Carriers the coming changes

Should I keep my CV?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Chaos_EN2 #1 Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Well I have a CV for almost 2 wks now, got the Langley and have research the Bogue. But with all these changes to the CV that I have seen posted here that are/maybe coming I am not sure if still I should go with CVs?

Some of these changes that I have seen sound good, but I am new and still learning so I am not sure.

Edited by Kenneth_Armstrong, 16 March 2017 - 04:06 PM.

Proud Former USN Sailor - EN2 1978-1986 - USS El Paso LKA-117 - USS Whidbey Island LSD-41 (Plank Owner), Proud Member of Grey Wolf Gamers http://graywolfgamers.enjin.com/ Current Ships - Smith, Friant, Okhotnik, Perth, Fiji

Show_Me_Your_Cits #2 Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:54 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

If you like it, stick with it. It's a rather long learning curve that WG is about to make even longer with the removal of manual attacks for T4/5 in 6.3. So practice them in the low tier sandbox while you can. 
Muh 1337 stets. 

Chaos_EN2 #3 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostShow_Me_Your_Cits, on 16 March 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

If you like it, stick with it. It's a rather long learning curve that WG is about to make even longer with the removal of manual attacks for T4/5 in 6.3. So practice them in the low tier sandbox while you can.

Yea I am trying having a harder time with DBs than TBs, I do like them (more than I thought I would), I have even thought about selling my TL5 BB - Konig to help get the Bogue.

And thanks for the advice/help

Edited by Kenneth_Armstrong, 16 March 2017 - 04:14 PM.

Proud Former USN Sailor - EN2 1978-1986 - USS El Paso LKA-117 - USS Whidbey Island LSD-41 (Plank Owner), Proud Member of Grey Wolf Gamers http://graywolfgamers.enjin.com/ Current Ships - Smith, Friant, Okhotnik, Perth, Fiji

Ace_04 #4 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostShow_Me_Your_Cits, on 16 March 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

Agreed.  Stick with it if you enjoy that style of play.

Personally, I've never ventured very far into learning CV's, but may give them another shot once the new interface is in place.

[-K-] Kraken

"In war, there are no atheists.  Both sides are asking God for help" - Cmdr. Terry Goddard

pewpewpew42 #5 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Get used to manual attacks before they become unavailable until T6. It will help you later on!
light.png

Chaos_EN2 #6 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Postpewpewpew42, on 16 March 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

Get used to manual attacks before they become unavailable until T6. It will help you later on!

Copy

Do any of you just mainly play CVs?

Estimated_Prophet #7 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

Commander

• Members

Long time player of CVs, though not one of the super players...

Stick with it; it's feast and famine more than a lot of other ships, and you'll have a lot of sucky games perhaps; but that feeling when you have and awesome game; or carry a potential loss, is hard to beat

Practice, practice, practice... Especially with manual bomb drops. I suck so bad at that for never learning how it's almost too late for me to learn; in my mind 'Manual bomb drop' = 'License to miss.' Manual torpedo drop I've mostly got down.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

Destroyer_Teruzuki #8 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostKenneth_Armstrong, on 16 March 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

Copy

Do any of you just mainly play CVs?

Used to play CVs loads back in CBT and the earlier months of OBT. Played them all the way until the great-AA-buff-of-some-patch that made almost any ship tier 8+ a no-fly-zone.

I'm curious as to how WG is going to "fix" CVs, but currently their plans of moving the manual attack capability up 2 tiers seems to be detrimental for the lower tier carriers, as when they are matched against tier 6 carriers they will get wiped off the board by strafes (which they can't do, and probably will not know about). I'm hoping there is some master scheme behind it all, but it is WG and we will quite literally have to wait until the release of the patch before anything is set in stone.

Chaos_EN2 #9 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostEstimated_Prophet, on 16 March 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

Long time player of CVs, though not one of the super players...

Stick with it; it's feast and famine more than a lot of other ships, and you'll have a lot of sucky games perhaps; but that feeling when you have and awesome game; or carry a potential loss, is hard to beat

Practice, practice, practice... Especially with manual bomb drops. I suck so bad at that for never learning how it's almost too late for me to learn; in my mind 'Manual bomb drop' = 'License to miss.' Manual torpedo drop I've mostly got down.

Yea I have already seen that already, there is times my Langley is like most dangerous ship on the high seas. Then it is like oh crap a DD has seen me :hiding: LoL.

Edited by Kenneth_Armstrong, 16 March 2017 - 04:39 PM.

Chaos_EN2 #10 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostDestroyer_Teruzuki, on 16 March 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

Used to play CVs loads back in CBT and the earlier months of OBT. Played them all the way until the great-AA-buff-of-some-patch that made almost any ship tier 8+ a no-fly-zone.

I'm curious as to how WG is going to "fix" CVs, but currently their plans of moving the manual attack capability up 2 tiers seems to be detrimental for the lower tier carriers, as when they are matched against tier 6 carriers they will get wiped off the board by strafes (which they can't do, and probably will not know about). I'm hoping there is some master scheme behind it all, but it is WG and we will quite literally have to wait until the release of the patch before anything is set in stone.

That is my worry is the "FIX", I am still learning to manual drop, strafe, etc. and now someone at WG says lets take it away for the lower TL. I have seen how the MM works when you get to TL5 it is being hit with a cast iron skillet in your face - "Congrats you have reached TL5 as your award you are going to face off against 12 TL7 Congrats Again"

poeticmotion #11 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

If you want to CV, then CV. You'll still learn things that will come in handy when the rework happens, which will be soon™.

Tier 10: Khabarovsk, Kurfurst, Minotaur, Tier 9: Fletcher, Friedrich, Udaloi,, Z-46 Tier 8: North Carolina, Bismarck, Z-23, Edinburgh ARP Takao, Akizuki, Kiev, Ognevoi Tier 7: all ARP Myokos, Gneisenau, Leningrad, ShiratsuyuFiji, Tier 6: Budyonny, FarragutShinonome, Fuso, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee  Tier 5: Kamikaze-R, all ARP Kongos Tier 4: Clemson, IshizuchiV170, Kaiser Tier 2: Tachibana, Mikasa

My guides: Poetic's Guide To Getting Gud Or At Least Less Bad: Tips From A Former Potato     Poetic's post-0.6.0 guide to DD skills and capt builds

The URL Guy is OP, but please don't nerf him. 

noobmaster29 #12 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

Seaman

• Members

View PostKenneth_Armstrong, on 16 March 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

That is my worry is the "FIX", I am still learning to manual drop, strafe, etc. and now someone at WG says lets take it away for the lower TL. I have seen how the MM works when you get to TL5 it is being hit with a cast iron skillet in your face - "Congrats you have reached TL5 as your award you are going to face off against 12 TL7 Congrats Again"

My best suggestion right now is to hurry and get the T6 CV(s) you want. Unless WG somehow changes autodrop mechanics, the manual drop removal will render low tier CVs a complete joke. The grind will be beyond painful.

Also, T6 CVs don't get the MM help that T4 and 5 CVs get (one tier difference MM). It will be a nightmare practicing manual drops in a T8 MM with all the insane AA running around. Even a "bad" T8 AA ship will absolutely shred your T6 planes. 

Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper #13 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Well, if you are really into CVs, then you can grind through the Bogue to the Independence not long after the next patch hits. If you still want to practice manual attacks, then you can go onto the T6+ CVs on the PT server.

"I had to find myself another flagship because I could no longer exercise command from one which was shot to pieces."

Ships in Port:

German Tech Tree Suggestion     Enable Training Rooms Manually

HazeGrayUnderway #14 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

Get the hang of it at Tier IV / V.  When you get to Tier VI it's going to be more challenging.  The AA starts ramping up and you'll have the privilege and learning experience of sending Tier VI bombers against an AA Spec North Carolina.  Tier VI CVs in that scenario are building up on your prior experience of  making a tough choice on making an important attack run to the cost in aircraft.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 16 March 2017 - 05:35 PM.

Chaos_EN2 #15 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Okay thanks to all, I think CV are the way I am going to go. I like the BBs but I am not a very good shot. At least that is what I am always told :)

HazeGrayUnderway #16 Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostKenneth_Armstrong, on 16 March 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

Okay thanks to all, I think CV are the way I am going to go. I like the BBs but I am not a very good shot. At least that is what I am always told :)

BB shooting is fine provided you're not sitting at the back at long range, if you are doing this as a BB, you are spectacularly failing your team.  15-16km, less is the ideal engagement envelope, 12 is a very good compromise for proximity and range for safety.  As you creep to shorter ranges, yes your shooting gets easier but with higher tiers comes longer ranged, deadlier torpedoes.  Tier VIII+, be careful of that deadly 10km threshold due to torpedoes that you didn't account for.

Chaos_EN2 #17 Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:16 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 16 March 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

BB shooting is fine provided you're not sitting at the back at long range, if you are doing this as a BB, you are spectacularly failing your team.  15-16km, less is the ideal engagement envelope, 12 is a very good compromise for proximity and range for safety.  As you creep to shorter ranges, yes your shooting gets easier but with higher tiers comes longer ranged, deadlier torpedoes.  Tier VIII+, be careful of that deadly 10km threshold due to torpedoes that you didn't account for.

Thanks Haze but I get told that at short, long LOL you miss once your a newbie, etc. LoL:trollface: I just did not realize how many perfect players there are in WoWs:trollface:

AhosChaos #18 Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:21 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Sticking to CV's will probably be fine for a little while, but it is important that you learn how to manual drop and practice as much as you can before the changes come.  Seeing as you talk about the Langley and Bogue, I assume you don't have any IJN CV's, so maybe try to get the Hosho and learn auto and manual TB cross dropping.

Really once you know how to manual drop a DD with US TB's, that's the threshold into higher level CV play.

Also you said you are having trouble with DB's, so my advice is to have your DB's approach a BB from the bow with an auto attack set, then hold down the ALT key position the DB green circle so that it covers about 50%-75% of the BB you are attacking, with the remaining % being over the water in front of the ship.  Then when your DB's get close to the dashed line of the manual drop just click down and you should score some hits.  Eventually you can start practicing on CA's and DD's where you do the same thing, but you change your lead.  You can also do this with your DB's flying in from behind the ship, it is probably easier to do so with DD's.  It is really just a lot of practice.  Like TB's you will eventually learn how fast ships move and how much they can turn.

It's a lot of practice so practice while you can

Completely unrelated, but I'm putting this at the end of my posts until Zoup notices me

Rip stat.png

I was Unicum in BB's and CV's with a WTR of 1798 and 1777 ... for one day, but hey I was Unicum

"If you kill me I'll buy you an Okhotnik"-NoZoupForYou 3/10/17 roughly 7:09 PST - I guess Zoup is going to buy me an Okhotnik- The real question is when though-Read my most recent Baltimore post for proof

3/19/17 1:55 PST NoZoupForYou became a god in my heart

Chaos_EN2 #19 Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:30 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostAhosChaos, on 16 March 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

Sticking to CV's will probably be fine for a little while, but it is important that you learn how to manual drop and practice as much as you can before the changes come.  Seeing as you talk about the Langley and Bogue, I assume you don't have any IJN CV's, so maybe try to get the Hosho and learn auto and manual TB cross dropping.

Really once you know how to manual drop a DD with US TB's, that's the threshold into higher level CV play.

Also you said you are having trouble with DB's, so my advice is to have your DB's approach a BB from the bow with an auto attack set, then hold down the ALT key position the DB green circle so that it covers about 50%-75% of the BB you are attacking, with the remaining % being over the water in front of the ship.  Then when your DB's get close to the dashed line of the manual drop just click down and you should score some hits.  Eventually you can start practicing on CA's and DD's where you do the same thing, but you change your lead.  You can also do this with your DB's flying in from behind the ship, it is probably easier to do so with DD's.  It is really just a lot of practice.  Like TB's you will eventually learn how fast ships move and how much they can turn.

It's a lot of practice so practice while you can

Completely unrelated, but I'm putting this at the end of my posts until Zoup notices me

Okay Thanks AhosChaos I try that :)

Aduial #20 Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

With the upcoming changes, any carrier below tier 6 is going to be unplayable. So I suggest you get to the Independence before that. 

My terrible stats:

My Favorite ships: Mogami,  Clemson, T8 Fubuki, Mikasa, Gneisenau, Fletcher

Aduial's commander build recommendations (post 0.6.0)               Remove Detonations from Ranked battles                 Rebalancing Aircraft Loadouts          Repair Party for Tier 8 Cruisers?           Strafing:           Suggestion about carrier MM          

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users