3D Size Comparison: USN Treaty Battleships and Iowa

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

dseehafer #1 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

Rear Admiral

• Beta Testers

Greetings all,

I've decided to take my size comparisons to a whole new level. In fact, a whole new dimension... a third dimension. I've imported the game models and textures into 3D Builder and this allows for extremely accurate measurements of the ships. Unfortunately, there's only so many ships you can put in the same file without the program lagging out. Because of this, I'll have to do only a few ships at a time. I'll also only be doing ships that existed in real life to further reduce the size of the groups.

As requested, here is Iowa, North Carolina and Alabama

Note: The red shadow boxes under the ships represent the most extreme viewable dimensions

Length

RsVqMug.png?1

iLvllUa.png?1

Width

Ksmv6fb.png?1

snHnLHM.png?1

qqFqMzf.png?1

Height

(Note: Ships are arranged by height from the bottom of the hull to the highest point on the mast and not from the bottom of the hull to the deck, although this point certainly still viewable in the picture)

iYoySlT.png?1

Random views

(Note: Just like in game, these views arent entirely accurate because of camera favoritism. However, the red boxes under the ships remain accurate regardless so be sure to use them as a reference)

L1qljSa.png?1

5RIdRLS.png?1

yTGeyUu.png?1

DcnkgCQ.png?1

GndxGjW.png?1

TVuVs46.png?1

6eDc6Q3.png?1

3OlNT6A.png?1

CREATOR OF THE "A DETAILED LOOK AT" AND THE "WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE??" SERIES!! 

KlnDiJZ.gif

"The whole strategy of the war turns at this period to this ship (the Tirpitz), which is holding four times the number of British capital ships paralyzed, to say nothing of the two new American battleships retained in the Atlantic."

- Winston Churchill

CG59 #2 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

What about the Alabama and Alaska?

dseehafer #3 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

Rear Admiral

• Beta Testers

View PostCG59, on 20 March 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

Alabama is in there, Alaska is not in game so I don't have her model... she's also not a battleship.

Edited by dseehafer, 20 March 2017 - 08:36 PM.

KlnDiJZ.gif

"The whole strategy of the war turns at this period to this ship (the Tirpitz), which is holding four times the number of British capital ships paralyzed, to say nothing of the two new American battleships retained in the Atlantic."

- Winston Churchill

motaz87 #4 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

love it, thanks for making it!

ckupf #5 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View Postdseehafer, on 20 March 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Alabama is in there, Alaska is not in game so I don't have her model... she's also not a battleship.

Battlecruiser so it would be interesting to see her size. But she's not in game so yeah.

Doomlock #6 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostCG59, on 20 March 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Alabama is 680' Alaska is 808'. Width is 108' for Bama, 91' for Alaska.

Fair winds and following seas! -Doomlock

Doom lord of HiNon: Purveyor of ship knowledge.

My Complete list of Warship Pics and AHLA's

RadDisconnect #7 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:00 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Awesome, thank you! Also, is the Alabama a bit wider than the Iowa? I thought they should have the exact same width.

I'm working on it.

Doomlock #8 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Alaska (top), alongside Missouri (bottom)

Doomlock #9 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View Postckupf, on 20 March 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

Battlecruiser so it would be interesting to see her size. But she's not in game so yeah.

Large cruiser. US Navy designation. In game she'd likely be a battleship around T7 but she is still a cruiser.

Viscount #10 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

hmm, so the NC's just a trace wider then the Iowa, I remember the Iowa's width was restricted by what would fit through the Panama Canal, (or rather all of our bb's were.)

Edited by Viscount, 20 March 2017 - 09:14 PM.

Doomlock #11 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostViscount, on 20 March 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

hmm, so the NC's just a trace wider then the Iowa, I remember the Iowa's width was restricted by what would fit through the Panama Canal but the NC fit through too.

The width difference between the three is less than an inch. They're all 108 feet and point something inches.

dseehafer #12 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

Rear Admiral

• Beta Testers

View PostRadDisconnect, on 20 March 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

Awesome, thank you! Also, is the Alabama a bit wider than the Iowa? I thought they should have the exact same width.

the red shadow shows the maximum width on any point of the model so if there's an overhanging railing or lifeboats or a wide mast it will include it in the shadow.

KlnDiJZ.gif

- Winston Churchill

dseehafer #13 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

Rear Admiral

• Beta Testers

View PostDoomlock, on 20 March 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

Large cruiser. US Navy designation. In game she'd likely be a battleship around T7 but she is still a cruiser.

There are official navy documents where she is referred to as a battlecruiser so either designation is correct.

KlnDiJZ.gif

- Winston Churchill

Doomlock #14 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View Postdseehafer, on 20 March 2017 - 04:22 PM, said:

There are official navy documents where she is referred to as a battlecruiser so either designation is correct.

Huh didn't know that, thanks. I guess even they couldn't make up their minds.

Tzarevitch #15 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostDoomlock, on 20 March 2017 - 04:11 PM, said:

​I doubt even that high. They were really only designed to withstand cruiser gunfire (10" I believe). Battleship-wise its tier 6 at best.  Her closest cousin is Dunkerque, but with more modern guns (and more of them), better AA and much worse torpedo defense. I don't think they could go any higher.

Phoenix_jz #16 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Well, the official designation was "CB," so I prefer to go with Lert's interpretation;

Cattlebruiser.

On a more serious note, awesome job! It's really cool to look at all the ship models in 3D

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

​Most recent addition: USN Cruiser Split

dseehafer #17 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:42 PM

Rear Admiral

• Beta Testers

View PostTzarevitch, on 20 March 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

​I doubt even that high. They were really only designed to withstand cruiser gunfire (10" I believe). Battleship-wise its tier 6 at best.  Her closest cousin is Dunkerque, but with more modern guns (and more of them), better AA and much worse torpedo defense. I don't think they could go any higher.

shes comparable to Scharnhorst... Less armor but more hitpoints, no torpedoes but bigger guns, worse secondary battery but better AA, worse turning circle but higher top speed, ECT, ECT..

KlnDiJZ.gif

- Winston Churchill

CybrSlydr #18 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:53 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View Postdseehafer, on 20 March 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

shes comparable to Scharnhorst... Less armor but more hitpoints, no torpedoes but bigger guns, worse secondary battery but better AA, worse turning circle but higher top speed, ECT, ECT..

I'd says Alaska is more comparable to the Graf Spee. 

CybrSlydr:  The poster you love to hate so you feel better about yourself.

World of Warships:  Video Game version of "Who's Line?..." where the rules are made up and the history doesn't matter.

dseehafer #19 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:02 PM

Rear Admiral

• Beta Testers

View PostCybrSlydr, on 20 March 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

I'd says Alaska is more comparable to the Graf Spee. 

how??

KlnDiJZ.gif

- Winston Churchill

CybrSlydr #20 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:26 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View Postdseehafer, on 20 March 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

how??

Because the Alaska is nowhere near as tough as the Scharnhorst.  9" belt vs 13.8" belt.  Yes, it's guns are 1" larger in size and the same in number, but the Alaska is not a Battleship and, like the Spee, if treated like one, it will get annihilated.

Yes, the Alaska has 3 more guns and 3x the belt armor but it's not going to stand toe-to-toe with Nagatos, Amagis, Bismarcks, etc.  (I cannot see them giving the Alaska the 12" guns it had - they had the same penetrating power as the older 14" and fired 2.4-3rpm)

So my guess is that when they create the Alaska, it'll be like this:  It'll have the guns from the Wyoming with the trajectory of the North Carolina, the belt close to the New York (it was 10" at it's thinnest) the speed and turning circle of the Iowa and the AA of the North Carolina.

There is no way a ship with slightly less armor than the New York will stand up to the punishment of tier 9 BBs - so it'll play like a more armored Graf Spee.

Edited by CybrSlydr, 20 March 2017 - 11:29 PM.

CybrSlydr:  The poster you love to hate so you feel better about yourself.

World of Warships:  Video Game version of "Who's Line?..." where the rules are made up and the history doesn't matter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users