Matchmaker battle tiers.

Battle tiers matchmaker pol

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Matchmaker tier spread. (93 members have cast votes)

What matchmaker is better in your opinion?

1. +1,-1 (49 votes [52.69%])

Percentage of vote: 52.69%

2. +2,-2 (44 votes [47.31%])

Percentage of vote: 47.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

meat2 #1 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

If anyone wishes to elaborate their stance or points feel free to do so.

pewpewpew42 #2 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Interesting format. I really think OP here managed to have a clearly unbiased poll... EDIT: This is not sarcasm. I actually like this guy's poll.

I'd prefer a +1/-1 MM just so that being bottom-tier isn't all that bad. I'd love playing through T5-6 way more with that kind of change.

Edited by pewpewpew42, 20 March 2017 - 08:23 PM.

light.png

KalishniKat #3 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

+1 -1 games are always more fun and competitive. Tired of being one of 2 6s in a game full of 8s.

RivertheRoyal #4 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Commander

• Members

I don't think it matters at all which one we have, so long as tiers 5 and 6 get sorted out. 

Edited by RivertheRoyal, 20 March 2017 - 04:00 PM.

Raven114 #5 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

Ensign

• Members

The object of this game is not all being equal. Its about how Captain's use there ship. Find a ship you like and learn to be deadly with it. I have seen many tier 8 ships clear the ocean of tier 10's, Its skill not equality.:look:

SocksRevenge #6 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

Seaman

• Members

I guess in a way it depends on what ship you are playing - for DD's, I don't think that the +2/-2 is that big of a deal (and of course, I'd prefer to be on the +2 side of that!); however in most other ships there can be, IMHO, a significant challenge to being bottom tiered - but that's the way I try to look at it when I'm bottom tiered - its a challenge.  The only time I get really annoyed with it is when I'm playing CV and my Ranger is in a tier 9/10 match - which has happened - then I'm pretty much helpless - but at the end of the day, its just a game!

centarina #7 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I don't mind being bottom tiered in most cases unless top tier CV is present. 

IJN: Mikasa,  Ichizuchi, Fuso, Amagi, Katori, kuma, Ibuki, Tachibana, KamikazeR, Shinonome, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki, Yugumo

VFM: Aurora,Svietlana,  Murmansk, Budyonny, Chapayev, D.Donskoi, Ognevoi, Kiev, Tashkent, Udaloi, Khab  PA Anshan   

USN:   New York, North Carolina,Phoenix,  Marblehead,  Indianapolis, Baltimore,  Farragut, Sims,Benson,Fletcher, Bogue    RN Leander, Edinburgh   

KM:  Konig Albert, Bayern, Graf Spee, Gneisenau, Bismarck, Emden  Admiral Hipper, Roon, Lib Maas         ARP: Kongo, Myoko, Haruna, Kirishima, Ashigara, Hiei, Haguro,  Nachi, Takao

Notser Certified Potato

Seaman_Rookie #8 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I voted +/- 2, as it does give a wider variation in gameplay.  BUT I would vote for the following modifications:

-- CV players see only a +/- 1, as the Tier 7 Hiryu player cannot compete with a Missouri, and conversly, a Kongo doesn't do well against a Hiryu.

-- Bottom tier has a minimum number of ships, say, 4 ships.  So in a 12v12 battle, and you're in the low tier 5 ship, there will be at least a third of the battle at your tier (with two-thirds higher).

LoneStormchaser #9 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostRaven114, on 20 March 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

The object of this game is not all being equal. Its about how Captain's use there ship. Find a ship you like and learn to be deadly with it. I have seen many tier 8 ships clear the ocean of tier 10's, Its skill not equality.:look:

Of course this wasn't what the OP asked in the poll, but regardless, one can learn the potential of any ship and its Captain even at a 3 tier difference where results could go good or bad. But ships of equal tier have an equal balance, that's the purpose why WG has an equal tier battle scenario during rank. It just makes sense then to bring random closer in tier.

pmgaudio #10 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View Postpewpewpew42, on 20 March 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

Interesting format. I really think OP here managed to have a clearly unbiased poll...

I'd prefer a +1/-1 MM just so that being bottom-tier isn't all that bad. I'd love playing through T5-6 way more with that kind of change.

I am trying to actually figure out of this was 100% sarcasm, LOL.... 

“Leave the gun....
Take the Cannoli”
  __Clemenza

:child:

Bronco #11 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

When you consider how much fun a ranked battle is with everyone at the same tier level, I would think +/- 1 would feel about the same.

MrEndeavour #12 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

If player counts weren't so low then +1/-1 would probably be introduced. 

[-K-]

Ranked Season 6: Rank 1: 116 battles, 65% win rate

"Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is to play dumb"

Pope_Shizzle #13 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

+-2 is better for me.  It means more diversity in matches.  I think +-2 should be at every single tier except tier 1.  Tier 2 and 3 will get shafted with limited opportunities for downtiering, but those tiers progress really quickly anyway.  For new players, a system could be implemented that says if you have less than 500 battles, you will only face players who have less than 500 battles, negating some of the experience discrepencies and allowing them to learn the game without being taken advantage of by experienced players clubbing at low tiers.  Tier 2 and 3 ships would need to be buffed to make them more comfortable being at the bottom of the barrel more often.  What would also be nice is a mechanism that says you will never be bottom tier twice in a row.

I would accept slower queue times for a better matchmaker.

Slimeball91 #14 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostRaven114, on 20 March 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

View PostLoneStormchaser, on 20 March 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

Of course this wasn't what the OP asked in the poll, but regardless, one can learn the potential of any ship and its Captain even at a 3 tier difference where results could go good or bad. But ships of equal tier have an equal balance, that's the purpose why WG has an equal tier battle scenario during rank. It just makes sense then to bring random closer in tier.

As others have mentioned T5-T6 are tough, this is especially true for newer players.  There is a ridiculous skill difference between a new T6 player and the average T8 player.  Add to that the T6 ships are so weak compared to T8's.   I say a +/-1 for T6 and below at a minimum, and at all tiers in possible.   

Aardvar #15 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

Seaman

• Members

+/-1 is superior IMO.  Success in a T5/6 ship versus T7/8 ships requires above average skill that just doesn't exist in most Random games of T5-7 and T6-8.  The resultant losses are frustrating to the average player and could be a factor in their retention.  There are many wonderful ships at T5 and T6 that just don't get played anymore except in Coop due the the MM +/-2 tier situation.  If player density id an issue, simply change the team size to 10.

I noted in other threads on this topic that most the players preferring +/-2 MM had Win Rates that were usually in the 60% range or higher.  Of course, they gain an advantage with the present setup as their T8 ship can be played both ways and hold up well.

StingRayOne #16 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

Agree whole heartedly

+1 or -1

plus here win some gold

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/118037-contest-for-6000-gold-and-support-the-uso/page__fromsearch__1

Sting Ray One's Avatars Alive Here

My You Tube Channel       "YouTubeWest"    www.youtubewest.com       contact@youtubewest.com 

This channel has movies, military,satire, a news show and a entertainment show

Naval Historian, Government Worker and former maritime person on San Francisco Bay                                                    

Slimeball91 #17 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBronco, on 20 March 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

When you consider how much fun a ranked battle is with everyone at the same tier level, I would think +/- 1 would feel about the same.

I agree, it would be more fun.

View PostMrEndeavour, on 20 March 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

If player counts weren't so low then +1/-1 would probably be introduced. 

Maybe, it would depend if WG felt like the matches were fast/short enough.  I don't know if +/-1 would slow the games down without as big a discrepancy in tiers.  If games take longer because of more even tiering, it isn't going to happen. 

View PostPope_Shizzle, on 20 March 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

+-2 is better for me.  It means more diversity in matches.  I think +-2 should be at every single tier except tier 1.  Tier 2 and 3 will get shafted with limited opportunities for downtiering, but those tiers progress really quickly anyway.  For new players, a system could be implemented that says if you have less than 500 battles, you will only face players who have less than 500 battles, negating some of the experience discrepencies and allowing them to learn the game without being taken advantage of by experienced players clubbing at low tiers.  Tier 2 and 3 ships would need to be buffed to make them more comfortable being at the bottom of the barrel more often.  What would also be nice is a mechanism that says you will never be bottom tier twice in a row.

I would accept slower queue times for a better matchmaker.

Balancing MM and time in queue would be an issue.  As others have said you could possibly see +/-1 at peak hours and fewer ships per match at off peak times, this could help keep queue times low.  I'd also be okay with a +/-2 at off peak hours. 

Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper #18 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I like the +/-2 because it is very fun to go in at bottom tier and hand the sterns of higher tier ships back in golden platters.

Nothing feels better than getting 6 kills with a T6 ship in a 6-8 battle.

Edited by Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper, 20 March 2017 - 05:08 PM.

"Hit First. Hit Hard. Keep on Hitting" ~ John "Jackie" Fisher

Ships in Port:

German Tech Tree Suggestion     Enable Training Rooms Manually

RivertheRoyal #19 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostAdmiral_Franz_von_Hipper, on 20 March 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

I like the +/-2 because it is very fun to go in at bottom tier and hand the sterns of higher tier ships back in golden platters.

Nothing feels better than getting 6 kills with a T6 ship in a 6-8 battle.

Now imagine your performance in a +/-1 match, where things are more 'equal'. Player skill would become even more OP.  

This could actually be....fun. :trollface:

MidnightShamalan #20 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

i'm perfectly fine with +/-2

the only issue i have with MM at the moment is the changes they did a while back that completely shafted T5, and made it that much easier for seal clubbers at T4 and under.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users