What should I do to improve cruiser line and captains?

tutorial

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Player_9953674122 #1 Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:03 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Thanks to those generous folks who post tutorials and videos I am no longer at the bottom of my team list. Now I'm about the middle and once in a while make the top of the list. I would appreciate your suggestions for how to continue learning how to drive cruisers.

I mostly drive the Phoenix and enjoy killing sneaky destroyers and torching fat BBs. While the Phoenix is fragile, I regard that deficit as a learning aid sort of like learning how to kayak in a tippy boat: when you make a mistake there is immediate feedback. Phoenix is a free premium IV cruiser. Its Captain just got promoted to 15 points. Also have St Louis with a 10 point Captain and Omaha with  a 3 pointer.

Should I leave the 15 pointer in Phoenix and hope that he eventually becomes Elite or is it better to transfer him to another ship?

Should I work my way up the US cruiser line or start a different nation's cruisers? If so what line do you recommend for higher level play?

Thanks for your advice.

ckupf #2 Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

Since it sounds like you know the basics I won't talk about no straight lines etc.

Phoenix is not a premium cruiser. Yours is elite, there's a difference. Premiums earn extra credits and xp, elite ships earn convertible xp. I'd recommend going up the line a bit to see if you like mid tiers too. You can move the captain if you want him to be your main line captain. 15 points is pretty high for a t4 captain honestly, you might want to move him if you want to grind the line. If not then that's fine, enjoy your Phoenix, personally I liked the Omaha much more and have both Omaha clones in my port, although they are not as powerful as they used to be.

As for things to know. Knowing when to disengage is one of the most important skills to develop. Also in a cruiser don't show side to use torps when guns will do the trick, the number of times I've seen a cruiser citadeled at close range by a BB on 1k hp for exposing its side to drop torps is astonishingly high. Torps on cruisers are primarily defensive or a weapon of last resort. Being aggressive with torps (except IJN and RN cruisers which get longer range torps) in a cruiser can be risky. Learning to cycle your ammo is obviously important, that USN AP is excellent at close ranges but lacking at 10km+ at that tier. The HE is very good so, and it sounds you know how to use it well.

For lines here are my thoughts (I have every T10 cruiser fwiw)

The USN cruiser line is the weakest despite recent buffs. I enjoyed it except for T8, although 7-9 were not at all easy, I haven't rebought any of them and likely won't. Shell trajectory, lack of torps, and lack of usefulness as support ships are major downsides to the line. Addition of radar only solidified the place of these as support ship.

Germany has a solid line that plays conventionally. CLs to T6 like the USN and then CAs after that. The AP on that line provides good alpha and should be used primarily. The HE is fine for when you need to start fires or nuke broadside destroyers. AA is decent, everything from T4 on up as torps, you get superior hydro, and decent armor at high tiers. Shell trajectory is solid also. The weak links are the Karlsruhe at T4, which sucks, and the Yorck at T7 which is an HE cruiser that plays weirdly. The Hipper is solid but not great at T8. Every other ship I loved. 

Russia has a powerful line of HE spammers with flat trajectories. These are excellent fire starters with solid AP to boot. Torps are short range and purely defensive. The Moskva is a different beast at T10, no torps, but powerful guns and a lot of HP. She's a behemoth but handles poorly for a cruiser and lacks the armor for her size. These ships are prone to taking citadels, but they perform well. CLs through T8 the line doesn't really change, every ship is just a bit better than the last. It's an enjoyable line. Radar at T8+ is nice too.

IJN provides another HE heavy line. They have the lowest switch to 8" guns at T5, making the Furutaka and Aoba powerful cruisers in terms of alpha, but a little out of place and vulnerable as there armor and gunhandling trail their guns. The HE on this line has the highest alpha and fire chance, but a low ROF counterbalances that. The AP can be devastating at close-mid ranges if you have it loaded at the right time. This was my first cruiser line and I enjoyed it. T7-9 are all pretty similar (after you upgrade the Mogami's guns anyway). The armor isn't amazing, but these things ride low on the water which means you take less hits, particular HE hits not aimed at the water line. The torps are excellent but can only be fired aftwards. Solid concealment and decent armor make this line a conventional yet solid choice. Zao at T10 is one of my favorite ships in the game. One thing to note is this line's weak AA.

Don't play British CLs yet. The line is far too high skill cap. You should grind something else. These cruisers do not perform well until your past the learning how to play phase. Only AP, no armor, but smokescreens and heals. These CLs are dangerous, but hard to play and unforgiving. They require high level captains to maximize their ability. CE is a must.

TL;DR

Don't grind USN first, tiers 7-9 are salt inducing.

German line, recommended, AP shooters, straight up and down cruisers. 6km torps that are solid, but not impressive.

Russian Cruisers, recommended, mostly CLs, firestarters with great trajectory and solid AP too. Short range torps that are kinda meh.

IJN cruisers, recommended, mostly HE shooters, but AP is fine too, mostly CAs. Good torps with bad firing angles.

RN CLs hard to play, try later.

Edited by ckupf, 17 March 2017 - 06:31 AM.

alexf24 #3 Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:38 AM

Captain

• Members

I could not have said it better, and agree with ckupf above. I also have all the T10 cruisers and most of the line is still in port (except Phoenix, Tenryu, Aoba, Mogami, Nürnberg, Hipper, and all Brits below Leander, which were sold). I would start with the IJN line to get to Furutaka. This way, once upgraded to double guns you have a powerful ship and your fist encounter with heavy cruisers (CA). This will teach you how to handle most lines going forward, and see if you like CA play. It is different, with bigger guns, 203mm to 210mm shells, high Alpha impact, but slower RoF. If you don't like them, then you know at T5. Furutaka is a sample of what the rest of the line is like going up (until Ibuki), but has better torpedo angles than the rest of them (premium ships not considered). The only glitch is that T5 is now a bad spot, as often gets uptiered and can see T7 ships. That is a big problem for cruisers. In T4 you are protected and seeing T6 is more rare.

As for captains, I always move my best captain up the line. 15 points in a Phoenix is very high, and unless you plan to stay there (nothing wrong with that), you usually move your best captain to the next ship, and retrain for 200k credits and grind.

I shoot an arrow in the air, where it lands I do not care, I get my arrows wholesale -- Curly Howard (with a wink to Longfellow)

Player_9953674122 #4 Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Thank you for the very helpful and thoughtful replies. I was just about to transfer my 15 pointer to Omaha when an urgent question came to mind. If he gets homesick can he  return to Phoenix without a retraining penalty?

My initial efforts with a basic Omaha have been discouraging because I tend to get wiped out by a Tier 7 ship. I'm hoping a better captain will improve my odds. I guess I should also upgrade some modules.

I 'm trying to decide between IJN and Russian cruiser lines. I really like the high ROF in St Louis and Phoenix because it allows me to ripple successive shots along a guestimated path. I seem to do better with this than with broadsides. Is there a difference in  ROF between IJN and Russian cruisers?

I appreciate that you are willing to share your extensive experience with a newbie.

Kizarvexis #5 Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostPlayer_9953674122, on 18 March 2017 - 01:31 AM, said:

Thank you for the very helpful and thoughtful replies. I was just about to transfer my 15 pointer to Omaha when an urgent question came to mind. If he gets homesick can he  return to Phoenix without a retraining penalty?

My initial efforts with a basic Omaha have been discouraging because I tend to get wiped out by a Tier 7 ship. I'm hoping a better captain will improve my odds. I guess I should also upgrade some modules.

I 'm trying to decide between IJN and Russian cruiser lines. I really like the high ROF in St Louis and Phoenix because it allows me to ripple successive shots along a guestimated path. I seem to do better with this than with broadsides. Is there a difference in  ROF between IJN and Russian cruisers?

I appreciate that you are willing to share your extensive experience with a newbie.

Each captain can only have one tech tree ship trained at a time. So in your case, if you move the 15pt Phoenix captain to the Omaha, he can not go back to the Phoenix without retraining again for the Phoenix. Some people have lots of doubloons (gold) and just move captains around and pay the 500 gold for instant training. If you hoard your gold, like most players I believe, you have to spend time to retrain them and this is where a premium ship like the Sims, Texas or Arizona comes in to play.

Ships like your Phoenix and St. Louis are elite. Once you have researched all the modules and unlocked the next tier ship, that ship becomes elite. You can still earn XP on it, but can convert it to Free XP with gold. This is a good weekend to convert elite XP as the conversion is 1:35 (1 gold for 35 Free XP) until early morning March 20th, 2017. Usually it is 1:25.

A premium ship, like the Smith, Arizona, Texas, etc has the same restriction on XP, you have to convert it to Free XP with gold just like elite ships. But it has benefits for captain training. You can put any US captain into any US premium ship with no captain retraining needed. And the captain doesn't lose their tech tree training. So for example, let's look at if you picked up the Arizona for $29.99 in the premium shop. You decided to move your 15pt Phoenix captain to the Omaha. You move the captain and pick either free training (100,000 xp needed) or the 200,000 silver half XP retraining option (50,000xp needed) for the captain. Now he is retraining on the Omaha and can not go back to the Phoenix without retraining. Now, you can do the retraining on the Omaha with some of the skills working at half effectiveness and some not working at all until he is retrained. Or you can move him to a premium, like the hypothetical Arizona purchase mentioned earlier. When you put the 15pt Omaha captain who is retraining into the Arizona, all of his skills will work 100% and any captain xp earned in the Arizona goes towards his Omaha retraining. So after you earn his retraining captain XP in the Arizona (or any other US premium), he can move back to the Omaha fully trained.

It is nice, but not required, to have at least one premium for each nation you play, as then moving captains around is much easier. Premiums earn more credits and all of them have permanent camo, so get XP earning bonuses as well. If you have more than one premium for a nation, then captain retraining can be much faster. Say you have the Indianapolis, Arizona and Smith. You move your Omaha captain, who is retraining, into the Indianapolis and take advantage of the first win bonus for that day. Then put him into the Arizona and do the same and then the Smith and get the first win bonus again. Normally, that would be three 50% first win bonuses for that captain, but for an event like this weekend, it would be 100% each. Of course adding the XP signal flags will help speed training along as well. 

Most people move their highest tier captain up the line as they go higher up the tree. If you do get a premium, move that captain to a tech tree ship and don't have a dedicated captain for the premium. Since you can put whatever captain from that nation into the premium at any time, just move a captain over when you want to play the premium. I made this mistake at first.

All premiums I listed are examples and you can get whichever premium you like. Personally, I took advantage of a big Thanksgiving bundle, so I have most of them. I'm an average player, so I don't know if my experience in any premium would be helpful as I have bounced around from ship to ship a lot. Some people will tell you that this particular premium stinks and you should buy this other one as it is OP. Another person will tell you the reverse. Check out youtube reviews and/or read Mouse's excellent guides before deciding on a premium. If you can play the sister ship to the premium, like say the New York to the premium Texas, it can give you an idea what the premium is like as well.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/117549-mouses-new-summary-of-premium-ships/

A $6.99 ship like the Smith is just like a $34.99 Indianapolis when it comes to retraining. The price difference is that Smith is Tier 2 and Indianapolis is a Tier 7. The higher the tier, the more XP a ship tends to earn, so you want to find a premium that fits the level you want to train at. Personally, I retrain at T5 & T6 mostly as I'm still figuring out higher tier play. Smith is a DD and Indianapolis is a heavy cruiser, but you can train any US captain in either. If you have the $$, then of course it helps to have a trainer for each line in each nation as the skills will fit better, but once again is NOT required.

WG does shuffle premium ships around, so ships like the Marblehead (Omaha clone) will come up for sale again and some of the current ones will go on holiday. Others have been retired, like the Gremyashchy, and can only be received as prizes in some type of event like the Christmas Santa boxes. Some you can earn like the current Katori event that runs until early morning April 1st.

The majority of the people here are friendly and helpful. Some have become so infused with salt, you just have to ignore them.

Forgot to answer on ROF for IJN and VMF. The IJN tends to have the lowest ROF and turrets that turn slow, but has better torps. VMF seems middle of the road on ROF, but hits hard and has the worst torps. Some ships like the VMF Krasny Krym have insane rates of fire as it uses 130mm guns. The VMF Murmansk is an Omaha clone, so when it comes back on sale, it might be nice if you end up liking the Omaha. DO check out Mouse's reviews on premiums as the premiums in a line tend to reflect the line, but not always. There are some outliers.

P.S. When you first play a ship, don't decide on if you like it until it is upgraded. There was many a ship that I thought stunk at first that I ended up liking once I got it upgraded.

Edited by Kizarvexis, 18 March 2017 - 11:09 AM.

Also tagged with tutorial

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users