Are there any maneuvers that DDs can use against torpedo planes attacks?

DD torpedo plane attacks

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

TheGreatBlasto #1 Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:19 AM

Ensign

• Members

I just had my Tashkent sunk by a strike from an Shokaku. 

Yes, I was spinning around like a wild man trying to throw off the strike and managed to avoid the first spread but the second one got me.

One time I was in another DD (T4 or 5?) going through a fairly narrow channel. The island on my portside was pretty close by.  I realize that trying to estimate the distance in this type of situation is pretty futile but somehow a torpedo bomber managed to squeeze in there and drop a torp which sank me. Visually the island seemed one DD ship length away.  I was shocked to put it mildly.

:read_fish:

Spoiler

The Royal Navy of Kekistan Rules the Waves!

:child:

RivertheRoyal #2 Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

Captain

• Members

There is no avoiding a torpedo drop from a good CV player. You can only hope that they never take notice of you..... 

Landing_Skipper #3 Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:24 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Dodge, duck, dive, dodge...

heading away from planes if possible...

Do NOT drop smoke and stop moving if 2 or more torp bomber squads are on your six.  Good CV player will cross drop smoke for sure.

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

TheGreatBlasto #4 Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:25 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 17 March 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

There is no avoiding a torpedo drop from a good CV player. You can only hope that they never take notice of you..... 

That criss-cross pattern is lethal.

:ohmy:

The Royal Navy of Kekistan Rules the Waves!

:child:

Destroyer_Teruzuki #5 Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:28 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

If the CV player is smart and experienced, maneuvers are generally only delaying the inevitable. DFAA is your best bet if you've got it, otherwise you're in for a rough time if they focus you with everything.

Pulicat #6 Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:30 AM

Commander

• Members

Single torp bomber squad is easy, keep your rear or nose to it. when it starts to outflank you, switch to the opposite of what you were doing.

double bomber is a little harder. You should be able to limit to 1 torp hitting you. Just dodge and force them to torp from behind you. if they time it poorly you can get away with no hits.

If a Hak is on your case, you really should have respected that air power and maintained close proximity to friendly ships. If he's above you and you have no support, you are probably dead 90% of the time.

Khafni #7 Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:30 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Pretty amazing how those torp planes can skim down the side of the mountain and lay a perfect set of fish.

Keep in mind they will try and torp from the side. You can often beat a single drop by turning in to them and adjusting speed to go between the spread. Cross drops take a lot more skill. A good CV player will hit you with a cross drop. Best you can often hope for is to eat only one in those instances. 

ImperialArmament #8 Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:31 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

1. Tap your rudder buttons (Q/E by default) to MAX and turn into the first spread

2. Nuke your speed to stop (I find Prop. Mod. 2 to be helpful for this one, esp. if your rudder shift time w/o Steering Gears Mod. 2 is decent) to minimize hits from/dodge the second strike if it's a cross-drop

Both of these steps need to be done within a few milliseconds of each other to produce desired results.

For me, this resulted in getting out of Shokaku strikes in stock NC (lol 22.8s rudder shift time) and Hiryu cross-drops in the atrociously unmaneuverable Lolarado. If it can be done in battleships, it can certainly be done in destroyers, but that's just my 0.02

Edited by ImperialArmament, 18 March 2017 - 12:32 AM.

Favorite botes to play as of now: Scharnhorst, Belfast, Tirpitz, Dunkerque, Iowa, & Hiryū

Planned additions to port: Montana, Nagato

Welcoming IJN Aircraft Carrier Hiryū to my Port!

twitch133 #9 Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:00 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 17 March 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

A good cross drop is almost impossible to dodge in Fletcher...

He was driving Tashkent...

All I can say is don't over commit to one turn. As he is using the first drop to bait you into driving right into the second.

Edited by twitch133, 18 March 2017 - 01:01 AM.

Intel 4790K : ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 : EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 : 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw X : Samsung 850 Evo : Asus PG279Q G-Sync

Adrenaline Rush has finally allowed me to become Obi-Wan. "If you strike me down. I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

"I fear nothing. All is as RNG wills it"

Estimated_Prophet #10 Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:09 AM

Commander

• Members

View PostKhafni, on 17 March 2017 - 06:30 PM, said:

Pretty amazing how those torp planes can skim down the side of the mountain and lay a perfect set of fish.

Guilty, I'm afraid...

Before they widened the channel on 2B, I crossed the ridge on the NW side of the gap, dropped down into the channel, and layed the torps from an Independance torps squad into a Chapayeve for four hits and the kill...

Kinda surprised he didn't DF me, but maybe it was on cooldown, or he didn't expect the drop...

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

LadyJess #11 Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:17 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostTheGreatBlasto, on 18 March 2017 - 12:19 AM, said:

I just had my Tashkent sunk by a strike from an Shokaku. 

Yes, I was spinning around like a wild man trying to throw off the strike and managed to avoid the first spread but the second one got me.

One time I was in another DD (T4 or 5?) going through a fairly narrow channel. The island on my portside was pretty close by.  I realize that trying to estimate the distance in this type of situation is pretty futile but somehow a torpedo bomber managed to squeeze in there and drop a torp which sank me. Visually the island seemed one DD ship length away.  I was shocked to put it mildly.

:read_fish:

Spoiler

Adjust your speed as well . Turning , spinning helps but, you will need to adjust your speed.

tk208 #12 Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostImperialArmament, on 18 March 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

1. Tap your rudder buttons (Q/E by default) to MAX and turn into the first spread

2. Nuke your speed to stop (I find Prop. Mod. 2 to be helpful for this one, esp. if your rudder shift time w/o Steering Gears Mod. 2 is decent) to minimize hits from/dodge the second strike if it's a cross-drop

Both of these steps need to be done within a few milliseconds of each other to produce desired results.

For me, this resulted in getting out of Shokaku strikes in stock NC (lol 22.8s rudder shift time) and Hiryu cross-drops in the atrociously unmaneuverable Lolarado. If it can be done in battleships, it can certainly be done in destroyers, but that's just my 0.02

^This

shan5481 #13 Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:28 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostTheGreatBlasto, on 17 March 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

Spoiler

This. Or good ol' WASD hacks XD

Also tagged with DD, torpedo plane, attacks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users