How Would One Survive This?!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Tickson #1 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:58 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I am not a new person, nor am I an intermediate person.

But even if you were the pro-est of pros at this warship game...

Imagine this:

You are in the Tier 8 RN Cruiser, Edinburgh.

You are matched up against four enemy Tier X Battleships, alongside 3 Tier X Destroyers, and a bunch of Tier 8/9/10 Cruisers.

You follow your team to a cap zone.

You find a Montana in the distance, knowing that its deck armor is thinner than your citadel, and decide to smoke up and begin firing.

You suddenly find multiple torpedoes coming right for your huge Edinburgh in your tiny smoke.

Alright, so you have two choices. Abandon the smoke, knowing there are 4 Tier X BB's and several "super-heavy" AP cruisers out there. Or, stay in the smoke and pray you have enough HP to survive the torpedoes.

Surprisingly, you won't be able to survive the torpedoes, you have no torpedo protection and a single torpedo shaves off 2/3 of your health. Your ship is nearly the same length as the diameter of the smoke, even with the captain perk.

So you have to leave the smoke, and, as the pro player you are, start pointing your aft towards all the ships and begin running away. Angling will keep you alive, right?

Ha, nah, the DD's and cruisers begin focusing you with HE and the battleships penetrate your butt straight into the citadel. And now you're dead.

--

So, I only have 70k XP on my Edinburgh and I really want the Neptune ;-;

How can I survive that situation!?

Edited by Tickson, 20 March 2017 - 10:59 PM.

aether_tech #2 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:59 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers
  • Members

Dont pit yourself into awful situations?

I am insane. But I am not stupid. Maybe a little psychotic...

i7-4790K | MSI Z97 PCMATE | Crucial Ballistics Tactical 4x8GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G | EVGA G2 550W | Fractal Design R5 Blackout /w Window

Lert #3 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:00 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

Avoid being in that situation to begin with, that shows poor planning.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

Tickson #4 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:04 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

View Postaether_tech, on 20 March 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

Dont pit yourself into awful situations?

View PostLert, on 20 March 2017 - 11:00 PM, said:

Avoid being in that situation to begin with, that shows poor planning.

Alright, so what situations should I put myself in? I can't help my team cap, I can't even smoke up to fire from my max firing range of 15 km. Nor do I want to be a coward, sitting in the back and not have the firing range to support. My AA also sucks...

Macabe #5 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:07 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Supertest Coordinator
  • Members
    Alpha Tester
    In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers
    Supertester

View PostTickson, on 20 March 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

Alright, so what situations should I put myself in? I can't help my team cap, I can't even smoke up to fire from my max firing range of 15 km. Nor do I want to be a coward, sitting in the back and not have the firing range to support. My AA also sucks...

Ones that don't involve you vs 4 BBs plus destroyers that want nothing more than to flood your smoke with torpedus. In that situation you should have played more conservatively and not smoked up close enough to get torped or quickly focused down.

Fleet of Fog Commander

Supremacy League Admin and Head Referee

Self-Proclaimed Forum Mascot

World of Warships Forum Cat. Pet at own risk.

MrDeaf #6 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

you have to be patient with RNCL.

What is the Torpedo Reload Booster and does it have a historical basis? http://forum.worldof...could-poses-it/

Sign me up for KTKM

kerensky914 #7 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Supertester

What was the rest fo your team doing, pointing at your smoke yelling "He's in there!!!!"?  Granted, don't put yourself in a bad position but you mentioned you went in following your team, did they just evaporate?

"it is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth, who was obviously talking about the forums...

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes.  Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Sir_Orrin #8 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

As my unicum division mate would say "You don't have enough fear in cruisers." 

Spoiler

Pulicat #9 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostTickson, on 20 March 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

Not really something that you can flow chart. You play the game. Over time your decisions, be they good or bad, will help you construct better decisions.

MountainManxDan #10 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

• Members

View PostTickson, on 20 March 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Try to position where you can block torp lanes with terrain or have allies between you and the enemy dd positions.  My first smoke is always next to an island on a cap so that way I can provide close support and have a island to jump behind when in danger or out of smoke.

Active USN - NGA - English/한국어

aethervox #11 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:29 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

By not being there (where you were).

Sir_Orrin #12 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:35 PM

• Members

Since my last answer was a little harsh, here's another thing I do. When I'm in smoke, as I'm firing, I go back and forth, slowly turning away from the enemy, sort of like 8 point turn if you will. that way, by the time my smoke is dissapating, I'm already moving away and am at a good speed by the time the smoke is gone.

Spoiler

NCC81701 #13 Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

• Beta Testers

View PostTickson, on 20 March 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

If you don't fire to stay hidden; you're useless. If you smoke up and fire, you'd get flooded with torpedoes and then become useless. Thus the obvious the solution to this problem is to use your engines to go to another part of the map where you can make a difference instead of trying a 1 v 4BB + DD scenario. That's what people mean when they say, don't put yourself in that situation in the first place. 

Edited by NCC81701, 21 March 2017 - 12:24 AM.

Member of: [RUST]

LadyJess #14 Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:09 AM

Ensign

• Members

You got yourself in a bad position. Either way stay or run you are sunk. Better to charge at them and go down fighting. Next time try to avoid this situation.

Cpt_Cupcake #15 Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:20 AM

Seaman

• Members

look for exits. plan your smoke drops next to cover to run too. Always be looking at escape paths and try to think what the enemy will try to do deal with you.

dust340man #16 Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:31 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Remember the old saying "a man has got to know his limitations" :trollface:

American ships: St. Louis, Phoenix, Pensacola, New York, Texas, Colorado, Wickes, Farragut, Sims

Russian ships: Orlan, Bogatyr, Svetlana, Murmansk Molotov, Derzki, Gnevny, Ognevoi

Japanese ships: Kuma, Southern Dragon, ARP Ashigara, ARP Hagura, ARP Nachi, ARP Myoko, Ishizuchi, ARP Heil, ARP Kongo, ARP Krishima, ARP Haruna, Nagato, Umikaze, Mutsuki, Fubuki, Hatsuhuru, Akatsuki

German ships: G-101, Konigsberg, Yorck, Konig, Bayern & Tirpitz

British Ship: tried them but didn't like them, maybe a Belfast in the future.

CapnCappy #17 Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I always pretend I'm an Atlanta in the British cruisers. So find an island to sit behind or next to. Pop smoke just outside cover of the island where you can back into the cover.

Always be moving a little bit back or forwards.

If you have hydro, turn it on.

Don't sit there broadside. I don't care if you can't use all your firepower. Dead ships can't shoot.

CapnCappy's PC build

CapnCappy Stats

Patchy the Pirate says - "When we be seein' Russian battleships and carriers? I hears they can fly an shoot laser beams."

MikuMiku #18 Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Seaman

• Members

As a captain of the main IJN DD line (yugumo), I love it when an enemy RN cruiser or an enemy DD smoking up near the contested cap during the opening minutes.

If you smoke up near a contested cap, you can guarantee that a torp wall will be running through there about 25 seconds later. In addition to the many radars that a lot of high tier ships have, it's pretty much suicide to use that tactic.

Instead of smoking up in the beginning in an open area, you can circle behind an island using that as a shield. During the first few minutes of the game, the destroyers duke it out in a show of dominance and as a CL, you can still help while using the island. When you see a train of BBs heading your way, be sure to immediately start retreating regardless of what your DD is doing. If not, continue to help your fellow DD. It is only once the immediate enemy DD threat is neutralized that you can safety smoke-and-shoot.

Nachoo31 #19 Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostMacabe, on 20 March 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

Ones that don't involve you vs 4 BBs plus destroyers that want nothing more than to flood your smoke with torpedus. In that situation you should have played more conservatively and not smoked up close enough to get torped or quickly focused down.

Here is the problem. He plays more conservative. I have seen BB play so conservative, they wonder why they are the last ones alive against 8 ships.  Cruisers can play as conservative as much as they want eventually they going to be the only target.  

Looking for Clan?  TheKriegsmarines [KMS]  

Have you clicked on the picture in my profile?  Enjoy!

http://na.warshipsto...836912/dark.png

templar627 #20 Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

You have enough range that you can smoke up in better positions. Rule of thumb is unless you're pretty damn sure there aren't dds nearby you don't wanna smoke up really close. Another good idea is to smoke near an island so you can hop back under cover. After all, what's your exit strategy when the smoke runs out?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users