull. This is how you compete with Worcester, and get hilarious AA firepower. All your mid-range and close-range AA is stripped away and replaced with ten twin 76mm/50 mounts… that was a real-life modification they gained in the 1950s. Yes, Russia, we see your 1950s cruiser and raise you one refurbished 1940’s cruiser.

Hey, don’t look at me like that! WG has always said USN Cruisers were supposed to be the AA ships of the game. I’m simply giving them the means to that end, without even touching fictionalized armaments!

Anyways, you get how this works. Either you play as, tier-for-tier, one of the most godlike AA ships in the game (DF), or you just go ham hunting down enemy cruisers and destroyers. You can’t be as aggressive as you once were, perhaps, but that’s ok. It’s tier IX, and you’re a cruiser. Keep in mind, you’re also able to still hang-back as an AA ship, and do well, even stock. Your stock AA armament is essentially the same as a fully upgraded Baltimore now, except you get an extra 20mm cannon.

Also, it’s important to note that you’re a choice between bad velocity, with high pen and damage, or solid velocity with lower pen and less damage. In this case, the guns are not about throwing away velocity for the only reasonable choice. You can still use that 823mps AP with the stock guns, although sadly the HE is going to be same sucky 823mps it is with the 762mps SHS AP upgrade option. However, neither has a RoF advantage. That’s balanced out by the ‘Cue-balling’ skill.

Heavy and Light Cruiser lines rejoin at tier X

Tier X: Des Moines:

The ultimate American heavy cruiser class, and most definitely the most powerful ship of its type to serve with any Navy ever. Des Moines is best known for it’s defining feature, and that is its auto loading guns, monsters that unleash ten 8” shells in a minute. Laid down in the last year of WWII, only three were built, commissioned in 1948 and 1949. Two, Des Moines herself and the Salem, were decommissioned in the later ‘50s and early ‘60s, but the Newport News continued to serve in the US Navy until the mid ‘70’s, operating in fire-support role off of Vietnam. She even continued to operate briefly after her #2 turret was badly damaged (and never repaired). Incredibly, these cruisers lasted beyond that, as she was only scrapped in 1993, and Des Moines was around until only 10 years ago, as she was scrapped in 2007! The Salem, meanwhile, is still around, as a museum ship in Massachusetts, the only heavy cruiser preserved in the world.

Survivability:

17255-20934 tons

50,600 hitpoints

Citadel:

Belt: 152mm

Deck: 95mm over entire belt, with an additional 25mm belt above that

-citadel spaced was closed by 127mm bulkheads, with another four compartmentalizing the citadel spaces

Armament:

-203mm Faces            -178mm

-90-51mm Sides

-38mm Rears

Superstructure:

Conning Tower-

-165-140mm

Maneuverability:

Machinery: 120,000hp

Main Armament:

3x3 203mm/55 Mk.16

RoF: 10 rpm (6.0 second firing time)

MV: 823mps (HE), 762mps (AP)

AP: 5,000

Secondary Battery:

6x2 127mm/38 Mk.32

AA Battery:

6x2 127mm/38 Mk.32

-90.6 dps

-5.01 km

12x2 76mm/50 Mk.33

-334.8 dps

-5.01 km

12x2 20mm/70 Mk.4

-73.2 dps

-2.01 km

Well, there’s really not much to say, Des Moines is the normal Des Moines. No ‘Cue-Balling’ to be had here (but yes, still the extra slot for DF).

However, there are two things I’d like to point out.

-First, the RoF is 10rpm. None of this ‘RoF buff for Des Moines’ business. She didn’t need it, and it doesn’t fix what’s wrong with her. So none of this 5.5 second reload nonsense.

-Second, the actual fix she needs… You see all that side of the ship, above the belt? All covered in 27mm of armor?

Yeah, well, we make that all uniform with other tier X cruisers as well, 30mm. That way you can angle, and actually bounce 406/420mm shells from your side, instead of just being citadeled at every angle. The American heavy cruisers are advertised as being heavily armored… so let’s actually make them resistant to enemy fire in some way. The extra 3mm of armor will make a huge difference in its ability to survive when angled. Obvious, a broadside Des Moines will be just as easy to citadel as it always has been for BBs. That doesn’t involved autobounce angles, and thus, ovepen mechanics.

And, to be clear, this is just the hull area, what’s over the belt. The bow and stern can stay at 27mm. Des Moines needs to be more durable, not invulnerable XD

Well, that’s my American CA tree. It’s taken an awful long time for me to go from starting to finishing it, nevermind actually posting it… oh god, that’ll be was a nightmare… oh well. When you’re reading this, know the hard part’s well and over. Oh boy…

Share any feedback you want, if there’s something you don’t agree with, don’t shy away from criticism.  I’m a big boy, I can handle it!

Happy Hunting!

RivertheRoyal #14 Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:24 AM

Captain

• Members

Next time, you might want to go ahead and make a bunch of blank comments on the post, reserving them for your space. That would keep people from commenting in the middle. 

Sorry about that.....

Phoenix_jz #15 Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:26 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 23 March 2017 - 07:24 PM, said:

Next time, you might want to go ahead and make a bunch of blank comments on the post, reserving them for your space. That would keep people from commenting in the middle. 

Sorry about that.....

No problem, no harm done. That's actually a really good idea, I wish I'd thought of that! :D

RedSeaBear #16 Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Player takes critical hit from massive wall of text. 

Survives and would do it again. 

I really enjoyed reading this and I would gladly play several of these ships. Sadly I stop playing the USN cruiser line at Pensacola, didn't see anything interesting in the higher tier ships. But several of the ships you've added look like fun. 

But I lost it laughing at the Cue-Balling, and this is why we don't let the sailors drink. 

:D

Take all my upvotes.  

~Admiral of the Sinksalot Fleet~

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Make Super Containers Great Again

Phoenix_jz #17 Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:11 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostRedSeaBear, on 23 March 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

Player takes critical hit from massive wall of text. 

Survives and would do it again. 

I really enjoyed reading this and I would gladly play several of these ships. Sadly I stop playing the USN cruiser line at Pensacola, didn't see anything interesting in the higher tier ships. But several of the ships you've added look like fun. 

But I lost it laughing at the Cue-Balling, and this is why we don't let the sailors drink. 

:D

Take all my upvotes.  

Well, i suppose it answers the question of that old song... 

I can almost imagine how it might've played out on an American ship...

"What shall we do with a drunken sailor, oh what shall we do with a drunken sailor...?"

"Make him a gunner's mate, sir!"

"Brilliant idea, Lieutenant!"   :trollface:

crzyhawk #18 Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:20 AM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View PostDestroyer_Teruzuki, on 23 March 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

I would have expected Worcester to be a tier 10 alongside DM given their position on a timeline.

Worcester is not good enough to be a T10

Destroyer_Teruzuki #19 Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:23 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View Postcrzyhawk, on 23 March 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

Worcester is not good enough to be a T10

Looks like an American Minotaur to me, +1 turret.

CaptainMrEpic #20 Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Alaska?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users