CA line to grind

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

misanthrope0 #1 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

If you had a line to pick German, Russian of British, which would you choose and why? I don't think Jap and US comes into it anymore, besides I'm already researched up to the Baltimore.

Unabletony #2 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:13 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

British and Russian cruisers aren't heavy cruisers in terms of armor (and guns for Brits)...

Because Hyuuga is cute~

Azuki is my catpanion~

Take that, Nyagato-sempai~!

snowshrederr #3 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Out of the options you gave me I would pick German, although my personal favorite is IJN because OMG HE and LOL stealth

An average player playing averagely.

Chien_Lu_Anderman #4 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Of the cruiser lines I liked ; German the most ; Russian second and British least .  However of them all I only have the Budyonny (tier 6) and Hindenburg (tier 10) in my port ( I am not a collector of ships {only 15 in port} but of research as I have all the tech tree ships researched to elite status ) .      :honoring: 

CPU   Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz/ 3.84Ghz with turbo      GPU   NVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2G      Ram   12gig and 26.2gig available on a flash drive configured for ready boost    HDD   1Tb 7200rpm    OS   Windows 8.1

ckupf #5 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

There is no British CA line, there is a British CL line

<--- one of my biggest pet peeves is people using the nomenclature and getting it wrong, one of these days I'm gonna write up a guide.

If you are experienced enough to handle the British line well then that is the most powerful. Russian is easy going and fun. German is powerful if you play them smart. But they aren't too hot to handle.

snowshrederr #6 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:32 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Postckupf, on 19 March 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

There is no British CA line, there is a British CL line

<--- one of my biggest pet peeves is people using the nomenclature and getting it wrong, one of these days I'm gonna write up a guide.

If you are experienced enough to handle the British line well then that is the most powerful. Russian is easy going and fun. German is powerful if you play them smart. But they aren't too hot to handle.

Do it, I think we all need a nomenclature guide. (Not actually sarcasm) 

An average player playing averagely.

the_majestic_eagle #7 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

The Russians are pretty good, especially the later tiers, and Moskva is fantastic 

Admiral_Thrawn_1 #8 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I have seen a tier 8 Japanese cruiser be a real pain in the neck to kill and my team was pretty good and abou 6 or 8 of us left and that IJN cruiser would fire off good volley of shells to plaster one of us and cause fires then he would become undetected and sneak around  before doing it again, we eventually got him, but man did he put up a fight so I would not write off IJN Cruisers since some are durable, stealthy and pack a punch. But so do some of the Germans, American only Cruisers like Atalanta and couple others really have caught my attention so far, but not faced any above tier 8 yet. British Cruisers while thinly armored can pull their weight will the ability to lay smoke and regenerate their HP like a Battleship. 

I have not been overly impressed with Russian ships despite the fact their decks are covered in weapons they take a hit and under the waves they go from what I have seen.

SireneRacker #9 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

Commander

• Members

German Cruisers. Once you reach T8 you get those AP shells which are a pain for any ship getting hit by them.

Proud member of [WAIFU], nothing beats Prinz Eugen

Torpedoes don't have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.

centarina #10 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:10 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I would say zao.   followed by moskva and hindenberg.  

IJN: Mikasa,  Ichizuchi, Fuso, Amagi, Katori, Ibuki, Tachibana, KamikazeR, Shinonome, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki, Yugumo

VFM: Aurora, Murmansk, Budyonny, Chapayev, D.Donskoi, Ognevoi, Kiev, Tashkent, Udaloi, Khab  PA Anshan   

USN:   New York, North Carolina, Marblehead,  Indianapolis, NO,  Farragut, Sims,Benson,Fletcher, Bogue    RN Leander, Edinburgh   

KM:  Konig Albert, Bayern, Graf Spee, Gneisenau, Bismarck, Emden  Admiral Hipper, Roon, Lib Maas         ARP: Kongo, Myoko, Haruna, Kirishima, Ashigara, Hiei, Haguro,  Nachi, Takao

Don of Popcorn Mafia

WanderingGhost #11 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Alpha Tester

Well, Baltimore research aside, don't count USN and IJN out so fast, Highest I've been in that line I recall is Myoko, aside from the ARP version of Atago. And if any of the tech tree ships are remotely like that ship, they can be made to stealth torp, I know at one point they could anyway but I've lost track of changes and not about to open the game and try and do the math on how low you can get the detection range vs torpedo range. Not to mention IJN citadels are not always easy to hit.

Of those 3, well, it depends what you want. The Russians are OP flamethrowers. The Germans have pretty good AP and better torp range than the Russians. UK has it's unique AP and high fire rates, but is a DD with a citadel. UK is a coin flip of is it going to be citadeled to oblivion or, as I found out, will it actually overpen the citadel because that is just how little protection they have. It's really a matter of whats your playstyle and what best fits it.

Also, just use CA/L in the future so the people who get insane over that don't have an aneurysm. 

SireneRacker #12 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

Commander

• Members

View PostWanderingGhost, on 20 March 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

Not to mention IJN citadels are not always easy to hit.

Out of all the Cruisers I have played so far the IJN Cruisers seem to be the ones that love citadel hits. This citadel is so high above the waterline and you have no bow/aft armor to speak of so you always get citadel'ed.

Proud member of [WAIFU], nothing beats Prinz Eugen

Torpedoes don't have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.

danredda1616 #13 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

Ensign

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters

I own every T10 cruiser currently in the game. Here is my thoughts:

VMF: Overall, quite friendly up the entire line. Great range, excellent shell velocity. Tier 10 has the highest HP of all cruisers, however it has the size to go with it. If you like sitting back and sniping from range, you can't go wrong with this line.

KM: My personal favourite line. The line is mediocre until the Konigsburg (Tier 5), and then hits a minor bad patch at tier 7 (Yorck), otherwise they were quite enjoyable to play. They feature the hardest-hitting AP on cruisers, and can be quite tanky in the latter tiers. If you can make AP in a cruiser work, this like is rather enjoyable. If you don't like switching ammo types, this isn't really the line for you.

RNCL: Mediocre until the Leander (Smoke + heal), gets even better at edinburgh (Superheal + 9km concealment). The RNCLs are absolutely godlike if you can select targets well, manage your stealth properly and take advantage of the strengths whilst minimising the weaknesses. I would recommend this line to anyone who enjoys DD gameplay (particularly USN DD smoke shooting playstyle) as it is quite similar. They are very unforgiving for mistakes, so they require lots of concentration playing.

Overall, I would rate the line grind experience as follows.

1. IJN - Overall quite well rounded, decent balance of firepower/armour/speed/torps
  2. VMF - Very capable ships. Weaker armoured compared to the IJN (until tier 10), but overall still quite forgiving due to range and HE shell fire chance
  3. KM - Fairly competent ships, however rely a lot more on being able to use AP rounds. No real "bad" ships in the line except the Yorck on occasion
  4. RNCL - Very good ships in skilled hands, but extremely noob unfriendly. Very punishing of mistakes.
  5. USN - I rate this grind as last, as IMO after the Cleveland there is no good ship until the Des Moines herself (Note: I have not played Pepsi/NO/Balti since most recent buff)

If however you're interested in the tier 10s, I rate them as follows:

1. Des Moines - I love this ship. Having only recently acquired it, if you can utilise terrain and concealment properly you can lob shells over mountains. The high shell arc whilst making aiming difficult, enables you to penetrate BB decks with your HE or with AP (Superheavy shells) and proceed to cause lots of damage. CV No-fly zone
  2. Hindenburg - Quite durable, with a tough to hit citadel. Some of the best torp arcs in game. Combines fairly good firepower, with great torpedoes, durability and AA for a rather excellent ship
  3. Minotaur - Absolutely lethal if you can use concealment and firepower to your advantage. In my opinion only suffers by its dependence on the enemy ships being spotted by your team. Mistakes are punished in a brutal fashion. Also a CV no-fly zone.
  4. Moskva - Great long-range capability. Nice bow armour for a CA (only cruiser I'd really consider the reverse tactic in). Suffers from large size making it an easier target to hit/burn. Does have lots of HP though
  5. Zao - I dunno what it is about this ship, but I just don't enjoy it much. You can get a ridiculous fire chance, and laugh as you angle the armour to incoming shots. I just don't personally like that gameplay style.

Final Recommendation: I think you should go German line. But don't give up until you at least get to the Hipper (Hipper is love, Hipper is life)

Edited by danredda1616, 20 March 2017 - 10:41 AM.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE KITAKAMI PLEASE!!!

Ships Collected: 184/198

Ships Missing: Tachibana Lima, Iwaki Alpha, Eastern Dragon, Akizuki, Kitakami, Marblehead Lima, Flint, Alabama, Alabama ST, Black, Essex, Midway, Diana Lima, Grozovoi

AdmiralThunder #14 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Of the 3 the OP listed I would go...

1 BRN

2 KM

3 Russian( is that VMF? )

If I could rate the Russian(VMF) ships lower I would.

misanthrope0 #15 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

I already have up to T5 KM, I was vacillating between the KM and VMF lines as is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users