Addendum to a Review -- Alabama Drama Llama

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

TheBeefKid #41 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:03 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

But how does this ship stack up to tech tree USN BB's?  I am close to getting the NC, and I was wondering if I should spend ~50-60$ on this ship when I might be getting something just as good.  Does the NC not check all the boxes the Alabama does too?  Though with mouse's hype I want to buy this now, and I would like a good captain trainer, but why shouldn't I just save up my money to get free exp for the Missouri instead?

dark.png

Plays a mix of battleships (excellent) and destroyers (excellent)

Deals a large amount of damage

Extremely often uses torpedoes (when in ships that have them)

Key vehicle - Fubuki

RivertheRoyal #42 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:03 AM

Captain

• Members

View Postaethervox, on 19 March 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

LOL.

I never buy premiums in WoWS. Learnt my lesson in WoT. Apparently, some never do.

Nope. :)

I'll enjoy my premiums, thank you very much. 

Lert #43 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:05 AM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostTheBeefKid, on 20 March 2017 - 03:03 AM, said:

Does the NC not check all the boxes the Alabama does too?

Read Mouse's review. Watch other reviews. Alabama and North Carolina are similar but there are distinct differences that affect how they play. Alabama can do things NC can't and NC can do things Alabama can't.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

taut #44 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:06 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

Battlecruiser Lexington please WG.

We don't have an old school mid tier USN fast Battleship, would be nice. Every damn USN BB is slow as [edited]in the tiers I am comfortable playing BBs which essentially means I never play USN BBs.

Hook it up WG!

lemekillmister #45 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:10 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Thanks for all of your informative updates, Mouse.

This project was on my back burner for quite while but I now have a 15 pt Seagal ready and waiting for her. I enjoy playing North Carolina, with nearly 300 battles driving her under my belt, and I also enjoy Warspite's wigglebility so I believe I have a good sense of how I can play Alabama to good effect and loads of fun. 

I'm a spudman, I got eyes all around.

TheBeefKid #46 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:15 AM

• Members

View PostLert, on 19 March 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

Read Mouse's review. Watch other reviews. Alabama and North Carolina are similar but there are distinct differences that affect how they play. Alabama can do things NC can't and NC can do things Alabama can't.

I can't find her Alabama review

dark.png

Plays a mix of battleships (excellent) and destroyers (excellent)

Deals a large amount of damage

Extremely often uses torpedoes (when in ships that have them)

Key vehicle - Fubuki

Fletcher7_1944 #47 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:15 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

Encouraging words, Mouse.

I do so dislike tier 8 and up USN BB's.   The horrific turning, the soft sides, and the big easy to hit citadel make them feel decidedly UN battleship-like.  Couple that with guns that can't hit anything, due to epic dispersion...

Maneuverability sounds like an excellent improvement over the North Carolina.   SERIOUS levels of anti torpedo protection sounds very nice, too.  (especially in the first weeks after release, when the "New Ship Hunters", and premium haters will be going out of their way to hunt them.)

One of the things I like most about my beloved Colorado is the fact that it CAN get out of it's own way.  It CAN dodge torpedoes pretty well, and it CAN dodge or deflect incoming fire.  (Okay, fine- I do admit to feeling a bit smug and slightly amused, when I read one of the many "Colorado SUCKS!!!" threads.lol )  It can also hit what it shoots at, and what it can't tank, it can heal.   I can live with slow- it keeps me out of trouble, as the reds all shoot at the faster "bird dogs" that charged in and got spotted first!.  (and left my slow BB behind)

Then I got my hands on a North Carolina and an Iowa class (Missouri) BB's...   In exchange for being somewhat faster and longer ranged, they sacrificed all that maneuverability, accuracy, and tankiness.  Imo, not a good trade- esp when going up against the best BB's Japan and Germany have in the game.  Thus, those ships have become permanent barnacle gathering port queens. 

So, when I heard that the Alabama- which had been billed as being better armored and tankier than NC- was saddled with Iowa's high, poorly protected citadel, I cried foul.  I was really hoping Alabama would have some of that magic that made the Standards so fun to play... 

RivertheRoyal #48 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:17 AM

Captain

• Members

View PostTheBeefKid, on 19 March 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

I can't find her Alabama review

Here you go

SpeedingBus #49 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:19 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View PostLert, on 19 March 2017 - 09:57 PM, said:

Whenever I read comments like this from someone who's never actually driven the vehicle he's talking about, I am reminded of the E-25 in WoT.

"Oh only 150 pen at tier 7, that's nothing, it's gonna suck!"

"Oh StuG's gun on tier 7, it's going to run out of ammo after 1 minute!"

"Worthless pathetic gun!"

Now look at it ...

I'll trust my own experience actually playing a ship over that of someone who's only looked at a few numbers on the screen, thank you.

Sorry I am not excited for a ship where everyone is going to sit bow on and go slowly backwards/forward depending on the battle. Do you really think wows precious balance would be ruined if Alabama had NC citadel?

I mean WG clearly doesn't mind when it let ships like Belfast freaking exist and Alabama wouldn't come close to being as good.

RivertheRoyal #50 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:20 AM

Captain

• Members

View PostSpeedingBus, on 19 March 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

Sorry I am not excited for a ship where everyone is going to sit bow on and go slowly backwards/forward depending on the battle. Do you really think wows precious balance would be ruined if Alabama had NC citadel?

I mean WG clearly doesn't mind when it let ships like Belfast freaking exist and Alabama wouldn't come close to being as good.

People who play the Alabama like that are more than likely doing something wrong. It totally nulls one of her big advantages—the maneuverability. 

RipNuN2 #51 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:36 AM

Commander

• Members

LWM or Lert, how to feel about the guns on the Alabama when compared with the Mighty MO as far as accuracy?

LittleWhiteMouse #52 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:55 AM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

View PostRipNuN2, on 19 March 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

LWM or Lert, how to feel about the guns on the Alabama when compared with the Mighty MO as far as accuracy?

Similar.  You get better muzzle velocity on the Missouri (and Iowa's) super-heavy shells, with better ballistics over range.  The trade off for this is that you're more likely to shoot long in an Iowa-class than Alabama because of the flatter shell arc. If you can make one work, it's only a small adjustment to make the others work.

Q♥  Most Recent Review: HMS Hood

Wulfgarn #53 Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:58 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee, Konig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

HazeGrayUnderway #54 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:03 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostTheBeefKid, on 19 March 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

But how does this ship stack up to tech tree USN BB's?  I am close to getting the NC, and I was wondering if I should spend ~50-60$ on this ship when I might be getting something just as good.  Does the NC not check all the boxes the Alabama does too?  Though with mouse's hype I want to buy this now, and I would like a good captain trainer, but why shouldn't I just save up my money to get free exp for the Missouri instead?

It's a better turning NC that has less accuracy, less stealthy, and has a skyscraper for a citadel.

jeffreywalker74656 #55 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:12 AM

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View Postaethervox, on 19 March 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

LOL.

I never buy premiums in WoWS. Learnt my lesson in WoT. Apparently, some never do.

So you have no intention to buy this ship or anything in WOWS. Yet come to a thread about a premium because you wanna trash those of us who actually support the game. Without those of us who buy things you wouldn't have a game to play and I have learned a good deal. I have learned that when I pay them (WG) money I get what I paid for and enjoy myself greatly. Have never felt ripped off.  Wish we had a down vote function in the forum because you are obviously a troll. 

Leader of Naval Force's Elite - Apply to join today - Casual, Fun, Unrestricted.

Player primarily of US Navy ships

Wulfgarn #56 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:20 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View Postjeffreywalker74656, on 19 March 2017 - 11:12 PM, said:

So you have no intention to buy this ship or anything in WOWS. Yet come to a thread about a premium because you wanna trash those of us who actually support the game. Without those of us who buy things you wouldn't have a game to play and I have learned a good deal. I have learned that when I pay them (WG) money I get what I paid for and enjoy myself greatly. Have never felt ripped off.  Wish we had a down vote function in the forum because you are obviously a troll. 

:great::honoring:

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee, Konig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

CorvusBB39 #57 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:23 AM

• Members

Ahh, Miss Mouse.  Now you've gone and broken Warspite's heart.

HazeGrayUnderway #58 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:23 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View Postjeffreywalker74656, on 19 March 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

If you prod him some more, maybe he'll threaten you by going after you with his Carriers like he did me:D

KnightFandragon #59 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:31 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Well, ill have fun in a few months when my Arizona gets up tiered and I citadel pork the [edited]out of them.  I love racking up huge [edited]numbers. 

RivertheRoyal #60 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:35 AM

Captain

• Members

View PostKnightFandragon, on 19 March 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

Well, ill have fun in a few months when my Arizona gets up tiered and I citadel pork the [edited]out of them.  I love racking up huge [edited]numbers. 

Good luck~ 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users