Torpedo Hit Ratio

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

KalishniKat #1 Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:19 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

What is a decent torpedo hit ratio? Because I swear I can't hit anything no matter how hard I practice and try. I've got an 11% with Gaede and most of my kills have been by torpedoes but it seems more dumb luck that anything else. The torpedo lead seem useless as those torps will inevitably miss. My follow ups if I vary the angle may hit, but most of the time, in situations that seem like a perfect scenario the BB just turns a little and is unscathed. I guess there something to it that my feeble game playing abilities just can't grasp. 

BrushWolf #2 Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:27 AM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

You are right in the ballpark on your torpedo hit rate. The only way to be certain of increasing your hit rate is to get closer to the target which has its own drawbacks.

Ich lasse mir doch nicht mein Schiff unter dem Arsch wegschießen. Feuererlaubnis! (I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!) Ernst Lindemann Captain KMS Bismarck

Wulfgarn #3 Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:28 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

I honestly don't pay attention to it. You can use torps for other purposes other than actually hitting something. That'll throw that figure all outta wack.

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee.. THANKS SANTAKonig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

pikohan #4 Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostWulfgarn, on 20 March 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

I honestly don't pay attention to it. You can use torps for other purposes other than actually hitting something. That'll throw that figure all outta wack.

This.

On the flip side you can be a low-to-mid tier Russian DD and never shoot torps unless you're guaranteed a hit, and that'll throw the numbers off the other way.

ckupf #5 Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:35 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

Like MB hit ratio it depends on the ship, 8% is good in the shiratsuyu but awful in the Scharnhorst. 11% on the Gaede sounds pretty good, there are plenty of websites that can give you ship averages.

Excield #6 Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:42 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

<a href='http://i.imgur.com/wSn44xD.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/wSn44xD.png</a>

Destroyer_Teruzuki #7 Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:11 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

Normally around 8-12%.

Each volley of torps (from the ships I play) is normally 8-10 in total, so even landing two torps is considered a "good" torpedo salvo. 

_WaveRider_ #8 Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

BBs have high hit rates for torpedoes. I think some BB player complained a while back that they didn't have any torpedoes so WG nerfed everyone else's and gave them high hit ratio ones!

WG have even discontinued the 2 ships (DD) whose hit ratio was higher; BB must be awesome!

Only joking! :P

Sventex #9 Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:36 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

To be honest, with the tech tree torpedoes, the best I can do is 2 torp hits per spread, but most of the spreads miss, even when fired on a broadside BB 5.5km away.  The only exception to this is the Kamikaze R which has the faster torps, where sometimes I can get 3-5 hits per spread.

"The world is not beautiful; and that, in a way, lends it a sort of beauty."

MrDeaf #10 Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

Vice Admiral

• Members

yeah, honestly, scoring anything higher than 10% THR is difficult, unless you are in yolo range, or you are a good manual drop CV player.

You can get a 4/4 hit against broadside battleships, but the torps can't travel any further than 5km, otherwise they spread out too much.

What is the Torpedo Reload Booster and does it have a historical basis? http://forum.worldof...could-poses-it/

Sign me up for KTKM

Quaffer #11 Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

Keep in mind that in any given spread of torps, even when fired on narrow spread, the torps may be more than a ship length apart at their range limit. So if you fire from a three tube launcher, you have two misses, from a four tube launcher, three misses. The closer you are the more torpedoes in your spread can hit.

You can increase your density by changing your aim point from one launcher to the next so that they interleave. But the math still means most from a given launcher will miss.

Firing from close in will give you much higher hit rates. But as you will probably be sunk earlier you won't get as many launches in a battle. Only you can decide if a target is worth trading your ship for. There is a reason destroyers frequently do not see the end of the battle.

I am under an NDA and will not comment on Super Testing.

MrDeaf #12 Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostQuaffer, on 21 March 2017 - 03:17 AM, said:

Keep in mind that in any given spread of torps, even when fired on narrow spread, the torps may be more than a ship length apart at their range limit. So if you fire from a three tube launcher, you have two misses, from a four tube launcher, three misses. The closer you are the more torpedoes in your spread can hit.

You can increase your density by changing your aim point from one launcher to the next so that they interleave. But the math still means most from a given launcher will miss.

Firing from close in will give you much higher hit rates. But as you will probably be sunk earlier you won't get as many launches in a battle. Only you can decide if a target is worth trading your ship for. There is a reason destroyers frequently do not see the end of the battle.

That is an idea for another thread...

Comparing how wide that white cone is on various ships and average resultant gaps in torpedo spreads at certain distances.

I know this width can be figured out using trigonometry, but this will require mined data.

What is the Torpedo Reload Booster and does it have a historical basis? http://forum.worldof...could-poses-it/

Sign me up for KTKM

KalishniKat #13 Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Thanks guys. I love the game, but I'm probably not that good at it despite my efforts. At least now I know I don't suck as bad as I thought at torpedoes. I guess I'll just keep working on it. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users