• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

LittleWhiteMouse #1 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:17 AM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

POPULAR

I've already been analytical.  I've placed the cold hard facts out there and let players decide for themselves what issues I raised mattered most to them.  But I won't lie to myself and say it was anything other than a rush job -- a frantic attempt to get the review out while Alabama was still new and topical and the ranting against her high citadel was still fresh and new.  I liked Alabama when I first played her.  My review is cautiously favourable towards her.  I'm writing this to nuke that lukewarm impression.

Let me remove any pretense of moderation or objectivity. 

♥ I freakin' love this boat. ♥

And that's coming from someone who is, at best, rather indifferent to American Battleship designs.  It took me a while to really nail what I loved about her.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I've had some awesome games and some real lemons too, but the former far outweighs the latter.  There are some premiums that Wargaming lets me preview that are fun at the time but unlikely to tickle my fancy after play testing them.  Then there are ships like Alabama that just tick all of the right boxes.  And here they are:

1.  She has excellent anti-aircraft firepower. 
    I dunno why I'm such a stickler for anti-aircraft coverage, but it always puts a smile on my face to shoot down enemy planes -- even if it's just a spotter aircraft.  I suppose it comes down to a matter of control.  Alabama denies same tier (and lower) CVs the use of airspace in her general vicinity.  She hoovers up a ton of experience and credits when she gets to exercise her 40mm and 20mm flak guns.  Her AA firepower is on par with that of North Carolina and it upgrades handsomely with proper modules and skills.

2.  Alabama's guns hit hard and they behave.
    After so many games in the Warspite, I'm very comfortable with low-velocity guns.  So that's no drawback for me.  Inside of 16km, her AP shells end worlds when they strike enemy Battleships.  She's lethal to everything else at all ranges.  But combine that with excellent gun handling and it's a match made in heaven for me.  Her turret traverse, while not quite German in its alacrity, is above and beyond anything I would normally expect out of the USN.  I have her kitted out with Mr.Seagal which improves her rotation speed from 4.5º per second up to 5.5º per second which is amazing.  It's easy to shift fire, especially while under manoeuvers... which brings me to my last point.

3.  Alabama is hella-agile.
    I don't use the Steering Gears Modification 2, yet Alabama still turns beautifully.  Oh, she's not as nimble as my beloved Warspite, but she's close -- she's very close.  Unlike Warspite, she's reasonably fast too, meaning I can push when I need to and press an advantage or retreat from danger as needed.  She constantly surprises enemy warships expecting her to take much longer in the turn than she does.  The wiggle and bait tactics I use with Warspite to tank with my belt armour work beautifully with Alabama.  And while I wouldn't take her into close quarters with a German Battleship, she outbrawls her American counterparts and some IJN battleships hilariously.

But Mouse, you cry.  What about her high-water citadel!?  I don't care.  Warspite had a high water citadel with less protection for the first year that I played her and that never stopped me.  People are, frankly, making mountains out of molehills.  Yes, it's a weakness.  But it doesn't define the ship.  Her speed and handling does and it's fantastic.  Alabama is not a fragile ship, especially if you play her to her strengths. 

I cannot endorse this ship strongly enough if this iteration survives testing intact.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, 20 March 2017 - 02:58 AM.

Q♥  Most Recent Review:  Duca D'Aosta 0.6.3.1

RivertheRoyal #2 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:19 AM

Captain

• Members

Yay, a positive Alabama review! 

Now, let's see how long it takes this thread to devolve into the typical Alabama mess....

BelgaraththeSorcerer #3 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:20 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

STOP TAUNTING ME :angry:

Spoiler

Edited by BelgaraththeSorcerer, 20 March 2017 - 01:26 AM.

GhostSwordsman #4 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 19 March 2017 - 08:19 PM, said:

Yay, a positive Alabama review! 

Now, let's see how long it takes this thread to devolve into the typical Alabama mess....

I'll give it 14 posts. :P

Edited by GhostSwordsman, 20 March 2017 - 01:27 AM.

warships.today stats    Wargaming.net WoWs profile overview

~You are an ocean of waves, weaving a dream, Like thoughts become a river stream, Yet may the tide ever change, flowing like time, To the path, -yours to claim~Thou seek the dark with an unsheathed blade, Now a white, ivory throne beckons, So obtain the fate you sow, On this path, be weary, friend and foe~ - "Lost in Thoughts All Alone" English Cover - by Amalee

Ultimate BBQQ Recipe: 1 BB(the bigger, the juicier), 2 or more Cruisers and/or Destroyers, HE spam(apply generously), no salt required. Smoking your BBQQ is optional, but it adds lots of extra flavor.  Melt for 3-10 minutes and enjoy! Serve with fish for an even more exotic taste!

Wulfgarn #5 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:28 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

:popcorn:

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee, Konig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

JJDOU3D #6 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Thanks LWM! It is then a buy for me!

Phoenix_jz #7 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

XD brilliant

But also true.

+1 for not caring about the citadel height.

It's still got 310mm of angle-able armor!

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

​Most recent addition: USN Cruiser Split

YamatoA150 #8 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Man, the mentioning of maneuverability just annoys me considering all high tier BBs had it back in CBT, and now it's only being sold as a Premium advantage.

My massive list of suggestions (Updated 05/17/2016).  Feel free to constructively debate and discuss.

Remember remember the 17th of September, the Tirpitz; which cost a lot.  Some say it's a fortune, and that it's extortion; but the price will never be forgot.

"I call her the Sandman.  She tells other tier 3 ships, "Hush now.  Only dreams," as she murders them."LittleWhiteMouse on Konig Albert - 08/30/2016

Combined_Fleet_HQ #9 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Eh, I'll pick the NC over it. Just don't see enough justification for picking her up. If I hadn't gone down the USN line, then I probably would buy the Alabama but I just see the NC as a better choice

Disclaimer: My stats are reflective of luck, not skill

FOG Recruiter

the_majestic_eagle #10 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

"Don't tell me how to live my life! (Kek) "

*proceeds to complain about 'bama citadel till blue in the face (just to fork over the $60 it'll costto purchase her

Edited by the_majestic_eagle, 20 March 2017 - 01:31 AM.

JJDOU3D #11 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostYamatoA150, on 19 March 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

Man, the mentioning of maneuverability just annoys me considering all high tier BBs had it back in CBT, and now it's only being sold as a Premium advantage.

I'll still take it hehe

Kitsunelegend #12 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:31 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Noooooo! STOP! STOP DOING THIS!

I only have so much money.... stop painting Alabama in a good light and making me want her...think of my poor poor wallet.... :'(

Spoiler

I is potato incarnate. I taste good with bacon. Fear my potato-yness! >=D

Bacon and coffee pleases teh kitsune -w- 

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png' href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...t3oH4sk.png</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...4sk.png</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/t...png</a></a></a></a>

[Battleships:] Mikasa, South Carolina, Ishizuchi, Arkansas BetaImperator Nikolai I, TexasWarspite, Arizona, Dunkerque, New Mexico, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, North Carolina, Alabama, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Iowa [Cruisers:] Erie, Albany, Emden, Aurora, Oleg, St Louis, KatoriYubari, Konigsburg, Marblehead, Omaha, Murmansk, ClevelandMolotov, Perth, Duca D'Aosta, Atlanta, Atago, Indianapolis, Prinz Eugen, Mikhail Kutuzov [Carriers:] Saipan [Destroyers:] Tachibana, SmithWickes, Clemson, Isokaze, Lo YangCampbeltownBlyskawicaSimsAnshan Arpeggio ships: ARP Kongou, ARP Kirishima, ARP Hiei, ARP Ashigara, ARP Nachi, ARP Takao

Amazing avatar courtesy of LittleWhiteMouse 

Sir_Davos_Seaworth #13 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:37 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Like I've said before, I'm passing, but NOT because she has a citadel. She is a high tier USN BB. If you like those, buy her, if not buy a Tirpitz. I bet they will be the same price. I have no idea why there is so much drama over this.

The Onion Knight

Fleet in Being at Put-In-Bay Ohio: Brig, Niagara. Ironclad, Michigan (latter Wolverine)

Red Blooded Redneck...who likes French Ships?

JJDOU3D #14 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I just need the Arkansas and I'll have USN BB premiums complete set :P

Phoenix_jz #15 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:38 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostKitsunelegend, on 19 March 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

Noooooo! STOP! STOP DOING THIS!

I only have so much money.... stop painting Alabama in a good light and making me want her...think of my poor poor wallet.... :'(

Spoiler

Oh, don't worry, I feel your pain. I actually want to get her, but there's no way it'll happen (with Duca d'Aosta and Roma coming this year, I'm gonna have to save my money... Tier VIII BBs are expensive!).:D

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

​Most recent addition: USN Cruiser Split

KyourakuShunsui #16 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:40 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

It was always going to be a buy from me. Glad you like her, and I agree that the citadel is not the end of the world, particularly with her maneuverability. Let's hope it is not nerfed before release.

CaptainMrEpic #17 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

This is much better. No bad things about it. I wonder when it will be out.

slak__ #18 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:48 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

Can't wait to shoot at them in Monty.

The_first_harbinger #19 Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:03 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

It's gonna be a good ship. It's just that WG have spoiled us that nobody can stop whining if a premium is no better than the research counterpart...
"May the Meteorblitzkrieg begin!"
Battleship Cult Cardinal

Ships that deserves Admirals' love series

Latest addition: Algérie

CybrSlydr #20 Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:05 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

CybrSlydr:  The poster you love to hate so you feel better about yourself.

World of Warships:  Video Game version of "Who's Line?..." where the rules are made up and the history doesn't matter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users