Benefits of Manual Targeting Questions as of 6.2.1

secondaries manual aa

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

SnowbirdSwan #1 Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

Looking for a link or an official explanation of the advantages and disadvantages of the following

1. Manually selecting AA target.

2. Manually selecting Secondary target.

Please assume that I am asking the benefits of this based on NO additional Commander perks. ie.  I understand that manual secondaries won't fire without a target selected if you have the skill "Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament"  and I understand you don't get the bonus for the skill "Manual Fire Control for AA  Armament" except on the selected target. 

pewpewpew42 #2 Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I think manually picking for AA gives a small DPM boost, and manually picking for secondaries makes them a tad more accurate. I could be mistaken, but I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I am.

light.png

ValkyrWarframe #3 Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Commander

• Members

Manually selecting an AA target focuses all your AA guns on that target if the target is in range.  Let's say a fighter squad is at 2 km, and a torpedo bomber squad is at 3.5 km, and my AA ranges are 5.7/3.5/3.1 km.  If I focus the torpedo bomber squad at 3.5 km, my 5.7 km and 3.5 km AA guns will specifically shoot at that squad, but my 3.1 km AA guns will still shoot the fighter squad at 2 km.  If that torpedo bomber squad gets to 3.1 km, all AA guns will shoot it.

Now for selecting secondary target, I am not sure if there is any merit besides all your secondary guns firing on the target (if arcs permit) when there are two targets.  Basically, if there are two ships surrounding my ship and my secondaries have a choice in terms of targets and I manually select one, the secondaries will prioritize that target.  That does not mean secondaries that cannot fire at the designated target will not fire, but when they can, they will target the selected enemy.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe, 16 March 2017 - 01:45 PM.

*In top 50 players on the server 

USN: Clemson, Benson, St. Louis, Cleveland, Atlanta* (Gift from an Anonymous User), New Orleans, New York, North Carolina, Strike Bogue, Strike Ranger, Lexington

IJN/Fleet of Fog: Hatsuharu, Kagero, Furutaka, ARP Ashigara/Haguro/Myoko/Nachi Mogami, ARP Takao, Mikasa, ARP Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima/KongouNagamon, Amagi, Ryujo

Soviet Union/Russia/Royal Navy: Kiev, Ognevoi, Svietlana*, Kirov*(My Guide), Chapayev, Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva* (My Guide)Black Swan (kek), Fiji, Edinburgh

Kriegsmarine/Marine NationaleT-22Konigsberg, Admiral Graf Spee, Yorck, Nassau, Gneisenau, Dunkerque (Gift from TenguBlade)

Shield380 #4 Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

When designating a secondaries target, ALL secondaries on your ship try to fire at that target. This means that if you have two people in secondary range but on opposite sides of the ship, only one side of secondaries will fire because the others are "trying" to shoot at the target you have designated. So if your Bismarck has a Scharnhorst to the right and a Fletcher to the left and you select the Scharhorst, the secondaries will only fire at the Scharnhorst because the other side is trying (and failing) to shoot the Scharn. So the Fletcher would be left unharmed. 

Hope that makes sense...

Wulfgarn #5 Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Concentrated fire on a single target, but no clue what the exact value is.

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee.. THANKS SANTAKonig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

pmgaudio #6 Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostShield380, on 16 March 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

When designating a secondaries target, ALL secondaries on your ship try to fire at that target. This means that if you have two people in secondary range but on opposite sides of the ship, only one side of secondaries will fire because the others are "trying" to shoot at the target you have designated. So if your Bismarck has a Scharnhorst to the right and a Fletcher to the left and you select the Scharhorst, the secondaries will only fire at the Scharnhorst because the other side is trying (and failing) to shoot the Scharn. So the Fletcher would be left unharmed. 

Hope that makes sense...

IIRC this only happens if you have the Capt skill (in which case NO guns will fire UNTIL you select a target)
I have the Tier nine German and sec'd fire on all targets in range regardless of my ":selection" I am pretty sure about that anyway... I will experiment more at lunch....
But if you select a target without the Capt skill I do believe they will fire at targets on either side of the ship... but will "prioritize" selected targets...
again I could be wrong, but I do recall my Freddy shooting two ships even though I selected one...

“Leave the gun....
Take the Cannoli”
  __Clemenza

:child:

CapnCappy #7 Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View Postpmgaudio, on 16 March 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

IIRC this only happens if you have the Capt skill (in which case NO guns will fire UNTIL you select a target)
I have the Tier nine German and sec'd fire on all targets in range regardless of my ":selection" I am pretty sure about that anyway... I will experiment more at lunch....
But if you select a target without the Capt skill I do believe they will fire at targets on either side of the ship... but will "prioritize" selected targets...
again I could be wrong, but I do recall my Freddy shooting two ships even though I selected one...

This is correct for non-Manual secondaries captains. My secondaries fire at everything, I just prioritize among ships on the one side (like fire at the DD instead of the BB). Meanwhile the secondaries on the other side of the ship are happily firing away at something else.

CapnCappy's PC build

CapnCappy Stats

Patchy the Pirate says - "When we be seein' Russian battleships and carriers? I hears they can fly an shoot laser beams."

LittleWhiteMouse #8 Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

For anti-aircraft firepower,

• Without the skill, when you select a target to shoot at with your guns, the DPS of all of your AA guns increases by 10%
  • With the skill, when you select a target to shoot at with your guns, the DPS of all of your AA guns increases by 10%.  In addition, your guns of 85mm of larger, you would ALSO gain an additional 100% damage.

MATH TIME!

USS Alabama has the following calibers of AA guns:  127mm, 40mm and 20mm.  They do the following DPS:  151, 191 and 187 respectively.

• When you manually select aircraft to shoot at WITHOUT the skill, this DPS changes by 10% to:  166, 210 and 206.
  • When you manually select aircraft to shoot at WITH the skill, this DPS changes to:  332, 210 and 206, effectively doubling your 127mm AA DPS.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, 16 March 2017 - 02:48 PM.

Lord_Breetai #9 Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

Seaman

• Members

I always select a target. With or without skills. I think its a good habit to get into and with even a little AA DPM boost that's worth it right there. I always prioritize Torpedo Bombers and DDs. I think that's probably saved me HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of points of incoming damage over time.

Maybe im off my rocker. There are more experienced players than me out there Im sure.

Also tagged with secondaries, manual, aa

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users