Sunk by bots

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

IcyThor #1 Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Last night I got sunk TWICE by bots in Co-op games.  I have only been playing a few days and was using Co-op to sharpen my shooting skills.  I thought the bots were programmed to be a nuisance, hitting me occasionally.  Last night they swarmed me like hungry mosquitoes.  That's when I started working on evasion skills as well.  Maybe, the bots knew I was gaining more experience so they did a better job against me?

Danno_ #2 Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

The bots have been increasing their skills with each patch. No free rides in co-op.

Lert #3 Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

You're ascribing a lot more intelligence to bots than they have. They're just programmed to drive forward and shoot at what's lit, prioritizing destroyers. That's all.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

Bill_Halsey #4 Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostLert, on 23 March 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

You're ascribing a lot more intelligence to bots than they have. They're just programmed to drive forward and shoot at what's lit, prioritizing destroyers. That's all.

What they lack in intelligence, they make up in sharpshooting skills. If they can't sink you, they will attempt to ram you. My advice is to run the moment you sight them and start shooting. They will follow you like a dog after a treat.

Elessar_warrior #5 Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

The bots cheat. Try to play a torp boat as i done once. They ALWAYS point the bow of the ship to you if you lock the target, dont matter if you are spotted or not.

awiggin #6 Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

Skynet is learning......

LadyJess #7 Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

Ensign

• Members

The part about bots targeting DD is correct. I've tested this and when i was 13km away from a bot and friendly ships were within 2km of this bot, the bot picked my ship as the target and ignored the closer ships. How does this figure into the bot program thinking?

There is something hidden in the bot programming.

alexf24 #8 Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

Captain

• Members

Bots cheat in avoiding torpedoes. That said, they are stupid and easy to beat at lower tiers.

They push relentlessly and do not shoot/torp into smoke.

At higher tiers (starting at T7) they become strong and know how to shoot and cit you. AT T1-T5 they are very predictable.

They like to ignore what they were doing (even capping) when they see a DD and they will do a conga line to follow.

Friendly (green) bots know where they reds are at the beginning. If you want to find them early, just follow them. They have this annoying custom of ramming each other and committing suicide early.

Edited by alexf24, 23 March 2017 - 06:39 PM.

I shoot an arrow in the air, where it lands I do not care, I get my arrows wholesale -- Curly Howard (with a wink to Longfellow)

TTK_Aegis #9 Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostElessar_warrior, on 23 March 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

The bots cheat. Try to play a torp boat as i done once. They ALWAYS point the bow of the ship to you if you lock the target, dont matter if you are spotted or not.

Easy to counter:
Target
Line up the torp shot
X to break target
Fire

Unless the bot was going to turn anyway following its pre-determined path, or someone else fires torps at it without doing this trick (and therefore triggers an evasion) the bot will sail right into your torps every time. 

Longer explanation:
The AI knows when you hit the fire button on torps and the ship targeted at the time has a chance to evade right then and there. If you fire with no target, it won't evade. By "chance" to evade on launch, you might notice this almost never happens at low tier and almost always does at high tier. This is because each time you fire a torp at a targeted bot, it does a little dice roll behind the scenes to see if it notices. The higher tier the bot, the more likely it is to notice. 

Stauffenberg44 #10 Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostTTK_Aegis, on 23 March 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

Easy to counter:
Target
Line up the torp shot
X to break target
Fire

Unless the bot was going to turn anyway following its pre-determined path, or someone else fires torps at it without doing this trick (and therefore triggers an evasion) the bot will sail right into your torps every time. 

Longer explanation:
The AI knows when you hit the fire button on torps and the ship targeted at the time has a chance to evade right then and there. If you fire with no target, it won't evade. By "chance" to evade on launch, you might notice this almost never happens at low tier and almost always does at high tier. This is because each time you fire a torp at a targeted bot, it does a little dice roll behind the scenes to see if it notices. The higher tier the bot, the more likely it is to notice. 

Hey maybe I will finally try Coop after all to explore this.

A toast--to our ships at sea !

AspiringCodger #11 Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

View PostLadyJess, on 23 March 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

The part about bots targeting DD is correct. I've tested this and when i was 13km away from a bot and friendly ships were within 2km of this bot, the bot picked my ship as the target and ignored the closer ships. How does this figure into the bot program thinking?

I wonder if there's a class system built in.  Like cruisers will prioritize DDs and BBs will prioritize cruisers.  I've had BBs switch their focus from a DD within a few km to me in my Atlanta at 15km on several occasions.

DingBat #12 Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

If you want some hilarity, try playing a co-op game in a Kharabovsk. ALL the enemy have the range to shoot at you if they see you, and they WILL do so. 

It's an extreme dodge simulator.

Sotaudi #13 Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostLert, on 23 March 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

Lert, you are largely correct, but don't sell them short, either.  It is a bit more complicated than that.

They will tend to move forward until someone is sighted (and they likely use a form of the Radio Position Finding captain skill because they will tend to know the general direction of where the closest or last remaining player is).  Once one or more people are sighted, they have targeting priorities which are based on proximity and health.  The closest, lowest health target will generally get top priority, which is why DDs tend to be prioritized.  Because they all use the same targeting AI, they also tend to focus fire better than players.  However, they will change focus from a low health target once it gets far enough away that another ship, even one with higher health, gets close enough.

There are other factors as well.  For instance, once they get close enough, they don't just drive in straight lines.  They will make course changes, which leads a lot of people to accuse WG of programming it so they know when they launch torpedoes.  In reality, they just are doing what players should be doing, changing course periodically to avoid torpedoes they should assume are already coming at them.

They also predict target impact points by taking the player's course and speed into account.  This leads a lot of people to accuse them of using "aim hax."  In reality, if they did not do that, they would just be firing randomly in some general direction of a ship and never hitting anything.  Again, it is just doing what a player should be doing, aiming where it thinks the target will be when the shells land.  As with alleged "aim bots" in PvP (or just players who aim well), this means they are fairly accurate against players who do not frequently employ the counter WASD hack.  It also makes them especially dangerous when more than one of them are shooting at you, which is almost always the case because, as mentioned, they all employ the same targeting logic.

I am not saying that bots are not predictable or not easier in general than players.  The difference in the average win rate in Coop vs. PvP is proof enough of that.  However, neither are they just driving in straight lines waiting to die.  I hear "You are your team's last hope," way too often for that to be the case.

Edited by Sotaudi, 23 March 2017 - 07:44 PM.

Cruiser_Kumano #14 Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostAspiringCodger, on 23 March 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

I wonder if there's a class system built in.  Like cruisers will prioritize DDs and BBs will prioritize cruisers.  I've had BBs switch their focus from a DD within a few km to me in my Atlanta at 15km on several occasions.

It might be carried over from the Rock, Paper, Scissors meta in the past. 

Edited by Cruiser_Kumano, 23 March 2017 - 07:35 PM.

Computer Specs

Sotaudi #15 Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostLadyJess, on 23 March 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

They target based on health and proximity, not just proximity.  In that same circumstance, a really low health battleship will take priority over a healthy DD closer in given the right mix of health and proximity.  As to the "thinking," it is no different than what players do.  You eliminate the easy to kill targets first to reduce the number of guns shooting at you.

DingBat #16 Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostSotaudi, on 23 March 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

They target based on health and proximity, not just proximity.  In that same circumstance, a really low health battleship will take priority over a healthy DD closer in given the right mix of health and proximity.  As to the "thinking," it is no different than what players do.  You eliminate the easy to kill targets first to reduce the number of guns shooting at you.

In my experience, that's not the way the bots function. They prioritize destroyers over everything else, regardless of range or threat.

LadyJess #17 Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostAspiringCodger, on 23 March 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

About 75% of the time the very 1st ship that shoots at a bot, all the bots will target and follow that ship. If it is a DD they will follow and track that DD no matter where the DD goes 100% of the time.

AspiringCodger #18 Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

View PostLadyJess, on 23 March 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

About 75% of the time the very 1st ship that shoots at a bot, all the bots will target and follow that ship. If it is a DD they will follow and track that DD no matter where the DD goes 100% of the time.

I'm talking more about later in the match.  If I remember, I'll try to find a replay when I get home.  It is not uncommon for BBs to completely ignore short range DDs and target long range cruisers.

Shadeylark #19 Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

just like players, except players are programmed to ignore destroyers.

Cpt_Cupcake #20 Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostTTK_Aegis, on 23 March 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

Easy to counter:
Target
Line up the torp shot
X to break target
Fire

​Surprisingly, I use that tactic in randoms...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users